Romantic Fiction, Reality Shaping and The Work

Hi Redrock12, fwiw, in a thread such as this there will most likely be some 'tongue in cheek', as genero81 has said. Truth be told, I mentioned my reading to a couple of male friends - there was a emphasized pause :umm: in their response, yeah well, it is helping with my covid-blues, I said. On the other hand, my partner has a line-up of lady friends next in line for the books she is reading :-). No male friends have asked to get on the list, though :lol:.

Had finished the last of the Huxtable's, and perhaps it was the culmination of each book to the end, however near the end when issues were solved and love prevailed, like the authors often used words, I became like a darn watering pot.
I almost finished Survivor's series. one more book left.
As mentioned seek10, there are those two books that kind of knit into the Survivor series, if interested. One of those builds similarly to what Imogen had suffered in war.

I finished the fifth book of The Survivor's Club: Only a Promise. It was probably my favorite of the series so far. The internal monologues about guilt and numbness to immunize the self against pain, and the fears we have in our heads about what some people must think of us, really touched me. The in-your-face consequences about running away from your fears were quite visceral and instructive, and you can see how lives were turned around when people turned and faced their fears head on.

Chloe's close attendance and support to Ralph when he spoke with the parents of the comrade he lost, and Ralph's support of Chloe to face up to her real father and confront the family she feared to approach and meet in public during The Season were extremely admirable, and I could really feel for and empathize with the characters. I would say Ralph was most strongly affected, and was able to come out of his shell of guilt and shame and numbness only because Chloe was able to set an example and face her own fears.

I finished Horseman trilogy by M. Balog.

First book with Catherine and Rex was a bumpy ride. I liked Catherine´s strong-minded persona and had split feelings about Rex. But he has grown on me. :-)

But if first one was a bumpy ride, then second one was not only bumpy, but breaking-the-wheels-in-6ft-deep-snow-with-blizzard bumpy ride. :nuts:
These two (Moira and Kenneth) were "Devils Web" level of messed up people and was painful to read. I didn´t cry, though.... 🤷‍♀️
The lies, the deceits, no inch of compromise, non spoken things that burry things more and more... :-(
It was to me best book in the series.

The third book was tense, and Sophie and Nat story was very tangled and they were an interesting couple, but I´m sorry that there wasn´t more in the story about Lavinia and Ede.

Now off to Survivor´s series; reading the reviews here now, looks like I´ll have a bumpy ride...

Truth be told, I mentioned my reading to a couple of male friends - there was a emphasized pause :umm: in their response, yeah well, it is helping with my covid-blues, I said. On the other hand, my partner has a line-up of lady friends next in line for the books she is reading :-). No male friends have asked to get on the list, though :lol:.

I was thinking that it wouldn't be impossible for a male to write romantic fiction and I can think of one or two that I reckon could do a fair job of it, but they'd probably have to publish under a female pseudonym to sell the books and to be taken seriously. On the same note, I wonder how many men in the general population secretly read them?

I was thinking that it wouldn't be impossible for a male to write romantic fiction and I can think of one or two that I reckon could do a fair job of it, but they'd probably have to publish under a female pseudonym to sell the books and to be taken seriously. On the same note, I wonder how many men in the general population secretly read them?
Well (curiosity), looked, and here are the 15 Best Romance Novels by Male Authors to Read. Hmm, and no slight to the brothers here, yet something might not fit so well, and yet maybe they do a fine job. Here is a quote:

And believe me, romance is women's fiction. Male authors who write romance novels are encouraged to publish under female psuedonyms to help their sales numbers — making romance the only corner of the industry that doesn't have women writing under male names.

Second question is included in the quote link: 16% male - 84% female readership (non-binaries not included).

There was an ad that came up on Romance novels for inexpensive priced books, so thumbed through them, and most were all modern-age related. Has anyone read one? Something about romance novels in the modern-age seems at odds with the 1800's, unless perhaps the geography is just right.

I was thinking that it wouldn't be impossible for a male to write romantic fiction and I can think of one or two that I reckon could do a fair job of it, but they'd probably have to publish under a female pseudonym...

Funny you should say that (and no disrespect or aversions intended) but having been told many times that, among other things, my 'Gaydar' is appalling - which I've always just put down to being unable to care less - happened to be embarrassingly confirmed, in a round about way, about 2 books into the SOS series, having come to the conclusion that Anna Campbell must have been a bloke...finding out then that not only was I mistaken but she was Australian too!!

So much for stereotypical thought on my behalf...:-[

A few months back Laura astral projected before me. In a apartment in Spokane. I was with older Russian woman. I clearly witness you sitting in chair perhaps your study room and there looking back at me no words spoken. I was wide awake this occured in morning. The night before while I was sleeping in the higher realms of some dimension alone you where sitting in this beautiful calming mosaic of a bluish white queenish if you will, setting. Upright you were sitting facing out behind this escritoire writing desk. The background has glimmering reasoning. The setting was ornamental as if of high Noble and away. I do not know how you perceived me. I walked slowly and at quiteness. I made walk through simultaneously. One curved half 180 degree at the same moment I came directly down the middle as if to reflect mirror as young man. In this same night I witness also another setting you where with the stones at sitting, one tall candle on Stone table and completely dark otherwise. I made same walk as young man half curve around. On both higher dimension or horizontal dimension Laura Knight Jadczyk is/ was observing. Now these words don't articulate. If the memory has not come to you. Might have been February maybe March. Anyway I wanted this to be communicated.

