Session 24 October 2009

Ben said:
I am trying to find a quick and convenient but filling breakfast to replace cereal with milk, I don't have much time in the morning but I get so hungry if I skip it. Bananas seemed perfect but now it seems that might not be a good idea.

I've been doing the same thing much of the time -- I don't notice an adverse effect specifically from the bananas, but I still haven't done the Ultra Simple Diet to try to really figure out what foods I'm sensitive to, so I can't count them in with complete confidence. For the time being, I am pretty sure that bananas at least trump milk though.

Since I can't have eggs, and dairy is out, I have a similar problem about breakfast. What I have found is that the Ultra Shake is good, especially with a lot of flax oil, flax seeds and berries - very filling.

Also, you can make buckwheat pancakes in advance and freeze them individually. I've been making very small ones, about the size of a big cookie, to have as a bread side or to put things on like ghee and smoked salmon, ham, bacon.

Ark has a sarrasin puffed cereal that he eats with rice milk and rapadura.

Then there is my favorite, brown rice and dahl. If you make a big pot of dahl and a pot of brown rice and refrigerate it, you can eat it anytime you feel a bit peckish. If you make your dahl a bit sweeter, either with xylitol or rapadura, it is a nice breakfast dish.

Of course, you could go hard core - as I did for awhile - and just eat a plate of warmed over vegetables for breakfast.

Laura said:
Since I can't have eggs, and dairy is out, I have a similar problem about breakfast. What I have found is that the Ultra Shake is good, especially with a lot of flax oil, flax seeds and berries - very filling.

For a quick breakfast shake, you can also add a couple tablespoons of psyllium fiber (perferably organic) to rice protein powder, rice milk and maybe add some cinnamon (if you can have that). It's fast, fills me up nicely, keeps me feeling full, and is certainly good for the intestines. ;) Just make sure you drink extra water and don't take vitamins or supplements within an hour or so of taking the fiber. It will absorb some of the vitamins as it does its work.

Ben said:
I am trying to find a quick and convenient but filling breakfast to replace cereal with milk, I don't have much time in the morning but I get so hungry if I skip it. Bananas seemed perfect but now it seems that might not be a good idea.

Hi Ben, I eat a Buckwheat (Gluten free) cereal I found at Whole Foods and either rice or almond milk. If I'm pressed for time I eat a handful of blueberries and/or almonds.

There is also a company _http://www.goraw.com/ that has a nice selection of gluten free and healthy products that I use as either snacks or as a cereal substitute. Some of the products are pricey so I tend to cut way down on the serving size. My favorite is their product: Live Granola
Ingredients:
Sprouted Organic Buckwheat Groats
Sprouted Organic Flax Seeds
Organic Raisins
Organic Date

Laura said:
Of course, you could go hard core - as I did for awhile - and just eat a plate of warmed over vegetables for breakfast.

I do this occasionally, but for the wrong reasons -- usually when that is what is left in the refrigerator as left-overs :-[ But still, its ultimately the right thing to be eating.

I was good at making shakes with fruit and flax seed during the summer when I was doing it for both my daughter and I, but once school started again for her, I got out of the habit -- I need to just make the time and make myself do it! I was using yogurt at the time, but we have recently switched to buying rice milk every week, so I will use that instead.

[quote author=ben today] I am trying to find a quick and convenient but filling breakfast to replace cereal with milk, I don't have much time in the morning but I get so hungry if I skip it. Bananas seemed perfect but now it seems that might not be a good idea. [/quote]

I'm glad this was brought up. Normally, the milk I used to have with my early morning cuppa and mid-morning coffe, took away any appitite for food. But this morning, the first real day of the diet, after drinking a cup of green tea with a scant half-teaspoon of black seed and a squeeze of lemon, I found I felt really hungry after about half an hour.

So I'm also on the look-out for breakfast suggestions, especially as bananas seem to be out.

Edit: By the time I'd typed and posted, four other forumites had put in their suggestions! Thanks. The lentils are a good idea and plain yoghourt seems to be ok, so until the store cupboard is stocked with diet-friendly food that will be enough to be going on with.

:cool2:

Ben said:

Check your health food store for brown rice puffs. It's a great cereal! You can have them with rice or almond milk and xylitol. I like to add walnuts too but you should find out first if you can tolerate them. Fresh blueberries are also a good side dish with it.

