Postmodern thinking of millennials

Ironically, this all process is conducted under the guise of increased freedom. Indeed, today we witness increased freedom in terms sexuality, gender identity, drug consumption, entertainment, ...

A healthy society is not one that allows everything or bans everything. A healthy society should offer the right balance between freedom and restrain. Today, we are witnessing just the opposite, what seems to me like an inversion of values where what should restrained is allowed and what should allowed is restrained.

Well I think western culture has a lot of good values, and to an extent they've had a positive influence in loosening some of the bad restrictions a number of traditional cultures have had. But it seems like those values have been brought out of a proper relation to one another, where one's moral tastebuds have become monochromatic and people care about authority at the expense of all other values, or about care and pleasantness at the expense of all other values, or their in-group solely, etc. And, yes, "freedom" and all that. Both the virtues and vices have been unleashed and rampage unchecked, often in strange combinations. I'm thinking for example of people who are highly sexually promiscuous but are also religious recyclers and extremely self-conscious about their carbon footprint day-to-day. Or those stereotypical fundamentalists who are found to be closeted gays and so on. The love and care of social justice warriors toward marginalized groups and their unconscious cruelty to any western cultural values which existed before the sixties.

Back
Top Bottom