New Additions - kittens

Our cats have always being free to come and go as they please from our home.
I was devastated when I lost Benny last year. I didn't get chance to say goodbye as I was at work and the loss hit me hard as it did my wife and son.
This time these little Kittys have bonded with my little boy.. Jay wasnt around when Benny and Milo were kittens. I think I'm doubly afraid for him. Like I say there's no worries until may or June. The way Betty and Piper look out the window I think I'd feel cruel keeping them in forever. Anyway I'll consider carefully as I'll have to be 100% about the decision I make.
You know our furry friends are such great company and can really help us humans. Walking and spending time with them helps to take your mind off the negative stuff were surrounded by. Thanks all :hug2:

Our cats have always being free to come and go as they please from our home.
I was devastated when I lost Benny last year. I didn't get chance to say goodbye as I was at work and the loss hit me hard as it did my wife and son.
This time these little Kittys have bonded with my little boy.. Jay wasnt around when Benny and Milo were kittens. I think I'm doubly afraid for him. Like I say there's no worries until may or June. The way Betty and Piper look out the window I think I'd feel cruel keeping them in forever. Anyway I'll consider carefully as I'll have to be 100% about the decision I make.
You know our furry friends are such great company and can really help us humans. Walking and spending time with them helps to take your mind off the negative stuff were surrounded by. Thanks all :hug2:
I really enjoy watching my cats playing in nature. In their natural environment, they realize their predatory instinct. But sometimes we humans, as elders, must make a decision for our pets, limiting their freedom of choice.We have a bad experience.
4 years ago we decided that our cat Snowball would no longer catch moles and mice, patrol the outskirts of our village, swear with cats. The danger for him was not cars, but infections. For a long time we could not cure his amebiasis, and then he almost died from the cat immunodeficiency virus. Now he has become a lifelong carrier of this virus and we are not advised to have other cats. He is a huge (5.8 kg), kind cat.
0-02-04-5b9f52832295b7db705677d88e1dfe9cd8bb680c89f1a81cf7f3f0a402975f3d_full.jpgIMG_20180402_222433.jpg
But last fall we had to save 2 kittens from the cold, which settled in our basement. Snowball was given to parents. And we took two kittens and treated them for 4 months. Worms, parasites, giardiasis in both, one was sterilized by Squirrel. But the most difficult is rhinotracheitis or herpes of the cornea in one of the cats, her name is Shasha. It was long, expensive and painful for everyone. Have tried several treatment protocols and clinics. The eye was saved, but herpes can wake up at any moment. After vaccinations, we plan to sterilize her too. Now she is much smaller than her sister, shy and indecisive.

We know that all the cats of our neighbors also suffered from various infections. Much depends on immunity. But we decided not to let them leave the house even in summer. When they get sick, you worry about them like a child.:hug2:

IMG_20210401_203523.jpgIMG_20210331_175457_1.jpg

IMG_20210125_203844.jpgIMG_20210109_093502.jpg

I also have the same question regarding my cat. His name is Spirit and he longs to be outside.

I just moved to a bigger house recently and the property is very big, but there are too many dogs which aren't house dogs so I'm afraid of what they may do to a cat if they see one. Then, there is the fact that cats who moved recently miss their previous home and sometimes get lost trying to go back. It's been a bit more than a month already and he seems to be quite accustomed to the new place, but I'm still afraid to let him go outside on his own.

I also want my cat to go out if he wants because I know that cats usually want to go out and explore the world. I don't want to give him an unhappy life confined to the house when he has such beautiful places to explore. Also, I think that the more he learns to go outside, the more he will learn too how to protect himself, how to climb on a tree or hide when there's a dog, etc. If he's always inside, he will never learn this and some day he might escape and find himself not knowing how to be a cat outside.

Yet, the risk of disease, accidents, or having encounters with dogs makes it hard to make a decision on it.

