Liver pate.

skycsil said:
It's half soaked in fat, is this correct or I need more fat?

I would say more fat. When I make a batch, I use a lot of lard, so much that it covers the liver completely in the pan. You want your pate fatty.

skycsil said:
Awesome, thanks! Will use this proportion next time, for the large batch

To be precise, I use 2 cups or so of lard for every whole liver I use (approx. 2lbs or 0.9kgs). I've been making the pate using 2 whole livers and a little under 4 cups of lard and letting that cook on low heat for 2 hours.

Heimdallr said:
To be precise, I use 2 cups or so of lard for every whole liver I use (approx. 2lbs or 0.9kgs). I've been making the pate using 2 whole livers and a little under 4 cups of lard and letting that cook on low heat for 2 hours.
I agree that if you're doing larger batches in bigger pots it does need more than 1 hour, unless it's going straigth to the canner.

Unfortunateley in case of the ketogenic diet experiment liver pate wouldn't be recommended or at least 100gr for a day, since it contains carbs. 100 gr of cooked liver contains about 2.5grs. carbohydrates.

Heimdallr said:

When you say cups, how much would that approximately be in grams?

Unfortunateley in case of the ketogenic diet experiment liver pate wouldn't be recommended or at least 100gr for a day, since it contains carbs. 100 gr of cooked liver contains about 2.5grs. carbohydrates.

I think that as long as you only have a little every day to go along with your meat, it shouldn't cause any problems.

Heimdallr said:
Eboard10 said:

Search engines are your friend... ;)

See, I wasn't aware that a cup was a unit of measure, hence why I didn't check. I need to stop assuming too often :/

skycsil said:
It should be about 1/2 kg of fat per kilo of liver if I'm not mistaken.

I have been using a 50/50 ratio fwiw. I made up a batch the other day with 1 kilo of lard and 1 kilo of beef liver. It's delicious and very fatty!!!

Eboard10 said:
Heimdallr said:

I think that as long as you only have a little every day to go along with your meat, it shouldn't cause any problems.

The calorie counter program I have puts it at about 5gms/kilo but, for example, if you have 50gms of the paté made with 50:50 ratio I use, it works out at about 1.3 gms of carbs. Also, if you're doing the ketogenic diet, 50 gms of the same paté equates to about 6 gms of protein (so remember that!). I actually find the pate is a great way to get the right amount of protein, e.g. if I am having belly pork for breakfast and it comes to about 20 gms of protein, I add in 50 gms of paté

Thank you for inspiring me to try pate again. I tried making it last year from a recipe that called for chicken livers and hard boiled eggs and it was awful. This time I followed Ailen's recipe and used calf liver. It is delicious. I didn't have any bacon in the house, because we all love it so much, so I had to omit that part. What I did use was the rendered fat from the bacon I have been collecting and it gave the pate a very nice flavor.

Chrissy said:
Thank you for inspiring me to try pate again. I tried making it last year from a recipe that called for chicken livers and hard boiled eggs and it was awful. This time I followed Ailen's recipe and used calf liver. It is delicious. I didn't have any bacon in the house, because we all love it so much, so I had to omit that part. What I did use was the rendered fat from the bacon I have been collecting and it gave the pate a very nice flavor.

The first time ever I made pate, it was with chicken livers too, because we already had a bunch of them in the freezer and was looking for an opportunity to use them. I did not add eggs to it though, I searched and found a good chicken liver pate recipe from Mark's Daily Apple blog, and added lots of lard and butter to it. It tasted good. But not as good as the one later with pig liver. Unfortunately, we have a hard time finding veal liver here.

Last time, we canned 9 pint-jars of pork liver pate made with 3 pork livers, 4 pounds of lard, bacon and spices. While it cooks, the liver pieces are floating in the lard as in a soup. When we blend them later with the food processor it comes out very creamy.

We also found out that rosemary, which has a very intense taste, if added to the rest of the spices of the recipe Ailen posted, can reduce a bit the "livery" taste for those who have problems with it.

Thanks for sharing this recipe, it is delicious! :D I love liver pate and have tried making it before without much success. Will definitely be using this recipe from now on.

Made the pate according to Ailen's recipe, only with chicken livers. YUMMY! No need for meat crackers (or anything else for that matter) in this house, the spoon goes in and it's eaten neat...

Back
Top Bottom