Raine, Samenow, Fallon: Neuropsychology & The Work

Pretty sure we have a thread about him. This should be merged.

Thanks. Why is he now getting air play?
Because the Forces of STS want to take us to the next step: To accept certain variants of psychopathy starting with 'psychopathy-lite' ie the 'not-so-dangerous' ones... You know, the non-violent psychopath-types that Fallon's apparently 'normal' wife doesn't mind living with.
Not ALL psychopaths are 'bad' see, coz there are 'honest' psychopath-types warning us to how they will try to get us to do things we don't want to do for them, as Fallon confesses to. Its so simple, just don't get too close because "Strangers are very safe around me," he says. Therefor we only have ourselves to blame if we choose to get too close to them, right?

Finishing the last pages of Raine's Anatomy of violence. The Author gave valuable info about the consequences of brain damage in children and adults. Those instant transformations from healthy-to-sick via accidents and sick-to-healthy via tumor operations were fascinating. Also the helpful mind-therapies changing criminals were a welcome positive aspect of the book. Amidst the obscene, nauseating descriptions of how killers finished their victims and a look inside their demented minds, no thanks, that was enough.

Criminals' right to have children?! WTH?:
At first I thought Raine was joking about wanting to give killers and convicted criminals a right to have children. If I would have any say in the matter, there wouldn't be any serious criminal - [mass]murderer, rapist, arsonist, acid-sprayer or pedophile or similar demented filth - on this planet ever receiving the right in the next 1000 years to have children!

Raine appears to be super blind to any Higher Reality or maybe even the Deep State or he didn't want to go into discussing the evil oozing from all the exclusively Evil politicians he curiously mentioned. He had good ideas about therapy and early detection. We all know however, how his sensible ideas would be completely waylaid by Deep State power players. Greenlit only if the criminals successfully completing Raine's therapies would be later available as soldiers or organ donors or subjects to lethal virus tests / genetic experiments. Or Moon-colony buiders.

I loathed his Mind Raping psychological test questions akin to "Kahneman & Co.": Would you push the fat man before the incoming trolley killing only him and saving 5 railway workers or would you do nothing and then you would let the 5 railway workers die!? Big chance for us to get into a similar situation in life. Congratulations dear psychologists for extensively making us familiar with your sadistic test-questions oozing the mind-stink characteristic of the Lizzies.

Samenov got it right so beautifully! On the first pages he seemingly refutes most of Raine's strange assertions and I find myself energized by the book. What I have been commenting about on RT for months now in articles there about people snapping. How everybody usually wants [psychic/psychological] power & Freedom To Act (as they please). Mentally snapping people all around the world just want their power back, same power that the authorities are gradually robbing them of.

I'm so glad I began Inside the Criminal Mind. I feel totally aligned with his view - I'm on the first pages ATM - and I find his intro so furiously interesting that I instantly acquired Out of Character Crime, for the same reason I already mentioned.

I thought I'd bring up Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment as being a good addition to the books on the Criminal Mind. There are spoilers in the next few paragraphs in case anyone would rather read it first before knowing additional details. In any case he's Jordan Peterson's favourite author and I can understand why. It's a very dark book in that it follows the path of the main character, Raskolnikov, who commits a murder and robbery. As you find out later on in the book, over the course of several months he drops out of university, stops working, communicating with his family and friends and essentially forsakes all manners of responsibility and social bonds. He becomes secretive and isolated spending most of his time in his room and in the midst of that and in that environment and state of being, the criminal mind starts to flourish and he starts to justify to himself committing a murder in order to steal from a hated old money lender and restart his life on the 'right foot' again.

You find out later on that part of this justification had to do with believing himself to be a rare 'Napoleon' and above the average person so that social norms and rules that the rest of society abide by shouldn't apply to him. Never mind, he was a few steps away from being homeless and penniless and did nothing productive except lie down in bed and ruminate. But he gets more than he bargains for in committing the crimes as Raskolnikov is continuously trying to conceal what he did from his friends, family and police officers that are trying to solve the case and starts suffering from lapses in memory and judgement, or rather starts to conceal from himself his own motivations.

