Session 24 October 2009

[quote author=Gawan]

But I can imagine Bedower, that it's like a sacred-cow, feels not good to be true, to take something off from diet what you really enjoy eating and drinking. In my case these are bananas, I'm struggling with it to take them off, to make a test myself, because right now it's easy and comfortable to stay with them.

[/quote]

Exactly - I have eaten a banana pretty much every day for years, usually before bed. It appears that I tolerate them well but I thought that they were positively good for me! Having said that, it will take some work to identify which foods I should avoid (other than the obvious evils) because I have no health problems apart from very occasional stomach cramps/bloating. I'm sure my mental state could be improved though as lack of serious problems does not indicate optimal state. As usual it's not an issue of lack of understanding for me but a lack of application...

Started taking detoxing seriously after 11/28 session. Inspired!

Yesterday on my way home from my part time job, I was so hungry. Had worked a bit later then usual and in the past my plan when this happened was to stop at a burger place and get some to take home. It's not technically a fast food restaurant and they use quality meat & stuff. Oh my, the temptation was so great. My stomach was growling. All the thoughts of some small "i's" were stumbling to get me to pull into that parking lot. All the rational was amazing. Programs! Anyway, I did not stop. Continued right past that part of town.

Had told someone I was on this diet & detoxing and her reply was "Right before the holiday's?" Then there was another program that kicked in. It said "hey, yeah, why not wait till after?" So during this long drive home, in the rain, in traffic (chuckling), I thought, what a great task for me. To get through this during a time when food is all over the place. And I love food! Especially bread & cheese. Have I said that before. So this is a great test to see if I can hold out.

For breakfast the shake has been substantial. It's about an hour after that my body is ready for food. Also, I am not fond of animal meats and beans is a big no no since I am an AB. Have this crazy program that I can not eat chicken if I see it before it cooks. Weird huh? So been using Rice Protein powder in the shake, some fish and eggs (no problems with them as far as I can tell) for dinner. Some lentils and if anyone has any suggestions on another form of protein, that would be very much appreciated.

One more question if I may, had made a huge pot of the ultrabroth and My hubby accidentally poured it down the sink thinking it was waste water. That is a story all onto itself. Anyway, my question is regarding store bought organic veggie broth, is this appropriate?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bluestar said:
For breakfast the shake has been substantial. It's about an hour after that my body is ready for food. Also, I am not fond of animal meats and beans is a big no no since I am an AB. Have this crazy program that I can not eat chicken if I see it before it cooks. Weird huh? So been using Rice Protein powder in the shake, some fish and eggs (no problems with them as far as I can tell) for dinner. Some lentils and if anyone has any suggestions on another form of protein, that would be very much appreciated.

One more question if I may, had made a huge pot of the ultrabroth and My hubby accidentally poured it down the sink thinking it was waste water. That is a story all onto itself. Anyway, my question is regarding store bought organic veggie broth, is this appropriate?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I believe it was said somewhere on this forum that one should stick to cold-water and small-bodied fish as they contain less mercury.

As for store bought broth, it depends on the ingredients on the label. Are there weird preservatives inside and the like?

One can make a pretty awesome vegetable broth if one is buying a diverse array of vegetables for other meals. All the scraps that one normally throws away can be boiled to make broth and then remove the scraps. This is a lot tastier than one might imagine.

Gawan said:
But I can imagine Bedower, that it's like a sacred-cow, feels not good to be true, to take something off from diet what you really enjoy eating and drinking. In my case these are bananas, I'm struggling with it to take them off, to make a test myself, because right now it's easy and comfortable to stay with them.

Oh boy! Isn't that the truth! When I gave up coffee, it was really hard... I still miss it. Things progressed... through dairy and so on. When it came to eggs, I just could NOT believe I had to give up eggs. What?! I lived on them! I loved them! Scrambled, fried, soft yolk, hard yolk, devilled, in salads... and geeze, how do you bake without eggs? What about puddings? Just everything has eggs in it.

But give them up I did, just to test if that was behind my pain and, sure enough, within a few days, the pain subsided. I tested them... pain within 20 minutes lasting for days. I re-tested twice... I just couldn't believe it. But there it was: I can't eat eggs.

Okay, so now I'm just focusing on what I can eat and developing a tasty cuisine around those ingredients. It's actually kind of fun. There is life after eggs ... and coffee.

Well, I didn't have the yoghourt in the end :halo: ; the rest of the lentils with a sqeeze of lime juice was rather nice, actually. The big problem for breakfast is that the ingredients listed in the shake are just not available here; the only berries sold are in cans for pie fillings and so loaded with sugar. Any suggestion for alternative morning shake ingredients would be gratefully received. Thanks. :)

Doing without bananas is a big kicker for me also - especially as they're full of potassium and all that. Not to mention being sooo convenient to just grab one as a quick snack. About the nuts - I've been snacking on whole almonds, but now I think I'll give them a rest for a few days, in light of what Laura has written.

I asked a pharmacist whose judgement I trust about pro-biotics. He knew what they were, but said I wouldn't find any here. He also shook his head at Megazymes. Ditto Glutathione - 'What's that?' Nystatin? 'Yes, we have some of that.' But it's drops to be fed on the tongue. Is that right?

There is something on the market here called 'Rayeb' - it's easier to write what's on the carton - '...Rayeb is fermented using 3 unique pro-biotics: A to replenish your metabolism bacteria; B helps your stomach digest better; T protects your system against harmful bacteria.' The only drawback is that these pro-biotics are fermented in pasturised cow's milk, 1.5% fat. But this is the only pro-biotic I've found so far. What do you guys think? Should I use Rayeb to get my pro-biotics?

I can't believe that in four hours time I'll be in my fourth day on the diet. It's gone by so quickly! :O I've had a headache for two days, but put it down to caffeine withdrawal - it was only one coffee a day but lots of tea!

Tomorrow morning sees my first attempt at oil pulling, now that I've psyched myself up enough! Good thing ciggies are still allowed!

:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

Hi Bedower, I've been ordering all my supplements through the internet because I found it to be easier to get all the necessary ones. In my case, it also seemed to be he cheapest solution. Don't know if this helps, but just an idea from where you could get your probiotics.

Reading the experiences from you all has given me the kick to just go and give up the nasty things I'm still indulging in... I've cut out quite a lot of foods since March this year, trying to detox. Cheese was really the hardest..life without cheese? Not possible (or so I thought at the time)! I cut out all dairy, wheat, pork, processed food, tomatoes (yeah, seems I'm allergic to them), all nuts :cry:, and all white flower derived products.... I lost a lot of weight, which in my case was not really welcomed because I am of the thin type. It took me about 2 months to actually start finding the right substitutes and stop being hungry! It's much better now as I've gotten used to it and know where to get my food from. My today's devil is sugar (I have it in herbal tea)... Interesting thing is that I'm not one to crave sweets, except for my sweet tea that has been really hard to give up...and gluten. I'm declaring war.

And thank you all for the creative ideas for breakfast, I have to confess that I have been struggling to find something healthy, filling and that I would enjoy eating first thing in the morning. I'm also going to dig through the buckwheat receipts.
The issue with bananas was also new for me...good to now, as for a long time they have been part of my afternoon snack. In any case, I thing the suggestions made of testing our sensitivities is the best way to go.

EDIT: I forgot to add, I got my latest supplements from Iherb.com suggested here http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=14698.0 which has been for me the one which my budget could afford (thanks Oxajil for finding it!) They deliver within the US and Europe, but I don't know if they deliver to the world though

mada85 said:
.......... While the buckwheat is cooking.......

No need. You can just pour boiling water over the buckwheat and let it sit for a while. Buckwheat practically cooks itself.

The best solution is to prepare it in advance and let it sit warm for a few hours. Buckwheat contains about 1% phytine in its outer layers. Phytine binds minerals, which then are not bioavailable unless it is cracked by an enzyme named phytase. Phytase can be activated either by germination, humidity and heat or by preparation of a sourdough.

Quote from BrokenEnglish:
"...Buckwheat contains about 1% phytine in its outer layers. Phytine binds minerals, which then are not bioavailable unless it is cracked by an enzyme named phytase. Phytase can be activated either by germination, humidity and heat..."

Hmmmm.... I thought that all living foods and whole grains contain the enzymes within them, to break down their building blocks??? And that cooking them actually tends to destroy these enzymes.

I have often added toasted buckwheat groats to my protein shakes. (without soaking or cooking them) Mostly because it added more texture and cuts out surgar cravings. Should I avoid doing that?

Thanks, Gertrudes for that suggestion, but the major problem for me here is the post. Luckily, a friend of mine is in England at the moment so I've emailed her to bring me back the 5-HTP caps. the Alpha-Lipoic caps and the MSM caps. So that's sorted, at least.

I'll just have to hunt around all the supermarkets here for the other stuff because there are no Health Food stores. I'm sure I've seen at least one item that was promoted as 'Gluten Free'; problem is, I can't remember which supermarket it was! :rolleyes:

Cheese - yeah, me too! My body loved it! I gave up taking suger in drinks about 20 years ago, so that part of the diet doesn't bother me. You have my sympathies though with your sugar.

Thanks for your suggestions. :D

Gertrudes said:
My today's devil is sugar (I have it in herbal tea)... Interesting thing is that I'm not one to crave sweets, except for my sweet tea that has been really hard to give up...and gluten. I'm declaring war.

