'Missing 411', by David Paulides: Tracking unusual missing persons cases

LQB said:
Yes, Paulides (in his latest Missing 411 book) seems to take care not to suggest a bigfoot involvement, but he does present cases where a "bear" is seen to snatch children, a "big black man" snatches a child from bedroom full of children, and accounts from child-abductees associated with being taken care of by a hairy bear.

After reading the first two books, I have to agree that he took quite a care not mentioning the bigfoot, which is interesting because that's the phenomenon he had been investigating for so long. I was sort of expecting him to "hint" the bigfoot here and there throughout the books as I actually thought he had some kind of a "bigfoot" bias, but he didn't come across like that, which makes Missing 411 series a fascinating read in its own stead. He described each case "as is" with what available data he had to share with us the reader.

I recently ordered a third book (Beyond America), so I'm looking forward to that.

Zadius Sky said:
I recently ordered a third book (Beyond America), so I'm looking forward to that.

The third book arrived yesterday and currently reading it. I was rather taken back by the blurb on the back as it was written by Whitley Strieber. At least, no mention of the Grays there.

The author "discovered" a new "category" which is coeds:

pp. xi-xii said:
New Category - Coeds

During our research in various parts of the United States, I first came upon a student missing from a school that my son was attending, Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. I first heard about this case and then committed over two weeks to being on site and examining the facts behind the disappearance. You will find this event to be one of the most unusual and disturbing cases I have ever written about. The reality of finding this case led me to research the disappearance of other coeds across North America, and that led to a special section in this book devoted specifically university and college students that disappeared. I did write about the disappearance of Paula Welden from Bennington, Vermont, in Missing 411-Eastern United States. Paula was a student at the college that took a daytime hike to a local mountain and disappeared under very unusual circumstances. This was really the first case I wrote about that relates to college students. There was also a case involving two University of California, Berkeley students (Orvar Von Laas and Walter Gordon) that both disappeared within months of each other at Yosemite National Park. The disappearance of the UC students actually fits two different criteria in this book: multiple disappearances and coed disappearances.

You will find this new section chilling in that the disappearances fit many of the criteria found in the general section of this book, and you may come to some conclusions on your own about the disappearances of some of the brightest minds in our collegiate arena.

Here's the interview article on this book:

_http://www.examiner.com/article/david-paulides-on-the-new-third-book-missing-411-north-america-and-beyond

fwiw.

Here is a recent missing person case which is very similar to the cases in the book:

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/dylan-redwine-missing-colo-boy-found-dead

Searchers find remains of boy missing since November in southwest Colorado. Criminal investigation continues, but cause of death unclear.

DURANGO, Colo. — Teams looking for a 13-year-old boy last seen in November during a visit with his father have found his remains in southwest Colorado, La Plata County sheriff's officials said Thursday.

Authorities said Wednesday that a five-day search for signs of Dylan Redwine ended with the teams finding several undisclosed items.

Some of the items included bones, they said Thursday. The Colorado Bureau of Investigation told La Plata County sheriff's officials Thursday that testing indicated the remains were Dylan's.

"The parents are obviously devastated. It's not the kind of news we were hoping to give them. We were hoping to find him alive," Durango police Lt. Ray Shupe said. "Our hearts are broken that this is the end result."

The criminal investigation into his disappearance is continuing, sheriff's office spokesman Dan Bender said. District Attorney Todd Risberg said it was too early to say whether charges might be filed. No suspects or persons of interest have been named.

Dylan's family didn't return phone messages from The Associated Press. His father, Mark Redwine, told some Denver media outlets he was focusing on giving Dylan a proper burial.

The boy lived in the Monument area with his mother, Elaine Redwine, but arrived in La Plata County on Nov. 18 for a court-ordered visit in Vallecito with his father, Mark Redwine. The father said he returned home from running errands Nov. 19 to find Dylan was gone.

About 45 officers spent five days searching a 12-mile stretch of Middle Mountain Road looking for clues in the case this week. The search had been planned as a follow-up after snow melted this spring.

