Pink Floyd Dark Side of Moon and Wizard of Oz synchronicity

knowledge_of_self said:
I am one of the people who really didn't understand the Pink Floyd movie though.
It's the lifestory of Pink - a musician who lost his father during WWII who finds himself isolated throughout his childhood and takes this into his adulthood. The bit with the troopers is supposed to be all in his head. The wall is that which seperates us from each other - isolation being the main theme. Towards the end he's put on trial (by himself) who order th wall to be torn down. The outro tune (from the wall) provides the view of friends who try to get through (and usually fail).

Self-mutilation is indicative of mental health problems. Richey Manic of the Manic Street Preachers cut himself on the arm when being quizzed about self-mutilation, he later disappeared, odds are off Clifton suspension bridge in Bristol, a notorious place for jumpers due to the height of the bridge above the river. Regarding the 'shaving', Kurt Cobain mentions in 'Lithium': "I'm so lonely, that's okay, i shaved my head". Given that lithium is a drug often prescribed to patients suffering from mental health problems, excessive shaving is another indication of problems.

It helps if you understand that the film 'The Wall' is a (loose) autobiography of Roger Waters. His father was born 1917 - died 1944, which is what "When The Tigers Broke Free" is about. During the seventies, the members of Floyd drifted apart. One would come in and do his bit in the studio before leaving and somebody else would walking in and doing their bit. It worked for them at the time. Part of the problem was whilst getting bored with the 'prog rock' parts, various things happened - one fan goaded RW to spit towards him, in Brazil, the concert stopped due to the letting off of a fire cracker. This lead RW to think of placing a wall between the performers and the audience. Apparently a similar thing existed backstage where each would have his own caravan, only coming together to perform.

His original idea was to have an album, stageshow and film. The band did the first two with Gerald Scarfe responsible for the animations in the film with Bob Geldof being 'Pink'.

Hope that hepls, if you like 'The Wall', you might like to try 'Amused To Death'. it deals with more modern fare, on an antiwar theme throughout, going via 'the bravery of being out of range' and 'watching tv' (referring to Tianemen Square), to how much does a nuclear sub commander earn...

paulnotbilly said:
Hope that hepls, if you like 'The Wall', you might like to try 'Amused To Death'. it deals with more modern fare, on an antiwar theme throughout, going via 'the bravery of being out of range' and 'watching tv' (referring to Tianemen Square), to how much does a nuclear sub commander earn...
Thank you Paulnotbilly, you explanation actually did help my understanding of the film. And I will check out 'Amused to Death' for sure.

Nina

Ryan said:
beau said:
Ben said:
That may be your experience but I can personally attest to the fact that it does not require the ingestion of any kind of chemical substance to really appreciate this album.
I totally agree Ben. I hear PF on the radio every day and, completely sober, I really get into it. I don't think one needs to be in any altered state to really appreciate it.
Thirded. I've currently got "Delicate Sound of Thunder" (the live double) playing in my CD player in the car at the moment. I really like the message in many of their songs - "The Turning Away", "Dogs of War", "High Hopes", "What do you Want from Me?" and of course, "Wish You Were Here".... great stuff.
Ditto. My favorite from all of his songs is "Coming back to Life".

Id just like to say Dark Side of the Moon is my favourite album of all time. I can listen to it all the way through and never tire of it. Theres something about it that touches very deep, its unlike any other album i've ever listened too.

Hello Everyone!

I saw The Dark Side Of The Rainbow ten years ago for the first time, and that`s because Pink Floyd is my elder brother`s favourite group and He found it somewhere on internet and showed it to me. Well, that was pretty interesting. I found some materials on the net for this:
http://thepinksync.tripod.com/
and if someone wants to see this there is movie (in 15 parts)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmCfvcfHwKA
When listening to The Dark Side Of The Moon or particular songs from this album. I got this feeling that it touches my soul, that`s very deep. I remember when I was a kid my brother was listening to the Echoes suite and I was afraid, when it came to these strange sounds at about 11th minute, but now I`m older and not afraid of those sounds anymore! :D Now they remind me of some talking creatures flying through the cosmos. :)

Good day!

One of the many things I enjoy about this forum is that a person can revive a 3 year old thread and nobody complains about it ;D.

The synchronicity of this thread is that I read is 3 minutes before walking out the door to work and when I turned on the radio 'Wish you were here' was playing.

I am compelled to comment about this statement:
Since I do not do drugs, I noted and observed others just as you quoted above
that many people, at least from my vantage point, do get themselves into altered
states by chemical means (alcohol, pot, LSD, etc.) to get the maximum experience,
whatever it is they are seeking for themselves.

I think that we (Human Beings) remain genetically 'wired for sound' in a very big way and that we all gravitate towards the music (sound) that we 'like' because it harmonizes with us at a deep subconscious level. It may even 'heal' us in a certain way. I have read papers about Russian Scientists using sound waves to alter (correct) DNA. They have used sound to 'heal' humans.

We choose what we listen to for a variety of factors; what your parents listened to, what your friends listened to, what connects with you.

My parents listened to classic rock when I was a growing up, so you interests fall along the lines of Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith.
I am not a fan of country/western music. I lived in a geographic area that was inclined to play that selection of music and i can say that sonically it does not mesh with me.

For the record I have to say that across all genres of music, people are inclined to chemically alter their consciousness for the purpose of maximum absorption (enjoyment) of the material. The genre and venue tend to dictate the chemical used, but my experience allows me to state that across all classes of people this statement holds true for all types of music I've enjoyed played live...

...And I believe this to be true within ourseves as a carry over from the Golden Age...

All of the legends talk about stylized dances and the oldest things about Stonehenge say that it was the Temple of Apollo and that Apollo danced there all night at certain periods of time.
they must have had music and I bet they imbibed 'something' to enhance / alter their consciousness.

Absorb. We are Pink Floyd, and all other facets of your higher consciousness.

I am such a David Gilmour fan. wonder if he 'channels' his great creativity?

-Steve

Hello!
Hello SnoDog!
The synchronicity of this thread is that I read is 3 minutes before walking out the door to work and when I turned on the radio 'Wish you were here' was playing.
Well, I don`t believe in coincidences! :P

There is no sense in quoting whole Your post in mine, but I will add to what You`ve said few things.

I agree that music can alter brain chemistry. Sometimes when I can`t fall asleep i take my mp3 player and listen to some calming music (pink floyd, alan parsons project, kitaro, ect.) and what about sex, drugs and rock n roll (today it should be trance not rock n roll ;D ), the old saying? I guess that it connects all those strongly altering brain chemistry things together, what do You think about that?

The Cass said that they "inspired" makers of Wizard of Oz, and Pink Floyd (if I understood correctly).

I`m sorry, I`m so sleepy and my mind is lazy today because of bad weather...

Good day anyway!

As a muso, I was horrified when I first listened to Dark Side of the Moon, not because I didn't like it, but because I couldn't believe in my 20 years of being a muso I hadn't hard it before. I listened to it for the first time in its entirety in 2009!!! I then went on to facebook and posted this:::

I'm in love!!! Dark side of the moon - understand why stories like Wizard of Oz exist in the first place - lyrics in Brain Damage and Eclipse - The background picture on each page in the CD jacket - you must listen to this album with earphones on - connect the dots and welcome to Dingo's world - unfortunately there's no one here with me...maybe one day

In my younger years, i listened to PF in an altered state and recall enjoying it. Being older, hopefully wiser, and mos def more sober, i find i enjoy PF moreso now than i ever did. I can consciously experience the music on many levels, instead of thru a haze of self induced escapism.

Bar Kochba said:
In my younger years, i listened to PF in an altered state and recall enjoying it. Being older, hopefully wiser, and mos def more sober, i find i enjoy PF moreso now than i ever did. I can consciously experience the music on many levels, instead of thru a haze of self induced escapism.

Same here, but with a twist. I don't listen to them much anymore unless I feel I need some kind of cathartic emotional release.

When I was in the Navy, there were times when PF was my only emotional outlet. In a sense, the band probably saved my life because being 19 years old, out on the ocean working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for months at a time while risking your life on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier and being unsure when you would ever see land again, a person can get a little depressed. If it hadn't been for the beauty and depth of meaning in my favorite music at the time (Pink Floyd), I would have gone bonkers, and almost did.

