Pictures of your Christmas Tree

I just put my tree up, same as last year.
Was not going to bother and then my husband encouraged me to do it.

Anyone got a newly inspired tree this year? Or anyone who has joined the forum in the past year who would like to post a pic of their tree?

2022 christmas tree 1.jpeg

I brought these four little fir trees home from my work at a forestry nursery. They were all going to be composted, but now there is one Christmas tree for each member of my family. Over the years, there has been a drift away from Christmas spirit with my parents, a sort of 'it doesn't matter, we're over it' kind of attitude - but when I brought these home, we had a lot of fun decorating our tiny baby trees and laying out all of the ornaments in a nice decorative scene. And in the springtime, these babies can be planted too!

We got a real tree this year (still novel to me, you couldn't get them where I grew up in the tropics), so the house smells all nice and Christmassy.. It's pretty much decorated the same as every year.. We're having only a very small gathering this year because most of our family are far away in distant parts..and it's a little bit sad here, nobody else is really into Christmas, except my partner and I (well, my mum used to be but because she had a stroke she can't do anything now, and doesn't seem to really enjoy things because of that. And grandma also was but doesn't have the energy any more, grandpa has Alzheimer's and she's looking after him at 95!) so....it's up to us! But we love Christmas trees and tinsel and coloured lights and cooking some nice food, so we generate our own festive field and will be merry, come what may, and everyone else will come hang out and join us in whatever merriment they're up for. There won't be any kids here this year so not much gift giving going on (the dog LOVES shredding wrapping paper though).. but for us, the decorating and the whole time of year is what we love... though personally, new year's eve is my favourite. I grew up always having large family xmas gatherings, and my gf grew up never having any of that until she became part of my family, so I think it's something we'll both always treasure... We agreed the other day to keep making the effort even when we're 90.

IMG_20221218_224931.jpg

I still want some warm candlelight-looking yellow lights.. that might be a nice change from our usual random rainbow colours :)

Our tree this year looks the same as my post last year so this year I'm going to show our 'made in Hong Kong' creche (from the very early 80's, I think) that's sitting on our ~120 y.o. buffet. It's a bit hard to see because of the mirror and lighting. The shiny surface is just a plastic sheet to protect the wood.

There is an angel at the top holding a banner with the inscription "Gloria in excelsis Deo" (Latin: "Glory to God in the highest"). There is a gold star and gold ribbon on the roof behind the angel that is not a part of the original creche. On the left is a shepherd carrying a lamb on his shoulders with two sheep resting on the ground. A resting grey cow is tucked behind the partition wall with the hole in it. Next comes Mary and Joseph with baby Jesus lying in front on a bed of straw/manger. Beside them are the three kings, or Magi, holding golden containers meant to hold the gold, frankincense and myrrh. Hidden behind the the Maji is a resting brown bull because it gets a bit cramped if I put him in front of them.

The globe sitting in a Coppercraft candle holder on the left is a large sandlewood candle that was a Christmas present from my dad's brother when he came to visit my parents ~1970. I wasn't around yet. We've never burned it or even taken it out of it's plastic packaging. It was just too pretty to use. It smells wonderful! For some reason, we have always referred to it as the Jerusalem candle. I don't know why but someone in our family (my dad I think) gave it that name.

On the right is a carved wood man on a donkey leading a train of three camels. A small nail anchors a chain between each. The white stuff on their feet is very dried out plasticine. These guys fall over otherwise. Extremely annoying because only one would actually fall over, but since they were chained together, dominoes, all. the. time!

The candle and camel train have nothing to do with the creche and are usually separate from it. We would position the two so that the camel train would be heading towards the candle; ergo: travelling to Jerusalem.

Merry Christmas all!

Creche on Buffet (Original, Resized).jpg

Back
Top Bottom