Plane Crashes

Snip:
NEAR NASSAU, Bahamas (WSVN)
The Federal Aviation Administration released a statement on the crash that read in part:

“A Douglas DC-3 on approach to the Lynden Pindling International Airport, Nassau, Bahamas crashed short of Runway 14 into the water today at 4:45 p.m. The flight departed the Miami-Opa Locka Executive Airport enroute to Lynden Pindling International Airport. The FAA will investigate and the NTSB will determine the probable cause of the accident.”

Atlantic Air Cargo in Doral operate the aircraft with daily charter flights from Miami to the Bahamas and the Florida Keys.

Video / Tweets
Alaska State Troopers have confirmed a person has died following a plane crash in Unalaska.

AST says 38-year-old David Allan Oltman from Washington died.

AST says more information will be released shortly.

Troopers couldn't confirm if Oltman was one of the people previously reported hurt.

In a press release from Unalaska Department of Public Safety, officials say the runway and vehicle traffic through the area is shut down until further notice.

Dave Pflieger, President RavnAir Group, released the following statement in a press releases:

“On behalf of PenAir, Ravn Air Group and all our employees throughout the company, we would like to extend our deepest sympathies and condolences to the family and loved ones of our passenger who passed away"

UPDATE, 10/18/19 5:35 a.m.:
The National Transportation Safety Board says it is sending a team of nine to Unalaska to investigate the crash.

NTSB recovers flight data, cockpit voice recorders from PenAir crash in Unalaska

Meanwhile:
Flightradar24 on Twitter

Incidents:

Three people have been hospitalized after a cleaning product leaked on an American Airlines flight forcing it to make an emergency landing in Dublin.

The plane was less than an hour into its flight from London Heathrow to Philadelphia when two crew members fell unconscious due to the powerful smell.

Several passengers complained of burning eyes and skin irritation and one traveller was also taken to hospital in Ireland.

287 passengers and 12 Philadelphia-based crew members were on board flight AA729, which had been cleared for take off despite concerns over the leaked liquid.

Reports suggest the product was left behind in one of the bathrooms. In audio from the cockpit, the pilot explained that although the product is believed to be non-toxic, the crew required immediate assistance.

He said: "We’ve actually covered the container of the substance. It was a cleaning product that was used at London Heathrow, if you wait a moment I actually have a picture of the container that I have in a plastic bag.

"It was spilled and for some reason the container itself was left behind in the aircraft in one of the lavatories and continued to seep into the carpeting and produce what I’m told is not, it is not a toxic substance.

"We require paramedics to come on board the airplane and render immediate assistance. We’ve had two of our flight crew staff made, excuse me, the cabin staff have actually lost consciousness, but I think they’re back to a state of consciousness just now and there are general complaints about burning eyes and skin problems."

The pilot added that the leaking product was an aircraft interior cleaner made by Callington, a leading specialty chemicals manufacturer.
One passenger told The Telegraph the plane had been delayed at Heathrow whilst reports of an "unusual smell" were investigated.

He said: "Before take off the captain came on the loudspeaker saying the flight attendants had reported an unusual smell, and the flight was delayed while they investigated. They must've judged it safe because we flew out after, only to be rerouted to Dublin a short time later."

He added that the flight's 287 passengers were "penned in like cattle" at Dublin airport before been taken by bus to stay overnight in a hotel. They have not been told when they can expect onward travel.

Another passenger expressed concern for others onboard, calling the incident a "sickness outbreak".

A statement released by American Airlines said: "American Airlines flight 729 from London Heathrow to Philadelphia diverted to Dublin due to an odor caused by a spilled cleaning solution in the galley."

"The flight landed safely in Dublin at 1:15 p.m. local time, and taxied to the gate."
"Medical personnel have met the aircraft to evaluate any crew members or passengers who may need additional assistance."

I think it's about keeping abreast of current aviation trends, the downside and the up as well.

There's been so concern's that the current cosmic ray activity are seriously impacting crew's with repetitive high overseas flights. As well as having a negative effects possibly causing premature aircraft fatigue. That certain metals may have a higher decay rate, with the constant high altitude, Cosmic Ray expose.

The rest is (IMHO), is to keep on eye on the unusual given how the transcripts keep us informed.

I also understand that the material may be a bit graphic, and effect other's differently. So my apologies trendsetter37.

Maybe the Mods could change the tile.. With warning label and new (cover all), open lead. I don't know. 🧐

If you read the firsts posts in this thread, it started with SeekingtheTruth having a dream about a plane crash, which made him curious about how many plane crashes there had been the day of his dream. He found that there had been quite a few and a woman in one of the plan crashes look quite a bit like the woman in his dreams.