So what I've been doing, for now, is that I take my cat outside on a leash. Yes, I know that weird for a cat, but they can get used to it, especially if they are young. There are many videos and articles on the internet that tell you how to go about training a cat to go for walks on a leash. It's important to use harness-like leashes with cats because they can easily escape from normal collar-type leashes. And you have to be patient too... walking a cat is not at all like walking a dog. They stay in one spot observing for while, then they move a bit, then they stop, then they jump and stop for another while... :lol:, so you just have to stop and observe with the cat.

It wasn't that hard with Spirit, actually, it's got to the point now that he understands what the leash means (a walk outside) and is happy to go. I think I'll do this for a while more until he is more familiar with the surroundings and sees the dogs so that he know they are there. Or until I make up my mind on whether to let him go on his own or not.

So, maybe this could be an option for some of you as well.

Here's Spirit on his leash when he was a small kitten still. He's a lot bigger now that he's almost 1 year old! :-)

Attachments

• photo_2020-07-23_12-05-15.jpg
    photo_2020-07-23_12-05-15.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 13
Merci pour la photo de SPIRIT qui est souvent dans mes pensées...
YAS, vous faites bien de ne pas le laisser en liberté dehors seul, le harnais est une excellente solution...
Les chats habitués à rester dans la maison ne sont pas malheureux contrairement à ce que beaucoup croient...

Thanks for the picture of SPIRIT who is often in my thoughts...
YAS, you are right not to let him free outside alone, the harness is an excellent solution...
Cats used to stay in the house are not unhappy contrary to what many believe...

View attachment 38834
These are our new additions. Betty the Tabby and Piper. 2 sisters we got the from a cat foster charity. Certainly fun to have them charging round the house.
Our dogs have being fab and the girls have settled in very quickly. They have amazing energy then crash and sleep for hours. Seem like lovely characters very happy to introduce them.
Oh my, what little darlings!! Thank you for sharing and bringing a smile to my day:):)

I really enjoy watching my cats playing in nature. In their natural environment, they realize their predatory instinct. But sometimes we humans, as elders, must make a decision for our pets, limiting their freedom of choice.We have a bad experience.
4 years ago we decided that our cat Snowball would no longer catch moles and mice, patrol the outskirts of our village, swear with cats. The danger for him was not cars, but infections. For a long time we could not cure his amebiasis, and then he almost died from the cat immunodeficiency virus. Now he has become a lifelong carrier of this virus and we are not advised to have other cats. He is a huge (5.8 kg), kind cat.
View attachment 44338View attachment 44339
But last fall we had to save 2 kittens from the cold, which settled in our basement. Snowball was given to parents. And we took two kittens and treated them for 4 months. Worms, parasites, giardiasis in both, one was sterilized by Squirrel. But the most difficult is rhinotracheitis or herpes of the cornea in one of the cats, her name is Shasha. It was long, expensive and painful for everyone. Have tried several treatment protocols and clinics. The eye was saved, but herpes can wake up at any moment. After vaccinations, we plan to sterilize her too. Now she is much smaller than her sister, shy and indecisive.

We know that all the cats of our neighbors also suffered from various infections. Much depends on immunity. But we decided not to let them leave the house even in summer. When they get sick, you worry about them like a child.:hug2:

View attachment 44340View attachment 44342

View attachment 44343View attachment 44344
If your kitties are indoors, I would not get vaccinations. I think it is only injecting poisons into your animal. I have known animals badly injured or sickened after a vaccine. Just my opinion, or only get minimal.

It's been a bit more than a month already
Well if you wanted to let him out to roam free he wouldn't get lost now. Usually people recommend 3 weeks.
So what I've been doing, for now, is that I take my cat outside on a leash. Yes, I know that weird for a cat, but they can get used to it, especially if they are young.
My friend takes his Norwegian forest cat out on the lead. Magnus will be 3 years old. Cats like that get stolen and they live near a main road. My cats are out now and fingers crossed doing well.
I think cats handle dogs better than you might imagine but I understand why you'd be worried.
457359.jpg465812.jpg

I also have the same question regarding my cat. His name is Spirit and he longs to be outside.

