"Life Without Bread"

Laura said:
Got a new book today: "Primal Body, Primal Mind" Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life" by Nora T. Gedgaudas.

Funny, got it too.

Here's a podcast with here on the re-release of her book.

Stranger said:
Laura said:
Got a new book today: "Primal Body, Primal Mind" Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life" by Nora T. Gedgaudas.

Funny, got it too.

Here's a podcast with here on the re-release of her book.

Yeah, I've got it on my "to read" stack also. I still haven't made it through ASLCL yet, though and I've paused part way through The Ketogenic Diet (think I need to take a speed reading course!).

So here's a conundrum: the last two nights in a row I've had major leg cramps in my calves. The first night it was my right calf and was a brutal cramp that was sore all day. Last night, or actually this morning, it was in my left calf, but not as bad (I may just have caught it before it progressed to far).

I don't get it :huh: I'm taking lots of magnesium and potassium, have recently increased the amount of salt I'm eating, including it in my water. I also rubbed magnesium oil on both calves yesterday morning and this morning. I can't figure out why this happened to me. Anyone have any ideas? Can leg cramps happen from low calcium? I haven't been taking any calcium, although I did powder some egg shells recently and started putting a pinch in my water. Maybe it's time to start supplementing it more earnestly?

dugdeep said:
So here's a conundrum: the last two nights in a row I've had major leg cramps in my calves. The first night it was my right calf and was a brutal cramp that was sore all day. Last night, or actually this morning, it was in my left calf, but not as bad (I may just have caught it before it progressed to far).

I don't get it :huh: I'm taking lots of magnesium and potassium, have recently increased the amount of salt I'm eating, including it in my water. I also rubbed magnesium oil on both calves yesterday morning and this morning. I can't figure out why this happened to me. Anyone have any ideas? Can leg cramps happen from low calcium? I haven't been taking any calcium, although I did powder some egg shells recently and started putting a pinch in my water. Maybe it's time to start supplementing it more earnestly?

Yes indeed, we need to figure some of these things out. Have to read faster. Maybe I'll find an answer to the issues several of us are having in this current book.

Back to reading. Will report anything interesting.

Supplementing with L-carnitine worked for me on this score.

However, diarrhea is still persistent and yesterday I was so out of whack I needed two naps in the afternoon to make it through the day!

Kniall said:
[...] Anyone have any ideas? Can leg cramps happen from low calcium? I haven't been taking any calcium, although I did powder some egg shells recently and started putting a pinch in my water. Maybe it's time to start supplementing it more earnestly?

Yeah, L-carnitine is actually the only thing that is emphasized in Life Without Bread for cramps, but low calcium can also cause cramps.

Just to report I increased my carbs to just under 30 and as far as I can tell, I'm still in ketosis. No carb cravings, and urine strips showing (pink)moderate. Although I don't feel turbo charged, my energy levels are steady and I feel very well. I've actually noticed more change in my mood than anything else. I've had some moments lately where I noticed that I was feeling really happy for no particular reason!

dugdeep said:

I had a period with legs cramps as well dugdeep, and it just went away, I supposed as I got adapted to the diet. That (leg cramps), was totally new for me as I had only experienced it once in my left calf in my entire life!
Besides supplementing with L-carnitine as suggested, you mentioned in your post that you are taking lots of magnesium. Well, in that crampy phase of mine, I had to stop magnesium as it was making it worse. This idea came after reading a few reports here and there from other members who were suffering from cramps if taking too much magnesium. Having stopped the magnesium for a while stopped the cramps for me, I am now taking magnesium again without a problem, but I also feel that I have adapted to the diet, whilst before I was still in the adaptation phase.

Just to report that I think I found what was causing my previous symptoms of bloating and constipation, and am starting to get it under control. I noticed that if I have a lot of warm liquid fats with one meal, my abdomen becomes bloated, can stay that way for days in a row, and I become constipated. However, if I have more fat between meals, that is cold and solid, I'm fine.

I can eat fatty meats without a problem, not only the fat is my favorite part, but it doesn't seem to be causing any IBS symptoms. The problem is with excess liquid fat, that makes me nauseous and bloated. So I am now having my fatty meats with only a little bit of added fat, juts for taste and to have a bit of sauce/iquid, and in between meals I snack on cold ghee or coconut oil. That seems to really be helping.

On the other hand, I've noticed no difference when I take or don't take digestive enzymes. So I've stopped taking them for the time being.
Aloe vera and peppermint have also helped immensely in calming my symptoms down when I overeat warm liquid fat, as in when a meal is really, really tasty....

dugdeep said:

Another cause of leg cramps is lack of calcium (another electrolyte). Hence the importance of bone broth and/or electrolytes.

