Liver pate.

I usually soak my liver in apple cider vinegar and salt. I tried using olive oil as well, as (I think) Ailen suggested at the start of the thread, but I found that I had a delayed breakout of pimples on my skin... I think that may have had to do with not washing all the olive oil off once marination was done, and it oxidizing in the heat. Has anyone else had a similar reaction?

We made liver pate a couple days ago using a variation of Ailen`s recipe. We used calves liver instead of pork. Letting the liver soak over night in apple cider vinegar really makes a difference in tenderness. Cooked for just a few minutes in bacon fat and garlic. Then cooked 2lbs of uncured bacon. Cut the bacon and liver up into small pieces and mixed all ingredients together. Put ingredients in food processor. Outcome is wonderful savory flavor. Some goes in frig and rest in jars and frozen. It gets eaten pretty fast around here! It`s great on everything! Shown below: this morning`s B`fast. Pork/beef patti with liver pate`and bacon fat drizzle. YUMMY! :)

Attachments

• Liver pate.jpg
    Liver pate.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 36
Shane said:
Heimdallr said:
Acid Yazz said:
Do you think I still have some days to use it or has it been too long already?

I keep mine in the fridge for around 2 weeks in a glass tupperware bowl and have never noticed an odd smell or taste, so yours should be fine after a week.

The high fat content will preserve it for a longer period as well.

Thanks for the answers!

Te paté is still in perfect conditions, and it seems each time more delicious to me.

Here you've got a picture! :lol:

Edit: spelling

Attachments

• 1357637893784.jpg
    1357637893784.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 34
Yesterday I made the first batch of liver pate. Since I don't have food processor, I used 50 years old meat grinder. It still works and it is not rusty so I thought it would be good enough for this, and it was. Pate came out great. Usually I like the taste of the liver and this is even better since it is mixed up with bacon. *om nom nom nom*
Thanks for the recipe!

I made my first batch today using alien's basic recipe. I used about a kilo of pork livers, 200 grams of chicken livers and hearts and 200 gr of rabbit liver, 250 grams of lard, some goose fat, bacon, few thick fat slices of prosciutto ham - for spicing I only used dried garlic with lemon, loads of marjoram, some mint and a dash of cognac.
I marinated livers in cider vinegar for 2 hours before cooking. I homogenized it with hand blender but not excessively and there are tiny pieces of liver for some chewiness.

It is the best pate I ever had in my entire life and cannot stop eating it. Thank you for the idea.

H.E. said:
I made my first batch today using alien's basic recipe. I used about a kilo of pork livers, 200 grams of chicken livers and hearts and 200 gr of rabbit liver, 250 grams of lard, some goose fat, bacon, few thick fat slices of prosciutto ham - for spicing I only used dried garlic with lemon, loads of marjoram, some mint and a dash of cognac.
I marinated livers in cider vinegar for 2 hours before cooking. I homogenized it with hand blender but not excessively and there are tiny pieces of liver for some chewiness.

It is the best pate I ever had in my entire life and cannot stop eating it. Thank you for the idea.

I'm not sure if that dash of cognac is a good thing for your health. I read this, but I'm not sure if it's valid:

_http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_remains_of_alcohol_contents_when_cooking
When you cook with wine or cognac, for example, most of the alcohol simply evaporates when heated and exposed to air. What's left is primarily sugar, plus flavors from the grapes/grain in the liquid.

yes the flavor, quantity of sugar left from such miniscule quantity of cognac will hardly kick you out of ketosis ;)

I would like to start with making a small batch of pate. All I have on hand at this time is beef liver. Can I use beef liver instead of veal liver?

Stoneboss said:
I would like to start with making a small batch of pate. All I have on hand at this time is beef liver. Can I use beef liver instead of veal liver?
As far as I know, you can use any kind of liver you want. :)

truth seeker said:
Stoneboss said:

Absolutely! I used some pork kidney in the last batch. :)

LQB said:
truth seeker said:
Stoneboss said:

Absolutely! I used some pork kidney in the last batch. :)

Ok, thank you... I'm starting right away!

Well, I have a pork liver cut up and marinating in vinegar and olive oil and just bought the spices to make the pate recipe. I'm not much of a cook, but want to give making this a shot. :cool:

(Edit added: re-read the recipe and it does say to cool down - oops!)

One question that came to mind is after you are done cooking the liver and bacon in the lard do you let it cool down for awhile before putting it all in the food processor? Or do you want it warm so it mixes well?

Bear said:
Well, I have a pork liver cut up and marinating in vinegar and olive oil and just bought the spices to make the pate recipe. I'm not much of a cook, but want to give making this a shot. :cool:

(Edit added: re-read the recipe and it does say to cool down - oops!)

One question that came to mind is after you are done cooking the liver and bacon in the lard do you let it cool down for awhile before putting it all in the food processor? Or do you want it warm so it mixes well?

Yeah, I would let it cool down if you are going to use a food processor. I'd recommend buying an immersion/hand blender instead of using a food processor. It's much easier and cleaner. When I use the hand blender I usually just let it cool for about 5 or 10 minutes and then blend it a little, add the spices, blend some more, let it sit for another 5 minutes, and then pour it into whatever container you're storing it in and refrigerate overnight.

Back
Top Bottom