Romantic Fiction, Reality Shaping and The Work

This project took a different turn on me.

I´m in the middle of the Bridgertons (excellent series btw) and I almost cry or feel like crying every book I read.
Then I realized that it was pure self-pity and self-loathing and guilt.
I feel so sorry for myself, for what I had and lost and probably never to return, for all that was done to me and for what I did to other people.
I‘m stuck in this circle for some time now and I don’t know how to get out of it...
And so I read, then want to cry, only to realize that it's because of self-pity, self-loathing, shame and guilt, and as I realize that, then I want to cry how weak I am and how stupid of me this is and why can’t I be a better person than this...

And over and over again in circles....

I see it was always there in the back of my head but I pushed it back, and I think that reading the discussion here on this thread (cca 20 pages back) opened this realization further and now it is all I can see...
Scanning for reasons of my behavior - "I should have been better than that!", "Why didn´t I ....", "It´s xxx fault...", "It's my fault.....", "How to forgive yourself?", "How to forgive others?", "How to move on?" - that is all I can think of.

Then I think about how I'm failing - instead of opening up to something beautiful and true, I´m stuck in this loop, only to admit to myself that it was, in fact, always there.

Ironically, I realized I have less patience for stupid and self-pity form others; and again feel like a hypocrite since I´m doing exactly the same thing just not out loud!!

I´ve re-read the discussion again and thank you all for contributing.
Much to work on....

Hang in there Mari, be patient and don't be too harsh with yourself. From your above message i see that you already are changing, seeing things about yourself and about other people in your life, from your past, from your present from a different perspective. To me that's already a big change you are going through right now.

The following reading project affects everyone according to his/her own spiritual profile, emotional baggage and so. And i think one must not ever forget that we are here to learn our lessons and move forward and onward while keeping in mind the fact that along the way we did/will do stupid mistakes, hurting people around us and ourselves unintentionally off course. What one can do in this case is to be honest, transparent and merciless with oneself and his own false personality/predator mind and at the same time being gentle and humble towards himself and towards others. Forgiving oneself and others and letting go the pain, the suffering, the hate, the rage and every other negative emotion that holds us back and makes as act against our own true nature.

My advice to you if i may is, if you are feeling too overwhelmed at the moment maybe by taking a short break from the reading, doing other things in the meantime, things you like to do will help you process in the background the emotional roller-coaster you're going through at the moment.

I'm sure it will pass, be patient and let it flow. :hug2:

This book or this author Amalie Howard is not yet in the Laura's recommended list.

I noticed the same about a few others which I read at the very beginning (like The Quiet Gentleman, My darling Duke, etc, mentioned on her first post), but that are not on the list. I think that's okay, since those were the first ones she read and got the whole thing started. Not sure which ones she would still recommend among those. But the list we've got is pretty good!

I´m in the middle of the Bridgertons (excellent series btw) and I almost cry or feel like crying every book I read.
I feel so sorry for myself, for what I had and lost and probably never to return, for all that was done to me and for what I did to other people.
I‘m stuck in this circle for some time now and I don’t know how to get out of it...
And so I read, then want to cry, only to realize that it's because of self-pity, self-loathing, shame and guilt, and as I realize that, then I want to cry how weak I am and how stupid of me this is and why can’t I be a better person than this...

Yes, it good to be able to see things we did wrongly in the past and to acknowledge them and realize how we have hurt others. But, don't let that keep you in the past. I've had that problem, too, and have mostly gotten free of it.

If you may recall, Gurdjieff has said that people will get rid of anything they have except suffering. We love to suffer; to wallow in our suffering. However, this realization to be such a horrible person, if prolonged, can be just the other side of the coin of self-importance. For we are making it all about us, once again. "Oh, nobody is so horrible a person as I am." "Oh, look how much I am suffering as I realized I am a horrible person." And on and on....

The thing is, once we realize how badly we have treated others and to acknowledge it, we need to do as, I think it was, the Pressmans in The Narcissistic Family said and put these thoughts and realizations into their own box and label it as Bad Things I Did to Others, or whatever you feel is appropriate. Then, let them go so that you can move back into the Present. For if we live in the past, we can't really be in the present. And, if we're not in the present, then we can't move into the future, or so I think.

I'm not saying to forget all about what you have discovered about yourself, but to just put it away so that it doesn't hinder you from living. It will be there so that it can remind you if you're falling back into negative ways....just don't live there. :hug:

Thanks to seek10 for this overview! :thup:

My question : In French I found Mary Balogh: Unforgettable Love (2008), which seems to belong to a series, but which one?
-in English: Simply Love (2006)- This book may be out of place simply, and in this case I'm sorry :)

Merci à seek10 pour cette vue d'ensemble !
Ma question : En français j'ai trouvé de Mary Balogh : Inoubliable amour (2008), qui semble appartenir à une série, mais laquelle ?
-en anglais : Simply Love (2006)- Ce livre est peut-être en dehors simplement ? et en ce cas je suis désolée :)

Translations of Mary Balogh's books into Russian. This is what I have found so far.