The latest search was conducted in the deep canyons and dense forest of the Middle Mountain area, north of Vallecito Lake.

"The search area varies from hundreds of feet off the road to 5 feet off the road you have cliffs," Bender told the Durango Herald.

The remains were found about 8 to 10 miles from Mark Redwine's home via rural roads
, Bender said.

Shupe declined to comment on what else searchers found with Dylan's remains, or how and when Dylan might have died.

"Now that we've found him, our next mission is to find exactly what happened to him," he said.

The case drew national attention, including an appearance by the parents on the "Dr. Phil" show. During the show, Elaine Redwine and Mark Redwine each accused the other of responsibility for their son's disappearance.

Bender said investigators earlier spent five days building a dam in a fruitless attempt to search the reservoir, and searches have occurred weekly since the snow melted.

I just started reading the western U.S. book. Scary for sure. Especially since I have hiked many miles alone in the Colorado wilderness over the past couple of decades. I didn't experience any High Strangeness although there are places where I felt very uneasy for some reason.

I had an incident that shows how easily a person can get lost and how quickly. About 20 years ago my wife and I drove to Colorado for what was to be a camping trip. What we found was rain and thunderstorms nearly all day and night. After two days of this we were driving west to see if we could get out of the storm system. We went over Weston pass, I think, and found broken clouds and some sun on the other side. Just down from the pass was a national forest campground. We decided if we are going to camp this was the place.

We came into the campground and picked a nice stall. This was late afternoon. There was one other group of campers a ways down, but they left after an hour or so. We had the place to our selves. We set-up the tent. Almost an afterthought I started looking around for fire wood. Near the camp there was little to be found. Past campers had picked it nearly clean. I set off deeper into the woods to see what I could find. I walked some distance from the camp when I came upon a small dead , but still standing tree. Probably an aspen. A light tug on it, it broke off near the ground. I though this was perfect, enough wood for this evening and for morning as well.

I picked up one end of the tree to drag it back to camp. Then I realized that I didn't know which way to go, and it was getting dark fast Everything was turning dark blue and the trees all looked alike. I knew I hadn't come by a straight path as I walked side to side looking for wood. I started in several directions but but then stopped each time. I just didn't know. I felt a wave of panic start to rise.

I decided to call to my wife, hoping it she could hear me. I shouted her name three or four times with no answer. Finally, I yelled with all my might. I heard her voice. Much farther off than I expected, but I had a direction. I dragged the tree back to camp ok, but was really shaken know that I barely avoided a long night in the forest.

When I got back to the camp she asked me what I was shouting about. Not willing to admit that I was nearly lost I said "Oh, nothing". :-[ I always remembered that moment when I was hiking trails alone. Look for landmarks and keep my compass close. A person can become lost in an instant and the forest is very big and deep.

Mac

In John Keel's first book, Jadoo, there is an interesting passage:

... This odd belief springs from an incident that happened back in the early 1900's when the English were stretching a telegraph line from Kalimpong to Lhasa. It was a big job and many hillmen were hired to work on it. Some of them were camped at Chumbithang, three miles from the Jelep-la pass, one of the gateways into Tibet. One evening a dozen workers failed to return. The next morning a squad of British soldiers were out to search for them.

They found, instead, a strange animal hiding under some giant boulders in the approaches to the pass. They shot it and dragged it to the nearest dak bungalow. Later, Sir Charles Bell, then the British political officer of Sikkim, came and ordered the carcass packed and shipped away, supposedly to England. It was never seen again and there is no trace of it.

LQB said:

... This odd belief springs from an incident that happened back in the early 1900's when the English were stretching a telegraph line from Kalimpong to Lhasa. It was a big job and many hillmen were hired to work on it. Some of them were camped at Chumbithang, three miles from the Jelep-la pass, one of the gateways into Tibet. One evening a dozen workers failed to return. The next morning a squad of British soldiers were out to search for them.

They found, instead, a strange animal hiding under some giant boulders in the approaches to the pass. They shot it and dragged it to the nearest dak bungalow. Later, Sir Charles Bell, then the British political officer of Sikkim, came and ordered the carcass packed and shipped away, supposedly to England. It was never seen again and there is no trace of it.

That is very interesting. It would have been useful to see a further information on that particular creature. I was just wondering if it was a four-legged or bipedal.

Thanks for that find, LQB

Zadius Sky said:
LQB said:

That is very interesting. It would have been useful to see a further information on that particular creature. I was just wondering if it was a four-legged or bipedal.

Thanks for that find, LQB

The context in the text was the Yeti biped - not some bear or other beast. Apparently this worker crew disappeared.

Here is another recent interview with David Paulides, very interesting and creepy:

https://youtu.be/fr0JYeaAJ3o

I can't even imagine what kind of torture it must be for the relatives of those missing people, who never got an answer to what happened to their loved ones, who just seem to have vanished completely.

And on top of that, the incredible sloppiness, covering up and not doing their duty of many of those authorities who should help and do everything in their power to help those families to find their loved ones. Makes me very angry :curse:

It is quite obvious that at some level there must be a deliberate cover up of those missing cases by our authorities. The question is:
What do they know and why are they covering it up?

That all smells very fishy to me...

I suspect the truth could be very dark.

Pashalis said:
Here is another recent interview with David Paulides, very interesting and creepy:

It is! Thank you for sharing.

Pashalis said:
It is quite obvious that at some level there must be a deliberate cover up of those missing cases by our authorities. The question is:
What do they know and why are they covering it up?

That all smells very fishy to me...

I suspect the truth could be very dark.

Well, we can think of at least several usual suspects. :( Also, since Appalachian trail was mentioned, here's this short excerpt from one of C's sessions:

January 7, 1995
Q: (L) By the way, T***, your information about the bases in Appalachia happens to have been confirmed. (T) Are there military bases in the Appalachian mountains?
A: Yes.
Q: (L) Hidden ones?
Q: (T) Are they for the subjugation of the U.S. when they start the implement the final stages of the New World Order in this country?
A: Remains to be seen.

Oh, and as for the mention of weather suddenly changing after disappearances... David Paulides refers to the possibility of government somehow controlling the weather, while it is quite possible that we are dealing with just another manifestation of the cosmic trickster. I wonder if he is aware of the works by John Keel, or the story behind the "Path of the Skinwalker" book.

A recent article on Bigfoot aka Sasquatch.

Bigfoot (and here a new word not heard before - "bookmis" from the Nuu-chah-nulth) leaves its (perhaps two) muddy marks near Ahousaht, BC Canada (photos of prints in article).

“He took us out there when tide was out yesterday to make sure what he saw was actually there and to make sure that it’s gone,” said the relative.

The first set of prints they came across appeared to be a set of large feet indicating that the owner of the feet had been seated on a log.

“It was big, about 16 inches from heel to toe and it was 7 to 9 inches wide from big toe to little toe,” said the witness.

“I have a size 9 boot and I put my foot beside the print and it was not quite three-quarters of the size of the footprint,” he continued.

_http://www.hashilthsa.com/news/2014-02-28/bigfoot-leaves-his-muddy-mark-near-ahousaht

Came across this man, Rene Dahinden, a Swiss living in Canada, in an old archive documentry. Dahinden published and spent mush of his life, to the detriment of his family life, in search for Sasquatch. He likely was one of the few authorities on the subject back then, and other researchers reference him in their work.

Here is a documentary (1976 - 15 min.- ) about him and his searches, including the U.S. and trips to Europe. He never actually encountered what he was looking for and spent all his money doing so - a lifetime obsession - He died April 2001.

CBC Archives said:
Tracking the Sasquatch

Have you ever spied on Sasquatch or ogled Ogopogo? Do you ponder the buried treasure on Oak Island or sob over suicidal lemmings? You're not alone. Canada is full of stories about elusive monsters, legendary loot, mystical creatures and contemporary lore. Join CBC Archives as we take a trip across this land of legends.

Rene Dahinden is probably Canada's only full-time sasquatch hunter. Since 1957 the Swiss immigrant's sole pursuit has been to seek out the legendary hairy giant of the B.C. forest. He's taken hundreds of footprint casts and owned a share of the world's only Sasquatch film, but has never managed to catch a glimpse of the beast. Even so, Dahinden is convinced the sasquatch is real. "I will keep on searching 'til I find the damn thing," he tells CBC Television's The Fifth Estate in 1976.

Dahinden's obsession broke up his family and forced an austere lifestyle on him. Every penny he earned went straight to his search. He carefully followed up every sighting and found witness reports dating back to 1811. Despite Dahinden's efforts to prove the sasquatch exists, scientists are skeptical. "We have no skulls, no bones, nothing," says one. "Just these nebulous footprints which can be manufactured, or films which can be manufactured."

30 minute documentary here _http://www.cbc.ca/player/Digital+Archives/Science+and+Technology/The+Unexplained/ID/1404630809/

This brought me back to this session:

Session Feb 1996

{Background for next question: Headless Valley is a specific region (Lat: 61.25 Long: -124.5) of the South Nahanni River valley (Canada) said to encompass a lost world complete with tropical forests, murderously savage natives, and a myriad of mysterious creatures ranging from 'Bear Dogs' to Sasquatch. The legend of Headless Valley is unusual in that it is fairly modern, having originated in 1908, following the discovery of two decapitated miners in the region of the South Nahanni River. Since that time, several other disappearances and murders have been documented in the region. See also: http://raven-talesoftheweird.blogspot.com/2011/02/valley-of-headless-men.html}

Q: (L) I guess. Okay, there is some valley in Canada that is supposed to be very mysterious and it seems that no one will go to the area any more because they all end up dead with their heads cut off. Who is doing this? Is there some Indians or cave people or what?

A: STS beings, density 4.

Q: (L) Oh, goodness! Well, I think that I ought to ask something else because I have this feeling that there is something right around the corner, or something just out of my line of sight that I do not see. I guess I am asking for unknown knowledge.

A: Knowledge of an unknown nature is not knowledge.

{there was also this}

Q: Who was this werewolf? I was expecting to see a Lizard, or anything but a werewolf. He had eyes like lasers.

A: Screen mask.

Q: What was behind the screen?

A: You know.

Q: Lizards?

Q: Why would they screen themselves as a werewolf?

A: Cloak.

There is no indication that, Dahinden, traveled the Nahanni River as referenced above that I could find.

In BC, there is a a PDF link to sightings that go way back and testimonials here:_http://www.sasquatchcanada.com/bc-sightings.html and the PDF here: _http://www.sasquatchcanada.com/uploads/9/4/5/1/945132/british_columbia-sasquatch-sighting-reports.pdf

They certainly seem to "cloak" themselves alright.

Edit=Quote

Mal7 said:
I am quite interested in reading the Western United States Missing 411 book, as I will be staying in Colorado Springs for 12 nights in August. It will be the first time I have been out of New Zealand since 1997. The two main scenic features worthy of visiting seem to be the railway trip up Pikes Peak and the Garden of the Gods. The main cluster of disappearances in that state seems to be somewhat further to the north. [I will also be keeping my eyes open for the art of the Denver Airport.]

I haven't ordered the book yet, but did scroll through the Amazon reviews, which were quite numerous and mostly very positive.

Some of the negative reviews made the point that Paulides made much of the fact that victims were found with items of their clothing missing, when this could perhaps be explained by what happens to people in later stages of hypothermia.
The temperature doesn't have to be all that cold to become hypothermic either - the combination of physical exertion, followed by getting wet (which increases the rate of heat loss), can lead quite rapidly to hypothermia.

