NSA Leaks, Edward Snowden: Genuine whistleblower or psy-op?

Re: Prism - Or do you really want to keep your Google Mail and Facebook

anart said:
I think it's important for people to consider the idea that nothing is leaked about the NSA (or any intelligence organization) without the knowledge and approval of said organization. We found out about the surveillance because they wanted us to find out about the surveillance - the 'outrage' by the establishment is all theater. It's always been this way and I, personally, think it always will. Try not to fall for the idea that Snowden is a 'hero' - he's almost certainly just doing his job.

Yes, I guess, now more and more details emerge:

Education: He did not complete high school. He told The Guardian that he studied computers at a community college and obtained a general equivalency degree. A spokesman for Anne Arundel Community College confirmed that a student with the same name and birth date took classes there, from 1999 to 2001 and again in 2004 and 2005.

Military service: He spent four months in the Army reserves, from May to September 2004 as a special forces recruit to a 14-week training course, the Army said. "He did not complete any training or receive any awards," an Army statement said. No other details were given, but Snowden told The Guardian he was discharged after breaking his legs in an accident.

Government work: His first job with the National Security Agency was as a security guard, and the next stop was an information-technology job with the CIA, which stationed him in Geneva in 2007, he claimed. He said he left the CIA in 2009 to work for private contractors, including Dell and Booz Allen. Through his job with Booz Allen, he was assigned to NSA offices in Japan and, more recently, Hawaii. Booz Allen said he has been an employee for about three months. He told reporters he made about $200,000 a year.

How could a guy like this get a top security clearance? :huh:
EDIT: Just saw that Don Genaro's article carries all this info already.

M.T.

Anart, I totally agree!

anart said:
I think it's important for people to consider the idea that nothing is leaked about the NSA (or any intelligence organization) without the knowledge and approval of said organization. We found out about the surveillance because they wanted us to find out about the surveillance - the 'outrage' by the establishment is all theater. It's always been this way and I, personally, think it always will. Try not to fall for the idea that Snowden is a 'hero' - he's almost certainly just doing his job.

anart said:
I think it's important for people to consider the idea that nothing is leaked about the NSA (or any intelligence organization) without the knowledge and approval of said organization. ..... Try not to fall for the idea that Snowden is a 'hero' - he's almost certainly just doing his job.

Nothing is ever as it seems. After watching the interview of Snowden on SOTT, I have to say I believed him! But did find some of his mannerisms a bit off and thought the mirror in the background (showing the back of Snowden's head) was odd. Thanks for pointing this out Anart, because you are absolutely correct, nothing happens unless it is planned!

Lilou said:
anart said:
I think it's important for people to consider the idea that nothing is leaked about the NSA (or any intelligence organization) without the knowledge and approval of said organization. ..... Try not to fall for the idea that Snowden is a 'hero' - he's almost certainly just doing his job.

Nothing is ever as it seems. After watching the interview of Snowden on SOTT, I have to say I believed him! But did find some of his mannerisms a bit off and thought the mirror in the background (showing the back of Snowden's head) was odd. Thanks for pointing this out Anart, because you are absolutely correct, nothing happens unless it is planned!

Well, all I know for sure is what has been true in the past regarding intelligence agencies and that the amount of control they have over what is and is not released is mind boggling - to me at least. This is what these people DO after all, so I just think it's really important to keep in mind that we're all likely being played - again - since these things are usually (if not always) very tightly controlled and managed. Of course, I could be wrong, but I just think it's an important probability to keep in mind considering all the facts on the table. fwiw.

HowToBe said:
FWIW, I'm reminded of the story that a vampire cannot enter your home until you invite him in.

Yes! The session I meant before was this:

l apprenti de forgeron said:
And this guy, Edward Snowden, looks like he has retired well paid.

Where did you get that?

M.T.

I said that thinking in something similar to what said Anart and the "quick bio" that you quoted. (I should have made ​​explicit the data that i was reading, as it was not obvious as I thought. Sorry Minas Tirith).

M first reaction about Snowden was considered a hero but then kept reading and started to doubt. Everything is suspect and it's still early to draw conclusions.

It is interesting that this explode during the military trial of Manning. Also what exactly Chinese will do in shortly.

