Nuclear Radiation Detox

I'll try to condense a post in the next few days. If you guys keep gathering stuff, that will be of enormous help. The usual detox tips applies: sulfur (DMSO, DMSA), glutathione sources (NAC, ALA), green stuff (spirulina, algae, chlorella, mercury free!!! I trust the guys from the article we carried for the DCM magazine, Nature Stream. Their spirulina comes from India and is certified mercury free).

Sulfur is considered as an anti-dote for radiation poisoning! Don't underestimate the power of DMSO.

This Friday, Mark Sircus and yours truly will be on Michael Edward's show to discuss these things. I'm sure Mark will talk about iodine and I'm looking forward to hear about his experience:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/wvp/2011/03/18/gulf-blue-plague-update

I did a quick search on detox for veterans exposed to radioactivity and it seems our detox protocol is essential: FAR saunas, diet, supplements, etc.

There are also clays that are inexpensive. Perhaps we can pull out this info into this thread.

Here's some more on Zeolite and Bentonite clays for radiation detox.

All nuclear waste is mixed with Zeolite clay before packaging and stored underground because it helps prevent radioactivity from seeping into the ground after prolonged storage. Surprisingly, the Zeolites are stable even under the highest levels of radiation, a fact proven after the fissions reactor meltdowns at both Three Mile Island and Chernobyl where Zeolites were used to mop up the waste caused by the accidents.

The British Nuclear Fuels (BNF) also uses a specific type of Zeolite clay to remove radioactive strontium and cesium - 137 and, therefore, reduces the radioactivity of liquid waste discharged into the Irish Sea. The Hanford, Washington nuclear weapons facilities are lined with clay to prevent contamination.

A Swedish study showed another kind of Zeolite could decontaminate live animals and meat affected by the Chemobyl disaster.

Most people know about the dietary or edible clays (Bentonite, Kaolin, Red Clay (Morocco), Fuller’s Earth, French Green clay, Montmorillonite, etc.) and in particular Bentonite clay, which is often part of colonic detoxification regimes because it can absorb heavy metals and contaminants in the intestines.

There are over 200 different types of Bentonite clay, and the problem with many of these Bentonites is that they have extremely high aluminum content. So you don’t want to be ingesting the clay without knowing what is in it. Years ago the same problem existed with various colloidal mineral solutions in that they were choked full of alumina and heavy metals that people were ingesting. Some Bentonite clays are composed of 65-75% aluminum!

Putting that particular concern aside, the composition of the Bentonite clay particles creates a large surface area in proportion to the volume of the clay and the greater the surface area, the greater its power to pick up positively charged particles or toxins (including heavy metals) and to suck them out of the body.

I’m told that Russian scientists used Bentonite clay to protect their bodies from radiation when working with nuclear materials. What I heard is ingenious. They would first coat their hands and bodies with hydrated Bentonite mush mixture before donning radiation suits, and presumably the clay would help trap and stray radiation particles. Afterwards they would just wash it off.

Bentonite absorbs radiation after chemnobyl in other countries was so great that livestock kept out in some areas were deemed not eatable at the radiation level. By feeding the cattle Bentonite for some time before “harvesting,” farmers were able to get the level down to normal and acceptable levels.

U.S. Army studies also show that Bentonite may be a successful treatment for exposure to chemical warfare and one Army emergency livestock protocol calls for immediate administration for Bentonite internally to counter effects of radiation poisoning in livestock.

As a side comment, I have also seen recipes for dogs and cats composed of water, aloe vera juice, powdered dulse or kelp, Brewer’s yeast, apple cider, ground rosemary and vitamin E that are recommended as a radiation detox cocktail, too.

Bentonite will bind and take out a great number of nasty stuff from anything living, but you have to be careful about using clays for baths or internal consumption that have a high aluminum content.

LL’s Magnetic Clay Baths has a superior Environmental Detox Bath, composed of Bentonite clay with very trace amounts of aluminum content and are used for heavy metal detox and also to remove radiation. As with all clays, the more you use, the quicker you tend to detox. The Environmental Detox Bath is another possibility for heavy metal detoxification that is stronger than Zeo-Rad Bath, and is usually taken just once a week.

