"Life Without Bread"

Galaxia2002 said:
I need some advices here. I am not doing well with the low carb diet. I was not in ketosis because I was not able to low my carbs enough because I have loosing much weight and I am naturally skinny. I tried to eat more fat (as recommend life without bread, and inspired by the testimony of the skinny man in the book and what I read here too) until a max of 50 g/meal, no more than that because I get diarrhea. Here is difficult to buy meat with fat so I had to buy lard and made a "chocolate" (a mix of lard, cocoa, xylitol) to complement the meal. Here does not exist "grass fed" because the meat is imported form who knows where, so I complement with a lot of omega 3 oils. And cooked with a lot of ghee.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I think that reading this thread will REALLY help.

It would seem that the issue could be in your cells (your mitochondria), and that until you have started a real healing process, nothing else will help your situation completely. From the reasearch gathered, apparently you do NOT need any carbs. And they won't help you gain weight either, because your gut is visibly in a bad condition with your IBS symptoms, so eating carbs can only aggravate the situation to the point when you can't absorb any more nutrients.

Let me describe myself a bit. I have been always skinny and years ago I gained some weight and muscle with a traditional high carbohydrate diet, and some weightlifting, that was the only way to put on weight. But almost 1 1/2 -2 years ago I started to change my diet. Included more fat and get down carbs until about 70 -80 g/day, low fiber/few veggies. I was feel just "normal" but the good think is that I never got a cold again, and some pains from inflammation disappeared. I was not hungry hours after the meal and have no cravings, either now. This suggested that I was not insulin Insensitive but lost 6 kg which was fatal to me, I have weakness in my legs and lost much muscular mass even eating enough protein.
I eat for breakfast, eggs, bacon, cassava, and sardines but I suspect this last don't made me good because my colon get inflammed (I recently read about it produces histamine) so I cut it up. But I suspect also about a meat that was stitched but was not in good condition. All my family eat it and started feel bad, some get diarrhea, not me, but I started to fells some discomfort in my colon.

Have you tried working out? Also, when your colon is in a bad shape, we have seen in several cases that it takes about two years to heal, and requires eating practically only fat and meat. It takes a long time and patience!

After three weekends, I am still inflamed, but I have to cut back fat and arise carbs again to gain some weight. (I only eat "safes carbs" .The fat seems to do few in terms of weight in my body, are the carbs what dominates my weight. I am constipated too, typical sign of IBS. 8 years ago I suffered IBS for a short time. The thing is that even eating more carbs I am not gaining weight and that worried me. It seems to me that the time with the high fat/ low carb accelerates so much my metabolism. I also think that smoking could have to do with it. (I am smoking from 1 1/2 years ago)

See above. The reseach on the ketogenic diet might be what you need, FWIW.

I went to the doctor because the IBS and you now traditional doctors said "no fat at all, not fiber while inflammed" but I just reduced the fat. She prescribed me pinaverium bromide or trimebutin to regulate gut motility and enzymes. Pitifully the health insurance from my job take holidays with the university and only attends emergencies. The physician said that when they return to activities a gastroenterologyst will check me and they will do a colonoscopy, and check the thyroid gland.

Well, having some studies made could be a very good thing, so that you have a better idea.

I suspect that maybe is a genetic problem because half of my family is Italian and you know they eat pasta every single day. I was raised with pasta too and maybe the damage is deep to be reversed.

I used to think so, but I don't think it is so sure anymore. When you read about repairs at a cellular level, it IS possible, or so it seems.

I am feeling better from IBS taking bromelain enzymes and probiotics with acupuncture but what worried me more is my weight problem. I am 1,79 mts tall, and weight 60 kg. My body fat % is = 8,3. Actually even eating more carbs I don't feel cravings but I don't want return to a very high carb diet as I was before (I am totally aware of the damage of high carb diets). I don't now if the IBS made food assimilation difficult and that's the reason I can gain weight for the moment.

Exactly, and I don't think carbs are helping you, FWIW.

There is another thing that I noted. Although I eat much meat now than before I don't like the meat odor when is not cooked (specially chicken) and I feel disgust to see some animal viscera in the supermarket. I was never vegetarian but It sounds as I have some program running inside me.
So I need to take that tests, maybe that shed light in what is happening.

