Protocol 12, Hasbara, Wikipedia and the CIA

Wikipedia as COINTELPRO

Wikipedia is pretty transparent, because on controversial topics, it places the disputed data right there (on the talk page), and t
-------------
thats mostly true, but i have had pov warriors delete entire paragraphs from talk pages, and i have had admins more or less back them up doing it. Theres a lot of collusion over there, and a lot of behind the scenes stuff going on behind emails etc.

generally speaking, every topic i ever go there for i find wikipedias version of duckspeak in it, and i can usually shoot holes in it pretty easy, which is a good way to proove that the material is low quality; i'm not an EXPERT on everything, but i do know propaganda and logic, and if i can pull out a proof that wikipedia is being stupid or lying through its teeth or cherry picking the evidence on almost any topic, that pretty much prooves beyond a shadow of a doubt whats going on.

yes, you can find out whats being argued over, but what you won't easilly realize is how many voices have been silenced or drowned out or quit trying.

the arguments between long term wikipedians are often about silly stuff that makes no dif compared to the stuff they are missing or spinning or lying about.

Wikipedia as COINTELPRO

yep, it seems there are two sides to wikipedia. on any subject which is unimportant to the global power elite, it is actually a pretty amazing resource.

and then on certain 'unauthorised' topics, the censors come slamming down like a ton of bricks, users are permanently removed and banned.

the trouble is, because of the openness about trivia, on the one hand, it is very difficult for people to believe or understand that on the other side there is such an absolute level of control and censorship over certain subjects that matter.

Wikipedia as COINTELPRO

because it seems to be related: what ever happened to cassiopaedia ?

did you people stop the project because of sheer untractability due to amount of disinfo in the original database, or was it something else ?

just curious ...

Wikipedia as COINTELPRO

If Wikipedia had existed 800 years ago, there would be an entry that explained how the Earth is flat.

Common consensus doesn't always corrolate to reality. Wikipedia seems to be only an exposition of common consensus.

Hasbara and CIA employ Wikipedians to Spin Israel

I have a new appreciation for Cassiopedia.

http://english.ohmynews.com/articleview/article_view.asp?no=374006&rel_no=1

Wikipedia and the Intelligence Services
Is the Net's popular encyclopedia marred by disinformation?
Ludwig De Braeckeleer

While researching my next article about the Lockerbie bombing, I witnessed an incident that made me wonder whether intelligence agents had infiltrated Wikipedia.

Anyone who knows the universal success of Wikipedia will immediately grasp the importance of the issue. The fact that most Internet search engines, such as Google, give Wikipedia articles top ranking only raises the stakes to a higher level.

The Incident

In the aftermath of the Lockerbie bombing in 1988, the finger of suspicion quickly pointed to a Syria-based Palestinian organization -- the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, General Command (PFLP-GC) -- hired by Iran. The terrorist group was created by a former Syrian army captain, Ahmed Jibril, who broke away from the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP) in 1968.

I had learned from a recently released U.S. National Archives file that Shin Bet, the Israeli Security Agency, had infiltrated the PFLP and helped the Entebbe hijackers (Israeli commandos rescued the hostages in Uganda in 1976), so I wanted to learn more about the link between the PFLP and the PFLP-GC. I also wanted to learn more about allegations made by David Colvin, the first secretary of the British Embassy in Paris, concerning the rather bizarre collaboration between the PFLP and the Shin Bet.

As I could not locate the article in which I had learned about the allegations, I consulted the article on the Entebbe Operation on Wikipedia, where I knew the story had been noted. To my surprise, I found that all references to the alleged collaboration between the PFLP and the Shin Bet had been suppressed. Moreover, it is no longer possible to edit the page.

A Long, Undistinguished History

Conducting false flag operations and planting disinformation in the mainstream media have long belonged to the craft of the spies. In the months preceding the 1953 overthrow of Iranian Prime Minister Mohammed Mossadegh, U.S. and U.K. intelligence agencies used both techniques abundantly.

A copy of the CIA's secret history of the coup surfaced in 2000. Written in 1954 by the Princeton professor who oversaw the operation, the story reveals that agents from the CIA and SIS (the American and British intelligence services) "directed a campaign of bombings by Iranians posing as members of the Communist Party, and planted articles and editorial cartoons in newspapers."

The section of the report concerning the media speaks volumes: "The CIA was apparently able to use contacts at the Associated Press to put on the newswire a statement from Tehran about royal decrees that the CIA itself had written. But mostly, the agency relied on less direct means to exploit the media.

"The Iran desk of the State Department was able to place a CIA study in Newsweek, using the normal channel of desk officer to journalist. The article was one of several planted press reports that, when reprinted in Tehran, fed the war of nerves against Iran's prime minister, Mohammed Mossadegh," the document said.

Half a century later, the technique of disinformation is as important as ever to intelligence agencies. In the aftermath of the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, the Pentagon set up the Defense Department's Office of Strategic Influence with a mission "to provide news items and false information directly to foreign journalists and others to bolster U.S. policy and the war on terrorism."

The new office attracted so much criticism that the Bush administration eventually shut it down in February 2002. Even defense officials publicly denounced the dangers of such a program, which could have left the department without a shred of credibility.

"We shouldn't be in that business. Leave the propaganda leaks to the CIA, the spooks [secret agents]," a defense official said.

Is Wikipedia Harboring a Secret Agent?

According to clues accumulated by ordinary citizens around the world, it could be that the CIA and other intelligence agencies are riding the information wave and planting disinformation on Wikipedia. If so, tens of thousands of innocent and unwitting citizens around the world are translating and propagating their lies, providing these agencies with a universal news network.

The Salinger Investigation of the Pan Am 103 Bombing

Pierre Salinger was White House press secretary to Presidents John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson. Salinger also served as U.S. Senator from California and a campaign manager for Robert Kennedy.

But Salinger is also famous for his investigative journalism. Hired by ABC News as its Paris bureau chief in 1978, he became the network's chief European correspondent in 1983.

During his distinguished career, Salinger broke important stories, such as the secret negotiations by the U.S. government with Iran to free American hostages in 1979-80 and the last meeting between U.S. Ambassador April Glaspie and Saddam Hussein in 1990, during which she led the Iraqi president to believe that the U.S. would not react to an invasion of Kuwait.

Salinger, who was based in London, spent a considerable amount of time and energy investigating the bombing of Pan Am 103 over Lockerbie. He and his collaborator, John Cooley, hired a young graduate, Linda Mack, to help in the investigation.

"I know that these two Libyans had nothing to do with it. I know who did it and I know exactly why it was done," Salinger said during his testimony at the Zeist trial, where one of the Libyans was convicted of murdering the 270 victims.

"That's all? You're not letting me tell the truth. Wait a minute; I know exactly who did it. I know how it was done," Salinger replied to the trial judge, Lord Sutherland, who simply asked him to leave the witness box.

"If you wish to make a point you may do so elsewhere, but I'm afraid you may not do so in this court," Lord Sutherland interrupted.

Searching for the True Identity of 'Slim Virgin'

Slim Virgin had been voted the most abusive administrator of Wikipedia. She upset so many editors that some of them decided to team up to research her real life identity.

Attempts to track her through Internet technology failed. This is suspicious in itself as the location of normal Internet users can easily be tracked. According to a team member, Slim Virgin "knows her way around the Internet and covered her tracks with care."

Daniel Brandt of the Wikipedia Review and founder of Wikipedia-Watch.org patiently assembled tiny clues about Slim Virgin and posted them on these Web sites. Eventually, two readers identified her. Slim Virgin was no other than Linda Mack, the young graduate Salinger hired.

John K. Cooley, the collaborator of Salinger in the Lockerbie investigation, posted the following letter to Brandt on Wikipedia Review, which has been set up to discuss specific editors and editing patterns and general efforts by editors to influence or direct content in ways that might not be in keeping with Wikipedia policy:

She claimed to have lost a friend/lover on pan103 and so was anxious to clear up the mystery. ABC News paid for her travel and expenses as well as a salary'

Once the two Libyan suspects were indicted, she seemed to try to point the investigation in the direction of Qaddafi [libyan President Col. Muammar al-Qaddafi], although there was plenty of evidence, both before and after the trials of Megrahi and Fhimah in the Netherlands, that others were involved, probably with Iran the commissioning power. [In 2001, Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi was convicted of murder and sentenced to life in prison; Lamin Khalifah Fhimah was acquitted.]

Salinger came to believe that [first name redacted but known to be Linda] was working for [name of intelligence agency redacted but known to be Britain's MI5] and had been from the beginning; assigned genuinely to investigate Pan Am 103, but also to infiltrate and monitor us.
Soon after Cooley wrote to Brandt, Linda Mack contacted him and asked him not to help Brandt in his efforts to expose her. All doubts about Slim Virgin's true identity had vanished. Today, Linda Mack is rumored to reside in Alberta, Canada, under the name of Sarah McEwan.

Ludwig Braeckeleer has a Ph.D. in nuclear sciences. He teaches physics and international humanitarian law. He blogs on The GaiaPost.

2007/07/26 오� � 7:19
© 2007 Ohmynews

I've always wondered about Wiki. If it's so open to many, how can we determine who has an agenda or not? Who started it? Who does it "belong" to? And who moderates it? Those are the questions I would ask before taking any of it seriously.

Peg

mudrabbit said:
Who started it? Who does it "belong" to? And who moderates it? Those are the questions I would ask before taking any of it seriously.
Look here With these names Hasbara manual and Protocol 12 immediately come into mind

Where Does Wikipedia Get It's Funds? According to it's founder, James Wales, it lives on grants and small individual contributions.
From ADL – Bnai Brith for instance?

slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/09/05/1339219&tid=146&tid=1
Slashdot(dot)org said:
Frozen North writes "Recently, this article in the Syracuse Post-Standard caused a stir by dismissing Wikipedia as an authoritative source, and even suggesting that it was a little deceptive by looking too much like a "real" encyclopedia. Techdirt suggested an experiment: insert bogus information into Wikipedia, and see how long it takes for the mistake to be removed. Well, I did that experiment, and the results weren't good: five errors inserted over five days, all of which lasted until I removed them myself at the end of the experiment."
But it didn't take wiki mods long to remove Israeli links to 911:
Israeli links to 9/11? - Wikipedia neo-con cleansing

Wikipedia as cointelpro

Strange Discussion on Wikipedia about "Green Hilton Agreement?

Look how safely info on Laura is buried in wiki - 'in mass-grave' of all channelers. Sorry, Laura, for 'mass-grave', i can't find better name for what wiki did!

CarpeDiem said:
Look how safely info on Laura is buried in wiki - 'in mass-grave' of all channelers. Sorry, Laura, for 'mass-grave', i can't find better name for what wiki did!
Is there something still there?

I've been perfectly happy to NOT have an entry on wikipedia.

I posted, on Wikipedia, some links to very recent peer reviewed scientific studies supporting the FACT that modern elemental colloidal silvers were indeed very effective broad spectrum antimicrobials. I did this in response to the rather denigrating tone of the wiki coverage of colloidal silver's uses in medicine... very much in line with the pharmaceutical industry position on anything that threatens its stranglehold on antibiotics sales.

Within hours the new material was gone.

You might want to create an entry on the subject on cassiopedia.

Laura said:
Is there something still there? I've been perfectly happy to NOT have an entry on wikipedia.
You are listed, but there is no active link to an entry for your name.

Hasbara employs "Wikipedians" to spin Israel

_http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2007-July/078300.html

The Hasbara Fellowship program is a project of the Israeli Foreign Ministry
which "educates and trains university students to be effective pro-Israel
activists". The program essentially pays people to engage in promoting
Israel's point of view online.

Hasbara has said the following about wikipedia:

<http://www.israelactivism.com/index.php?mode=newsletter#article11>
http://www.israelactivism.com/index.php?mode=newsletter#article11

Everyone knows about Wikipedia, a place to go to get the 'real' scoop. How
often do you use Wikipedia to look up subjects you know little about? Now
imagine how often other people use Wikipedia to look up subjects related to
Israel.

Wikipedia is not an objective resource but rather an online encyclopedia
that any one can edit. The result is a website that is in large part is
controlled by 'intellectuals' who seek re-write the history of the
Arab-Israeli conflict. These authors have systematically yet subtly
rewritten key passages of thousands of Wikipedia entries to portray Israel
in a negative light.

You have the opportunity to stop this dangerous trend! If you are
interested in joining a team of Wikipedians to make sure Israel is presented
fairly and accurately, please contact director at israelactivism.com for
details!
-------

This looks like a concerted and funded effort to push a particular political
POV on wikipedia. If there is a "team" of people paid to edit Israel related
articles in a POV fashion shouldn't they be required to declare their
Conflict of Interest? Should employees or other individuals paid by Aish
HaTorah, which runs the Hasbara Fellowships program on behalf of and with
funding by Israel's Foreign Ministry, have to declare their COI if they edit
Israel related articles?

Yes indeedy. All the more reason for some of you forumites to get involved in cassiopedia and truthify all such articles with objective facts, not the "hasbara method" of debunking for Israel.

Coincidentally (or not) the following just arrived in my email:

See Who's Editing Wikipedia - Diebold, the CIA, a Campaign

By John Borland Email 08.14.07 | 2:00 AM
WIRED

CalTech graduate student Virgil Griffith built a search tool that traces IP
addresses of those who make Wikipedia changes.

On November 17th, 2005, an anonymous Wikipedia user deleted 15 paragraphs
from an article on e-voting machine-vendor Diebold, excising an entire
section critical of the company's machines. While anonymous, such changes
typically leave behind digital fingerprints offering hints about the
contributor, such as the location of the computer used to make the edits.

In this case, the changes came from an IP address reserved for the corporate
offices of Diebold itself. And it is far from an isolated case. A new
data-mining service launched Monday traces millions of Wikipedia entries to
their corporate sources, and for the first time puts comprehensive data
behind longstanding suspicions of manipulation, which until now have
surfaced only piecemeal in investigations of specific allegations.

Wikipedia Scanner -- the brainchild of Cal Tech computation and
neural-systems graduate student Virgil Griffith -- offers users a searchable
database that ties millions of anonymous Wikipedia edits to organizations
where those edits apparently originated, by cross-referencing the edits with
data on who owns the associated block of internet IP addresses.

Inspired by news last year that Congress members' offices had been editing
their own entries, Griffith says he got curious, and wanted to know whether
big companies and other organizations were doing things in a similarly
self-interested vein.

"Everything's better if you do it on a huge scale, and automate it," he says
with a grin.

This database is possible thanks to a combination of Wikipedia policies and
(mostly) publicly available information.

The online encyclopedia allows anyone to make edits, but keeps detailed logs
of all these changes. Users who are logged in are tracked only by their user
name, but anonymous changes leave a public record of their IP address.

Share Your Sleuthing!

Cornered any companies polishing up their Wikipedia entries? Spotted any
government spooks rewriting history? Try Virgil Griffith's Wikipedia Scanner
yourself, then submit your finds and vote on other readers' discoveries
here.

The organization also allows downloads of the complete Wikipedia, including
records of all these changes.

Griffith thus downloaded the entire encyclopedia, isolating the XML-based
records of anonymous changes and IP addresses. He then correlated those IP
addresses with public net-address lookup services such as ARIN, as well as
private domain-name data provided by IP2Location.com.

The result: A database of 34.4 million edits, performed by 2.6 million
organizations or individuals ranging from the CIA to Microsoft to
Congressional offices, now linked to the edits they or someone at their
organization's net address has made.

Some of this appears to be transparently self-interested, either adding
positive, press release-like material to entries, or deleting whole swaths
of critical material.

Voting-machine company Diebold provides a good example of the latter, with
someone at the company's IP address apparently deleting long paragraphs
detailing the security industry's concerns over the integrity of their
voting machines, and information about the company's CEO's fund-raising for
President Bush.

The text, deleted in November 2005, was quickly restored by another
Wikipedia contributor, who advised the anonymous editor, "Please stop
removing content from Wikipedia. It is considered vandalism."

A Diebold Election Systems spokesman said he'd look into the matter but
could not comment by press time.

Wal-Mart has a series of relatively small changes in 2005 that that burnish
the company's image on its own entry while often leaving criticism in,
changing a line that its wages are less than other retail stores to a note
that it pays nearly double the minimum wage, for example. Another leaves
activist criticism on community impact intact, while citing a "definitive"
study showing Wal-Mart raised the total number of jobs in a community.

As has been previously reported, politician's offices are heavy users of the
system. Former Montana Sen. Conrad Burns' office, for example, apparently
changed one critical paragraph headed "A controversial voice" to "A voice
for farmers," with predictably image-friendly content following it.

Perhaps interestingly, many of the most apparently self-interested changes
come from before 2006, when news of the Congressional offices' edits reached
the headlines. This may indicate a growing sophistication with the workings
of Wikipedia over time, or even the rise of corporate Wikipedia policies.

Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales told Wired News he was aware of the new
service, but needed time to experiment with it before commenting.

The vast majority of changes are fairly innocuous, however. Employees at the
CIA's net address, for example, have been busy -- but with little that would
indicate their place of apparent employment, or a particular bias.

One entry on "Black September in Jordan" contains wholesale additions, with
specific details that read like a popular history book or an eyewitness'
memoir.

Many more are simple copy edits, or additions to local town entries or
school histories. One CIA entry deals with the details of lyrics sung in a
Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode.

Griffith says he launched the project hoping to find scandals, particularly
at obvious targets such as companies like Halliburton. But there's a more
practical goal, too: By exposing the anonymous edits that companies such as
drugs and big pharmaceutical companies make in entries that affect their
businesses, it could help experts check up on the changes and make sure
they're accurate, he says.

For now, he has just scratched the surface of the database of millions of
entries. But he's putting it online so others can look too.

The nonprofit Wikimedia Foundation, which runs Wikipedia, did not respond to
e-mail and telephone inquiries Monday.

Back
Top Bottom