It is striking to read in various newspapers fights over who is "less fascist" between China and U.S., when both are the same: elites pathocratic struggles for control of the planet, and ordinary people in the middle of all this.
Probably soon they will make a complaint of rape against Snowden and he finished locked at the Embassy of Ecuador in China. The reality surpasses Orwell!

anart said:

Assange praises 'hero' as NSA whistleblower told to leave Hong Kong hideaway

'nuff said.

Perceval said:
anart said:

Assange praises 'hero' as NSA whistleblower told to leave Hong Kong hideaway

'nuff said.

[quote author=COINTELPRO]
It's OK, you can go back to your games, series and movies, these guys are making sure The Revolution happens just the way w.. I mean you, expect it to. YOLO!
[/quote]

I said that thinking in something similar to what said Anart and the "quick bio" that you quoted. (I should have made ​​explicit the data that i was reading, as it was not obvious as I thought. Sorry Minas Tirith).

No worries. Your comment prompted me to read all the interviews more closely ... and then Anart posted ...

M first reaction about Snowden was considered a hero,

Same here.

M.T.

Don Genaro said:
Interesting - just after I read this, I saw this article crop up on Facebook...
_http://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2013/06/10/nsa-leaker-are-there-serious-cracks-in-ed-snowdens-story/

Some good comments on that article:
If they can get this all out in the open, and then “get beyond it”, then it is all old news and it’s over.

I think that is the reason the “Mainstream” is hooked into this, it is a ploy – one set to ‘slow burn’…the “outrage” is being managed quite well, you may have noticed.

Let’s face it, a Noble Peace Prize “president’ who is a warmonger has gone ‘unnoticed’ by these stupid Merkans for 4 and a half years. Amerika is braindead – the elite can count on it…and this will prove it.
I agree, The ‘Guardian’ would never print something this sensitive without U.S. approval,which means also U.K. approval.

Since the sixties anything deemed ‘delicate’ has always been vetted by a ‘D notice’ officer,usually someone of Rear Admiral rank.

NOTHING like this ever gets printed here unless the government approves it!

My understanding of the Guardian is that the bulk of its advertising revenue comes from public services and Gov job adverts, so think it probable they would require approval.

And from Greg:
The profound mediocrity of this guys resume is what’s throwing you off Jon. That’s the trick, these diabolical programs are likely the most mundane part of the infrastructure of techno-fascism arrayed against the populations of the planet. It’s the psy-op to get us to believe that they can track/listen/document/etc. everything in every direction in real time in perpetuity. I don’t doubt that they can in some respects, but it’s the debauching of the legal system that allows for future fishing expeditions terrorizing the public that we’re not supposed to pay attention to. Fight on!

If the leak is intentional, which seems quite likely, One motive could be to actually pretend they can do something useful with all the data they're collecting. There are countless examples of Government using private contractors for large IT projects and they end up overspending, getting ripped off and failing to deliver a functioning system. I don't think this is any different. Quite an effective use of a few crappy PowerPoint slides into scaring everyone. I could be completely wrong of course :)

I was reading the morning Guardian and find the story-line more and more hilarious. :D

Underdog spy on the run, first hiding in a plushy luxury hotel in Hong-Kong, conveniently located next to a CIA post. Would have been great movie material in the 20s. Black and white, agents with hats chasing each other through a maze of brass elevators and lush potted palms. An attractive "acrobatic pole dancer" aka stripper? girlfriend providing the necessary hot chick sexy element. Of course throughout the movie you don't know if the guy is really "good" or "bad" ...

If they can get this all out in the open, and then “get beyond it”, then it is all old news and it’s over.

I think that is the reason the “Mainstream” is hooked into this, it is a ploy – one set to ‘slow burn’…the “outrage” is being managed quite well, you may have noticed.

Only a fraction really cares anyway ...

Give people circus and bread - and you can do anything :(

M.T.

Minas Tirith said:
I was reading the morning Guardian and find the story-line more and more hilarious. :D

Underdog spy on the run, first hiding in a plushy luxury hotel in Hong-Kong, conveniently located next to a CIA post. Would have been great movie material in the 20s. Black and white, agents with hats chasing each other through a maze of brass elevators and lush potted palms. An attractive "acrobatic pole dancer" aka stripper? girlfriend providing the necessary hot chick sexy element. Of course throughout the movie you don't know if the guy is really "good" or "bad" ...

