Mom in ICU with sepsis, Hail Mary post!

First of all, my condolences to you and your family. :hug2:

Considering what you have written, since she was very closed to her daughter and even though that she is 97, I would go with option 3, and let her soul decide what to do after that(stay on this planet or leave) and if she decides to stay, go with that part of option 2 if possible for all of you "find a way to get her to the house to live with us, hire someone to help take care of her".

fwiw

My condolences to you and your family as well, SAO. May your mom have a peaceful transition.

Based on what you wrote, I also think option 3 would be best, and perhaps a combination of 2 and 3 if appropriate. At 97 I would wonder if your grandma has advanced dementia or if she's still capable of making her own decisions for the most part. If she forgets the bad news if you decide to tell her, maybe option 1 would be better. But I think option 1 and 2 would open your family up to a lot of extra stress, especially if those decisions make your grandma unhappy in the end. You may think you're up for caregiving in an emotionally turbulent time, but find out later the hard way you really couldn't handle the extra stress. Not to mention, taking her out of the nursing home might be traumatic for her if she's gotten used to the environment (in case she has dementia).

I think if I were in her position, I would want to know the truth about my daughter and say goodbye. It would be up to her at the soul level if she wants to continue living after the news, or if she decides it would be a good time for her to check out. She may decide she'd like to live with you after the news. There was a C's session that said something along the lines of determining the needs of others being STS, and I get the feeling it would be abridging her free will to deceive her and make decisions for her that she can still make herself. It can be hard to see that when you feel you're acting out of love, but I think love based on lies isn't really love for another (unless they ask for lies).

I hope that makes sense, and that others will chime in for their perspectives, too.

I know this is a terrible time for you and your dad and brother, so I hope you all are taking care of yourselves as well. EE can help keep a clear head for tough decisions.

All the best. :hug2:

Hello SAO, my condolences to you and your family also. May your mother have an easy transition.

In this situation, it might be a good idea to put yourself in your grandmother's shoes. I mean, if something happened to your brother or your father wouldn't you want to know? Or if something happened to you or your brother wouldn't your father want to know?

I agree with your girlfriend and advice given here. Take care. 🙏

I'm sorry to hear about your mother, SAO. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers! It's understandable the decision you guys made in the situation to comfort your grandma by pretending, but I too think option 3 is the best option, as hard as it is. It may very well be that she is heartbroken and decides to check out of this world, but I think that's her choice, on a soul level. Either way, you guys can make an effort to be with her and provide whatever love and comfort for her.

Toutes mes condoléances pour le départ de votre Maman qui reste dans nos prières et pensées...
Elle reste dans nos prières pour une transition douce et rapide...

I am so sorry for the loss of your Mom who remains in our prayers and thoughts...
She remains in our prayers for a smooth and quick transition...

I am very sorry to hear about your mother, SAO. May your mother have a peaceful transition and may your father, brother, grand-mother and yourself feel supported by the fact that her suffering has ended.
Any thoughts? This is a really hard one. My girlfriend also is strongly in favor of 3 - that she has the right to know the truth, this is her daughter, and even if it may kill her, it’s just wrong to keep it from her. But im trying to remember the rule of 3 - there is right, wrong, and the specific situation that determines which is which. I hate lying but… but what would be the right thing here?
I agree with your girl-friend as well. Even if the heartbreak may kill her at least she will be able to say good-bye to her daughter. Perhaps the idea of meeting her again very soon in the afterlife will even comfort her, but then I don't know whether your grand-mother is religious or not. Also, even if your grand-mother is very old she deserves to be told. We can't hide painful truths from our nearest and dearest and it is not up to us to protect them from pain. They have their own life lessons to learn, although I can certainly understand the wish to shield her from heartbreak.

I send you a big hug, I hope you will make a decision soon as this will make everything you and your family are presently going through easier. :hug2:

Added: what would your mother have wanted? Perhaps that is a thought that could help all of you?

I am sorry to hear about mothers passing. May she rest in peace. Regarding the dilemma, I tend to gravitate towards option3. It will be much more devastating to your grandma to know about the hiding of the truth. I hope every thing will be as alright in the end.

Please accept my condolences SAO and all your family and may your mother have an easy and peaceful transition.
I also believe that your grandmother deserves the truth and love from all of you. You remain in my prayers.

Recevez mes condoléances SAO ainsi que toute votre famille et puisse votre mère avoir une transition facile et paisible.
Je crois aussi que votre grand-mère mérite la vérité et votre amour à tous. Vous restez dans mes prières.

I’m very sorry to hear about your mother ScioAgapeOmnis; please accept my condolences.

I understand that your grandma is old and fragile, but she has the right to know, so I also voice option 3.

Be with her as long as you can and yeah, we are always here for you.
:hug2:

My condolences on your mother's passing.

I didn't read that your gram's mind is affected, only that she is frail with age. If she were my gram, I'd tell her and take to the funeral, if her condition permits it. And after, if it were me, I'd make sure she gets visits and phone calls from the family, regularly.

I think you guys pick up grandma today, take her to the house, and tell her at the house. Then, propose to grandma that she lives at the house immediately because you all love her and want her to live at the house, and let grandma decide where she wants to live. It's just wrong to be making decisions for her when she still has the free will to decide for herself and circumstances still allow for the carrying out of her decisions.

I think you guys pick up grandma today, take her to the house, and tell her at the house. Then, propose to grandma that she lives at the house immediately because you all love her and want her to live at the house, and let grandma decide where she wants to live. It's just wrong to be making decisions for her when she still has the free will to decide for herself and circumstances still allow for the carrying out of her decisions.
That's easier said than done. Grandma may be better off, where she is.