Fingers crossed. But I would really like to recommend that you read the thread on the Ketogenic diet. Some skinny people are doing it. Some have even put on weight. In your case, it might take a while, but I think you are probably getting scared and not seeing all options. It's normal, but I think you would benefit from trying to calm down a bit, read that thread, getting those studies done, and make the necessary adjustments. Other people have had similar problems and got MUCH better with the diet. I hope it helps you too.

happyliza said:
After reading the threads and PBPM I started the diet over a year ago. I went back to visit my mum, aunt and sister and they were mortified at the state of me. They said I looked over 90 years old! I didn't exactly feel full of life and have been under continual stress so knew that was a major contribution to how I looked. I had lost so much weight that my skin was flabby plus my eyes were sunken/dark and eyelid red. Also my cheeks were very hollow. So it was quite frightening. I hadn't realised how bad it was as it crept up on me I suppose...

That's what families are for. They are the front-line troops in the "Control System," and you are being controlled. You might very well be underweight, and you might need to do something about that, but that's not the point. Who is running your life? (I am speaking from experience -- I received a lot of similar negative feedback when I brought my weight down from obese to "normal," about 8 years ago).

Do you have an idea of what your ideal weight would be? It would be hard to work toward a goal that you had not yet set.

I must say that My grandfather lived to 92, my grandmother to 94, My mum is 81 and extremely healthy and has more energy than me and can even walk faster than me. But both my father and his mother died at 73 of pulmonary embolism...

It doesn't matter. The environment, food supply, and epigenome are declining rapidly. You belong to a different world. And just as "bad genes" do not predispose you to bad health, "good genes" do not predispose you to good health.

Thanks for your replies! The accupuncture is marvelous, I am feeling much better. I have to travel for 16 days to Argentina to assist to a congress, and after that I will read the ketogenic thread. Although Argentina is the land of tasty meat, breakfasts are a carb party so I suppose I will have to fiddle around and find healty food.

monotonic said:
Galaxia2002, if your gut symptoms are stress-related, this stands out to me. In the KD thread, it has been discussed how stress can work against one getting into the ketogenic diet. It seems like I had the same problem. I was very stressed out. I found the solution was to practice self-acceptance and to release tension in the gut area. There was an immediate change. However I went out of ketosis before this. I will start on the diet again at some point.

I also noted that tension in the gut area! is like a contraction that I feel in the muscles in that area so being aware of that and relax it help me a lot.

Galaxia2002 said:
Thanks for your replies! The accupuncture is marvelous, I am feeling much better. I have to travel for 16 days to Argentina to assist to a congress, and after that I will read the ketogenic thread. Although Argentina is the land of tasty meat, breakfasts are a carb party so I suppose I will have to fiddle around and find healty food.

monotonic said:
Galaxia2002, if your gut symptoms are stress-related, this stands out to me. In the KD thread, it has been discussed how stress can work against one getting into the ketogenic diet. It seems like I had the same problem. I was very stressed out. I found the solution was to practice self-acceptance and to release tension in the gut area. There was an immediate change. However I went out of ketosis before this. I will start on the diet again at some point.

I also noted that tension in the gut area! is like a contraction that I feel in the muscles in that area so being aware of that and relax it help me a lot.

Good luck with the congress! Is that where you are giving your speech, as described in the "throat care" thread? When you sense that you're getting tense, be sure to try the Haragei exercise I posted in that thread, or some Pipe Breathing. I've been meaning to post more exercises, but haven't found the time. One quick thing though; a VERY good thing to do when you feel that your voice is tired, is to do the so called "vocal fry". It's basically like imitating an old door with rusty hinges. You can google "vocal fry" and find e.g. YouTube clips on that. I will post more about this in the appropriate thread.

Aragorn said:
Galaxia2002 said:

monotonic said:

Good luck with the congress! Is that where you are giving your speech, as described in the "throat care" thread? When you sense that you're getting tense, be sure to try the Haragei exercise I posted in that thread, or some Pipe Breathing. I've been meaning to post more exercises, but haven't found the time. One quick thing though; a VERY good thing to do when you feel that your voice is tired, is to do the so called "vocal fry". It's basically like imitating an old door with rusty hinges. You can google "vocal fry" and find e.g. YouTube clips on that. I will post more about this in the appropriate thread.

