Liver pate.

Chu

Administrator
Administrator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
parallel said:
Ailén said:
Ingredients:

1 porc(veal) liver (or a mixture of liver, chest and throat - we get it from the butcher, already ground, and it's super cheap)
10 slices of smoked bacon
2 cups lard
1 tbs salt
1 tsp pepper
A pinch of ground nutmeg
1 tsp thym
1tsp dried garlic
1 tsp dried onion
(you can modify the quantity of spices according to your personal taste)
When you say 1 liver (porc/veal) how much chest and throat do you add? And does it matter if chest/throat are porc or beef (it's basically just minced meat right?)

See above. You can EITHER use 1 whole liver, OR a mixture of liver chest and throat. Our butcher makes the mix (all ground up together) with 1/3 of each, but you can experiment. The good thing about the chest is that it is super fatty, and liver adds lots of nutrients but it is a bit higher in protein than in fat. So, if you are going to eat it for the ketogenic transition, you can always add extra lard once it's cooked. I hope it's clearer now.

It doesn't matter whether it's porc of beef, no. We just get porc because it is cheaper. But veal liver paté is delicious IMO.
 

zim

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
1. If you have only liver, cut it into small pieces and let it marinade in vinegar, olive oil and salt for at least 1 hour. Rince. (This is in order to soften the liver and make your paté have a more creamy consistency)

Thanks Ailén for the recipe it looks like delicious and cheap!!!


I just have one doubt the vinegar that you mention, what kind is the good one? since I understood the vinegar affect the candida!!

And for the bacon Is there a recipe that I can get to do in my home instead buy it in a market since it always have gluten! :mad: so I stopped to eat it for months! :cry:
 

Chu

Administrator
Administrator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
zim said:
I just have one doubt the vinegar that you mention, what kind is the good one? since I understood the vinegar affect the candida!!

Apple cider vinegar. And I don't think it does anything to your candida. At least I don't remember reading that anywhere.
 

zim

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
Thanks Ailén

I had a doubt because of the information of this topic I have been following:


Diet and Health / Re: Anti-Candida, Inflammation, Heavy Metals Detox and Diet
Treatment of Candidiasis is truly not simple, but the first step is the proper diet avoiding sugars in all forms, even limiting complex carbohydrates usually thought to be good for you, (see bottom of page for a detailed list).

Candida is a yeast, and anything that might feed it must be avoided; this means cutting out all sugars (even honey), fruits, starches, vinegar and alcohol. No more maple syrup, corn syrup, white bread, soft drinks, or cereals. They should be replaced with vegetables and lean proteins. No more dried or fresh fruits, mushrooms, pizza or pastries. As and when the condition improves, some of these things may be added back in - but many people feel so much better without them, they want to keep the improvement permanently!

I asked too in another thread about the canning and Pickling, It is a good way to preserve food but I didn't know if it affects the candida!! :-[
 

Chu

Administrator
Administrator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
zim said:
I asked too in another thread about the canning and Pickling, It is a good way to preserve food but I didn't know if it affects the candida!! :-[

Well, I really don't think Candida is a problem anymore if you stick long enough to the ketogenic diet, with 0 or almost no carbs.
 

Hesper

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Well I've been waiting for my local organic meat shop to stock up on liver and they finally gave me a call yesterday telling me they had some in the store. So I bought 'em up and made a batch of the pate. AMAZING!! Thanks Ailen! :D
 

Vulcan59

SuperModerator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
Well, had sometime yesterday, so went out bought the ingredients and made a batch. I can eat pâté all day. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Ailén. :thup: Next, the pork rind crackers.
 

Ollie

SuperModerator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
zim said:
...
And for the bacon Is there a recipe that I can get to do in my home instead buy it in a market since it always have gluten! :mad: so I stopped to eat it for months! :cry:
zim

This may help you out, or not. Dry curing bacon - a simple method

Depending on how you like your bacon: - streaky or side - from pork belly; middle - a combination of back and streaky bacon (from side of pig (vertical)); back - loin; cheek or jowl - self-explanatory Guanciale in Italian (very sweet meat and the fat melts in your mouth).

Method:
Bone out pork belly (or any other cut)
3.5 per cent salt per kilogram of pork belly
Play pork belly in tray, rub 75 per cent of salt over inside and side surfaces (meat), rub remaining 25 per cent over skin side
Wrap in a vacuum bag (luxury version :) and evacuate) or cover in cling film and then cover with two overlapping strong plastic bags and place in tray
Please in the bottom of your refrigerator
Turn daily (top to bottom, bottom to top, etc), curing for a total of seven days
Remove from tray, remove plastic bags, etc, brush off salt with your hand, and place cured bacon on a plate / cake rack and cover, loosely, with greaseproof paper / parchment paper
Leave for two to four days in bottom of refrigerator
Take out, place in freezer for two hours to get it firm enough for slicing (either slice your self, or go along to your friendly butcher and get him to slice it on his slicer)

This bacon will keep in the refrigerator for two weeks, as long as you allow air to flow around it (as above - on a plate covered loosely with greaseproof paper). The drier it gets the more intense the flavour.

For Guanciale (differences)
3.5 per cent salt plus 1.5 per cent black pepper and herbs of your choice (eg, Thyme)
As above, turn daily for a total of seven days
Leave for four to five days
Then as above.

It really is that simple

Enjoy :)
 

LQB

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Prodigal Son said:
zim said:
...
And for the bacon Is there a recipe that I can get to do in my home instead buy it in a market since it always have gluten! :mad: so I stopped to eat it for months! :cry:
zim

This may help you out, or not. Dry curing bacon - a simple method

Depending on how you like your bacon: - streaky or side - from pork belly; middle - a combination of back and streaky bacon (from side of pig (vertical)); back - loin; cheek or jowl - self-explanatory Guanciale in Italian (very sweet meat and the fat melts in your mouth).

Method:
Bone out pork belly (or any other cut)
3.5 per cent salt per kilogram of pork belly
Play pork belly in tray, rub 75 per cent of salt over inside and side surfaces (meat), rub remaining 25 per cent over skin side
Wrap in a vacuum bag (luxury version :) and evacuate) or cover in cling film and then cover with two overlapping strong plastic bags and place in tray
Please in the bottom of your refrigerator
Turn daily (top to bottom, bottom to top, etc), curing for a total of seven days
Remove from tray, remove plastic bags, etc, brush off salt with your hand, and place cured bacon on a plate / cake rack and cover, loosely, with greaseproof paper / parchment paper
Leave for two to four days in bottom of refrigerator
Take out, place in freezer for two hours to get it firm enough for slicing (either slice your self, or go along to your friendly butcher and get him to slice it on his slicer)

This bacon will keep in the refrigerator for two weeks, as long as you allow air to flow around it (as above - on a plate covered loosely with greaseproof paper). The drier it gets the more intense the flavour.

For Guanciale (differences)
3.5 per cent salt plus 1.5 per cent black pepper and herbs of your choice (eg, Thyme)
As above, turn daily for a total of seven days
Leave for four to five days
Then as above.

It really is that simple

Enjoy :)

Thanks PS - I'll give it a try with some hog jowls in the freezer. :)
 

zim

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
Ailén said:
zim said:
I asked too in another thread about the canning and Pickling, It is a good way to preserve food but I didn't know if it affects the candida!! :-[

Well, I really don't think Candida is a problem anymore if you stick long enough to the ketogenic diet, with 0 or almost no carbs.

Yes Right!!! ;)
 

zim

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
Prodigal Son said:
zim said:
...
And for the bacon Is there a recipe that I can get to do in my home instead buy it in a market since it always have gluten! :mad: so I stopped to eat it for months! :cry:
zim

This may help you out, or not. Dry curing bacon - a simple method

Depending on how you like your bacon: - streaky or side - from pork belly; middle - a combination of back and streaky bacon (from side of pig (vertical)); back - loin; cheek or jowl - self-explanatory Guanciale in Italian (very sweet meat and the fat melts in your mouth).

Method:
Bone out pork belly (or any other cut)
3.5 per cent salt per kilogram of pork belly
Play pork belly in tray, rub 75 per cent of salt over inside and side surfaces (meat), rub remaining 25 per cent over skin side
Wrap in a vacuum bag (luxury version :) and evacuate) or cover in cling film and then cover with two overlapping strong plastic bags and place in tray
Please in the bottom of your refrigerator
Turn daily (top to bottom, bottom to top, etc), curing for a total of seven days
Remove from tray, remove plastic bags, etc, brush off salt with your hand, and place cured bacon on a plate / cake rack and cover, loosely, with greaseproof paper / parchment paper
Leave for two to four days in bottom of refrigerator
Take out, place in freezer for two hours to get it firm enough for slicing (either slice your self, or go along to your friendly butcher and get him to slice it on his slicer)

This bacon will keep in the refrigerator for two weeks, as long as you allow air to flow around it (as above - on a plate covered loosely with greaseproof paper). The drier it gets the more intense the flavour.

For Guanciale (differences)
3.5 per cent salt plus 1.5 per cent black pepper and herbs of your choice (eg, Thyme)
As above, turn daily for a total of seven days
Leave for four to five days
Then as above.

It really is that simple

Enjoy :)



Thanks Prodigal Son for the recipe!!!
:lol: :clap:
 

Beau

Administrator
Administrator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
Here's my first liver pate creation. It was made using only pork liver and only a small bit of 'gamey-ness' remains, so it's actually pretty darn good. Gonna start canning some of this!
 

Attachments

  • photo copy.jpg
    photo copy.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 45

Chu

Administrator
Administrator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
Good job, paté cooks! :D

For canning and preserving, we started experimenting with an easier option: You make the mix and raw pack it into jars. This helps you avoid the cooking time, dirtying pots, etc. The mix doesn't come out smooth because there is no blending once cooked, but you can do that when you open a can. If you are doing a lot of canning, it really saves you a lot of time, FWIW. And it might also be used to make other dishes if you have a mice mix of liver, chest and throat. I'm willing to try a meat loaf, for example. ;)
 

skycsil

Jedi Master
I'm making it right now. Used 1/2 kg of veal liver, 7 slices of bacon, a big chunk of butter and lard. Not sure about the liver/fat ratio actually because I only cooked a small amount to begin with. It is cooked and it's delicious, actually will maybe eat it as it is without processing (it's cooling down right now) and make a larger batch next time. :-[
It's half soaked in fat, is this correct or I need more fat?

Pic:

2012-09-11123711.jpg
 
Top Bottom