As the story continues, he starts to awaken to what he actually did and feeling the full effects of those actions, all the while an inner battle between that part of himself that constituted the 'criminal mind' starts to form. Even though he had given up bonds of friendship, he inadvertently befriends a man who later dies in an accident, and eventually meets the family and children that he left behind. Raskolnikov does what he can to help them and in doing so inadvertently falls in love with the man's daughter while his own sister promises herself in marriage to an authoritarian in the hopes that he will be able to help Raskolnikov and their family, both of which reignites his soul and conscience, and what follows in the rest of the book is an intense inner struggle between the two polarities of his being and how it affects everyone around him while also coming to terms with what he did and the inevitable role suffering plays on the road to 'salvation' or as Samenow would put it, correcting thinking errors.

When I started reading it, I almost couldn't believe the entire book would center around someone who commits murder. It's hard to root for a main character like that. And following his inner landscape was grim reading, especially at the beginning, but as the book progresses you start to see how complicated the character actually is and that not everything is so black and white, and that even someone who commits something as terrible as murder can't entirely be written off, at least according to Dostoevsky, if they are truly ready and prepared to suffer voluntarily in order to pay the price necessary to change their life around.

Just a note that in Soviet Union and in many Russian schools "Crime and Punishment" is on the 10nth grade's mandatory reading list. But some think that this particular book is perhaps a too heavy reading for such young minds, and they don't really understand it and adopt teacher's views.

In my personal case, since I moved to Israel when I was 13 years old, I missed most of the Soviet mandatory reading, but my mother "made sure" that I would read this book even at the earlier age! To be honest, it was probably too early because the book just left an extremely bleak and depressive feeling, and put me off Dostoevsky for good. ;-)Or at least recently, and after listening to JP.

Just a note that in Soviet Union and in many Russian schools "Crime and Punishment" is on the 10nth grade's mandatory reading list. But some think that this particular book is perhaps a too heavy reading for such young minds, and they don't really understand it and adopt teacher's views.

Indeed. It was still on the mandatory reading list when I was on the 10th grade (end of 90's) and I remember reading it. It was pretty depressive to read it back then and I remember that at school we had to do an analysis of Raskolnikov's character.

The following excerpts are from Whoever Fights Monsters by Ressler. Although this has already been touched on in the thread as a warning against dissociation, lying, wishful thinking, etc., it can serve as a reminder.

My research convinced me that the key was not early trauma but the development of perverse thought patterns. These men were motivated to murder by their fantasies.
--
They are obsessed with fantasy, and they have what we must call nonfulfilled experiences that become part of the fantasy and push them on toward the next killing.
--
Faced with a difficult happenstance such as the loss of a job, they turn inward and focus on their own problems to the exclusion of all else, and on fantasies as the solution to the problems.
--
The fantasies are substitutes for more positive human encounters, and as the adolescent becomes more dependent on them, he loses touch with acceptable social values.
--
His thinking patterns are all turned inward, designed only to stimulate himself.
--
I had long argued that the aberrant behavior of killers is in some ways only an extension of normal behavior.

In the The Myth of the Out of Character Crime Stanton E. Samenow mention 5 different tactics that defendant use to deceive him, I found it very interesting because I saw this tactics many time, especially at my work when a discussion happens after the situation was escalated:
1. Calculating how much he needed to disclose in order to feed others what he thought others wanted to hear. He’d tell part of the truth, but omit the rest.
2. Deliberately being vague about his activities.
3. Minimizing the seriousness of his conduct.
4. Persistent attempts to divert others from touchy matters so that he could avoid revealing anything incriminating.
5. And a fifth tactic was to seize the offensive and criticize other people rather than permit discussion of his activities.

Fantastic thread, thank you guys.