Thank you so much for your suggestions Aragorn!!!, you have good memory! This will be a short speech and I think should have microphone to help.

Megan said:
happyliza said:
After reading the threads and PBPM I started the diet over a year ago. I went back to visit my mum, aunt and sister and they were mortified at the state of me. They said I looked over 90 years old! I didn't exactly feel full of life and have been under continual stress so knew that was a major contribution to how I looked. I had lost so much weight that my skin was flabby plus my eyes were sunken/dark and eyelid red. Also my cheeks were very hollow. So it was quite frightening. I hadn't realised how bad it was as it crept up on me I suppose...

That's what families are for. They are the front-line troops in the "Control System," and you are being controlled. You might very well be underweight, and you might need to do something about that, but that's not the point. Who is running your life? (I am speaking from experience -- I received a lot of similar negative feedback when I brought my weight down from obese to "normal," about 8 years ago).

Do you have an idea of what your ideal weight would be? It would be hard to work toward a goal that you had not yet set.

I must say that My grandfather lived to 92, my grandmother to 94, My mum is 81 and extremely healthy and has more energy than me and can even walk faster than me. But both my father and his mother died at 73 of pulmonary embolism...

It doesn't matter. The environment, food supply, and epigenome are declining rapidly. You belong to a different world. And just as "bad genes" do not predispose you to bad health, "good genes" do not predispose you to good health.

Thank you for our comments Megan - you are right about being controlled, unfortunately both sides of my family have been 'educators' so yes authoritarians luckily mum is the most open minded. The concern was genuine from her. I am lucky as I mostly lived abroad or away from my family and the 'influence' and have been independently minded. My ideal weight is 9 - 9 1/4 stone. Doctors charts show a huge range but this is right for me without losing lean body mass.

Absolutely agree with a totally different world now - the radiation alone is so serious plus having the best machine to cope through the crisis hopefully - at least to give ourselves the best chance.

Thank you too Laura again for your advice. Understanding is key and I will definitely need to restudy all the relevant links - I still have to read the Life Without Bread, Vegetarian Myth books too which I have. The scientific facts are a high learning curve for me but will persevere as I do not have understanding yet. It makes common sense to me but that is all at the moment, noone has the luxury to play with their health, nor the time.

FWIW I had an unexpected learning curve last night. I had unfortunately received a call to say that friends from my village had been in an horrendous car accident and two lads were critical in intensive care - one in a coma. I was due to eat but went out immediately to obtain more details. Long story short I was famished by 10pm. The place where I was the menu was too expensive for me so I had to opt for a cheap baddie - chicken pie and chips - not had this type of food for a long time. Within 30 minutes I had total acid reflux and felt awful burning sensations. A harsh lesson and a total imbalance from the starch, gluten, vegetable oil, flour in sauce, pastry - yuk!! My stomach had cleared up until then. Definitely No NO foods.

happyliza said:
FWIW I had an unexpected learning curve last night. I had unfortunately received a call to say that friends from my village had been in an horrendous car accident and two lads were critical in intensive care - one in a coma. I was due to eat but went out immediately to obtain more details. Long story short I was famished by 10pm. The place where I was the menu was too expensive for me so I had to opt for a cheap baddie - chicken pie and chips - not had this type of food for a long time. Within 30 minutes I had total acid reflux and felt awful burning sensations. A harsh lesson and a total imbalance from the starch, gluten, vegetable oil, flour in sauce, pastry - yuk!! My stomach had cleared up until then. Definitely No NO foods.
Yikes! It's a difficult lesson, but an important one, I think. After you read the suggested materials and if you choose to, begin the diet in earnest, you'll come to see how some of the other foods you're currently eating will have the same or similar effect on your body as it recovers from years of abuse.

Good to see you're renewing your commitment and hope you're feeling better.