Kniall said:
However, diarrhea is still persistent and yesterday I was so out of whack I needed two naps in the afternoon to make it through the day!

Are you taking digestive enzymes? If so try not taking them for a while and see what happens.
Try different fats too, as some really don't agree with me (ghee for example - but I think its just the way the brand I use is processed, its not organic).
The need for electrolytes/water after diarrhea is really important.

I've also been able to be virtually cramp-free since introducing L-carnitine even though it's a bit touch and go. If I increase the L-carnitine too much my stomach gets upset and if it's too little the calves aren't too happy.

Regarding the egg-shell based calcium I've tried it for two days and each time I've gotten brain-fog shortly thereafter. I'll give it one more try tomorrow and see if the problem persists and if so, I'll have to stop it.

I did a search on calcium and brain fog and found the following that I think might be important but I am not qualified to judge it properly.

From http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/brain_fog.htm

A calcium shell and brain fog. Another toxic mineral problem occurs when the level of soft tissue calcium increases in the body. We call this a calcium shell. The calcium tends to dull or numb the brain somewhat. One usually becomes somewhat out of touch with reality. It can cause diminished awareness, heaviness, depression, mental fatigue and other symptoms of brain fog. This usually corrects quickly with a nutritional balancing program. Click here to read more about a Calcium Shell.

The link to the Calcium Shell seems thorough and the author seems knowledgeable, although I find it pushing a particular type of hair mineral test too much.

Growing up I used to drink about three liters of milk daily until about age 10 which I have never thought of as a problem until now. Maybe there is some calcium imbalance going on.

From the same page, the author has the following to say about vegetarian diets that I find to be very much in line with the topic of this thread:

Problems with vegetarian diets. Vegetarian diets are high in copper and low in zinc, a mineral that balances copper. These diets are also often low in other nutrients essential for the brain such as taurine, carnitine, essential fatty acids, alpha lipoic acid, B-complex vitamins and others. Stay away from vegetarian diets if you have brain fog, and be sure to eat meat every single day, at least at one meal.

Many vegetarians believe their diet makes them feel ‘spiritual’, when in fact their feeling of detachment is often a symptom of brain fog brought on by their diet or other factors.

[quote author=RedFox ]

Try different fats too, as some really don't agree with me (ghee for example - but I think its just the way the brand I use is processed, its not organic).
The need for electrolytes/water after diarrhea is really important.
[/quote]

You may be aware, but ghee is really easy to make yourself. I use an organic store brand of butter. The video below is a pretty good one, easy to follow. If you decide to make some, keep a close eye the first couple of times because the thickness of the pan makes a considerable difference on cooking time. (I've burnt a couple of batches using a lighter sauce pan) :zzz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkZgIN4cZYc&feature=related

Shane said:
Oddly enough, coffee knocks me out. It didn't consistently have that effect, but it did often enough. There were times when I couldn't drive home after drinking coffee, and I always drank it black.

I equate drinking coffee to giving me the same "fix" that cigarettes do for smokers. I can tell I'm thinking clearer, have more focus, feel more positive. I can take it or leave it, seem to have no caffeine withdrawal symptoms or headaches, but I only drank organic, and swiss-water-processed decaf. I do notice the "effect" is more noticible if I've not had any in a while tho.

Mrs. Peel said:
I equate drinking coffee to giving me the same "fix" that cigarettes do for smokers. I can tell I'm thinking clearer, have more focus, feel more positive.

Yeah, that's the adrenaline - your adrenals get seriously stressed by coffee. It really pretty much destroys them over time - that adrenal 'kick', though, feels really good. Too bad our bodies pay such a high price for it.

Psyche said:
Kniall said:
[...] Anyone have any ideas? Can leg cramps happen from low calcium? I haven't been taking any calcium, although I did powder some egg shells recently and started putting a pinch in my water. Maybe it's time to start supplementing it more earnestly?

Yeah, L-carnitine is actually the only thing that is emphasized in Life Without Bread for cramps, but low calcium can also cause cramps.

Hmmm, I had a cramp in my calf this morning, briefly. I've also quit taking calcium for a while now, but take LOTS of magnesium. We have a yearly health fair at work where a local hospital comes in and gives some tests, I had a bone density one done where you stick your heel in a machine. Each year, I got a really good score, but this time it was worse. I'm wondering if it was because I quit the calcium. :huh:

anart said:
Yeah, that's the adrenaline - your adrenals get seriously stressed by coffee. It really pretty much destroys them over time - that adrenal 'kick', though, feels really good. Too bad our bodies pay such a high price for it.

Yeah, I would often think, dang, it would be positively heaven to feel this way all the time!! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom