Session 20 June 2009

It's handy to have the sessions in print, although the .exe is an excellent way of searching through the transcripts for a keyword. The sessions on the database go till 2002, are there any plans to include the 2002- to date sessions in that database as well? And if so, can forum members help with this in anyway?

Arwenn said:
It's handy to have the sessions in print, although the .exe is an excellent way of searching through the transcripts for a keyword. The sessions on the database go till 2002, are there any plans to include the 2002- to date sessions in that database as well? And if so, can forum members help with this in anyway?

Would you show me how the .exe application can be searched using keywords please Arwenn? I was under the impression that it can't be, which is why I spent 5 hours creating the searchable .doc file. Am I missing something?

Paddyjohn said:
Would you show me how the .exe application can be searched using keywords please Arwenn? I was under the impression that it can't be, which is why I spent 5 hours creating the searchable .doc file. Am I missing something?

When I downloaded the sessions file from the cass chat group, it comes up as an .exe file extension, which when I open it up, comes up with the introduction and the transcripts by date, and some tabs up the top such as Back, Home (which takes one to the Introductory page), Search and Print. So it appears to have an in-built search engine. I wish I could take a screen shot of this to show you but my old windows computer won't let me. I hope this is of some help.

Arwenn said:
Paddyjohn said:

When I downloaded the sessions file from the cass chat group, it comes up as an .exe file extension, which when I open it up, comes up with the introduction and the transcripts by date, and some tabs up the top such as Back, Home (which takes one to the Introductory page), Search and Print. So it appears to have an in-built search engine. I wish I could take a screen shot of this to show you but my old windows computer won't let me. I hope this is of some help.

The 'search transcripts' facility in non-functional for the reason explained by Palinurus in his earlier post on page 25 of this thread:

Since that website contains the archived transcripts from 1994-2002, it sort of figures that its search function is no longer active because it is a repository and nothing more than that. Its main function is that you can click a date and read that particular session on line and/or copy it as a download.

Would you need a search-able database, you should make a doc.file, a word.file or a PDF file of all of them first. In order to do that you have to right click every date and choose Save as from the drop down menu and collect all the downloads at an appropriate place on your own computer. Thereafter you can convert and merge them into a search-able file in the format of your liking.

You can search within a session but that is obviously very limiting unless you are looking for a particular thing and you know what session contains it. With the .docfile, containing all the sessions from 94-02, you can run far more comprehensive searches. For example, in light of current events I ran a search for 'Russia' - several results came up from across the sessions that prove enlightening. To run the same search, and bring the results together for analysis, within individual sessions, would take hours.

I am looking forward to post-2002 sessions being available to be added to the .docfile.

Saša said:
Paddyjohn said:
davey72 said:
I hate to state the obvious here, as i'm sure i am missing something, but can you split it into more than one document instead?

That would kinda defeat the object of having one resource within which we can run searches in the transcripts.

Maybe compress it?
Anyway, thank you for the all-in-one doc file. :flowers:

Here are (attached) the sessions.exe (had to compress it to zip file to be able to upload it here) and sessions.zip files from casschat files section.
The exe file works under Ubuntu (Linux) with the help of Wine (which opens almost all Windows based files). The zip file contains the C's sessions in html format, which can be opened with usual web browser (Firefox, Chrome, ...).
And third one is Paddyjohn's doc file also compressed as a zip file.

edit: Compressed Paddyjohn's doc file to zip and attached it to this post.n

Thank You, SaSa for the Zip links. Just had the opportunity to utilize them. Much appreciated. :D

And Many thanks too The Chateau Crew, and the C's, for the many years of session's, that made all this possible. K.P.I.E. :thup:

Paddyjohn said:
The 'search transcripts' facility in non-functional for the reason explained by Palinurus in his earlier post on page 25 of this thread:

Since that website contains the archived transcripts from 1994-2002, it sort of figures that its search function is no longer active because it is a repository and nothing more than that. Its main function is that you can click a date and read that particular session on line and/or copy it as a download.

Would you need a search-able database, you should make a doc.file, a word.file or a PDF file of all of them first. In order to do that you have to right click every date and choose Save as from the drop down menu and collect all the downloads at an appropriate place on your own computer. Thereafter you can convert and merge them into a search-able file in the format of your liking.

You can search within a session but that is obviously very limiting unless you are looking for a particular thing and you know what session contains it. With the .docfile, containing all the sessions from 94-02, you can run far more comprehensive searches. For example, in light of current events I ran a search for 'Russia' - several results came up from across the sessions that prove enlightening. To run the same search, and bring the results together for analysis, within individual sessions, would take hours.

I am looking forward to post-2002 sessions being available to be added to the .docfile.

OK, thanks for the heads-up Paddyjohn. I'm certainly not the tech-iest of people, I thought I was doing so great just to download the file! Searching the .exe file brings up all the sessions containing that keyword which is highlighted in the session, but to have a more advanced search function would be great. Thank you so much for your time spent uploading the .doc file, and of course to Laura and crew for the sessions.

Paddyjohn said:
Arwenn said:

Well, the Search function in sessions.exe file works for me just fine. It gives the list of all the sessions where searched keyword appears, and highlights the keyword within the selected session.
Check the attached screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    390 KB · Views: 181
Saša said:
Well, the Search function in sessions.exe file works for me just fine. It gives the list of all the sessions where searched keyword appears, and highlights the keyword within the selected session.
Check the attached screenshot.

That's exactly what I get too, as I mentioned in my post above. It would be great to have the later sessions uploaded too. Maybe the mods can chime in here with their thoughts?

Paddyjohn said:
Arwenn said:
Paddyjohn said:

Arwenn is talking about the files from casschat, as she said. If you look at Sasa's screenshot, you will see what she is talking about. She is not talking about what Palinurus was talking about.

Did you download the files from casschat? If so, you should have noticed what Arwenn is talking about.

Nienna said:
Paddyjohn said:
Arwenn said:
Paddyjohn said:

Arwenn is talking about the files from casschat, as she said. If you look at Sasa's screenshot, you will see what she is talking about. She is not talking about what Palinurus was talking about.

Did you download the files from casschat? If so, you should have noticed what Arwenn is talking about.

So was there actually any benefit to be gained by creating the .doc file?

Yes I did look at Sasa's screenshot and have tried using the sessions.exe file she uploaded. This is the very same one I reported about originally. The 'search transcripts' button takes me to the home page of The Cassiopaean Experiment website. It doesn't produce search results at all.

Perhaps it works for some users and not others - different operating systems perhaps. I am on Windows 7, and it does not work for me. I just tried it again with no success. This is why I created the .docfile as suggested by palinurus.

As it stands, and going by Arwenn's information (thanks Arwenn) those who it does work for still have to open individual sessions to get at their results. So unless there is any resource that is a single document with search facility, apart from ctranscript.doc, then I guess I can answer my own question as to any benefit from it.

But, and I apologise if this is the case, I am missing the point here, please let me know.

Paddyjohn said:
So was there actually any benefit to be gained by creating the .doc file?

Yes I did look at Sasa's screenshot and have tried using the sessions.exe file she uploaded. This is the very same one I reported about originally. The 'search transcripts' button takes me to the home page of The Cassiopaean Experiment website. It doesn't produce search results at all.

Perhaps it works for some users and not others - different operating systems perhaps. I am on Windows 7, and it does not work for me. I just tried it again with no success. This is why I created the .docfile as suggested by palinurus.

As it stands, and going by Arwenn's information (thanks Arwenn) those who it does work for still have to open individual sessions to get at their results. So unless there is any resource that is a single document with search facility, apart from ctranscript.doc, then I guess I can answer my own question as to any benefit from it.

But, and I apologise if this is the case, I am missing the point here, please let me know.

From what I understand, Sasa, and some others went to the link I provided https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/casschat/files that goes directly into the files section of casschat. They downloaded the files for the sessions and came up with the same version I have. You have to join casschat first so that it will allow you to download them. Apparently it does not work on Macs.

Did you go to that location to download the files?

I'll paste here the relevant posts in the thread, Nienna, as that might keep it clearer.

Palinurus: 20 March 2014, 17:33:18 »

Hi Paddyjohn,

Nienna: 25 March 2014, 11:46:38 »

Okey doke. So I guess just back to the link to download the sessions from the Casschat files section, in which you first have to join casschat, which is a public forum, in order to download the sessions.
Added: casschat is no longer being used, it was decided to just use this forum instead. Does anyone know if you can still become a member of casschat since it is no longer in use?
« Last Edit: 25 March 2014, 11:49:45 by Nienna »

Paddyjohn:
25 March 2014, 18:33:26 »

Yes, I became a memberjust now
[casschat]. Am half way through downloading sessions to word file. It's time consuming, so if anyone would like a copy of mine when I complete it in around an hour please let me know.