@ScioAgapeOmnis consider bringing gram to live with you carefully. I'm not being cold here, but practical. I helped take care if my gram, at my parents' home and my mum is 94, living at home with my brother, now with other family members, giving him every other week, away so he can be with his boyfriend, who is ill with cancer.

How much care does gram need? Can she go to the bathroom on her own? Can she eat on her own...Any special diet? Some older ppl need thickened liquids so they don't choke. How much medical attendance does she need?

How much help and what kind can you afford? Do you work away from home? Are you ok with caregivers alone in house with gram? Will you pay for caregivers to work around the clock or will you take on care of her after work or night time?
Are you ok with bathing her? Cleaning up if she soils herself?
Can she walk? Is she steady walking with or without a walker? Lifting may be needed in a way that doesn't hurt her.

Please do not make quick decisions. Taking care of an older person is a big responsibility and you will have to sacrifice much of your time and mobilty. I read 3 men and a girlfriend available....talk among yourselves.

That's easier said than done. Grandma may be better off, where she is.

@ScioAgapeOmnis consider bringing gram to live with you carefully. I'm not being cold here, but practical. I helped take care if my gram, at my parents' home and my mum is 94, living at home with my brother, now with other family members, giving him every other week, away so he can be with his boyfriend, who is ill with cancer.

How much care does gram need? Can she go to the bathroom on her own? Can she eat on her own...Any special diet? Some older ppl need thickened liquids so they don't choke. How much medical attendance does she need?

How much help and what kind can you afford? Do you work away from home? Are you ok with caregivers alone in house with gram? Will you pay for caregivers to work around the clock or will you take on care of her after work or night time?
Are you ok with bathing her? Cleaning up if she soils herself?
Can she walk? Is she steady walking with or without a walker? Lifting may be needed in a way that doesn't hurt her.

Please do not make quick decisions. Taking care of an older person is a big responsibility and you will have to sacrifice much of your time and mobilty. I read 3 men and a girlfriend available....talk among yourselves.
This is part of the consideration, gram needs lots of help. She is just old, not sick, but frail and all the little things she needs help, including bathroom visits, showering, etc. My dad spent the last few years being a hospice nurse for my sick mom, and we certainly cannot expect him to now full time care for grandma, that would be cruel. He needs to find himself, figure out a purpose and find joy in his life, and basically re-discover life outside of 24/7 taking care of mom while also working full time from home.

I don’t live at home, I live in an apartment with my girlfriend. So that puts everything on my brother Dan, who runs a company and worms like 16 hour days as well. So an assistant will be needed. Grandma doesn’t speak English only Russian, so they also have to be Russian. And of course grandma’s free will must be considered and the trust issue of having someone be at the house with her basically 24/7.

This isn’t an easy thing, it’s just the idea of her in that nursing home after losing mom seems absolutely awful and we want her to be able to be surrounded with family, without somehow burdening the same family beyond all reason.

We’re going to have a lengthy discussion about it today, decide what to do, how to do it, etc. I’m definitely in favor of option 3 myself, we just have to be very careful and think about our approach, the logistics of what we can do with/for grandma, etc. It won’t be an easy situation no matter what happens, so we must tread carefully and not make any rash decisions.

I agree with all the thoughts, I am just fully aware of the risks and complexities of what’s involved and it’s frankly scary. How will she take it? Will she survive? Will they allow me to stay there (due to Covid) to be with her in the next few days? Can dad and Dan handle the remainder of the funeral arrangements without me? What if grandma’s heart gives out before mom’s funeral - how can we deal with both things if the worst comes to pass? There’s only 3 of us and we’re scrambling to make all the arrangements while trying to grieve in between all the errands as it is.

And of course the logistics and timeline of bringing grandma to the house needs time. She can’t walk on her own more than a few feet with a walker (so, wheelchair).

Sorry I don’t mean to vent, it’s just a lot to juggle and to consider. And whole time I’m also thinking of dad - he needs to find a life, he hasn’t been out of the house other than food shopping and taking care of mom for years. And Dan is taking a sabbatical from work (due to burnout, the plan was to spend more time with mom, but of course she died before this started), and he also needs to focus on self care and repair from burnout.

There’s the option of my girlfriend and I moving into the house to help, but that too will take time to arrange and there’s some “bad blood” between mom and gf, so dad would have to be ok with that as well, and hopefully they will reconcile, if such a move is even on the cards.

Life can get really complicated all at once sometimes! Lots to think about, and lots of strategizing to do.

All this feedback is helping a lot to bring clarity, so thank you all!

Also I didn’t get to properly thank everyone for their recommendations when the situation was quite different this past weekend, there were some great ideas and lots of thought out into them, unfortunately the situation resolved itself before we had any time to implement anything. However, I am happy that mom is unburdened from her suffering, and I think she chose her graceful exit because she knew it was time. She also did it during the blood moon lunar eclipse, at 11:50 PM Eastern Time (we were holding her until her final breath), probably because she wanted to make a grand exit, that’s just how she rolls!

Oh and she smelled like strawberries the entire time. People say dying people, especially with sepsis, can smell bad. She smelled like a dessert, even after she passed. I don’t know how she managed that, but she did.

Also be sheer coincidence, my friend told me his mom passed this Tuesday (she has pancreatic cancer). They cannot afford a funeral. He’s also mentally challenged (on the autism spectrum) and he is all alone so Dan and I will be discussing how we can organize a service for his mom as well shortly after. Every mom deserves a dignified proper ceremony and a loving exit. And also as a coincidence, another very close friend lost his mom about a month ago and will be helping us arrange this as well.

It’s like all of our moms got together on the soul level and decided to go on a really long cigarette break together to 5D. But seriously, moms need to chill, enough is enough!

Back
Top Bottom