Pets acting strange?

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
I just want to ask if anyone has noticed any unusual behavior in their pets lately - like over the past three weeks or so? Changes of habit; a little more nervous; clinging or staying very close; appetite changes; that sort of thing.

Yes. Our cat has come down with some weird thing. He is an outdoor cat but will not step outside when it rains (normal). The last few days (maybe a week) he has been out in the rain huddled up against the house. He is also eating like mad, maybe twice as much as usual. Then for 2 or 3 days he had this huge drooling problem. I was scared (he is very old) and thought maybe he was dying as he was also kind of under the weather - off. I kept a close eye on him and looked up a bunch of stuff about the symptoms and most of it said it could be a tooth problem or the cat may have eaten a bee or bug and been stung. He seems to be much better but he is still kind of off. It could very well be that he is nearing the end of his time here. But if not then he has been very, very weird. When he does come in he is very very lovey.

Laura said:
I just want to ask if anyone has noticed any unusual behavior in their pets lately - like over the past three weeks or so? Changes of habit; a little more nervous; clinging or staying very close; appetite changes; that sort of thing.

Yes! Thank you for bringing this up - I thought it was just my dog of late. He is VERY clingy - will not let me out of his sight (not normal) and follows me each step I take - even me just moving from one room to the other in plain sight (also not normal). He continually stares at me like he is trying hard to tell me something. Appetite is lighter than normal. These changes have been over the past 3-4 weeks.

:huh:

Yes. Our gray cat has gone from her usual pattern of sleeping on the bed with us at night, to sleeping on our kitchen table. She also insists I hold her all the time, and she's a chunk. When I can't hold her, she sits and stares at me, which is really weird. Our dog is unusually protective, and he's going between wanting to stay right at our sides and barking around the yard in 'gaurd' mode. Even in deer season, this is odd. (He's never cared before) Both are itchy with dry skin for the time of year, and we haven't changed anything in the environment to cause this. Wiping the cat with unscented wipes seems to help her some, but her behavior is still off. The dog appears hyper-alert, and that is not normal either.

Our cat is a totally indoor animal. The dog comes in at night, and likes to be outside in a large fenced yard during the day. This has been going on for the last 2 weeks.

Yep. Lately my cat is constantly following me around and meowing at me. She's also taken up the habit of sleeping on the kitchen table.

yep as well. my dog has been up whining and occasionally barking at night (though her fleas are gone now), and she's never in the past had a problem with sleeping soundly. she's also much more nervous/agitated than usual. fwiw, i've heard a lot more barking in the neighborhood over the past week or so as well. my cat's behavior doesn't seem to have changed much, despite his being a little more lethargic than before, but he's getting on in years...

JonnyRadar said:
my dog has been up whining and occasionally barking at night

I wasn't going to mention it since my dog is always super clingy, but she has been barking in her sleep, which never happened before. She's sound asleep when it happens and I assume dreaming as she makes these muted, closed muzzle barks, until I shake her to wake her up. It is a new behavior but not sure if it means anything (other than bad guys in her dreams).

My cat has been much more active since mid-September, which is unusual for him. He often wants to play, and running up and down the length of the apartment jumping on things/up to windows. I actually was happy about this, since he was malnourished when I took him in off the street in June, and has recovered only slowly. He also has been super friendly- "talking" to me when I enter the apartment, immediately jumping on my lap when I sit down, and checking in on me by "talking"/jumping up on my lap or near the sofa where I've been working, even in the middle of practicing loud musical instruments, which he usually hates! I attributed all this to my return from being away for a week (the first time I had done so) and the weather becoming cooler after a hot summer in the apartment. FWIW.

One of our cats (the youngest, 2year-old) is behaving oddly; however, the older cat and our two dogs are doing nothing out of the ordinary. Fritz is normally a very laid-back cat who spends most of his time catting-around outside, and only meows at me when he wants food. Over the past week he asks to go outside, then wants back inside within a few minutes (normally he's gone for hours). He follows me around and meows very loudly at me, so I give him wet food (which is always what he wants when he does that), but he only eats a little of it, then goes back to stalking me and meowing. Otherwise does not seem "unwell" in any way....

Laura said:

Yes, my cat has been very "clingy" and hanging around a lot lately. Not going outside much with this wonderful spring weather I am having. Normally he parks his bum in front of his bowl first thing in the morning, waiting for a feed. Again this morning he was looking for some attention and I had to lead him to his bowl which has happened a few times over the past week.

Now that you mention it, my little dog has been really clingy--just that past week though, it seems. She won't leave me alone and will not let me out of her sight. She shakes a lot, which she usually only does during a thunder storm. Wish she could talk.

Laura said:

I dont have pets and so no input from my side. I was wondering about what type of event this behavior reflecting which is global. many of this respondants to this thread are spread across globe , US , france , australia etc.

earthquake or psunami or what else. ?

animals are not known to behave like this for matrix control.

My little girl has been barking a lot less, hardly at all for the past couple of weeks. This seemed to coincide with the yearly shutting of the windows now that it's gotten colder and that is what I connected it to. However, I don't recall the same behavior in past years. The only other period that she didn't bark was when I first got her - she was an abandoned dog and appeared to be abused - she didn't bark for the first four months or so. She's certainly not as introverted as she was then - just barking less.

I had to think for a while on this as I have moved to another location under different circumstances than they are used to so they tend to want to stick by me.

The only think I have noticed different in the last few weeks is them barking and nothing is there. But the do like to bark at stuff. :/ A lot. :rolleyes:

However, this is pretty freaky for them - they have started looking up at the sky. This they have never done before and I can't quite figure it out. So I would have to say that yes, they just might be a little more nervous than normal.

The other thing is the last couple of nights late when they have to go out for a potty run - usually around 1:00 am to 3:00 am, I have been hearing birds singing. Little song birds, like a whole flock of them. At night! :huh: Just singing their little hearts out.

Also for the last few weeks there has been a lot of dogs barking all over, all night until just before morning. :shock:

Of course, this could also be normal and I just haven't paid any attention to it before.

fwiw

My two dogs seem pretty normal, the male always sticks close and wants to play, be pet and gives me that look like he's trying to understand the words I'm speaking and the little girl, well she's her typical ball of energy self. They do seem to have 'extra' energy of late, even after I walk them and run with them they're still rearing to go... I just attributed it to their breed, but now that I think about it, it is a recent phenomenon. They used to crash for at least a half hour after I take em out somewhere fun.

Back
Top Bottom