Ocular health

Re: Red eye

Oxajil said:
Isn't it rude though if I tell him that I may need another opthalmologist?

Fwiw, I don't think it's rude. You need to find a solution to this eventually and if this doctor isn't helping, then he's not helping... I think getting a picture to LissyLou somehow would be a good way to go, she seems to be pretty knowledgeable about the possibilities of what you're dealing with...

JonnyRadar said:
Oxajil said:
Isn't it rude though if I tell him that I may need another opthalmologist?

Fwiw, I don't think it's rude. You need to find a solution to this eventually and if this doctor isn't helping, then he's not helping... I think getting a picture to LissyLou somehow would be a good way to go, she seems to be pretty knowledgeable about the possibilities of what you're dealing with...

I agree. Will do!
Thanks.

Hey oxajil

It isn’t rude if it’s about your health,

- Next to that

This is going on for quite a time. Still he is unable to set a correct diagnose. I don’t know if this is common. But it seems to me he is just giving you some medicine and see what happens. To me he looks rather clueless.

Edit: Yes he was guessing. It was very clear. In the beginning of all of this he asked me if there were any ''weird'' diseases in the family like rheumatism. And I replied by saying no. Then he asked me if I have cold sores now and then. Also no... (only that it does run in the family as my brother and mother have it) So then there was probably no reason for him to decide it's a virus, Herpes Simplex. Now that he saw that his anti-inflammation drugs don't entirely take the inflammation away he decided that it is a virus now. He also was nervously, kind of, looking something up in one of his books before he prescribed me this ointment. Sigh.

Jeezz Does he consider you as his experiment. Yeah like you said, I think he is also just guessing.

If you consider to switch over, I believe you only have to inform this to your local ‘huisarts’ not to doctors who work at a hospital. So he doesn’t have to know.

Thou I am not sure about that. Still mentioning it to him can come in handy so that he can send your medical record to the other hospital. But this is his diagnose. It can be all wrong. Maybe having a clean start can be better.

Actually I wouldn’t really know what to do, but going for another second opinion or actually your third opinion. I would try to get to a hospital which is really well know and specialized in this kind of cases.

Take care

Oxajil, It is not rude to seek a different opinion. If it is herpes simplex, he should have palpated the pre-auricular lymph nodes, noting any tenderness or swelling, did a quick test for
a de-sensitized cornea (done with a sterile cotton tip swab), and instilled fluoriscein dye in the eye and carefully studied the cornea for any staining and dendritic ulcer (they can be quite subtle). And even if he is guessing, steroid drops are contraindicated in Herpes Simplex, as this will increase the growth of the virus. Another side effect of long term steroid use is elevated eye pressure.

I would seek out a qualified opthalmologist. I am quite concerned. I would inform the new doctor of everything the previous fellow did. Including the tablet he gave you to lower your eye pressure on the first visit. How high was it? What is it now? Are there visible cells in the anterior chamber of the eye....my goodness....I am wondering how many doctors are literally "practicing" on people....with potential serious consequences. Probably more than I care to imagine.

Please take care.

Thank you bjorn for your concern. I really hope someone will figure out the cause of this and how to cure it the best way.

LissyLou said:
Oxajil, It is not rude to seek a different opinion. If it is herpes simplex, he should have palpated the pre-auricular lymph nodes, noting any tenderness or swelling, did a quick test for
a de-sensitized cornea (done with a sterile cotton tip swab), and instilled fluoriscein dye in the eye and carefully studied the cornea for any staining and dendritic ulcer (they can be quite subtle).

He did something with a cotton tip in my eye. And also dropped something in my eye. One of the times I went there he dropped something in my eyes and I heard him mumbling ''a bit too much'' or something. When I looked in a mirror I saw that my pupil was pretty large the whole day but went back to normal afterwards.

He also viewed my eye with some machine. Blue light and white light.

LissyLou said:
And even if he is guessing, steroid drops are contraindicated in Herpes Simplex, as this will increase the growth of the virus. Another side effect of long term steroid use is elevated eye pressure.

