My petty tyrant (Not dealing very well)

Hey everyone, there are very good posts in this thread! Lots of good thoughts to consider.
I would like to contribute, because these situations awaken high interest in me.

Here are some notes I made while I was once listening to an audio recording by Dick Sutphen.
Most of these probably do NOT apply directly to this particular person and situation that has been described by Tigersoap. However I believe they can be useful tools to avoid the energy drain one experiences when confronted by manipulating bullies and petty tyrants that we are forced to deal with.

Verbal techniques when attacked by manipulation.

notes from Sutphen's Verbal techniques when attacked by manipulation (audio segment) said:
First, keep MIND LIKE CALM WATER

1 calm repetition of your position: A person has only so many no's, so you just need to repeat assertion 1 more time than they have a "no", avoiding getting trapped in their manipulations of their refusal statements
2 Use "I-first" statements. "I want", "I feel this when" etc. When you are explicit & clear in your desires, it is harder to manipulate you then.
3 Clouding (this technique is better for people who are NOT close) Listen carefully, paraphrase back, give nothing for them to attack, no defense, no explanation, no apology. Self respect is maintained.
4 Negative declaration. When confronted by legitimate mistake you made, just admit it, without apology, without any denial. The key is to not show, nor need to feel, any guilt for a reasonable human mistake.
5 Negative question. (More for close ones). Continually ask for more criticism, more failings: get more data out. This might even teach them less manipulation, and to be more assertive. (Is there any other reason...?) The idea is to exhaust complaints the person has.
6 Compromise. This is not a technique but a consideration in relationships. However it is not acceptable if one loses self esteem.
7 Side tracking. This is actually closer to manipulation itself rather than an assertiveness technique, but may be useful for touchy diplomatic situations where you wish to avoid answering a question but want to appear that you have. Partially answer the question, but move to a more interesting topic, in order to avoid the manipulation the other person is setting you up for by asking the inflammatory question of you in the first place.

Below sticking with the business-- very important:

kenlee said:
sidestepping his “line of force” (his BS) and staying within your own line of effectiveness (by just sticking with the business) while moving out of his range of effectiveness (by not getting pulled into all his nonsense)? Evidently this person is a covert aggressive and loves to play you and make you 'jump.'

I like that "sticking with the business" idea very much that Kenlee mentioned. It came to my mind, that when you see someone is starting to waste your time by getting long winded you have a right to end it. Especially if you find that the longwinded tirade is not really related to the "business", or issue at hand, but has turned into a personal attack of some sort. The "extra stuff" is clearly about manipulation and pushing buttons and can usually be separated from the issue. This could give a very solid and good reason to be firm to him cut off the tirade to bring him back to the topic, and failing that, even abruptly end the conversation: "I am busy, I simply do not have the time to talk about side issues. Why don't you cool off for a few minutes and then call me back when you wish to discuss only the topic, and in professional manner."

Actually now that I think about it, I might repeat that phrase 2 or three times to give him a chance, before hanging up, or walking out of the room. It is possible that when he sees that you just cannot be sidetracked, he may have to give it up.

Note that I suggest the phrase "why don't you cool off", and request the person to be "professional". This came to my mind because I suddenly thought that this may suggest to him that the nonprofessional emotional reaction that he is trying to elicit in you, is actually occurring in him! In fact, even if someone is outwardly calm, but going on a personal attack, one can legitimately assume the person is getting emotional - they certainly are not being professional, because intellectually they should be staying on the topic and working towards a mutually acceptable solution, right?

Yes as Kenlee put it, it would seem he is a bully = covert aggressive. I was prompted to think of that Sam Vaknin video someone posted (http://blip.tv/file/2268740), (time about 38:30) who revealed that when he was bullying the filmmaker, that he was purposely acting so as to raise and lower the stress syndrome (or stress response) of the film maker to maximize the effect. (this is brutal). I wonder if our petty tyrants do this sometimes to keep us off balance in order to manipulate us? Not saying this person described here actually uses this particular technique, but I mention it to keep it in mind.

Tigersoap said:
It's a bit of a conundrum, it's this person way or no way but I'll try to remember to not engage more than I should.

See Sutphen's technique #1 about "no". Imagine that the deadline is too short. It simply must be set at a later date. It must be repeated often enough until he runs out of nos. No apology, no excuses, give NOTHING for him to grab onto. Let him expend his energy insulting your style, reliability, competency and manhood if he wants to. Your mind is like calm water the whole time waiting for the tirade to end. During the tirade, you think about Gurdjieff calling people machines, and you think about this guy as a little box of gears running a little programmed punch card entitled "bully". Then, when he has expended himself, once again you reaffirm the deadline will be later.

Yeah, sounds easy to write it doesn't it? A lot harder to put in practise. But we gotta have some ideas to try out.

Ha, this is probably not at all useful, and might come off sounding flippant, but it popped into my mind if someone said to me "some people do the work as you in 24 hours", I would feel like saying "ok, well call them then, good-bye". I wonder how that might work? Depends on the situation and person involved, I guess. One has to go with their "gut" instinct on this one.

