Session 24 October 2009

Perceval said:
Ben said:
I am trying to find a quick and convenient but filling breakfast to replace cereal with milk, I don't have much time in the morning but I get so hungry if I skip it. Bananas seemed perfect but now it seems that might not be a good idea.

buckwheat flakes with rice milk!

btw ben, is your avatar a puppy with a goat or sheep's head??

I've found some organic rice milk today and a gluten free cereal made from corn, quinoa and amaranth so I'm going to give them a try.

Yes, my avatar is a goat dog. It's from a website called humandescent.com which has loads of these creations, a lot of them make me laugh and that one is my favourite.

Rabelais said:
Then there was that slogan, "Wonder Bread helps build strong bodies 12 ways." Sheesh! Generations were/are raised on pastuerized milk, "fortified" bleached flour and fluoridated tap water, by parents who were/are programmed to think that this is in the best interests of their children. Its a miracle that anyone is still left functional. Throw in cradle to grave vaccinations and you get a "zombie nation", which seems to be where we are at today.

Yeah, I can remember coming home from school with a handout on "nutrition" which said that Frosted Flakes cereal and Wonder bread was nutritious because it was "fortified." My mom, who insisted on mostly natural foods, had a good laugh at that, and continued to serve plain oats and fruit for breakfast, much to my dismay at the time. Now I know I was darn lucky that she wasn't taken in by that particular lie.

Ben said:
Perceval said:
Ben said:
I am trying to find a quick and convenient but filling breakfast to replace cereal with milk, I don't have much time in the morning but I get so hungry if I skip it. Bananas seemed perfect but now it seems that might not be a good idea.

buckwheat flakes with rice milk!

btw ben, is your avatar a puppy with a goat or sheep's head??

I've found some organic rice milk today and a gluten free cereal made from corn, quinoa and amaranth so I'm going to give them a try.

Yes, my avatar is a goat dog. It's from a website called humandescent.com which has loads of these creations, a lot of them make me laugh and that one is my favourite.

You might want to be careful with the corn, it is also on the "evil" list.

shar wrote :I'm like a junkie. Cry
so true...we were all raised to be gluten/lactose/sugar junkies...even the C s mentioned that we have to go '' cold turkey'' to get results only there is no gluten rehab clinics to book in we have to do it ourselves
self testing as mentioned here http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=14552.0 is great to find what foods one is sensitive to
and the home candida test too
Free Candida Test
The source of this test is unknown but it has been around a long time and is quite reliable in the diagnosis of Candida albicans overgrowth.
It is known as the Candida saliva test or the Candida spit test.

Fill a clear glass with water and place it by your bed at night. When you wake in the morning, work up a bit of saliva and spit into the glass of water. It is important that nothing enters your mouth or touches your lips before you do this. Do not drink any water, do not brush your teeth and do not kiss your partner. I'm sure they will understand just this one time!

Immediately make note of how the saliva looks. Check again 2 or 3 minutes later. Check the glass every 15 minutes until you leave for the day.

Saliva Candida Test
Saliva Candida Test
Healthy saliva will be clear, it will float on top and it will slowly dissolve into the water without any cloudiness and without sinking. There are normally some bubbles or foam present.

Candida saliva will have one or more characteristics that point to a Candida albicans overgrowth:

* Strings traveling down to the bottom of the glass
* Cloudy saliva that sinks to the bottom of the glass
* Cloudy specks suspended in the water

The more strings and cloudiness there are, and the faster it develops, the greater the Candida albicans overgrowth.

If your saliva shows signs of Candida overgrowth, head straight to the Candida treatments page to determine which treatment is best for you.

I wish I had known about these earlier
when I started the detox and went off gluten and milk/dairy , I did not know that I had candida and parasites and as a result a leaky gut.
so after 6 month of eating lots of almonds ,buckwheat,rice, pumpkin seeds etc. all the good things,I managed to get to have a blood/hair test to see what my heavy metal levels are at and what I am "officially'' allergic too.
as expected it showed wheat and oats but :( :( also all the new gluten free things I had been living on like almonds ,buckwheat,rice, pumpkin seeds ,sweet potato, mango!!,rocket!!....
because I have /had the leaky gut and did not deal with it first, my body has now developed allergies/intolerance for the ''new''foods :-[ :-[
at least I can have eggs (and I have chickens to lay them for me ,I even tried to feed them some seaweed powder to make 0mega 3 eggs...but they didn't like it)
but to get back to the junkie bit...once you're ''clean'' you will notice how what you use to think of as hunger is not your body asking for nutrients but your body/predator mind hanging for another opiate hit and the candida wanting a feed

I think I should be more precise on the subject of phytase, which I mentioned above.

According to the literature I found ideal working temperatures for phytase are in a range from 45 to 55°C.
Time needed for cracking of phytine:
Whole grain: 15 hrs
Rough-ground flour: 30-60 min

When boiling water is mixed with buckwheat flour the resulting temperature is about 65°C. The phytase can start working then, if one just lets it sit warm for some time. Cooking whole grains for longer time may be too much for this process. Buckwheat don't needs much cooking. A single dose of boiling water and some time does the job.

herondancer said:
hope that helps,

Herondancer

Hi Herondancer, it sure does! I have now been 2 days off sugar. I know, not a lot, but feels like a long time already... I'll check Stevia and Xylitol out, thanks!

rrraven said:
I wish I had known about these earlier
when I started the detox and went off gluten and milk/dairy , I did not know that I had candida and parasites and as a result a leaky gut.
so after 6 month of eating lots of almonds ,buckwheat,rice, pumpkin seeds etc. all the good things,I managed to get to have a blood/hair test to see what my heavy metal levels are at and what I am "officially'' allergic too.
as expected it showed wheat and oats but :( :( also all the new gluten free things I had been living on like almonds ,buckwheat,rice, pumpkin seeds ,sweet potato, mango!!,rocket!!....
because I have /had the leaky gut and did not deal with it first, my body has now developed allergies/intolerance for the ''new''foods :-[ :-[

Hmmm....I'm glad I just read your post rrraven, I have done the Candida test you quoted a few times already and in all, Candida was apparently present. I managed to cut everything that feeds Candida except for sugar (just cut it 2 days ago). I am now in the beginning of my quest for health, ordered a few supplements and will take it from there. But I am thinking that there is no point taking supplements or even eating healthily if you have a leaky gut, where what you need is not likely be really absorbed. From the reading that I have done in the Diet and Health section, basically you want to take some good probiotics to help bring back the good bacteria, and an anti fungal to help kill the candida. At the same time, following the Candida diet. I don't know if I am just simplifying it too much though...
I know that going to a doctor is probably the best option, but I am a bit tight in my expenses at the moment. I will buy a Full Fungal Screen plus Intestinal Parasites test (the results should also include some personalized recommendations) and do the rest on my own if possible.

In the meantime, I will be very grateful for any advice, am I on the right track or have I just simplified too much this issue with Candida and leaky gut?

I'd like to comment about nuts since we're on the topic of food. I just read last night about Laura saying that they are inflammatory. I've been eating them for snacks during my diet and detoxing. I kind of knew all along that they weren't any good, but I just kept lying to myself and eating them. I was never one to really pay attention to my body's signs, but I ate some last night and could feel a subtle "uneasiness" during this. I would also overeat them anyways. It's too bad, they were a nice snack. I especially like macadamia nuts with their slightly sweet taste. I'm wondering what would be a good snack that you can just pop them into your mouth now. Maybe something like dried vegetable chips? I know peanuts can have mold which will agitate candida, but since they are a legume, should they still be avoided? I've heard that soaking in ascorbic acid kills mold.

It looks like we shouldn't eat bananas either. I was planning on reintroducing fruits once I was done the detox/anti-candida dieting. But I guess I will stay away from bananas now.