A Counterfeit Betrothal / The Notorious Rake - Фиктивная помолвка. / Беспутный повеса.

Tangled - Смятение чувств.

The Obedient Bride - Прости любимая.

The Secret Pearl – Тайная жемчужина.

The Bedwyn Prequel book series.

One night for love – Ночь для любви.

A Summer to Remember – Незабываемое лето.

The Dark Angel Series of books.

Dark Angel / Lord Carew's Bride - Любящее сердце. / Невеста лорда Керью.

The Four Horsemen trilogy book series.

Indiscreet - Загадочная леди.

Unforgiven - Свет первой любви.

Irresistable – Неотразимый.

The Courting Julia trilogy book series.

Courting Julia - Ухаживая за Джулией.

Dancing with Clara - Танцуя с Кларой.

Tempting Harriet - Поверь своему сердцу.

The Heartless/Silent Melody duo book series.

Heartless – Бессердечный.

Silent Melody - Мелодия души.

The Huxtable Quintet book series.

First Comes Marriage - Сначала свадьба.

Then Comes Seduction - Не устоять перед соблазном.

At Last Comes Love - Наконец пришла любовь.

Seducing an Angel - Соблазнительный ангел.

The Bedwyn Saga book series.

Slightly Married - Немного женатый.

Slightly Wicked - Немного порочный.

Slightly Scandalous - Немного скандальный.

Slightly Tempted - Немного соблазнённая.

Slightly Sinful - Немного грешный.

Slightly Dangerous - Немного опасный.

The Ideal Wife/Stapleton-Downes book series.

The Ideal Wife - Идеальная жена.

A Precious Jewel - Любовная соната.

The book series "Dark Angel - The Ideal Wife Series".

A Christmas Bride / Christmas Beau - Рождественская невеста. / Рождественский денди.
I added all the Russian language titles for now.

I also added Russian to the form that can be use to put translated book names. you have to get the BookID from the "2. Recommended Books" sheet for each book. In future, I may make it little more simpler.

My advice to you if i may is, if you are feeling too overwhelmed at the moment maybe by taking a short break from the reading, doing other things in the meantime, things you like to do will help you process in the background the emotional roller-coaster you're going through at the moment.
I also thought about that; I´ll finish Bridgertons and move my focus for a while (I anyway have other books to finish... ;-) ).

If you may recall, Gurdjieff has said that people will get rid of anything they have except suffering. We love to suffer; to wallow in our suffering. However, this realization to be such a horrible person, if prolonged, can be just the other side of the coin of self-importance. For we are making it all about us, once again. "Oh, nobody is so horrible a person as I am." "Oh, look how much I am suffering as I realized I am a horrible person." And on and on....

The thing is, once we realize how badly we have treated others and to acknowledge it, we need to do as, I think it was, the Pressmans in The Narcissistic Family said and put these thoughts and realizations into their own box and label it as Bad Things I Did to Others, or whatever you feel is appropriate. Then, let them go so that you can move back into the Present. For if we live in the past, we can't really be in the present. And, if we're not in the present, then we can't move into the future, or so I think.
Yes and thank you for reminding me! I needed a cool shower...
I thought I´ve crossed that bridge, but obviously not and it just hit me hard...
I do remember those boxes and I´m thinking now about how is all nice to read a book, but I must also remember to apply the knowledge from what I´ve read.

Thank you very much @Andrian and @Nienna for your replies and support!!! :flowers:

Yes, it good to be able to see things we did wrongly in the past and to acknowledge them and realize how we have hurt others. But, don't let that keep you in the past. I've had that problem, too, and have mostly gotten free of it.

I'm not saying to forget all about what you have discovered about yourself, but to just put it away so that it doesn't hinder you from living. It will be there so that it can remind you if you're falling back into negative ways....just don't live there. :hug:
And when you / we understand the "why" we did those bad things, forgiveness comes.

With the programming that we had, could we really have "acted" differently?

Perhaps, at this time we can "see" it and it will be lessons learned.

And ... how many times have we reacted as we really are, despite the enormous social and family programming?

Many, many times.

We are who we are and many people have managed to find out.

Someone very wise said ..., that all there is, are lessons!

And another person said something that I really like: "He who is free from sin, cast the first stone!:hug2:

J'ai terminé le tome 2 "Séduire un Séducteur" de la série La légende des 4 soldats de Elizabeth HOYT
J'ai eu un peu de mal a entrer dans cette série avec le tome 1 mais avec le tome 2, c'est fait...
Je viens de commencer le tome 3 "Le Reclus" de la même série et du même auteur...
Je suis complètement accro des livres que Laura nous fait découvrir, je n'en ai plus qu'un d'avance, j'en ai commandé 7 autres mais je ne les ai pas encore reçus... Je lis en ce moment un livre tous les 2 jours...