Sounds a lot like Assange when he first went "on the run"

FWIW (since we can't believe these polls are accurate, but then again, given the state of the world right now, maybe it IS accurate):

Most Americans back NSA tracking phone records, prioritize probes over privacy

“Fully 45 percent of all Americans say the government should be able to go further than it is...”

A large majority of Americans say the federal government should focus on investigating possible terrorist threats even if personal privacy is compromised, and most support the blanket tracking of telephone records in an effort to uncover terrorist activity, according to a new Washington Post-Pew Research Center poll.

Fully 45 percent of all Americans say the government should be able to go further than it is, saying that it should be able to monitor everyone’s online activity if doing so would prevent terrorist attacks. A slender majority, 52 percent, say no such broad-based monitoring should occur.

More:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/most-americans-support-nsa-tracking-phone-records-prioritize-investigations-over-privacy/2013/06/10/51e721d6-d204-11e2-9f1a-1a7cdee20287_story.html

The guy is probably honest, but the papers in which his story was published point toward the psyops nature of the operstion - i.e. if you know who the spy is then you control what your enemy learns. The best quote I saw was, "after all, what use is Big Brother if [very few] know he exists?".

Very insightful article whereb this quote comes from:
http://www.straightlinelogic.com/straightlinelogic/June_10,_2013.html

I don't doubt for a second that the NSA has every single capability alleged. Actually, in early 2010, with very superficial knowledge of programming, datamining and network analysis, I understood and argued on Slashdot how a semantic analysis of rhethorical style and lexical field of every single digital communication element, text or voice - as well as internet browsing patterns, etc could be used to track individuals in a alias-independent, node-centric analysis that would underline factors such as social influence and ideological hostility for every unique user.

This would serve to compute any given subject's subversion rating, allowing personalized attention to be assigned and even for proficient psychanalysts to map out potential dialectical narratives of personal growth as well as factors that could influence that dialectical growth one way or another. And of course, if computational power were not sufficient yet, such things could later on be retroactively computed from data archived since at least the late 90's.

If I, a decently educated geek but with no specific focus either on computer science, surveillance or cryptoanalysis could spot that potential, even as I barely came out of a youth focused on gaming, there's no way that experts weren't working on it since at least the early 80's. That realization made me become much more comfortable and true to myself, since knowing that I had tagged myself with my online behaviour since my early teens allowed me to drop all fear and simply follow my ideals.

The logic was that they already know all the need to, so I might just as well make the most of this incredible tool while it is still available and supercomputers aren't yet able of nightmarish stuff such as real-time semantic analysis of all contributed content or, even worse, real-time sharding of the net populated withcontent fine-tuned according to the previously established personality profile of each content consumer (a process currently being fine-tuned through social network models such as facebook and G+).

So why this longish rant? If I could see this without any training in the matter, no way the NSA didn't see it coming. Hence this has to be a controlled leak, which must be meant to plant the reality of Big Brother in the collective psyche, as an obvious method to get most internet users to self-censure and hence reduce the spread of subversive discussion and induce a further bias in public discourse so that those who talk about real issues stand out like a sore thumb. That'll make the job easier for the semantic algorithms which, as far as I can guess, are not very powerful yet or else this place and similar ones would not exist.

Yeah, well, I don't know. I, too, first considered Edward Snowden as a brave fella, and thanks to Anart, I remembered that no matter how paranoid you are regarding three-letters agencies, the truth is most often far worst.

So, now that the NSA did their Wizard of Oz trick, what should we do ? Considering the links we're posting everyday on FB and G+ regarding the true state of our world, we're most certainly all already flagged as annoyance/problem/terrorist. By quitting FB and other social networks, we'll just prevent our contacts to have access to objective informations. So, we should probably just keep doing what we were doing, and this new scandal is yet another opportunity to point out the obvious manipulations and the MO of the PTB.

Still, I can't stop but think about the attempt to link the Boston bombing to the 911 truth movements. This, PRISM, their ability to close any domain name at will, it might be purely 3D thinking but I'm worried that, at some point, we'll not be able to communicate with each other. Centralised social networks such as Worldtruth.org aren't a solution either. Is it a waste of time to start to think about a way to ensure that we'll be able to share informations and communicate in a decentralized, secured way ?

Back
Top Bottom