Internal clays have been used for a detoxification supplement for hundreds of years to remove disease symptoms. It has the ability to remove toxic metals and chemical residues, bacteria, and blood toxins with virtually no side effects of constipation, diarrhea, or stomach cramping and is also known to remove radiation, arsenic, lead, mercury, and aluminum amid other toxic metals in less than six weeks.

It’s said that after the meltdown of the Chemobyl Soviet nuclear power plant in 1986, the Soviet Union put French Green clay in chocolate bars and dispensed them freely to the masses to remove radiation they may have been exposed to.

Whether it was truly French Green clay or Zeolite or Bentonite clay I cannot confirm, but the point is that clay ban be consumed for internal detoxification of radioactive particles because it tends to trap the particles in the gut, which is what has been known to do for centuries.

anart said:
This is important as well - http://www.sott.net/articles/show/225895-DMSO-The-Antidote-for-Radiation-Poisoning

Thank you!

For new readers of this thread, this post is on DMSO. The full article is hosted on SoTT.

DMSO: The Antidote for Radiation Poisoning, by Gabriela Segura, M.D.

Radiation produces free-radicals ("inflammatory molecules") that damage cells that make up tissues such as organs, glands, muscles, and bones. Besides causing the cells to age more quickly they also become distorted, or mutated, creating cancers such as leukemia, anemia, birth defects, and other diseases.

Sulfur has a long history of use as an antidote for acute exposure to radioactive material. DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) is the classical sulfur compound. A Japanese study showed that even low concentrations of DMSO had radio-protective effects through the facilitation of DNA double-strand break repair, providing protection against radiation damage at all cellular levels in the whole body.

Remember that boosting your body's detox capabilities and overall anti-oxidants levels is a key to survive in these stressful times. Being on a detox diet is crucial to regain health in a toxic environment. Our extensive experience and research shows that those on a no grain/low carb (no gluten) and non dairy diet fare MUCH better.

It is among the most potent free radical scavengers known to man, if not the most potent one.

In 1866, Russian scientist Alexander Saytzeff isolated a most curious and peculiar chemical compound. It was crystalline, odor-less, non-toxic and had a garlic-like taste when consumed. At the time, Saytzeff had no way to predict that his discovery was going to prove highly controversial throughout its entire medical history, that it was going to be tested in thousands of studies, providing miraculous relief in numerous patients.

I'm talking here about dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO), an organic sulfur compound which was used only as an industrial solvent, that is, until its medical properties were discovered in 1963 by a research team headed by Stanley W. Jacob, MD.

DMSO is a by-product of kraft pulping (the "sulfate process") which converts wood into wood pulp consisting of almost pure cellulose fibers. As industrial as it may sound, the process simply entails a treatment of wood chips with a mixture of sodium hydroxide and sodium sulfide, known as white liquor, breaking the bonds which link lignin (from the Latin word lignum, meaning wood) to the cellulose.

DMSO is useful as a pain reliever, in burns, acne, arthritis, mental retardation, strokes, amyloidosis, head injury, scleroderma, it soothes toothaches, eases headaches, hemorroids, muscle strains, it prevents paralysis from spinal-chord injuries, it softens scar tissues. In fact, it is useful in well over 300 ailments and it is safe to use. You would think that a compound that has so many alleged uses and benefits will be automatically suspect, but careful examination of its properties and the data available will shed some light in this miraculous chemical.
[...]
Quick Guide and Ailments

DMSO is generally applied to the skin in a gel, cream, or liquid. It can be taken by mouth or as an intravenous injection, in many cases along with other drugs. It has also been administered subcutaneously, intramuscularly, intraperitoneally, intrathecally, by inhalation, instilled into the eye, on the mucous membranes, and into the urinary bladder. Strenghs and dosages vary widely.
If you are just dealing with pain or an injury, use a topical application. Don't drink it. Drinking it is for serious detoxing and other internal necessities. If you use a rose scented DMSO cream, chances are that nobody will be able to smell DMSO's garlic-like smell.

The usual oral dose of DMSO is one teaspoon per day of DMSO 70% (Morton, 1993). But since it can trigger detoxification reactions and DMSO's total excretion from the body can take several days, it is best to do it only once a week. Start with half a teaspoon of DMSO 50% and increase to a teaspoon of DMSO 70% only if any possible detoxification reaction is well tolerated.

When you use liquid DMSO in the skin, let it dry for over 20 to 30 minutes before wiping the rest out. The skin must be clean, dry, and unbroken for any topical use of DMSO. The face and the neck are more sensitive to DMSO and no higher concenrations than 50% should be applied there. Topical concentrations of DMSO should be kept below 70% in areas where there is a reduction of circulation. When 60 to 90% DMSO is applied to the skin, warmth, redness, itching, and somtimes local hives may occur. This usually disappears within a couple of hours and using natural aloe vera, gel or cream, will help counteract or prevent this effect. When 60 to 90% DMSO is applied to the palm on the hand, the skin may wrinkle and stay that way for several days.

For more info on DMSO, read the rest of the article on SoTT.

This video comes from one of our favorite researchers:

Mitigating Japanese Nuclear Radiation Exposure Toxicity
http://www.sott.net/articles/show/225930-Mitigating-Japanese-Nuclear-Radiation-Exposure-Toxicity

You all will remember Sayer Ji from his articles on gluten intolerance:

The Dark Side of Wheat - New Perspectives on Celiac Disease and Wheat Intolerance
Opening Pandora's Bread Box: The Critical Role of Wheat Lectin in Human Disease

he Dark Side of Wheat - New Perspectives on Celiac Disease and Wheat Intolerance

Is anyone in this forum taking iodine on a daily basis? Anyone has had bad experiences with it? We have an entire thread on iodine in the forum, so maybe some of you have invaluable experience to share.

I know some people with autoimmune thyroid problems who had reported some trouble with iodine supplements. Not unusual considering this:

http://drknews.com/some-studies-on-io...dine-and-autoimmune-thyroid-disease/

Although adequate iodine consumption is important for thyroid hormone production and iodine deficiency is the most common cause of hypothyroidism worldwide, its supplemental use in autoimmune thyroids is contraindicated. Iodine is the major cofactor and stimulator for thyroid peroxidase (TPO). TPO is the enzyme that is under attack with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. It appears that increased iodine intake, especially as a supplement, increases the immune attack on the thyroid.(1) The extreme of this clinical expression is called the Jod-Basedow Phenomenon.(2) This phenomenon is portrayed as individuals who are iodine-deficient in conjunction with elevated thyroid antibodies. When these individuals are given exogenous iodine supplements they develop a hyperfunction autoimmune response. Although this phenomenon does take place in clinical practice at times, iodine supplementation with autoimmune thyroids does not always lead into thyroid hyperfunction. Rather one observes increased levels of TPO autoantibody levels that multiply dramatically with iodine supplements, and in many instances increased production of thyroid overactive symptoms.[...]

Psyche said:
Is anyone in this forum taking iodine on a daily basis?
Yes, for more than a year I have been mixing KI with my Kool-Aid, roughly 1mg KI to one fluid ounce water. Most days I probably consume 10mg to 30mg.

Anyone has had bad experiences with it?
No, no bad experience at all.

Psyche said:
Is anyone in this forum taking iodine on a daily basis? Anyone has had bad experiences with it? We have an entire thread on iodine in the forum, so maybe some of you have invaluable experience to share.

I know some people with autoimmune thyroid problems who had reported some trouble with iodine supplements. Not unusual considering this:

The Healthy Sceptic Chris Kresser wrote an article about this in the summer.

[quote author=http://thehealthyskeptic.org/iodine-for-hypothyroidism-like-gasoline-on-a-fire]
The fantasy of both conventional and alternative healthcare practitioners is finding a single nutrient to treat hypothyroidism. For doctors, this is thyroid hormone. For alternative practitioners, it is iodine.

In the previous article I showed why, when used alone, thyroid hormone replacement often fails. In this post I’ll explain why iodine may not only be ineffective, but also cause harm.

Iodine deficiency is the most common cause of hypothyroidism worldwide. Once researchers realized this, health authorities around the world began adding iodine to table salt.

This strategy was effective in correcting iodine deficiency. But it had an unanticipated – and undesired – effect. In countries where iodine has been added to table salt, the rates of autoimmune thyroid disease have risen. The following is just a sample of studies around the world demonstrating this effect:

Sri Lanka
Turkey
Brazil
China
Greece
Azerbaijan
Why does this happen? Because increased iodine intake, especially in supplement form, increases the autoimmune attack on the thyroid.

Iodine increases the activity of an enzyme called thyroid peroxidase (TPO). In Hashimoto’s disease, TPO is the target of the immune system’s attack. Therefore, excess iodine will worsen the autoimmune response.

The extreme of this expression is called the Jod-Basedow Phenomenon. It occurs in people who are iodine deficient with elevated thyroid antibodies. When they are given supplemental iodine they develop hyperthyroid symptoms.

Only a minority of Hashimoto’s patients will develop overt hyperthyroid symptoms as a result of taking iodine. Most will have no symptoms, but tests will indicate elevated levels of TPO antibodies, suggesting an autoimmune flare-up.

On the other hand, restricting intake of iodine can reverse hypothyroidism. In one study, 78% of patients with Hashimoto’s regained normal thyroid function with iodine restriction alone.

All of this might seem confusing to people with hypothyroidism who’ve been told their condition is caused by iodine deficiency. In the U.S., however, the most common cause of hypothyroidism is not iodine deficiency, but Hashimoto’s.

The conclusion I draw from this evidence is patients with autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto’s and Graves’) should not be taking iodine supplements. Since 9 in 10 people with hypothyroidism have Hashimoto’s, it’s safe to say this advice applies to the vast majority of hypothyroid patients.

I am less certain about whether iodine in food must be restricted. Foods rich in iodine, like seafood, are also rich in other essential nutrients – such as selenium and vitamin D. One dietary recommendation I can make with certainty is to use non-iodized sea salt instead of iodized salt.

The use of iodine in the treatment of thyroid disease is a controversial subject. I’m sure some readers will post comments directing me to the work of Dr. Abraham and Dr. Brownstein, both of whom have successfully treated hypothyroid patients with iodine.

I’ve read Dr. Brownstein’s book and some of Dr. Abraham’s writings, and I respect their clinical experience. But when weighed against what we know about thyroid biochemistry and physiology, and the evidence presented above linking excess iodine to autoimmune thyroid disease, I believe the argument for not using iodine with Hashimoto’s is stronger than the argument for using it.

Dr. Datis Kharrazian, author of Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms When My Lab Test Are Normal?, has written extensively about the dangers of giving iodine to patients with Hashimoto’s disease. See this recent post on his blog for a summary of research supporting his view. (If you have a thyroid condition, do yourself a favor and buy his book. It’s the best on this topic by far.)

Finally, it’s worth pointing out that for the 10% of people who have hypothyroidism caused by iodine deficiency, supplemental iodine is both necessary and effective. How do you know you’re in this group? You get your thyroid antibodies (TPO & TG) tested. If the results are positive, you have Hashimoto’s. If the results are negative, however, you need to be tested at least once more to rule out Hashimoto’s. Antibody levels fluctuate and it’s possible to get a “false negative” result if you only have a single test.

Also keep in mind that a minority of patients with Hashimoto’s confirmed by biopsy (the gold standard) never test positive for thyroid antibodies. This is probably because their immune systems are so depressed they can no longer produce antibodies. If you have a combination of hyper- and hypothyroid symptoms, I would still suspect Hashimoto’s even if your thyroid antibody tests are normal.[/quote]

See original article for links to sources.

Psyche said:

For the past several months I have been adding several drops of 2% Lugols to a morning Vit C drink. Lately I've cut back and use nascent Iodine 2%. No probs at all.

LQB said:
Psyche said:

For the past several months I have been adding several drops of 2% Lugols to a morning Vit C drink. Lately I've cut back and use nascent Iodine 2%. No probs at all.

Judging from the Chris Kresser article (above) iodine supplementation should only be a problem if you have Hashimoto's, an autoimmune disorder where the body attacks thyroid tissue. However, if you do have thyroid symptoms, it's probably a good idea to find out if it's Hashimoto's or iodine deficiency (see article above). Considering that, according to Kresser, only 10% of thyroid issues are caused by iodine deficiency, leaving 90% caused by Hashimoto's, supplementing with iodine at the first sign of thyroid symptoms (or in an attempt to stave off uptake of radioactive iodine) would probably be unwise.

If you have no sign of thyroid issues, I can't see supplementing with iodine being a problem. I wonder how many of the reports of negative impact on the thyroid from iodine supplementation are the result of people with undiagnosed Hashimoto's disease...