Hi Gertrudes,

I can so sympathise with you on the sugar, although my addiction was honey. :( Strong coffee with honey and cream, yum! Who needed dessert?

Stevia is a possible substitute, although it does have its own taste. For pure "wow, I can't believe it's not sugar!" though, nothing beats xylitol. The stuff even LOOKS like sugar! I have it in lemon-chammomile tea and it totally satisfies my residual sweet tooth.

Apparently some folks can't tolerate it (it can cause diarrhea), but if you can, you will love it. I'm sure the many supplement sources that have been posted will have it in bulk. Both NOW Foods and IHerb carry it. I have read cautions where xylitol derived from birch trees is considered better than derived from corn husks, but I don't know why, other than the GMO issue.

hope that helps,

Herondancer

Lauranimal said:
Quote from BrokenEnglish:
"...Buckwheat contains about 1% phytine in its outer layers. Phytine binds minerals, which then are not bioavailable unless it is cracked by an enzyme named phytase. Phytase can be activated either by germination, humidity and heat..."

Hmmmm.... I thought that all living foods and whole grains contain the enzymes within them, to break down their building blocks??? And that cooking them actually tends to destroy these enzymes.

I have often added toasted buckwheat groats to my protein shakes. (without soaking or cooking them) Mostly because it added more texture and cuts out surgar cravings. Should I avoid doing that?

No, that's harmless. You just don't get the minerals bound by phytine.

Yes about the enzymes. Almost all cereals have phytine in quantities between 1 and 3%. Cooking starts the enzyme activation but it needs some time. Can be several hours.

Ben said:
I am trying to find a quick and convenient but filling breakfast to replace cereal with milk, I don't have much time in the morning but I get so hungry if I skip it. Bananas seemed perfect but now it seems that might not be a good idea.

buckwheat flakes with rice milk!

btw ben, is your avatar a puppy with a goat or sheep's head??

bedower said:
There is something on the market here called 'Rayeb' - it's easier to write what's on the carton - '...Rayeb is fermented using 3 unique pro-biotics: A to replenish your metabolism bacteria; B helps your stomach digest better; T protects your system against harmful bacteria.' The only drawback is that these pro-biotics are fermented in pasturised cow's milk, 1.5% fat. But this is the only pro-biotic I've found so far. What do you guys think? Should I use Rayeb to get my pro-biotics?

Hi Bedower

There is an excellent probiotic product, made in Belgium, that I discovered at my local bio. It is called Floril. I have taken it for the past year, when needed. It is quickly effective. The good folks at the Cass chateau are also now keeping some on hand.

Yesterday, I talked to a Canadian client who obviously needed a probiotic for his 7 year old daughter, in addition to the nanosilver which she was going to take for symptoms that sound very much like a systemic candida overgrowth. I recommended this product when I found a company in Belgium that ships it internationally... good price too... a lot less expensive than I pay for it in the stores here. Check out these folks:

_http://www.fangsfood.be/CHLORELLA/EN/floril.htm

Oxajil said:
My parents told us to not forget to drink milk, because it's so important. ''Especially if you want to grow taller.'' But I never liked it, so I just kinda stopped drinking it one day.
Here, parents can also pay some amount of money to the school, so that the school will give milk to their children.
It's really sad..

We can thank Edward Bernays and his ilk for brainwashing our parents, and grandparents, with the nonsense propaganda from the American Dairy Association. Remember, this was back in the days when the media was considered a source of "truth".

Then there was that slogan, "Wonder Bread helps build strong bodies 12 ways." Sheesh! Generations were/are raised on pastuerized milk, "fortified" bleached flour and fluoridated tap water, by parents who were/are programmed to think that this is in the best interests of their children. Its a miracle that anyone is still left functional. Throw in cradle to grave vaccinations and you get a "zombie nation", which seems to be where we are at today.

Rabelais said:
We can thank Edward Bernays and his ilk for brainwashing our parents, and grandparents, with the nonsense propaganda from the American Dairy Association. Remember, this was back in the days when the media was considered a source of "truth".

Then there was that slogan, "Wonder Bread helps build strong bodies 12 ways." Sheesh! Generations were/are raised on pastuerized milk, "fortified" bleached flour and fluoridated tap water, by parents who were/are programmed to think that this is in the best interests of their children. Its a miracle that anyone is still left functional. Throw in cradle to grave vaccinations and you get a "zombie nation", which seems to be where we are at today.

Yep, they don't want us dead (well, depends) and they don't want us alive, kicking and thinking, so they keep us in zombie-mode. The predator's mind is our mind.

My mom still tells me that my bones will vaporize if I don't drink milk ...

(edit: thanks for mentioning the probiotic product, I was looking for one as well)

Back
Top Bottom