I just moved to a bigger house recently and the property is very big, but there are too many dogs which aren't house dogs so I'm afraid of what they may do to a cat if they see one. Then, there is the fact that cats who moved recently miss their previous home and sometimes get lost trying to go back. It's been a bit more than a month already and he seems to be quite accustomed to the new place, but I'm still afraid to let him go outside on his own.

I also want my cat to go out if he wants because I know that cats usually want to go out and explore the world. I don't want to give him an unhappy life confined to the house when he has such beautiful places to explore. Also, I think that the more he learns to go outside, the more he will learn too how to protect himself, how to climb on a tree or hide when there's a dog, etc. If he's always inside, he will never learn this and some day he might escape and find himself not knowing how to be a cat outside.

Yet, the risk of disease, accidents, or having encounters with dogs makes it hard to make a decision on it.

So what I've been doing, for now, is that I take my cat outside on a leash. Yes, I know that weird for a cat, but they can get used to it, especially if they are young. There are many videos and articles on the internet that tell you how to go about training a cat to go for walks on a leash. It's important to use harness-like leashes with cats because they can easily escape from normal collar-type leashes. And you have to be patient too... walking a cat is not at all like walking a dog. They stay in one spot observing for while, then they move a bit, then they stop, then they jump and stop for another while... :lol:, so you just have to stop and observe with the cat.

It wasn't that hard with Spirit, actually, it's got to the point now that he understands what the leash means (a walk outside) and is happy to go. I think I'll do this for a while more until he is more familiar with the surroundings and sees the dogs so that he know they are there. Or until I make up my mind on whether to let him go on his own or not.

Here's Spirit on his leash when he was a small kitten still. He's a lot bigger now that he's almost 1 year old! :-)
Yes, near my job there was a woman who walked her cat with a leash several times a day just like a dog and in a town. It was strange to see the first time! Maybe if you have the place to make some big enclosure, it could be another compromise.

We have friends with 3 cats in St. Petersburg. So one of them really likes to walk on a leash.
And the neighbors in the village were afraid for a long time to let their pet cat walk around the site. At first they also used a leash, and then they bought a GPS collar to make it easier to find. But the cat, in fact, never left the site. Boys, of course, can be more active and inquisitive, especially if they are not sterilized.
As for dogs, I'm not an expert for sure! The best way is to introduce the dog to the cat.
Snowball on the street was often hiding from the neighbors' dogs, a normal instinct. But at home on his territory, when he met the dog, he always sat rooted to the spot with a contemptuous look. With one neighbor's dog, they had a tacit agreement - ignoring each other.
I think everything is individual and it is difficult to predict whether it will turn out to live peacefully for a cat and a dog or not.

Are you allowed to put a fence up? You could pick a large area that has some trees (though not near the fence) and put a fence around it. See here for some more information. In the enclosure, you can think about adding some cat houses. This guy on YouTube has made a fenced outdoor area as well as an indoor area for his kitties (you can see how it looks like in some scenes in this video for example - funnily enough, the video is about another kitty (not his) who found a hole in his fence and visits his outdoor area to hang out with his best friend - just too cute!).
Yeah, it's a risk. Especially if there are roads nearby. Personally, I wouldn't do it (anymore) and either create a fenced area (which would be my personal preferred option if it'd be possible) or walk him with a leash on or tie a leash to something and make the leash very long, though I'd make sure there's no way to escape, because they can be quite the escape artists. I do understand what you're saying though, they are adventurous, some more than others! And I'm sure sweet Spirit will be happy with any decision you'll make.

At first they also used a leash, and then they bought a GPS collar to make it easier to find.
When we put a GPS collar on our kitty, he lost it at some point. We got another one, and he lost that one, too. It can be helpful though when it comes to wanting to know the areas they go to.

Back
Top Bottom