I have finished volume 2 "Seducing a Seducer" of the series The Legend of the 4 Soldiers by Elizabeth HOYT
I had a bit of trouble getting into this series with volume 1 but with volume 2, it's done...
I just started the third volume "The Reclus" of the same series and the same author ...
I am completely addicted to the books that Laura makes us discover, I have only one more in advance, I ordered 7 others but I haven't received them yet... I am currently reading a book every 2 days...

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

This project took a different turn on me.

I see it was always there in the back of my head but I pushed it back, and I think that reading the discussion here on this thread (cca 20 pages back) opened this realization further and now it is all I can see...
Scanning for reasons of my behavior - "I should have been better than that!", "Why didn´t I ....", "It´s xxx fault...", "It's my fault.....", "How to forgive yourself?", "How to forgive others?", "How to move on?" - that is all I can think of.

Then I think about how I'm failing - instead of opening up to something beautiful and true, I´m stuck in this loop, only to admit to myself that it was, in fact, always there.

Ironically, I realized I have less patience for stupid and self-pity form others; and again feel like a hypocrite since I´m doing exactly the same thing just not out loud!!

I´ve re-read the discussion again and thank you all for contributing.
Much to work on....
I understand I think Mari
Just keep going, what helps me is to apologise in my mind to people I have hurt, then stop thinking about myself. Actually just stop and look for the closest productive thought or thing I can do. And if that same guilt comes up again, I apologise again and also make sure I think about what I learned and how I would handle the situation now or not get into the same situation. And have found the guilt and shame doesn’t come back again.
Sometimes the ‘reading project’ pulls me in too much and I need to balance it with the ‘doing life well project’.

Thanks for the reminder Nienna. I've been feeling kind of stuck in a loop like Mari (thanks for sharing, Mari) and experiencing quite negative emotions. I thought I had a pretty good handle on my anger and other shameful emotions like hatred, guilt, self-hatred or shame, that I was able (or so I thought) to view past relationships and past hurts "from a distance", but it's coming back to me again, as if I haven't really processed and digested it all properly - especially my relationship with that guy who (externally) shared some of James Purnell's traits (Dell series) back when I was 18. When I view it from a distance, it's "OK" ("water under the bridge" and all that), but when I revisit it and reexperience the hurt as the girl I was, I feel stuck and can't let go, partly because I never really understood why he acted the way he did and why, at such a young age, when I was still naive and clueless, I "chose" to fall in love with that guy.
I need to find a balance, not to view myself as all victim, and him all guilty. It's hard - because I was still kind of "innocent" (or I choose to remember myself as such?!). Maybe I need to accept that he was "just a guy" (even if somewhat disturbed), that it was just a lesson, an experience, and that though I'll never know, he probably too had emotional baggage and wounds and his behaviour had nothing, or not much, to do with me. If I had been older, more assertive, less weak, more communicative, more independent, more this, less that… If, if, etc. It would be too easy to blame it all on him, since the bad choices I made later, when I was supposed to know better, were my own responsibility. Maybe, if I hadn't known him, I'd still have made bad choices and behaved like a shallow and self-absorbed girl. A sobering thought.
It's funny, because when telling it like this, it doesn't sound like such a big deal (I was not raped or physically abused) but it's been rather difficult for me to write (and post). It's difficult to integrate/accept that whatever happened, whatever was said or done (by both parties), how I choose to view that lesson is my responsibility. I can wallow in self-pity and anger, remain stuck in the past, getting nowhere. Or I can integrate the lesson, forgive myself and him, and move on. Sure, I can't deny it's still a big deal to me, even after all this time. I realize, reading those books and reflecting, that it is still probably colouring my view of men and relationships as something that essentially should make one suffer (not the right kind of suffering), and where people play mind games, manipulate, constantly blow hot and cold, despise, etc. In such "relationships", you're either the victim, or the torturer (or both in turns). I dare to think that that particular lesson has been learned, even if the girl I was (and who is still in there, somewhere) is still hurt.
I'll do the exercize with the boxes, it'll probably help. Much to ponder and digest, here. But, it DOES help writing about it. I feel somewhat lighter already.

Maybe as you keep reading, something will start really making sense. And perhaps having a personal thread where you can share more? It can always help other people too!
Well yes it has become the realisation of not
Men can’t love but is now the clear self belief of men can’t love me.

So now it’s back to the very simple thing of looking and doing the things in front of me that improves who and how I live and what I contribute. I can’t overthink it, it would be a self indulgence to wallow in it without doing something productive.
It sure does require thinking, decisions, and actual action that goes against our programming.
Like jumping into a cold pool, the fear of feeling cold shock, sometimes feeling needs to be put aside in order to accomplish something, even small things, that become yard sticks. Hey me, look at yourself, you achieved this, you did something worthwhile.
thanks for the audience everyone. I know I’m posting a lot about my own processing this year and it feels a bit indulgent but not feeling very qualified to do much else. I’m expecting that may come later, being able to contribute more to others in the forum.

I've been thinking for a long time about whether I'm internally settled enough to be able to read romantic books. It used to be a constant in my life - romantic literature. At some point I realized that it strengthened in me my already very dominant emotion side. The result was the adoption of foreign emotions of any form, which also influenced my life outwardly. I could not separate myself and my own personality dissolved. Assumption of identity. It took many years until I was able to separate "me" from "the other". It was a complete dissolution. When I was able to separate mind from emotion and use both as needed, I realized that I had to be very mindful of what literature I read and in what personal state. For the last few years, I have been avoiding this type of literature because I can feel for myself how easily I sink back into this world of emotion. Fortunately, through my profession I have an incredible amount of input as far as stories and narratives of people are concerned. A great gift in my life. All books have given me direction, encouraged me to reflect and offered me solutions. Today, every story of a patient is for me a book from life with all its facets. Very much sad - very much touching - very much to think about.

I think you are missing some of the main points of the exercise, one of which is to engage the sex center to raise the energy for utilization.

Also, the shortcomings of these stories has been laid out pretty clearly so don't expect what isn't there. Reading Georgette Heyer will not do for you what these books will.

Since Laura mentioned it in her first post on this thread, I've submitted a request for it to be added to the list. I read it too, and I liked it (despite the anachronisms and the writing being no match for Balogh… but still, the story was engaging and emotional and portrayed good values IMO).
I added 2 authors books and added to the Form.
BookIDAuthorSeriesBook #Book Name
189Amalie HowardThe Regency Rogues1The Beast of Beswick
190Amalie HowardThe Regency Rogues2The Rakehell of Roth
187Stacy ReidSinful Wallflowers Series1My Darling Duke
188Stacy ReidSinful Wallflowers Series2Her Wicked Marquess

I noticed the same about a few others which I read at the very beginning (like The Quiet Gentleman, My darling Duke, etc, mentioned on her first post), but that are not on the list. I think that's okay, since those were the first ones she read and got the whole thing started. Not sure which ones she would still recommend among those. But the list we've got is pretty good!
I am sorry, I am confused. This is the list I get from searching through the thread. I can add it, if that is ok.

Thank you for sharing, jess. :flowers: After reading your post above about Mary Balogh's Heartless and Gaby's spoiler I noticed that my resistance to this novel was building, so I took a step back for a couple of days, although on some level I probably knew that it is best if I do read it, even if I don't want to go there. Grace Burrowes's The Laird was already a hard read for me at times, it deals with child sexual abuse of both sexes, but I did finish it and now I am glad I did! It's like taking a hurdle and then looking back at the hurdle from the other side, knowing we came through and able to process some events to some extent described in these novels. So, I just ordered Heartless and Silent Melody and after reading them I may switch to Julia Quinn, as Gaby suggested.

I agree that it is important that we can laugh as well. That's the reason why I could read Elisa Braden's novels, because I think she is very funny, even though her stories are quite harrowing.
Thanks Mariama :flowers: your comments are valuable to me, I feel a little behind in readings and knowledge of the work, but my some life experience and inner being drives me to learn from all you.

An apology if this comment is a bit towards the edges of the readings, but, it just makes a lot of noise to me who say they don't have time to read or are not attracted to the readings. It's sad.
Personally I have seen that it has been a transformative process, and like any other area, it does not take a scholar to know that if there is no effort nothing is achieved either, I have felt that the important thing is what we decide, our will in what we decide that are weaving the bridges to bring us closer or away from the spiritual source.

Maybe it is somewhat like "assigned" reading. But remember, participation is by choice. There are the books that are listed as part of the project, and you can read them in any order you like though reading series together is highly recommended for your own enjoyment. You can read them as fast or slow as you like.

It's not much different than other reading projects where a book or books are named as the center of a project, many read them, and participate in the discussion.

No. I think you will have to read the thread. No pain, no gain. There is no real shortcut except that this project does, in a way, appear to be something of a shortcut of another kind.

Thank you.

I got very lucky, "Heartless" came up fairly recently!
Living your life in fear of dreadful secrets being exposed, constantly avoiding anything resembling commitment, cutting and running when your nightmares catch up to you, pursuing hedonism as a proxy for anything of substance? Possibly finding connection, over time? The healing of knowing that you can let your past be at ease and move on, having found love?
I needed that release.

Back
Top Bottom