SeekinTruth:

I'd be interested in a copy and it's probably best to attach it here for anyone to read without having to go through the downloading you did. Also save it as .doc file instead of .docx before attaching so people with older versions of Word can access it. Thanks.

Hope you can shed some light. I think there is some confusion about what can be searched, as well as the types of search that can be performed.

Paddyjohn: 25 March 2014, 18:33:26 »
Yes, I became a memberjust now [casschat]. Am half way through downloading sessions to word file. It's time consuming, so if anyone would like a copy of mine when I complete it in around an hour please let me know.

Hope you can shed some light. I think there is some confusion about what can be searched, as well as the types of search that can be performed.

Hi Paddyjohn,

I think the basic difference between your activities and those of others is the format you chose while downloading the sessions from casschat one by one, i.e. a doc.file in Word. The search function of a Word document is different and maybe more limited.

The others have downloaded the sessions.exe file or the sessions.zip file from casschat as a bulk format in one go, which has a built in search function that works fine as a stand alone. That search function is basically the same as the one on the archive website which no longer works for the reasons previously stated, but in the casschat bulk files it still works fine.

The way I see it, you misunderstood the need for a word format and taking the sessions one by one when downloading from the casschat site. That need only applied when downloading from the archive website. I presented downloading the sessions.exe file as an alternative method to manually downloading one by one from the archive website if you would recall. You seem to have overlooked the difference.

Hope this clears up your confusion.

You could also download the sessions. exe file to have a closer look; you might even compare the doc file and the exe file to see which one you prefer working with in the future.

As for the transcripts of the sessions after 2002 (see: Cassiopaean Session Transcripts by date) those are searchable with the forum search function. Would one like to have all those added to the doc file, then one should download/copy each session transcript one by one from its thread here and add/merge them into the existing doc file; or create a second exe file from them and merge that with the existing one. All rather time consuming and maybe not worthwhile...

The best possible solution maybe would be an authenticated publication of all session transcripts in a searchable format like a CD-ROM or something, by Laura herself and company -- but that doesn't seem likely at the moment.

Palinurus said:
Paddyjohn: 25 March 2014, 18:33:26 »
Yes, I became a memberjust now [casschat]. Am half way through downloading sessions to word file. It's time consuming, so if anyone would like a copy of mine when I complete it in around an hour please let me know.

Hi Paddyjohn,

I think the basic difference between your activities and those of others is the format you chose while downloading the sessions from casschat one by one, i.e. a doc.file in Word. The search function of a Word document is different and maybe more limited.

The others have downloaded the sessions.exe file or the sessions.zip file from casschat as a bulk format in one go, which has a built in search function that works fine as a stand alone. That search function is basically the same as the one on the archive website which no longer works for the reasons previously stated, but in the casschat bulk files it still works fine.

The way I see it, you misunderstood the need for a word format and taking the sessions one by one when downloading from the casschat site. That need only applied when downloading from the archive website. I presented downloading the sessions.exe file as an alternative method to manually downloading one by one from the archive website if you would recall. You seem to have overlooked the difference.

Hope this clears up your confusion.

You could also download the sessions. exe file to have a closer look; you might even compare the doc file and the exe file to see which one you prefer working with in the future.

As for the transcripts of the sessions after 2002 (see: Cassiopaean Session Transcripts by date) those are searchable with the forum search function. Would one like to have all those added to the doc file, then one should download/copy each session transcript one by one from its thread here and add/merge them into the existing doc file; or create a second exe file from them and merge that with the existing one. All rather time consuming and maybe not worthwhile...

The best possible solution maybe would be an authenticated publication of all session transcripts in a searchable format like a CD-ROM or something, by Laura herself and company -- but that doesn't seem likely at the moment.

Sessions.exe, the one you presented as an alternative, the same one uploaded by Sasa, doesn't perform any search at all for me, except from within an individual session. But it's actually not important now. Yes, I was probably a little confused regarding the different formats. I am happy with the search capabilities of the doc file, so there's no need for me to find out why sessions.exe doesn't work for me.

It's just great to be able to search those transcripts. And it will be even greater when we are able to include those post-02 sessions, in whatever media is chosen, and whenever that might happen.

Thanks, Palinurus.

Thanks again for the Word document. It is helpful, as the sessions.exe will only search the first "hit" when you type in a word. It will show the transcripts and then the first word found is the only one highlighted. I tried it with words that I knew were in sessions more than once, for instance "sun".

I'm using Windows 7 by the way. The word document allows you to search for all results of a word.

Back
Top Bottom