@Laura - oh dear, this is a bot. Very naughty!

:phaser:

Recently, I watched a documentary called "Love between Covers", because we are reading lot of books from the genre. It is a typical mainstream documentary with different author interviews with their considerations, pain points ( not much credit was given to these authors, because they are woman :huh:), fan clubs, publishers control issues, audience expectations ( "Happy Ever After"), perspective author conferences etc. Only one author ( Eliosa James) from ur list exist in the documentary.
  • They say romance novels are mainly produced by women for Women.
  • There are many sub-genre exist like black romance, gay romance, and so on.
  • This is a multi billion dollar mass material producing industry( Largest of all publishing) and every body who wants to survive writing this has to produce at least 2 books a year. Nora Roberts wrote 240 books had 400 million readers.
  • Now, a day lot of romance authors write and self-publish, but the product quality is doubtful and they dont even use editors. But, from Laura's opening post in this thread there is some good material exist in self-publish category too.

What I found disappointing with the documentary is that there is not so much mention of research in creating the material. I felt it is better to stick to recommended list.

You can add Julia Quinn's "Bridgerton" series of books to the list.

Book 1: The Duke and I
Book 2: The Viscount Who Loved Me
Book 3: An Offer From A Gentleman
Book 4: Romancing Mr. Bridgerton
Book 5: To Sir Phillip, With Love
Book 6: When He Was Wicked
Book 7: It’s In His Kiss
Book 8: On The Way to the Wedding

However, there is a set of Prequels to the above that might be read before the Bridgerton series in order to have them in chronological order:

Because of Miss Bridgerton

The Girl With the Make Believe Husband

The Other Miss Bridgerton

First Comes Scandal

Actually, the first book of this set/series that I sampled was "The Other Miss Bridgerton".

She was in the wrong place...

Fiercely independent and adventurous, Poppy Bridgerton will only wed a suitor whose keen intellect and interests match her own. Sadly, none of the fools from her London season qualify. While visiting a friend on the Dorset coast, Poppy is pleasantly surprised to discover a smugglers' hideaway tucked inside a cave. But her delight turns to dismay when two pirates kidnap her and take her aboard a ship, leaving her bound and gagged on the captain's bed...

He found her at the wrong time...

Known to society as a rascal and reckless privateer, Captain Andrew James Rokesby actually transports essential goods and documents for the British government. Setting sail on a time-sensitive voyage to Portugal, he's stunned to find a woman waiting for him in his cabin. Surely, his imagination is getting the better of him. But no, she is very real-and his duty to the Crown means he's stuck with her.

It was quite adventurous and I liked that. All of them are not, but they do all have good dialogue and plenty of humor.

Another from this author with a slight overlap with the Bridgerton characters is "The Secrets of Sir Richard Kenworthy." This is apparently one of a set, the "Smythe-Smith Quartet", but I haven't read the others.

You can add Julia Quinn's "Bridgerton" series of books to the list.

Book 1: The Duke and I
Book 2: The Viscount Who Loved Me
Book 3: An Offer From A Gentleman
Book 4: Romancing Mr. Bridgerton
Book 5: To Sir Phillip, With Love
Book 6: When He Was Wicked
Book 7: It’s In His Kiss
Book 8: On The Way to the Wedding
I updated the sheet. It looks Netflix is releasing a series with the same name. The trailer has scenes of gay sex, a black hero and a white woman. I am not sure whether these are common in high society during that era. I have to wonder whether this is another rewriting of history.

Well thanks
Rolae, have you ever been diagnosed with a learning disability? You say English is your first language, however, most people here (if not all), are completely at a loss when reading your posts. Your syntax/grammar is completely incomprehensible. One might actually think that your posts are composed by some kind of computer that randomly generates word strings from triggered categories. I would say that if you can't do any better than that, this forum is not for you.
Thank you I didn't have this kind of feedback when I was in school. When I go to transmit information I usually don't think of words although in most cases I do. I usually feel the thought meaning of what I want to express and find the words or word in dictionary to best describe/ or fill the meaning into written or typed application or simply to paper. I will type much less in communication as to avoid so many grammar error's or misspellings. Hurts the eyes make wrinkles in facial expressions if you ever read any thing in my hand writing. I certainly was not the star child of the classrooms when growing up in schools. Taken me a few days and nights to put myself in the readers perspective to figure a response to your question. ,🙂

I updated the sheet. It looks Netflix is releasing a series with the same name. The trailer has scenes of gay sex, a black hero and a white woman. I am not sure whether these are common in high society during that era. I have to wonder whether this is another rewriting of history.

It's obviously re-writing and I think we should ignore it.

Back
Top Bottom