I've been taking niacin for a few weeks now. I started out and worked up to 200mg twice a day at mealtimes. But then a few weeks ago I got a really bad flush at work and it was quite bothersome, but not painful. I felt like my left eye was swollen and checked to make sure a blood vessel didn't burst, and it was fine. So I kicked the dosage to just 100mg twice a day.

Recently I noticed a floater that seems to come back every day. It will go away if I make tears or blink my eyes. This got me wondering about any adverse effects regarding eyes and niacin supplementation.

I found one here where this guy had blurred vision, although he has high blood pressure:
_http://guysandgoodhealth.com/2011/09/13/stopping-the-niacin-was-it-blurring-my-vision/

Here is a more objective link talking about Cystoid Macular Edema:
_http://www.livestrong.com/article/462575-cystoid-macular-edema-niacin/

I don't have any symptoms other than the floater, with the exception of my eye seeming a little more sore after a whole day. And I don't know to what degree that sensation is psychosomatic. In any case I need a eye checkup and some new glasses I plan on getting soon. But thought I'd put the info out there as a precaution for anyone.

_http://www.julianbakery.com/paleo-bread-the-future-of-bread-has-now-changed-forever/

The paleo bread. Too beautiful to be true. :(

Hi Goemon_,

I found that to go paleo really required abandoning the concept of bread, otherwise, I found I was constantly trying to come up with ways of reproducing whatever I would do with standard bread, which I loved so much. Making sandwiches, toast, etc., were a big part of my routine. Heck, I'd venture to say they seemed a part of my identity. After a few weeks of having dreams of baguettes and bagels, not to mention saltine crackers, (who the heck dreams of bread?), I finally got it out of my system. But this involved completely forgetting whatever bread represents, be it pizza dough, something to soak up gravy, a carrier for other foods etc. Once you realize how much carbohydrate is in bread, you will hopefully be able to see it really isn't an ideal food source and must let it go.

My $0.02, for what it's worth,

Gonzo

For those wondering about mucus in stools, and why one might experience constipation, I found this page to be very informative.

_http://www.medicalinsider.com/mucoid.html

monotonic said:
For those wondering about mucus in stools, and why one might experience constipation, I found this page to be very informative.

_http://www.medicalinsider.com/mucoid.html

I can't say that it had crossed my mind. There are some good suggestions there for things to eliminate, but

The bulk of one's food intake should therefore ideally be of vegetables and sprouted seeds and beans, with some fruit, whole grains and beans (and possibly meat and fish). Try to have a sufficient amount of fibre in each meal. This is why some people recommend raw vegan, juicing diets, like Dr Richard Schulze, not that raw food is necessarily always recommended, but that a major focus on vegetables for short periods of time can help limit mucoid plaque formation.

Really? I found more of use reading Fiber Menace.

I am still battling excess fermentation myself, and I am aiming to starve the little buggers out. Most of the above would be major trouble, and no way am I going to eat whole grains after what I have been through. The other thing that I am going to try, hopefully starting this weekend, is fermented vegetables. The idea is to both starve and crowd out the uncooperative bacteria.

Gonzo said:
Hi Goemon_,

I found that to go paleo really required abandoning the concept of bread, otherwise, I found I was constantly trying to come up with ways of reproducing whatever I would do with standard bread, which I loved so much. Making sandwiches, toast, etc., were a big part of my routine. Heck, I'd venture to say they seemed a part of my identity. After a few weeks of having dreams of baguettes and bagels, not to mention saltine crackers, (who the heck dreams of bread?), I finally got it out of my system. But this involved completely forgetting whatever bread represents, be it pizza dough, something to soak up gravy, a carrier for other foods etc. Once you realize how much carbohydrate is in bread, you will hopefully be able to see it really isn't an ideal food source and must let it go.

My $0.02, for what it's worth,

Gonzo

I hear you. I ended up doing the same thing even though I could approximate flour with ground nuts, it was a poor substitute so I just gave it up altogether. As a bonus, no more IBS!

Yes, I didn't spend much time on the dietary recommendations, but it is helpful because it describes our experiences, and that helps us gain a sense of direction, and I've seen a number of people going keto that are in a panic over constipation for instance. I was one of them. I tried magnesium, potassium, vitamin C all of which had little effect if any. But I also did not have bone broth as I should have...

Back
Top Bottom