Just my 2 cents, all based on what Kresser has said, so FWIW.

dugdeep said:
LQB said:
Psyche said:

Judging from the Chris Kresser article (above) iodine supplementation should only be a problem if you have Hashimoto's, an autoimmune disorder where the body attacks thyroid tissue. However, if you do have thyroid symptoms, it's probably a good idea to find out if it's Hashimoto's or iodine deficiency (see article above). Considering that, according to Kresser, only 10% of thyroid issues are caused by iodine deficiency, leaving 90% caused by Hashimoto's, supplementing with iodine at the first sign of thyroid symptoms (or in an attempt to stave off uptake of radioactive iodine) would probably be unwise.

If you have no sign of thyroid issues, I can't see supplementing with iodine being a problem. I wonder how many of the reports of negative impact on the thyroid from iodine supplementation are the result of people with undiagnosed Hashimoto's disease...

Just my 2 cents, all based on what Kresser has said, so FWIW.

Makes sense to me. I have read numerous anecdotes from folk taking multiple drops daily of Lugols where they feel much better and energetic. The only thing that I have noticed is that my eyesight seems to be improving (near sighted astigmatism). But this may have nothing to do with the iodine.

I have a friend in Japan who just moved from Tokyo to Osaka because of the radiation threat, and I have a question: His family is currently taking iodine, but his youngest daughter who just turned 2 is too young for this, so they are feeding her seaweed and Kombu instead. I gave him a list of the other recommended supplements from Dr. Segura's recent article on SOTT, but am wondering what the appropriate dosage of DMSO would be for a 2-year-old (if they are able to get ahold of it). Thanks in advance for any input on this.

curious_richard said:
Yes, for more than a year I have been mixing KI with my Kool-Aid, roughly 1mg KI to one fluid ounce water. Most days I probably consume 10mg to 30mg.

Why are you drinking Kool-Aid? That stuff is evil!

Shijing said:
I have a friend in Japan who just moved from Tokyo to Osaka because of the radiation threat, and I have a question: His family is currently taking iodine, but his youngest daughter who just turned 2 is too young for this, so they are feeding her seaweed and Kombu instead. I gave him a list of the other recommended supplements from Dr. Segura's recent article on SOTT, but am wondering what the appropriate dosage of DMSO would be for a 2-year-old (if they are able to get ahold of it). Thanks in advance for any input on this.

According to the FDA, the following doses of Potassium Iodide are appropriate to take after internal contamination with (or likely internal contamination with) radioactive iodine:

* Adults should take 130 mg (one 130 mg tablet OR two 65 mg tablets OR two mL of solution).
* Women who are breastfeeding should take the adult dose of 130 mg.
* Children between 3 and 18 years of age should take 65 mg (one 65 mg tablet OR 1 mL of solution). Children who are adult size (greater than or equal to 150 pounds) should take the full adult dose, regardless of their age.
* Infants and children between 1 month and 3 years of age should take 32 mg (½ of a 65 mg tablet OR ½ mL of solution). This dose is for both nursing and non-nursing infants and children.
* Newborns from birth to 1 month of age should be given 16 mg (¼ of a 65 mg tablet or ¼ mL of solution). This dose is for both nursing and non-nursing newborn infants.

For the DMSO, use a 50% dilution for topical use or a rosehip cream for less skin irritation (the orange label one) and she can be protected if used topically.

See if they can get pectin (vitapect) or a good spirulina, so she can take it for a long period of time (at least 1 month), because babies and kids are most susceptible and need to neutralize the radioactive material ASAP. And it really does work!

Make sure she reads the dietary recommendations from the article, pectin is a complex carbohydrate that can be found in apples. Processing food is of utmost importance: boiling, salting, pickling, and so forth. All measures to be taken as a new lifestyle. She has to understand that her kid is very vulnerable now, much more than them as adults. And that she needs to make sure she will be taking the necessary supplements and foods to help minimize or eliminate concentrated radioactive material in the body.

If she must take DMSO in an oral solution, I would recommend a 20% solution and plenty of water.

Psyche said:
According to the FDA, the following doses of Potassium Iodide are appropriate to take after internal contamination with (or likely internal contamination with) radioactive iodine:...
Is that a one-time dose recommendation? I seem to remember reading that somewhere earlier in the forum. Also, can infants receive excessive iodide just from eating seaweed? I have some form of sea vegetable almost every morning in my breakfast and I know it contains a lot.

Back
Top Bottom