In my childhood I couldn't understand two things (among others): why people hide and fake emotions and why they lie?
So in my teenage age I tried to lie for a month, just to see how will I feel and how people will react on my lies. Even then I realized that lying is so complicated and in the same time one thing can happened and your whole house of cards breaks down. And truth sounds different, it almost like is heavier than lie. I couldn't understand that someone could built anything in his life based on lie. Also, I noticed (or at least I fought so) that people lie because they afraid to tell the truth. After Radical Honesty: How to Transform Your Life by Telling the Truth by Brad Blanton I finally 'found' my way of life. I spoke "the truth" as much as I can and fought that I'm so brave, so unique and so honest. My favourite questions for others was: who are you? what are you? where are you? and why you here? I did not realize that somebody might not be interested in such topics at all, I was so focus on my self. Till I met one girls that totally freaks out when I asked her these questions. She was terrified and I still do not know why she reacted so but after that I change my attitude little bit but my real changes begins when I came here.

Last year, before my working season, I read Inside the Criminal Mind. I fought that this material is much needed and convenient because my colleagues in the restaurant where I work are real criminals. They steal groceries from restaurant, lying all the time, manipulate, making plans to trash out other workers and even stealing money from cashier. And my parents taught me how is important to be honest, responsible and conscientious, especially at work. So, for three years I felt that I'm the last soldier standing because I fought that I have to defend restaurant where I work. They even made they clan (what I fought that's just a stories) and made a plan to bring me in a situation to break down and quit. And the owner was, somehow on they side. And that's was moment of breaking illusion. I appreciate those moments more and more, even is paintfull, and you can feel that you literally break down, I just love to pilling up this layers of my false beliefs/thinking errors.

My new working season begins in a few days and some things are changed. Since there are several of us who refuse to work again with the leader of the clan (I really do not exaggerate) owner finally realize that he's gonna lose all his good workers because this one guy and his clan. So, for a minute, it looks like 'good guys' has won;-). Even now, I can see how I look on this situation in a wrong way, like it's a battle. Where did I picked up this totally silly thinking?

Even through period of three years all this struggles and situation changed me but nothing like The Myth of the Out of Character Crime. Most of the time my face was like this :nuts:. In the ItCM I couldn't identify my self with thinking errors of criminal mind unlike second book that I found my self almost in every thinking errors.

Samenow's book opens the doors to looking at our programming and 'struggles' in a specifically focused light. While there are many elements that have been discussed here before, I think the work structures things in such a way that leaves no wiggle room for lies. That said, the book can still be read in two different ways. It can be read as applying to criminals only and you can check off how this or that thinking error doesn't apply to you. If there are deep seated programs and issues that you live with, this method of reading can be a thinking error in itself, in part coming from the maintenance of a self-image as a good and decent person. Admittedly, that is how I started the book.
Exactly. Thank you for explain it so clearly and with right words.

Sometime I have impression that The Life itself changes me and that's not what I consciously choose. It's like I'm just a stone and someone else is shapes me.

I didn't know that criminal view of himself as a good person. And that was my big mistake. In my mind and in my speech and acting there was two sides/camp, good one and bad one. Naturally, I was in good one :halo:. In order 'to protect' my self and colleagues that I like I didn't gave newcomers chance to choose for themselves or don't choose at all. I was the one that helped to create all this chaos and I fought that I'm the knight in shining armor that saves the thing.

Even I can found my thinking errors in many characteristics, though not so extreme like in the cases that Samenow writes about it, my biggest mistake related my work is my wishful thinking. My biggest wish when I enter four years ago in this restaurant was that I'm chef. Not because I'm ambitious but because I love this job and I'm good in organized things that everything works in the best manner. In the same time when I arrived, the leader of the clan came with almost the same wishful thinking. He wanted to take over hole restaurant because he fought that just belongs to him (something that is characteristic of criminal mind).

But, he is gone, and I manage to become sous chef. So, for me, that's a sign that there's no free lunch in universe, and I worked very hard (in any level) to pay my lunch.

In the same time I feel sad and frustrated with my self because I needed three horrible working season to understand all this 'show' was because I had wishful thinking, false beliefs and thinking errors. It looks so simple now, from this position.

But, an another hand, I feel exited and relief because I learned so much and the best thing in it, that I learn that changing my self is all the I really have to do. So, I'm entering in new season kind of fresh and new.

Something that Nienna said (I can't find even I was sure that that is in this thread) really kind of summarize for my self everything I learned through this years from my experience and books. That we should be aware every moment of our lifes of our acts toward others and try no to hurt anyone.

Back
Top Bottom