Crazy Storm Weather and Lightning - Global

Today / A strong storm was registered tonight over Curuguaty, department of Canindeyú.Video courtesy
@DMH_paraguay@rodas_raul1@oscar_marandu@UltimaHoracom@DiarioExtraPy@diazaqui@aisman6@metsul

Natural fireworks last night on the Basque Coast!

#SkyTweetTimelapse Staufen im Breisgau Heat thunderstorms #Schwarzwald not as strong as yesterday and more on the other side of the slope

Electric atmosphere last night in Paris with beautiful curtains of rain seasoned with a hint of lightning.

Keraunos@KeraunosObs
6:54 PM · Sep 5, 2021
The week promises to be hot in France, with a locally marked stormy episode in the middle of the week. Across France, a weekly thermal anomaly of + 3 ° C is expected.

Several people in Oaxaca, Mexico have shared images of a strange phenomenon in the sky, where they appreciated a red beam of light in the middle of the night.

The inhabitants of the Isthmus of that entity published several photographs through social networks, in which it is possible to see a beam of red light. This event generated concern among some citizens, as they thought it was a paranormal phenomenon.

NASA said it was a Sprite

rayo-luz-oaxaca-istmo-redes-sociales-fotos.jpg

e-pztpfxsaay2g3_1_crop1631026644476.jpg_1577178466.jpg

Detailed graphs of the level of energy being generated by Hurricane Larry.

See a Tornado in the eye..🧐

[Typhoon No. 14 Live / Forecast September 08, 2021 03:46] Strong typhoon No. 14 (Chance) is traveling east of the Philippines at a speed of 20 kilometers per hour to the west.

19-year-old roofer struck and killed by lightning while working in Bradenton
Manatee County Fire Rescue responded shortly before 3 p.m. to 14816 Skip Jack Loop and pronounced the victim dead at the scene in a residential neighborhood.
“I just heard a huge explosion,” neighbor Neia Conceico said. “It wasn’t even raining.”
The Manatee County Sheriff’s office says the man was working as roofer, when he was struck. His identity has not yet been released.
After calling 911, Conceico says she saw the man lying on the roof. His co-workers were preforming CPR.
“It’s a lot to process … I just wish in that time, I could have done some miracle,” she says.
The Manatee County Sheriffs office will conduct a full investigation. The victim's identity has not yet been released.
The lightning bolt was captured on Klystron 9 radar.

This is the third lightning fatality this year in Florida and the tenth this year in the U.S.
Last year, 17 people across the country were killed by lightning.
Among lightning fatalities nationally, 44% are under the age of 20, and 89% are male.

Coming in Hot!

Establishment of a #VigilanceOrange for the #orages on 32 departments of #Pyrénées in the island of France with thunderstorms loc. violent between late afternoon and Wednesday evening. THE'#Aude is #VigilanceOrange#pluies /#inondation

Bad weather: 32 departments placed in orange vigilance for thunderstorms Vigilance extends from the southwest of the country to Île-de-France Details with @GWoznica on @LCI

Webcam image of the enormous lightning strike, yesterday in Enschede! Also notice the special "click" you hear immediately after impact (at 20:38.06). This is only observed if you are very close to an impact, often less than 300 meters.#onweer through @BernardPoel

Recording starts shortly after the lightning strike, the #Donner can still be heard well and the frightening birds can be seen #Köln#Gewitter

Almost 30,000 #éclairs recorded for this day of September 8 with 1/3 of these for the departments of #LotEtGaronne , of the'#Allier , of the #Dordogne as well as #HauteVienne . Complete data ->https://keraunos.org/orages-en-direct-france-foudre-statistiques-eclairs-temps-reel-activite-electrique-suivi-08-septembre-2021.html#orages#keraunos

Mysterious Lights appear in Shenyang, #China. An official said this is due to the density of the clouds and water vapor.
09/08/2021

It seems that this one may have been due to the heavy rain, angle of the light, and the quality of the camera&video probably made it seem even more vivid. Sputnik reports on it here, and another tweet shows the building once the weather changes:

I don't know if this photo belongs to this thread.
It reminded me of this February 22, 2020 session where the crew talked about an open portal in the Middle East

241491350_4026986520764044_3318188245865670659_n.jpg

My first thought was, that this is a phenomena

which appears with digital cameras with CMOS sensors. CMOS sensors do not read out images all at once. Instead they do it more like an old TV; line by line (bunch of lines; the more at once / faster - the broader the brighter stripe). Think of the principle when scanning images on a scanner; the image is scanned line by line.

When a sudden very bright flash appears, as often observed with lightning, you get a stripe of overexposure in your frame - which makes it look like the image above. The stripy effect applies also to still images, when you use the digital shutter instead of the mechanical shutter. Digital Video cameras always use a digital shutter, hence the stripe effect and reading-out issue.

The effect will be over, the day the industry releases so called "global shutters" with CMOS sensor, which would be fast enough to read out video material image by image (all at one, so to speak), instead of line by line.

CCD sensors don't do that

Older CCD sensors were different, they read out the full image wholly, all at one - and that is the reason why older cameras do not have that ugly "stripy" effect when you make videos or still images of thunderstorms.

PS: That the Middle East camera shows the stripe effect vertically, I assume is because either the sensor was mounted that way, or the person held the camera vertically. (But this is my assumption)

Illustration

Here I post two images where you can see the stripe effect. Notice that the effect is always a bit different: • dependent on shutter speed • internal read-out speed, • how bright the lightning is, • and what camera has been used. Sometimes, when only weak a lightning strike appears, you can get away without stripes (in still images). So, it is a pretty erratic effect. I also feel that every camera gives slightly bit different flavor. In my case the camera sensor / read out - bends the horizontal line ever so slightly.

I hope this helped to understand the possibility, that phenomenas we see (or being "illusterated" through other people's material, are not always necessarily of 'magic' origin.

2020-06-29-04-08-48.jpg
2020-06-29-04-07-52_1.jpg

For the technical: During this morning thunderstorm over Stockholm South on 29 June 2020, at 04:12 - an Olympus EM1X camera was used together with an extreme bright lens, a ED 17mm f 1.2 PRO and a shutter speed of 1/80 second. Together with a feature, which allows the camera to take 60 frames (still images) per second !

Back
Top Bottom