This never fails to give me chill bumps and bring tears to my eyes when I let it really sink in:
All that you touch and all that you see
All that you taste, all you feel

And all that you love and all that you hate
All you distrust, all you save

And all that you give and all that you deal
And all that you buy, beg, borrow or steal

And all you create and all you destroy
And all that you do and all that you say

And all that you eat and everyone you meet
And all that you slight and everyone you fight

And all that is now and all that is gone
And all that's to come and everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

Pink Floyd-Brain Damage, Eclipse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0VqTYrYncs
(3:52 to 5:43)
Lyrics and chords:
_http://www.guntheranderson.com/v/data/braindam.htm

I guess I assigned an esoteric meaning to all the symbolism. I imagine that anytime strong emotion overwhelms us, especially from the negative half of the emotional center, we are temporarily cut off from any awareness of our true natures; i.e., the moon (4D STS?) has eclipsed the sun (the divine spark of our real selves?) to feed, causing all our efforts to amount to nothing.

From another point of view, when I look at the video as a whole, including the juxtapositions of laughing politicians and bombs and so forth, instead of analyzing its parts, it looks very symbolic of a person reaching the point of emotional bankruptcy.

I guess that's why the band's music stands the test of time. Beautiful, perfectly-timed music, multiple dimensions of possible meaning...including an escape for those who prefer to linger in a dream-scape. In other words, something for everybody! :)

Q: (L) Now, frivolous question number one: Do you guys like Pink Floyd?
A: "Like" is a bit off base.
Q: (L) What would be more 'on base?'
A: Absorb. We are Pink Floyd, and all other facets of your higher consciousness.

Wow, I didn't know the C's had made this reference. For me Pink Floyd has been one of the best creatives, specially "The Dark Side of the Moon"; their songs still shock my emotional fibers deep to the core. One that has specially rocked me always is "Cerebral Damage", in my interpretation it seems to express the suffocation this world has always produced me, in every sense, and the idea that there is always an way out, one that maybe could be qualified like "insanity" by the average man; of course it would be interesting to contemplate where lies actually the insanity.

I leave you the lyrics.

Brain Damage
(Waters) 3:50

The lunatic is on the grass.
The lunatic is on the grass.
Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs.
Got to keep the loonies on the path.

The lunatic is in the hall.
The lunatics are in my hall.
The paper holds their folded faces to the floor
And every day the paper boy brings more.

And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

The lunatic is in my head.
The lunatic is in my head
You raise the blade, you make the change
You re-arrange me 'til I'm sane.
You lock the door
And throw away the key
There's someone in my head but it's not me.

And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

I just watched The Wall and gave me the idea that maybe Roger Waters used the Wizard of Oz as a practice run on writing an album to a movie. The songs on the Wall movie seem to have been written for the movie. I obviously can't prove this with any facts, all of the members would deny it anyway.

Dingo said:
I just watched The Wall and gave me the idea that maybe Roger Waters used the Wizard of Oz as a practice run on writing an album to a movie. The songs on the Wall movie seem to have been written for the movie. I obviously can't prove this with any facts, all of the members would deny it anyway.

Well, I think if you could prove it with facts, nobody would deny it. If you can't prove it, as you say, then your statement is just subjective. Not that we aren't all still stuck in subjectivity to some degree, but I think the important thing is not to over identify with our own subjectivity, otherwise it amounts to a self-lie.

The PF band members themselves have said that the Wizard of Oz synchronicity is just a coincidence. Why would they have any reason to lie? If anything it distracts from the message of a lot of their songs, which come closer to the objective reality than anything regarding these Wizard of Oz synchronicities.

Synchronicities are often from our 4D STS "friends", so is it plausible that this synchronicity is just another elaborate distraction to keep us further invested in subjective reality (i.e. prison)? Those are my thoughts, FWIW.

Dingo said:

Maybe there is no deliberate synchronicity per se, but if the Wizard of Oz and PF music come from the same source, it would not be surprising to find a similar "taste" and similar patterns.

That's interesting, I guess it depends on when the starting points of both the pieces. Another interesting thing about "Breathe in the Air" is that it's almost the same chords as "Down by the River" by Neil Young. Except for an extra Bm (I think it is) in the bridge of Down By The River they are identical, (same key.)
I used to run the two songs together starting with Down ByThe River then merging into Breathe. The Em A/A7 at the end of Down by the River is exactly the same as the intro to Breathe, leaving out the heart beat of course, it's a dead giveaway. It would surprise an attentive listener in the audience if I had one.
Thanks for that bit of information I've got both so I'll try playing them together, it should be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom