Quotes

Peter Froiken said:
The stories which the great adventurers bring us, are the stuff our dreams are made of, and in our secret minds, we live them. In our fantasies, we battle the most violent storms, conquer the bravest fighters, bring home the richest cargo from the most amazing voyages, dive for sunken gold, see the strangest sights, then in the end, science takes over from imagination, and behold, there are even greater wonders than we dreamed.
For all you scientists. ;)

Wisdom, then, is fear to misapply knowledge in thy dealings with thyself, thy fellow man. Many individuals have knowledge and little wisdom.

(Cayce Reading 1206-13)

Perceval said:
that's what's on my mind, and the fact that there is no section of this forum dedicated to them. So, I just created one.

From Awakening, by Anthony de Mello:

Said a disciple, " I don't trade my love for money."

Said the Master, "Isn't is as bad -or worse- that you trade it for love?"

A friend sent me these great comments about politicians. The first one summarizes the entire agenda of the psychopaths in charge. That one, and those by Khrushchev and Reagan are my favorites.

Politicians are people who, when they see light at the end of the tunnel, raise taxes and buy some more tunnel.
~ John Quinton

I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them.
~ Adlai Stevenson Campaign Speech, 1952

Instead of giving a politician the keys to the city, it might be better to change the locks.
~ Doug Larson

The problem with political jokes is they get elected.
~ Henry Cate, VII

Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.
~ Nikita Khrushchev

If God had wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates.
~ Jay Leno

A politician is a fellow who will lay down your life for his country.
~ Texas Guinan

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession . I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
~ Ronald Reagan

You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing.

- Descartes

Just thought to post this quote while reading Marcus Aurelius ‘Meditations’, and a description which relates to sts/sto in a relevant way to our times, osit:

Marcus Aurelius said:
One sort of person, when he has done a kindness to another, is quick also to chalk up the return due him. A second is not so quick in that way, but even so he privately thinks of the other as his debtor, and is well aware of what he has done. A third sort is in a way not even conscious of his actions, but is like a vine which produces grapes and looks for nothing else once it has born its own fruit...

manitoban said:
bngenoh said:
My brothers, i see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we fight!! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand. - Aragon at the black gate LOTR Return of the King. :P ;) :D

Love this quote, it always moves me, no matter how many times I've heard it, it still touches my heart.
Thanks for posting!

Yes, it's quite captivating... Elegantly written by the writers of those films. It brings to mind another quote about bravery in the face of adversity in humankind or otherwise - by Nelson Mandela:

“The policy of [racial descrimination] created a deep and lasting wound in my country and my people. All of us will spend many years, if not generations, recovering from that profound hurt. But the decades of oppression and brutality had another, unintended effect, and that was that it produced... men of such extraordinary character, wisdom, and generosity, that their like may never be known again. Perhaps it requires such depth of oppression to create such heights of character…

It is from the comrades in this struggle that I learned the meaning of courage. Time and again I have seen men and women risk and give their lives for an idea…I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. I felt fear more times than I can remember, but I hid behind a mask of boldness. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers fear.”

Whatever the stuggle may be, character and good conscience seem to prevail!

From Michael Ende's The Neverending Story:

When it comes to controlling human beings there is no better instrument than lies. Because, you see, humans live by beliefs. And beliefs can be manipulated. The power to manipulate beliefs is the only thing that counts.

bngenoh said:
My brothers, i see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we fight!! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand. - Aragon at the black gate LOTR Return of the King. :P ;) :D

My new signature, thanks for reminding it to me, I got goose bumps when I read it.

Navigator said:
bngenoh said:

My new signature, thanks for reminding it to me, I got goose bumps when I read it.
I have always felt that, that quote was incomplete, having thought about it, here's how I would change it:
My friends, I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of humanity fails, when we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is NOT this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of humanity comes crashing down, but it is NOT THIS DAY! This day we FIGHT!! By all that you hold dear, on this good Earth, I bid you STAND, WARRIORS OF THE EARTH!!!!!

Unfortunately, I can't remember who said this but it hits the nail (is that the expression?): "A teacher lives forever through his students."

Back
Top Bottom