Tigersoap said:
the first time that person called me it was already like non-stop talking until I cave-in.I haven't found the balance yet to be impervious to such verbal assault so either I just shut down every communication or I am too open and I get dragged along. Still learning !!

Ah yes! "non-stop talking until I cave-in" sounds a bit like my wife actually: my own handy petty tyrant! But what a learning opportunity! [I am wayyyy too positive!]. For my wife, when the points have been made and it has descended into simple badgering, I point out that the conversation is not going anywhere and I politely, repeatedly, but firmly, request her to stop the lecture/discussion at least for a time. If she does not, I point out that she is not respecting my wishes for a break, and she has no right to force a conversation I do not want. At this point I feel justified to remove myself from the situation, without guilt, nor anger. However, when it is a close person who is the bully, the issue is different than a bully colleague, though, so maybe this last bit is not very applicable to this situation.

_Breton_

Breton said:
Hey everyone, there are very good posts in this thread! Lots of good thoughts to consider.
I would like to contribute, because these situations awaken high interest in me.

Yes indeed :)
Thanks for the Sutphens technique.

[quote author=Breton]Note that I suggest the phrase "why don't you cool off", and request the person to be "professional". This came to my mind because I suddenly thought that this may suggest to him that the nonprofessional emotional reaction that he is trying to elicit in you, is actually occurring in him! In fact, even if someone is outwardly calm, but going on a personal attack, one can legitimately assume the person is getting emotional - they certainly are not being professional, because intellectually they should be staying on the topic and working towards a mutually acceptable solution, right?
[/quote]

That's the impression I get, I think that my demeanor is triggering something as well within this person, a few times I held firmly to my position in this calm manner and I think it drove this person nuts, but contrary to what people think, that person has quite some self control but I can hear the controlled anger/tension behind the words (of course I could be wrong in what I think I perceive.).
I am usually calm and reserved so I think it might be very unsettling for this person

[quote author=Breton]Ha, this is probably not at all useful, and might come off sounding flippant, but it popped into my mind if someone said to me "some people do the work as you in 24 hours", I would feel like saying "ok, well call them then, good-bye". I wonder how that might work? Depends on the situation and person involved, I guess. One has to go with their "gut" instinct on this one.[/quote]

Well that's exactly what I did but it does not deter this person, in fact, it makes the matter worse.
Without me there is no contract so I think that this person knows it and does not like it one bit that I can decide or not to follow a project for valid reasons or even ask for some discussion about the matter.
So perhaps out of fear of being judged this person lashes out at me, I don't know.
I'd have to be more externally considerate as well and keep all that in mind.

Tigersoap, what would it take to find out everything there is to know about this individual? I'm thinking in terms of a Casteneda type stalking the petty tyrant here, as well as knowledge protects. . .

If it's doable, with the proper intent, it could take mastery of self importance to another level. Hope I'm not off on this - just a thought.

Thanks for your comments Tigersoap!

After posting I had this thought:

My last posting was about techniques to deal with bullies, petty tyrants.
Perhaps what I could have focused more on, is the inner Work that we can do when we face these wonderful creatures that become available for our lessons.

For example, perhaps I should be considering more the techniques of self-observation one could be doing to use the petty tyrants to expose our predator's mind, our self-importance and our programs? Or how the tyrant serves as a source of negative emotions that can be transformed?

However, unless we can be calm, and keep our emotions below the neck, then the tyrant will drain us of energy and so we cannot self-observe anyways. Therefore I conclude that job number one in these situations for someone doing the Work, is to learn how to control one's "carriage" (Gurdjieff analogy again) well enough to end the energy drain. In which case, having a variety of techniques at our disposal to do this, will be useful.

Breton said:
And it may well be because of my history of allowing my wife to bully me until our 10th anniversary that is one reason why any discussion of bullying, petty tyrants, is so interesting to me.

Gimpy said:
If this dude is promising Tigersoap for jobs, it makes me wonder if he is having trouble doing his own job. He knows he can wear Tiger down or just dump a job on him, and he may be trying to save his position.

This is what I believe is happening. He or she is either not capable of adequately doing their job or doesn't want to do it and therefore pushes their work onto not just you, but others in your position. This is not personal. In my experience, people act relatively the same towards everyone. Some people may get "better" or "worse" treatment based upon how much the narcissist believes they can get away with. So I believe that you are not the only one going through this at that company. In your posts, I think you may have stated this as well. This is to your advantage as there are others you work with that experience the same or similar behaviors from this person.

I agree with the good advice given here. Practicing strategic enclosure via setting up boundaries will hopefully take care of some of the ongoing stress this person seeks to cause in you. I don't think there is anything you can do to make this person happy or realize what they are doing. They're simply not interested in that. I think even if you were willing and able to give this person what they want, they would come up with some other tactic. This person enjoys the perceived power they have over others and seeks to elicit this via stress and that person's reaction to it. There can be no other way for this narcissist.

As has been stated, the only control you have is to understand what programs this person is setting off in you. I don't currently believe that narcissists have any special way of determining what specifically sets off people. I think they just repeat what they have noticed that worked in the past with others. Of course if it's a work situation, the way to push someone's buttons would be to criticize their work. Maybe I'm oversimplifying here.