After that, Ryanx said that he had had a dream about a plane crash the same night that SeekingtheTruth had his dream. More conversation between them and, then, others started linking to other plane crashes that had happen since then and it sort of took off from there.

I would say lets not throw the baby out with bath water.
I feel this thread has taken a twist perhaps in the road. And believe the title needs correcting to cover an important and ever changing industry. With best, is yet to come.
As far the crashes, I agree that of the number of flights on a daily basis, are really minuscule. IMHO.

So, to cover a trend maybe track the percentage of plane crashes vs successful flights. To track every plane wreck on an almost daily basis seems like a bias is forming and leads to missing the forest for the trees. If I were new to the forum and happened upon this thread it would be easy to think "Oh, the number of plane crashes are too high, something's amiss!"

Tracking plane crashes just for the sake of tracking them is an easy way to program fear into an event that shouldn't be that scary given that it is relatively safe compared to say, driving to work. In short, I personally felt like this was getting into fear mongering; especially without including some kind of metric or added information for why you were doing this, @c.a.

OK fair enough. It was not my intentions, as stated:

I think that your implying something that is was not intended. The whole thread took a different turn sometime back.
As far as fear mongering this thread, I think that's a bit much.
Intent aside, the definition of fear mongering is continually covering or relating morbid events without context or with skewed context.

Chilean Air Force C-130 plane en route to Antarctica disappears with 38 on board

An aircraft disappearing off Antarctica must be ringing some bells for inclined readers.
It combines such mysteries as "Antarctica", "Missing people" and "MH-370"...

The plane's destination was the "Frei" military base on King George Island.

We'll have to stay tuned to find out whether parts of the plane can be recovered or whether it accidentally went to another realm...

450px-Kgeorge_map.png

BBC News on Dec 12, 2019

The transport aircraft took off from Punta Arenas at 16:55 local time (19:55 GMT), and operators lost contact at 18:13 (21:13).Those missing include 17 crew and 21 passengers.

They were travelling to provide logistical support to a military base on Antarctica's King George Island. A search-and-rescue mission is under way.

Air Force Gen Eduardo Mosqueira told local media that the plane did not activate any distress signal. He said the plane, whose pilot had extensive experience, might have been forced to touch down on water.

An air force statement said that the plane was about 450 miles (725km) into its 770-mile journey when contact was lost, placing it within the Drake Passage.

The Drake Passage is a body of water connecting the South Atlantic and South Pacific oceans, and is known for treacherous weather conditions. But Chile's air force said local weather was good at the time of the plane's disappearance.

It also said that the plane would have had enough fuel to keep airborne until 00:40.

Three of the passengers were Chilean soldiers; two were civilians employed by engineering and construction firm Inproser, who were going to carry out work on the military base; one was a student at Magellanes University; and the remaining 15 passengers were members of the air force.

ELZUSvaW4AANLW4.jpg

CBS News on Dec 12, 2019

Punta Arenas, Chile — Search crews have found the wreckage of a Chilean air force plane that went missing en route to Antarctica with 38 people aboard, the country's defense minister said Thursday. He said human remains from some of the victims were also recovered from the sea off the southern tip of South America.

Defense Minister Alberto Espina confirmed the discovery of the aircraft and the remains on Thursday, hours after search and rescue teams recovered floating debris and personal items suspected to have come from the plane.

Earlier, the Chilean-flagged vessel Antarctic Endeavour located debris believed to be part of the plane's fuel tanks, Air Force Commander Eduardo Mosqueira told a press conference.

ELifOCoWsAEuO8h.jpg

He said the wreckage was located about 17 miles from the plane's last known position. It dropped off radar screens at 6:13 p.m. (4:30 p.m. Eastern) Monday, on the way to Chile's Eduardo Frei base on the Antarctic coast.

The Drake Passage is the shortest distance from the South American continent to the Antarctic continent, and is frequently used for passages by both air and sea between South America and Antarctica. The passage is known for frequent storms and 40-foot waves. Sea conditions in the area where the aircraft was lost were reported as moderate at the time of its disappearance. However, the weather forecast for the 500-mile wide open ocean passage for today called for temperatures of 2° Fahrenheit with near gale-force winds and snow. High winds in the region will increase wave size in the area, making search and rescue operations more difficult. Lighting conditions in the region are favorable however, with the area having approximately 20-hours of daylight due to the season in the extreme southern hemisphere.
Source: theaviationist.com

ChileanC130Lost_10.jpg

File photo of Chilean military C-130 transport in Antarctica. (Photo: Fuerza Aerea de Chile)

Back
Top Bottom