Meteorite Explodes Over Russia Injures Hundreds

voyageur said:
Looked around with nothing to further add other than a reference to "Infrasound" waves. According to the wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrasound

Indeed, this Wiki article gives reference to another article in English which says that Chelyabinsk meteorite produced the strongest infrasound wave since the bolide over Indonesia in 2009.

There is also this article in Russian: The song of Chelyabinsk meteorite. It says that this celestial body was named an "electrophonic bolide" because of the sounds produced by the electromagnetic discharge in the atmosphere. They say that this phenomenon is yet rather poorly studied. About 50 witnesses described a sound similar to the fireworks hissing several minutes before the explosion wave. The scientist from Ka Dar observatory, Stanislav Korotky, says that the sound waves cannot cover tens of thousands of kilometers distances within less than one second, which means that the nature of this sound was different. This phenomenon was actively studied by a Soviet scientist Vitaly Bronstain in 1982. By now, there are about a hundred scientific works on this subject, according to Harvard University.

I also found another article in Russian further describing the effects of Chelyabinsk meteorite on the ionosphere. It says that the bolide produced strong effects on the planet's ionosphere similar to the effects of geomagnetic storms. Such effects were registered 5.5 hours later in Yekaterinburg (Urals), 6 hours later in Rostov (South Russia) and 7 hours later in Moscow. The article describes these effects in detail. fwiw

The "electrophonic bolide" phenomena was discussed in the book Comets and The Horns of Moses (and a few other places on the forum). It travels at the speed of light as electromagnetic waves and then is converted to sound waves from, for example, eyeglasses frames or people's hair, etc. (or many other things in the surrounding environment) acting as an antenna.

Niall said:
Does anyone recall reports of unusual sensory or psychological effects on people in or near Chelyabinsk following this event? I don't mean consequences of the flash and shockwaves, like temporary blindness and trauma.

I'm sure I saw a report at the time about strange effects on people. I can't remember exactly what it was, maybe something to do with people 'feeling as if they were in a different state of mind', possibly related to changes in their balance and hearing (for the better, I think). Maybe some Russian forum members heard about such things in the days and weeks afterwards?

In relation to the physiological and psychological effects of infrasound, I did find this journal reference.

CONCLUSIONS: The physiological and psychological effects of infrasound (2.14Hz 110dB and 4.10 Hz 1200 dB) on persons are summarized as follows:

* Being exposed to infrasound, a person feels headachy, fretful and tired.

* Infrasound can cause the changes of blood pressure and heart rate.

* In the infrasound condition with 4.10 Hz and 120 dB for over 1 hour, systolic pressure and heart rate of most subjects rose with the exception that the dias- tolic pressure of some subjects fell.

* In the infrasound condition with 2.14 Hz, 110 dB for over 1 hour, systolic pressure and diastolic pressure of subjects rose. But heart rate of some subjects rose and others fell.

* Different individuals have different responses to infrasound and the change ratio of blood pressure and heart rate are also different.

https://www.wind-watch.org/documents/an-investigation-on-the-physiological-and-psychological-effects-of-infrasound-on-persons/

also, from Wikipedia:

Human reactions

20 Hz is considered the normal low-frequency limit of human hearing. When pure sine waves are reproduced under ideal conditions and at very high volume, a human listener will be able to identify tones as low as 12 Hz. Below 10 Hz it is possible to perceive the single cycles of the sound, along with a sensation of pressure at the eardrums.

The dynamic range of the auditory system decreases with decreasing frequency. This compression can be seen in the equal-loudness-level contours, and it implies that a slight increase in level can change the perceived loudness from barely audible, to loud. Combined with the natural spread in thresholds within a population, it may have the effect that a very low-frequency sound which is inaudible to some people may be loud to others.

One study has suggested that infrasound may cause feelings of awe or fear in humans. It also was suggested that since it is not consciously perceived, it may make people feel vaguely that odd or supernatural events are taking place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrasound#Human_reactions

So even without the visual and auditory effects from a localised cometary 'shock and awe' show (like Chelyabinsk) - the infrasound effects themselves may be perceived, in varying degrees, by many other people not even in that locale.

Regarding the aforementioned 'odd or supernatural events', this is linked to a nbcnews article from 2003:

Mysteriously snuffed out candles, weird sensations and shivers down the spine may not be due to the presence of ghosts in haunted houses but to very low frequency sound that is inaudible to humans. British scientists have shown in a controlled experiment that the extreme bass sound known as infrasound produces a range of bizarre effects in people including anxiety, extreme sorrow and chills — supporting popular suggestions of a link between infrasound and strange sensations.

“NORMALLY YOU can’t hear it,” Richard Lord, an acoustic scientist at the National Physical Laboratory in England who worked on the project, said Monday.

Lord and his colleagues, who produced infrasound with a 23-foot (7-meter) pipe and tested its impact on 750 people at a concert, said infrasound is also generated by natural phenomena.

Some scientists have suggested that this level of sound may be present at some allegedly haunted sites and so cause people to have odd sensations that they attribute to a ghost — our findings support these ideas,” said Professor Richard Wiseman, a psychologist at the University of Hertfordshire in southern England.

REACTIONS TO INFRASOUND

Lord and Wiseman played four contemporary pieces of live music, including some laced with infrasound, at a London concert hall and asked the audience to describe their reactions to the music.

The audience did not know which pieces included infrasound, but 22 percent reported more unusual experiences when it was present in the music.
Advertise

Their unusual experiences included feeling uneasy or sorrowful, getting chills down the spine or nervous feelings of revulsion or fear.

“These results suggest that low frequency sound can cause people to have unusual experiences even though they cannot consciously detect infrasound,” said Wiseman, who presented his findings to the British Association science conference.

NATURAL PHENOMENON

Infrasound is also produced by storms, seasonal winds and weather patterns and some types of earthquakes. Animals such as elephants also use infrasound to communicate over long distances or as weapons to repel foes.

“So much has been said about infrasound — it’s been associated with just about everything from beam weapons to bad driving. It’s wonderful to be able to examine the evidence,” said Sarah Angliss, a composer and engineer who worked on the project.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3077192/#.VKfdKnv4Ybs

There are also so called non-lethal weapons based on infrasound which are used by police for crowd control

Non-lethal weapons, some of which are also called less-lethal weapons, less-than-lethal weapons, non-deadly weapons, pain-inducing weapons or, more recently, compliance weapons are weapons intended to be less likely to kill a living target than are conventional weapons. These various terms are meant to describe the intended result of applying these technologies, techniques and procedures; accidental, incidental, and correlative casualties are possible and an understood and accepted risk wherever force is applied. Non-lethal weapons are used in combat situations to limit the escalation of conflict or where employment of lethal force is prohibited or undesirable or where rules of engagement require minimum casualties or policy restricts the use of conventional force. Non-lethal weapons may be used by conventional military in a range of missions across the force continuum. Non-lethal weapons may also be utilized by military police, by United Nations forces, and by occupation forces for peacekeeping and stability operations. Non-lethal weapons may be used to channelize a battlefield or control the movement of civilian populations or limit civilian access to restricted areas (as they were utilized by the U.S.M.C.'s 1st Marine Expeditionary Force in Somalia in 1995). When used by police forces domestically, similar weapons, tactics, techniques and procedures are often called "less lethal" or "less than lethal" and are employed in riot control, prisoner control, crowd control, refugee control, and self-defense. [...]

In 2004 author Jon Ronson cited[4] an unclassified military report titled "Non-Lethal Weapons: Terms and References"[5] 21 acoustic weapons were listed, in various stages of development, including the Infrasound ("Very low-frequency sound which can travel long distances and easily penetrate most buildings and vehicles...biophysical effects are projected to be: nausea, loss of bowels, disorientation, vomiting, potential internal organ damage or death may occur. Superior to ultrasound...)", however no such effects had been achieved as of 2002.[6]

Source: _http://military.wikia.com/wiki/Non-lethal_weapon

All very interesting, thanks.

We know to look out for physiological consequences of such events - before, during and after - in humans and animals, as well as mutations and other changes in wildfire patterns in coming years.

The report I had in mind was about something else though: specific 'psychic' changes right after the event. Maybe I imagined reading about it, or wishfully want meteors to give us superpowers :)

Niall said:
The report I had in mind was about something else though: specific 'psychic' changes right after the event. Maybe I imagined reading about it, or wishfully want meteors to give us superpowers :)

I've heard of numerous examples when such "superpowers" were induced by a sudden lightning strike (no kidding) or electric shock. There are a number of such people in Russia who became famous psychics after the said impacts. But those were rare near-death experiences. That meteorite probably also could produce similar electromagnetic effect on people, but maybe it was not strong enough to make it noticeable or durable? fwiw

Siberia said:
Niall said:

I've heard of numerous examples when such "superpowers" were induced by a sudden lightning strike (no kidding) or electric shock. There are a number of such people in Russia who became famous psychics after the said impacts. But those were rare near-death experiences. That meteorite probably also could produce similar electromagnetic effect on people, but maybe it was not strong enough to make it noticeable or durable? fwiw

Yes, it apparently wasn't durable enough for people to remember it and still be discussing it. I only saw it mentioned in passing in a general news report about the incident in the first day or two after the event.

I don't know if this is of any help at all, but the closest description I remember is not about the Chelyabinsk but regarding the Tunguska event, and how the light emanations of the impact altered DNA in plants, animal and people who were exposed to it, even if a hundred kms away.

See here: Tunguska genetic anomaly and electrophonic meteors

The Chelyabinsk meteor was two years ago this month.
Not directly related but the same town experienced blue snow:
_http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2952030/Russian-city-wakes-covered-BLUE-snow.html
Not sure what it means, if it means anything.

mkrnhr said:
The Chelyabinsk meteor was two years ago this month.
Not directly related but the same town experienced blue snow:
_http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2952030/Russian-city-wakes-covered-BLUE-snow.html
Not sure what it means, if it means anything.

There was also orange snow at the beginning of the month in Sarátov, it was said, it was due to Sahara sand storm crossing Crimea peninsula. It needed to cross first the Mediterranean Sea, Turkey, Black Sea, Ukraine at least. How come there was not orange snow in other regions and countries, since it came from the Sahara? And just, it had landed there? Although, Sarátov is quite "far" from Chelyabinsk.

Konstantin said:
Last year here in Macedonia where i live, every time after even a slight rain, there was a sediments of yellow/ orange dust. At the beginning the official media reported that it was some storm that bring sand from Sahara. For them its always dust from Sahara. Its very easy to say and to make people believe.
But the problem was that happens the whole year , every time after every rain falls.
So i guess that its not a Sahara dust. Not here , and not there in Siberia.
I think its dust loaded in the upper atmosphere from Comets, meteors, and things like that. Maybe its the same case with the Snow in siberia. Maybe some high altitude comet explosion and it have mixed with clouds and now its falling down as a colorful snow .
It can be also some volcanic dust , because there are plenty of active volcanoes all around the world now.
I dont know , but i just don't believe in the story that every time something like this happens, its a storm from Sahara.

I don't think this piece of data has been mentioned yet in this thread...

Strange EM effects of Chelyabinsk meteor explosion: Why did some glass shatter, but remain intact elsewhere?

Today we have more reports of damage caused by the meteor explosion - and they are as bizarre as some of the damage reports from tornadoes we've heard over the years. For instance, in the city of Chelyabinsk, Russia, some high-rise buildings had the glass blown out of every window on the top floor, while other buildings had only the glass from the bottom floor destroyed. Even that's not the most bizarre report of damage caused by meteor.

Some citizens living within the city are reporting that the external windows of their apartments remain intact, while glass jars in dishes inside the home were destroyed by the meteor explosion. Some citizens also reported that their electronic devices were destroyed by the explosion. One citizen reported that a glass bottle he was holding shattered in his hand.

Scientists say that glass was destroyed by pressure waves created as the meteor fragment decelerated. These low-frequency waves are called infrasound. Scientists say that these waves can bounce off buildings causing them to be stronger in some places than others, and can resonate with glass, explaining why wine bottles and dishes might have shattered inside of homes otherwise unaffected by the meteor.

I think those selective glass breaking is due to interference of shockwaves (EM?) that created a kind of pattern of higher and lower destructive force.

"the effects started 80 minutes before the meteorite fell and finished 40 minutes after. He says the effects were registered by the radars network as far as up to 1,200 km away from Chelyabinsk. "

So we can detect danger fireballs even over hour before impact... Interesting.

And a'propos infrasounds, I was interested with them when was a kid, and got information then, about feral frequency 7Hz that makes people die.

I have heard the sound produced by a meteorite burning up in the atmosphere, and as described earlier in this thread, it was a 'hissing' sound.
There didn't seem to be any time delay such as you would get with an aircraft noise, it was real-time, so may have been electrically induced in my ear.
My hearing is pretty good in the upper registers, and I can hear bats pinging when they are about, as well as the high voltage (EHT) generators in older TV sets.

MusicMan said:
I have heard the sound produced by a meteorite burning up in the atmosphere, and as described earlier in this thread, it was a 'hissing' sound.
There didn't seem to be any time delay such as you would get with an aircraft noise, it was real-time, so may have been electrically induced in my ear.
My hearing is pretty good in the upper registers, and I can hear bats pinging when they are about, as well as the high voltage (EHT) generators in older TV sets.
You have *excellent* hearing. That means you must be relatively young, in your late 20s at most, since everyone loses the ability to hear high frequency sounds as they age. Enjoy your ability while you can.

The 'hissing' sound produced by meteors is instantaneous, because it's produced by electronic forces and thus acts at the speed of light. Your theory that the sound was electrically induced is probably correct.

However, the fact that meteors really produce 'hissing' sounds argues against the theory that meteors are likely to produce powerful electromagnetic pulse (EMP) effects. I am not convinced about that yet.

griffin said:
MusicMan said:
You have *excellent* hearing. That means you must be relatively young, in your late 20s at most, since everyone loses the ability to hear high frequency sounds as they age. Enjoy your ability while you can.

The 'hissing' sound produced by meteors is instantaneous, because it's produced by electronic forces and thus acts at the speed of light. Your theory that the sound was electrically induced is probably correct.

However, the fact that meteors really produce 'hissing' sounds argues against the theory that meteors are likely to produce powerful electromagnetic pulse (EMP) effects. I am not convinced about that yet.

Thanks for that - no, I am 68, but I worked in electronics all my life and my ears are 'trained' to hear the higher frequencies.
The last few years since I retired I have had tinnitus, so not so much these days.

As for EMP effects, perhaps when the bolide burns down to its iron core that's when you might start to get the EMP, as it traverses Earth's magnetic field.

Back
Top Bottom