Maybe, but it just doesn't occur in mild temperatures normally. Some of the people do have temperatures when found alive. The descriptions of the clothing missing contains elements just as inexplicable as other factors. Pieces of clothing found gradually in places and strewn over a span of turf that no small child could traverse while in cold or warm weather. One especially vivid account looks as if the child's clothing had been tossed off as the child was being carried. And since when do very young children undress anyway? Many parents have said their kids were too young to do that, or to re-tie the shoes (wrongly) as in some accounts. Sorry, it does not make sense and that hypothermia drum they keep beating has only one note. Why so often only shoes missing? One little girl Paulides describes was found calmly sitting, no clothes at all, on a stone wall, eating berries.

Hi CharlotteKey,

Welcome to our forum. :)

We recommend all new members to post an introduction in the Newbies section telling us a bit about themselves, how they found the cass material, and how much of the work here they have read.

You can have a look through that board to see how others have done it.

Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but Paulides has a 4th book out: The Devil's In the Details.

http://www.canammissing.com/missing-411--the-devils-.html

This is the fourth book in the blockbuster “Missing 411” series that describes unusual incidents of people that have disappeared in National Parks and forests of the world. It is a significant step forward in the understanding of the missing phenomena that adds several new elements never before identified. This book describes additional victims, new locations and circumstances while outlining new geographical clusters. The number of people that fit the identified profile and the distances and elevations covered during their journeys will mesmerize you.

The book ends with series of charts that expose specific elements that are identified in each of the other books, their frequency, location and timing.

**It is highly recommended that you read any of the other “Missing 411” books prior to this. The reader needs to have a background on the topic prior to reading this work to get the full understanding of what is revealed.

This book includes stories from the following areas:

United States (33 States)
Canada (7 Provinces)
Australia (5 Territories)
Borneo
Ecuador
United Kingdom
New Zealand
Switzerland
Austria

Sub Chapters:
Cornerstone Cases
Weather Conditions
Criminal Allegations
Last in Line
Missing from Inside the Home
Missing from Inside a Vehicle
Locations Previously Searched
Scholars/Intellectuals
Disabled or Injured
Elevation Gain
Distance Traveled
Aircraft Associated with Missing Person Cases
List of Missing from this Book
National parks

Current Book Review from Amazon.com

Posted 6/24/14 by Meta Morley

After reading David Paulides' fourth book, "The Devil's in the Detail", I sat stunned contemplating the 'where' and 'how' questions of the missing people documented in the "Missing 411" books, knowing those answers could well turn our entire idea of reality and perhaps even religion upside down. The weight of those thoughts was paralyzing so I brought myself back to 'reality' by turning on my laptop and checking a current news website for weather updates, etc..I needed to read something mundane to flush my thoughts of the missing away. But what was plastered across the computer screen was not predicted storms in the southern states but the headlines: "Search continues for Missing California off-duty Firefighter in Los Padres National Park". I could not believe what I was seeing just a couple of minutes after finishing Paulides fourth book! I thought, 'Dear Lord, it is real and it's happening now.' Every characteristic of the off-duty firefighter's disappearance had been covered over and over again by Paulides.

"Avid outdoors-man vanishes while chasing his dog into a creek in remote National Park in rugged boulder-strewn terrain...". Obviously the SAR team's bloodhounds have not picked up the man's scent (yet another characteristic Paulides emphasizes) because it's been a week now and he's still missing. The fire-fighter ran off with no shoes on. Time and time again Paulides found that many of the missing were barefoot or had for some bizarre reason ditched their shoes or boots. What compelled this man to chase his dog into the wilderness with no shoes on his feet?! It's one thing to read about cases that happened in the past, but to know that a current case is making headline news at this very moment is absolutely disconcerting and utterly terrifying! I was so moved after watching news clips regarding search efforts that did something completely out of character and called the Ventura County Search & Rescue office to urge them to read the 'Missing 411' books and to contact Mr. Paulides. Someone needs to tell them about the many missing persons who have been found way beyond what the search parameters may indicate and to concentrate on the areas near creeks or dry creek beds. I pray this young man is located but it isn't looking very good. I just wish someone in the search team had read Paulides books.

Back
Top Bottom