Wow, really? Well then I guess it's not a virus, because if a virus grows using steroids then it would have gone worse, because I've been using them for I think two weeks. My eyes wouldn't have cleared up. (Now it's all red again after using that anti-Herpes virus ointment.) Right?

Do you have any article that talks about the contraindicated effect on this virus when using steroid drops for a long time?

LissyLou said:
I would seek out a qualified opthalmologist. I am quite concerned. I would inform the new doctor of everything the previous fellow did. Including the tablet he gave you to lower your eye pressure on the first visit. How high was it? What is it now? Are there visible cells in the anterior chamber of the eye....my goodness....I am wondering how many doctors are literally "practicing" on people....with potential serious consequences. Probably more than I care to imagine.

Please take care.

I don't know, he just gave me tablet and said it's for the eye pressure. They don't tell me anything, :( Because they think ''Oh she won't understand anyway''. They just look in my eye, ask me questions and then prescribe me something. And when I ask questions they say that it's against eye pressure or it's to make the eye numb etc...

Thank you. I will take care... if I figure out how. Will search for a better eyedoc.

I'll make a picture today for what it's worth.

I just want to point out that Herpes Simplex in the eye should be treated with anti-virals (such as Viroptic or acyclovir drops,ointment or even oral tablets) and NOT steroids. However, Herpes Zoster in the eye, is treated with both the anti-virals and a steroid. Most everyone, at least 90% of the population, has been exposed and carry dormant in our nervous system, Zoster. Better known as the Varicella (Chicken Pox) virus. And if you haven’t been exposed, there is a new vaccine for chicken pox, to ensure you are! :scared:

I can in no way know Oxajil, what is exactly happening with your eye. I sincerely hope that your eye doc is knowledgable . If you arrived at his office with a “hot” eye. Very red, swollen and an elevated eye pressure. Lowering the pressure would be the first concern and of course, decreasing the inflammatory cells that caused the pressure to go up in the first place.

Because some people are “steroid responders”, using steroids to decrease the inflammation could cause a further rise in the already high eye pressure. If left unchecked, pain, headache, blurred vision and Angle Closure Glaucoma attack could occur. Very serious condition.

Once the immediate emergency is dealt with, he can then go searching for the cause of the inflammation. The following link has a very brief synopsis of causes of eye inflammation. I looked around this site a bit, and I’m not sure what they are selling, but this section seems spot on. _http://www.nativeremedies.com/ailment/eye-inflammation-symptoms.html#question2

What Causes Eye Inflammation?
Eye inflammations can be caused by a variety of factors, and sometimes it takes a professional diagnosis for insight into the source.
Common Causes of Eye Inflammations:
• Allergies: A fairly common cause of eye inflammation, allergies can cause persistent eye irritation. Allergic rhinitis triggered by pollen, seasonal changes, house dust-mites, molds or pets can often result in itchy and inflamed eyes.
• Bacterial and viral infections: The most common bacterial infection is conjunctivitis, a highy contagious viral infection also known as pink eye. Blepharitis, or chronic inflammation of the eyelid caused by infection, is also a common problem. Styes, or tiny painful infections that form in the oil glands around the eyelash, can also be a bothersome problem. Most commonly, these problems occur from improper contact lens wear, surgery, trauma, injury to the eye, or touching the eyes with unclean hands.
• Overuse of prescription and over the counter eye drops: Many people use eye drops to soothe mildly irritated eyes and prolonged use can cause a “rebound affect”. This is when your eyes become sore and irritated until you use the drops again, thus creating a kind of dependency on the eye drop affect.
• A deficiency of vitamin A: This may make you more susceptible to eye infections and other eye problems.
• Improper contact lens use: A common cause of inflammation or infection if hygienic measures are not taken or are worn past their intended period of use (allowing bacteria overgrowth). Hands should be washed before putting in and taking our contact lenses, the correct solution should be used and proper storage methods kept. Problems also occur when particles get trapped between the lens and the eye, causing irritation, or the lenses are worn too long.
• Illness and disease: Measles, herpes, and diabetes may cause eye inflammation. Sexually transmitted diseases are also easily spread to the eye area. Inflammatory conditions such as lupus, arthritis and irritable bowel syndrome can also be causes.
• Foreign matter or foreign substances: Dust, grit or plant-sap can get trapped under the eyelid, causing inflammation and discomfort.
• Cosmetics: Certain eye cosmetics can cause irritation, whether from personal sensitivity or if they have exceeded their expiration date.

I often use remedies for myself from the Edgar Cayce readings. I looked last night, and I did not find any specific readings from Cayce on eye inflammation . Cayce tends to focus on overall conditions – circulation, elimination, blockages in nerve impulses, flow of lymphatics, etc…

For some palliative measures to help your eye recover, cool compresses go a long way, if done consistently. Perhaps a castor oil pack (a favorite of mine to increase lymphatic flow) on the glands in your neck and around your ear. http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/dietarytherapy/a/CastorOilPack.htm If you are dealing with a virus, doing these things can certainly not hurt. The idea is to help the body restore balance.

For myself, I sometimes use a shortcut. I massage a thick layer of castor oil into the glands of my neck and simply nuke a wet towel, as hot as is comfortable to place on the skin. This is quicker and easier. You may have to reheat the towel if it cools too quickly.

Keep us posted Oxajil . Did you have your follow up appointment on Friday? It is possible your eye doc is doing what he should. I did not mean to imply too strongly that he might not. With all that has been happening, not only at the chateau, but in my own home lately, it took me a few days to give this some clear, concise thought. Please be well and take care.

Oxajil, I'm really sorry that you are going through such an ordeal, and really angry at doctors for treating you like a Guinea Pig! Geez...

LissyLou, you'll know much better, but could this be a case of blepharitis, or have started with it and developed into something worse? Oxajil's symptoms in the beginning made me think of it.

Here is a description of what blepharitis is, and how to treat it.

I've had it myself, and washing my eyes thoroughly with baby shampoo like Laura had suggested helped immediately.

Oxajil, you may want to eat only anti-inflammatory foods for a while. This will reduce the inflammation whatever the problem is. I notice that if I eat something inflammatory, I start having symptoms f blepharitis within 24hs. Since the detox diet, it hardly comes back.

Take care please, and I wish you a speedy recovery.

LissyLou said:
I just want to point out that Herpes Simplex in the eye should be treated with anti-virals (such as Viroptic or acyclovir drops,ointment or even oral tablets) and NOT steroids. However, Herpes Zoster in the eye, is treated with both the anti-virals and a steroid. Most everyone, at least 90% of the population, has been exposed and carry dormant in our nervous system, Zoster. Better known as the Varicella (Chicken Pox) virus. And if you haven’t been exposed, there is a new vaccine for chicken pox, to ensure you are! :scared:

They gave me anti-virals, ointment (aciclovir) and oral tablets (valaciclovir), I also need to use steroid drops and timoptol drops.
When I went there, he called in another eyedoctor to take a look as well. He also agreed that all the signs are pointing to a virus.
I'm not sure whether they think it's simplex or zoster. They did say that this is a rare condition...

LissyLou said:
I can in no way know Oxajil, what is exactly happening with your eye. I sincerely hope that your eye doc is knowledgable . If you arrived at his office with a “hot” eye. Very red, swollen and an elevated eye pressure. Lowering the pressure would be the first concern and of course, decreasing the inflammatory cells that caused the pressure to go up in the first place.

Because some people are “steroid responders”, using steroids to decrease the inflammation could cause a further rise in the already high eye pressure. If left unchecked, pain, headache, blurred vision and Angle Closure Glaucoma attack could occur. Very serious condition.

Once the immediate emergency is dealt with, he can then go searching for the cause of the inflammation. The following link has a very brief synopsis of causes of eye inflammation. I looked around this site a bit, and I’m not sure what they are selling, but this section seems spot on. _http://www.nativeremedies.com/ailment/eye-inflammation-symptoms.html#question2

What Causes Eye Inflammation?
Eye inflammations can be caused by a variety of factors, and sometimes it takes a professional diagnosis for insight into the source.
Common Causes of Eye Inflammations:
• Allergies: A fairly common cause of eye inflammation, allergies can cause persistent eye irritation. Allergic rhinitis triggered by pollen, seasonal changes, house dust-mites, molds or pets can often result in itchy and inflamed eyes.
• Bacterial and viral infections: The most common bacterial infection is conjunctivitis, a highy contagious viral infection also known as pink eye. Blepharitis, or chronic inflammation of the eyelid caused by infection, is also a common problem. Styes, or tiny painful infections that form in the oil glands around the eyelash, can also be a bothersome problem. Most commonly, these problems occur from improper contact lens wear, surgery, trauma, injury to the eye, or touching the eyes with unclean hands.
• Overuse of prescription and over the counter eye drops: Many people use eye drops to soothe mildly irritated eyes and prolonged use can cause a “rebound affect”. This is when your eyes become sore and irritated until you use the drops again, thus creating a kind of dependency on the eye drop affect.
• A deficiency of vitamin A: This may make you more susceptible to eye infections and other eye problems.
• Improper contact lens use: A common cause of inflammation or infection if hygienic measures are not taken or are worn past their intended period of use (allowing bacteria overgrowth). Hands should be washed before putting in and taking our contact lenses, the correct solution should be used and proper storage methods kept. Problems also occur when particles get trapped between the lens and the eye, causing irritation, or the lenses are worn too long.
• Illness and disease: Measles, herpes, and diabetes may cause eye inflammation. Sexually transmitted diseases are also easily spread to the eye area. Inflammatory conditions such as lupus, arthritis and irritable bowel syndrome can also be causes.
• Foreign matter or foreign substances: Dust, grit or plant-sap can get trapped under the eyelid, causing inflammation and discomfort.
• Cosmetics: Certain eye cosmetics can cause irritation, whether from personal sensitivity or if they have exceeded their expiration date.

Hmm this is interesting. I have to say that it happened on a night when I was on-line till late until 3 AM and did so for some days. Perhaps this stressed the eye which ''activated'' the herpes virus that was inactive in my eye. Could that be a possibility as well?

I read this, here (_http://www.uci.edu/features/feature_herpes_090323.php):

While it often remains dormant, the virus can be activated by psychological, chemical or environmental stresses and infect the eye's corneal region, sometimes causing a potentially blinding condition called herpetic stromal keratitis.

It could be anything. Maybe I'm allergic to dates? I've eaten a lot of them in that period. Or maybe deficiency in A?

It is interesting also that on the first day this happened, I saw a red spot in the white area on my eye. So it started from the middle... and then grew over time.

But the docs are betting on a Herpes virus. I will see him tomorrow again.

LissyLou said:
I often use remedies for myself from the Edgar Cayce readings. I looked last night, and I did not find any specific readings from Cayce on eye inflammation . Cayce tends to focus on overall conditions – circulation, elimination, blockages in nerve impulses, flow of lymphatics, etc…

For some palliative measures to help your eye recover, cool compresses go a long way, if done consistently. Perhaps a castor oil pack (a favorite of mine to increase lymphatic flow) on the glands in your neck and around your ear. http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/dietarytherapy/a/CastorOilPack.htm If you are dealing with a virus, doing these things can certainly not hurt. The idea is to help the body restore balance.

For myself, I sometimes use a shortcut. I massage a thick layer of castor oil into the glands of my neck and simply nuke a wet towel, as hot as is comfortable to place on the skin. This is quicker and easier. You may have to reheat the towel if it cools too quickly.

Thanks! I'll try this!

LissyLou said:
Keep us posted Oxajil . Did you have your follow up appointment on Friday? It is possible your eye doc is doing what he should. I did not mean to imply too strongly that he might not. With all that has been happening, not only at the chateau, but in my own home lately, it took me a few days to give this some clear, concise thought. Please be well and take care.

Yes I did have the appointment on Friday. It was different than the other appointments. He told me genuinely what he thought of it and explained me that it is difficult to say for sure what it is, since such a virus can not be isolated and tested with, but did say that all the signs, the pressure and how it was spreading etc. (don't recall his exact words) are pointing to a virus. He also went to get one of his colleagues to take a look and he said the same.

Again, thank you so much LissyLou. That you and others have taken the time to look things up etc. it really means a lot to me.

Thank you Ailen for your reply. I don't think it's a case of Blepharitis, because my eye does not feel itchy or irritated. (you could be right though since those are possible effects of blepharitis) My view is a bit blurry and there is this misty white layer on my eye, it looks very strange. Someone I know told me it looked like I wore a lens. My eye is also pink.

You're right, I should eat anti-inflammatory foods now. Thank you.

LissyLou said:
With all that has been happening, not only at the chateau, but in my own home lately, it took me a few days to give this some clear, concise thought. Please be well and take care.

Yes my brother is also going through a cold which has still not cleared up.
Perhaps, we as a group or family, are connected in a way that some things effect us all in some way.
Something could have many causes, perhaps. Symbolically and not.

Criminy, Oxaji.! You are really going through the wringer on this one. :(

Since the doctors have said that it is a virus, have you tried taking large quanities of Vitamin C? I mean like starting with 5 g at a time every 3 or 4 hours until your tummy starts to grumble and bubble?

I can only think that Vit. C has really helped me out of some messes in the past, although none of them dealing with the eye.

Take care and keep reporting back here.

Thank you Nienna for the effort. :( No I haven't drank vit C as much as I should. I will from now on. It's that lately I have close to 0 energy :(

There's something I'm worrying about with the EE program. What if there comes the urge to cry? I'm afraid that it will stress the eye if I would cry, or is that not true?
I've read that crying relieves stress and more. But I'm wondering how it affects the eyes..

Edit: Monday the eyedoctor told me to continue with the medications and that we will check next monday to see if there is any improvement. If there isn't they are going to do a blood test to see what the cause is..

Oxajil said:
There's something I'm worrying about with the EE program. What if there comes the urge to cry? I'm afraid that it will stress the eye if I would cry, or is that not true?
I've read that crying relieves stress and more. But I'm wondering how it affects the eyes..

hi Oxajil,

when was the last time you cried over something emotional? does such a thing come easily for you, or not?

It does not sound like Oxajil's red eye started because of blepharitis.

Quotes from Oxajil: I do feel "ill" around my right eye/ear area.
It is interesting also that on the first day this happened, I saw a red spot in the white area on my eye. So it started from the middle... and then grew over time.

Blepharitis involves the lids and lashes. And lid scrubs with baby shampoo often resolve it. Laura's suggestion to you Ailen was spot on. If you are susceptible to bleph, making lid scrubs part of your daily routine is a good idea (morning and night). As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

LissyLou said:
It does not sound like Oxajil's red eye started because of blepharitis.

Quotes from Oxajil: I do feel "ill" around my right eye/ear area.

Blepharitis involves the lids and lashes. And lid scrubs with baby shampoo often resolve it. Laura's suggestion to you Ailen was spot on. If you are susceptible to bleph, making lid scrubs part of your daily routine is a good idea (morning and night). As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Thanks a lot LissyLou! I hope Oxajil can cure her problem with good advice and a healthy diet. Sorry that the information on blepharitis wasn't very helpful for you Oxajil! I wish you a speedy recovery.

Some years ago I was diagnosed with Blepharitis.
Sheesh... Seems I've been saying "Some years ago I was diagnosed with..." much lately. I don't think I'm whining, just sharing my experience.
Can I have a little cheese with that whine?:umm: :umm: :umm:

Anyway, the doc told me to think of eye acne. That I had overactive tear ducts and sometimes they get clogged up. Man, my eye(s) would start with a little red spot looking like a zit(acne like), start swelling up, hurt like hell and sometimes get large enough to swell shut my eye(s). Looked like my wife beat me with a lead pipe. A few times I've had to have them lanced. Had to, not by choice I tell ya! Quite scary to see a scalpel coming at your eyeball. Kept telling myself. DON'T MOVE!!! DON'T MOVE!!!

Baby shampoo, yep, that works best for me. Doesn't cure a flare up, but sure helps in a speedy recovery...
Right now I'm thinking about the characteristics of a seeker having physical problems.
What else is gonna happen: Geeze...
:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

edit: spelling again. Spellchecker doesn't get 'em all...
also, when I typed "eye" I meant the eyelids, not the eyeBALL. :pirate:

Back
Top Bottom