If you can get away with using the phone methods, I think that's definitely one good way to go. I also think the suggestions regarding saying little to nothing to this person is a good tactic. You want to use the least amount of energy regarding this person. Will they get angry? Probably, but aren't they angry most of the time anyway? What does it matter what they're angry about? The result will be the same regardless of what you do so you should act in your best interests and please yourself.

Gimpy said:
Have I done this myself? Yes. It did work, and in some cases after the abusive person threw such a blatant fit that his/her coworkers suggested a vacation or counseling. ;) One was my boss at the time, and the problem was solved by changing departments.

Another thing to remember is that everything changes. No situation, whether pleasant or unpleasant, stays the same for long although it may seem like it. From what you've written, it seems that quite a few people have a difficult time with this person. If I understood correctly one or two of his/her bosses may even be aware of the issue. If they're not getting their own work in on time or doing it poorly, I doubt that they will continue to accept the excuse that it's happening because of other people. They will eventually come to realize that the problem is this one person, not the many they continue to blame. Perhaps it's the eternal optimist in me, but I think this won't be able to continue for much longer. More than likely, this person is using the classic pity ploy with their boss. I think this will fall apart soon. How many people can this person continue to blame for their poor work? At the very least, it will show that they have difficulty with working relationships and don't know how to manage effectively.

Last thing, I agree with the suggestion of keeping records of your work. Keep a copy of anything you have to hand in to this person in case it "gets lost". Whenever possible, continue to deal with upper management as you have been doing. Keep developing a good relationship with your colleagues. This will provide backup between all of you in case this person lodges any complaints against any of you. There is strength in numbers. What you want to do (in my opinion) is shut this person out of the loop as much as possible. Don't complain with your colleagues about this person, but rather keep a friendly working environment with them. Support each other so that this person can't get between any of you. You will have then created an unspoken united front against this person.

This person will eventually self destruct when they see their power plays are not having the effect they anticipated. Hope this helps.

Tigersoap said:
Well that's exactly what I did but it does not deter this person, in fact, it makes the matter worse.
Without me there is no contract so I think that this person knows it and does not like it one bit that I can decide or not to follow a project for valid reasons or even ask for some discussion about the matter.
So perhaps out of fear of being judged this person lashes out at me, I don't know.
I'd have to be more externally considerate as well and keep all that in mind.

A lot of very excellent advice given in this thread! I'd just like to add something regarding the subject of external and internal consideration. What I have discovered is that before externally considering anyone it's necessary to be able to properly deal with my own internal reactions first.

The non-internal considering of this person is imo the first and most important thing to do (before external consideration). What I have found is that it’s my inner reactions to these kinds of situations and the inner considering associated with these reactions (such as emotional thinking) that keeps me from acting in an externally considerate way. My reactions will inhibit my being able to act.

If you can 'see' your own inner mechanical reactions to the situation then I think this is the prerequisite to being able to externally consider this situation. In this case externally considering this situation might be just letting this person run his predatory programs without it affecting you internally. Speaking from my own personal experience I know this is much easier said then done! But once the internal reactions quiet down then I've found that the energy to act and think clearly (so as to develop an appropriate strategy), will be more available.

Basically this person is looking for a fight so give the fight he wants right back to him. What I mean is that if you don’t internal consider this person (which imo is the first and most important thing to do by first seeing your own mechanical reactions and taking steps to not identify with the reactions) then you won’t feed his predatory program. In this way you’ll be helping both him and yourself. You’ll be helping yourself by making it easier to not react in this situation (while learning about the nature of the predator mind and it’s running programs) and you’ll be helping him by giving the fight that he wants so desperately from you, back to himself. If he doesn’t get the reactions that he's projecting to you then it’ll go right back to him and he’ll have to see himself and, sooner or later, the frustration from this might make him do something stupid within the company as he tries so desperately to run away from himself.

I just wanted, to close this topic, to say that against all odds, everything has been running smoothly so far with my previous petty tyrant.

I am still wary but either I changed something in me or just the release of talking about it on the forum really helped but there is a definite change in attitude that wasn't expected at all.

So thank you again for all your time and comments.

Tigersoap said:
truth seeker said:
I'm glad to hear your situation is better Tigersoap!

Thanks.
I am getting ready for the next one :D

Yup! Keep those eyes open! ;)

I, too, am glad that things are going more smoothly for you. Hopefully, keeping in mind all of the terrific advice given to you in this thread will help you steer clear of falling into the next petty tyrant's trap. :)

Nienna Eluch said:
Yup! Keep those eyes open! ;)
I, too, am glad that things are going more smoothly for you. Hopefully, keeping in mind all of the terrific advice given to you in this thread will help you steer clear of falling into the next petty tyrant's trap. :)

Yes indeed !
At least I've learned that I should pay more attention to my internal reactions as well.
I may be wrong but I think that I can see my machine a bit better sometimes, the EE must be paying off ;)

Back
Top Bottom