3D Student said:
It looks like we shouldn't eat bananas either. I was planning on reintroducing fruits once I was done the detox/anti-candida dieting. But I guess I will stay away from bananas now.

Its my impression that bananas aren't on the blacklist, but are one of those foods that can be person-specific (like eggs), so you have to test to see if they affect you adversely or not. If I misunderstood, I'm sure someone will let me know.

Bananas are person and blood type specific, I'm Blood type A and bananas are a definite no-go area. I used to eat a lot of them before.

3D Student said:
I'd like to comment about nuts since we're on the topic of food. I just read last night about Laura saying that they are inflammatory. I've been eating them for snacks during my diet and detoxing. I kind of knew all along that they weren't any good, but I just kept lying to myself and eating them. I was never one to really pay attention to my body's signs, but I ate some last night and could feel a subtle "uneasiness" during this. I would also overeat them anyways. It's too bad, they were a nice snack. I especially like macadamia nuts with their slightly sweet taste. I'm wondering what would be a good snack that you can just pop them into your mouth now. Maybe something like dried vegetable chips? I know peanuts can have mold which will agitate candida, but since they are a legume, should they still be avoided? I've heard that soaking in ascorbic acid kills mold.

Please keep in mind that a lot of these foods are "blood-type specific". Others are things that people are either allergic to, or have a sensitivity too.

Walnuts, for instance, are very anti-inflammatory. Almonds are good for you. But not all people can eat them without problems.

The best way to see what types of food you are allergic to, or sensitive to, is to go on the UltraSimple Diet for a week - or longer if you can - and then slowly, one by one, reintroduce other foods back into your diet. It tells all about how to do it in the UltraSimple Diet book.

Great food suggestions everyone! I just caught up with this thread which has been good because I recently started to gradually better my eating habits. It's the one area I've been lazy in starting. More vegetables, brown rice, nuts. In particular focusing on foods with higher magnesium content, because I have raynouds syndrome, which, as stated in the Magnesium miracle thread, might be a sympton of magnesium deficiency.

rraven said:
but to get back to the junkie bit...once you're ''clean'' you will notice how what you use to think of as hunger is not your body asking for nutrients but your body/predator mind hanging for another opiate hit and the candida wanting a feed
I don't know if it's just me, but lately since I've been trying to eat healthier, I'm getting ridiculous cravings for food in general, in particular salty foods, like chips, sushi (even buckwheat crepes!!!) I've never craved food the way I have been these last few weeks.

DanielS said:
I don't know if it's just me, but lately since I've been trying to eat healthier, I'm getting ridiculous cravings for food in general, in particular salty foods, like chips, sushi (even buckwheat crepes!!!) I've never craved food the way I have been these last few weeks.

Sounds like you have a mineral deficiency and probably low on sodium and potassium at least. Are you using sea salt? Do you take a good quality multimineral supplement? What's your fruit and veggie intake like?

I went on the Ultra-Simple diet for a month before reintroducing any 'new' foods, one at a time with a three day gap in between, to check for any reaction, before introducing the next 'new' food' back into my diet. It seems to be working.

Odyssey said:
DanielS said:

Sounds like you have a mineral deficiency and probably low on sodium and potassium at least. Are you using sea salt? Do you take a good quality multimineral supplement? What's your fruit and veggie intake like?

Can also be a sign of adrenal fatigue. Should read "Treating and Beating Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue". http://store.drmurphreestore.com/trandbefiand.html

Trevrizent said:
I went on the Ultra-Simple diet for a month before reintroducing any 'new' foods, one at a time with a three day gap in between, to check for any reaction, before introducing the next 'new' food' back into my diet. It seems to be working.

That's great!

I've been on a diet very similar to the Ultra Simple diet for over a year now and, let me tell you, when I eat something that I'm sensitive to, it shows up almost immediately in various ways.

So it would seem that the longer you cleanse your body of food that you are sensitive to, the easier it is to see results.

If you really want to get off foods that are toxic to you, then I highly recommend the Ultra Simple diet.

fwiw

Back
Top Bottom