I used to have a bowl of porridge for breakfast until I noticed that I had a sensitivity to the gluten in the oats, which I think was revealed by detoxing my body. So now I cook 75grams of buckwheat, layer it in a wide bowl and sprinkle on some cinnamon and turmeric and xylitol. While the buckwheat is cooking I steam some previously cooked brown rice and layer it on top of the buckwheat and add some flax oil and a generous helping of rice milk. It takes about 15-20 minutes to prepare. Very delicious and no nasties. :cool2:

Hey Mada, funny you mentioned cinnamon just as I was about to post! I've been adding cinnamon to sweeten the buckwheat crepe mix (bw flour, salt, gluten-free baking powder and rice/oat milk). For those worried they won't have time in the morning to prepare and eat pancakes, once you get the hang of it you'll find it only takes 20 mins max to mix enough for two pancakes, cook and eat.

I spread wild blueberry jam (sugarfree) and tahini (sesame paste) over the warm pancakes... voila! A delicious and nutritious breakfast :P

Ben said:
I am trying to find a quick and convenient but filling breakfast to replace cereal with milk, I don't have much time in the morning but I get so hungry if I skip it. Bananas
seemed perfect but now it seems that might not be a good idea.

Hi Ben,

I start the morning by putting a pan of water on the stove. I pour off enough boiling water to make tea; currently a detox tea, with yellow dock, dandelion root, burdock, milk thistle, and a little black China tea.

With the remaining hot water, I alternate three cereals, depending upon the time available. If I am in a hurry, I put thick cut organic oatmeal in the remaining hot water with a few raisins on top. I let the tea and oatmeal steepwhile I shower and dress. Breakfast is ready in ten minutes.

On days I have a little more time I put raw organic buckwheat groats in the remaining water and leave it on the stove at a low boil and then toss in the raisins between the shower and dressing. This takes fifteen minutes.

On days when I am not in a hurry I use millet with sunflower seeds, boiled at a low temperature until soft and then add the raisins. This takes twenty minutes.

I have followed this breakfast regime for twenty years. It is cheap, wholesome, and convenient. I store the oatmeal, buckwheat, millet, and sunflowers in the refrigerator. They are slow and easy to digest. This breakfast provides energy for about six hours of medium work. The raisins add sweetness, and I occasionally use a little honey.

Edit: To full line :)

bedower said:
Edit: By the time I'd typed and posted, four other forumites had put in their suggestions! Thanks. The lentils are a good idea and plain yoghourt seems to be ok, so until the store cupboard is stocked with diet-friendly food that will be enough to be going on with.

:cool2:

I would definitely ditch the yogurt. Evil stuff.

[quote author=Laura today] I would definitely ditch the yogurt. Evil stuff. [/quote]

Thanks for your reply, Laura. But now I'm confused. I've just finished reading the rest of the 'Detox Heavy Metals' thread, and the 'Anti-Candida, Heavy Metals Detox' thread, and I'm sure I read in one of these threads that yoghourt was ok if one could tolerate it.

There is a supermarket nearby that sells live yoghourt, but until I can get out tomorrow and buy some, as well as a few other diet foods, plain yoghourt is all I have in the fridge. I was looking forward to it for my breakfast (she whined!).

Oh well... :(

I've been eating amaranth. It was mentioned to me by a friend who doesn't eat gluten. You can eat it with rice or almond milk if you want. It has all the essential amino acids.

I cook mine with stevia, you can use xylitol if you can tolerate it. I add cinnamon and once in a while cacao nibs, Okay, I add cacao nibs quite a bit. No, :/ I add then a lot....well, okay, okay, I add them every day. But I'm type A and chocolate is a superfood for me. :halo:

Anyway, amaranth is very hearty and filling. Of course, so are buckwheat pancakes. Yum!

bedower said:
[quote author=Laura today] I would definitely ditch the yogurt. Evil stuff.

Thanks for your reply, Laura. But now I'm confused. I've just finished reading the rest of the 'Detox Heavy Metals' thread, and the 'Anti-Candida, Heavy Metals Detox' thread, and I'm sure I read in one of these threads that yoghourt was ok if one could tolerate it.

There is a supermarket nearby that sells live yoghourt, but until I can get out tomorrow and buy some, as well as a few other diet foods, plain yoghourt is all I have in the fridge. I was looking forward to it for my breakfast (she whined!).

[/quote]

As we started researching these matters, we came across a lot of material that said that dairy was okay if tolerated - D'Adamo says so too: if you are blood type B, you can have dairy. He also says if you are a certain genotype, you can have buttermilk. Then, some of these diets include a lot of nuts, almond butter, almond milk, etc. They also have recipes with soy products.

As we continued digging deeper and deeper, and experimenting (we have every blood type here in the house, including rare ones), we noted that diary is not a good thing for even the types that are supposed to be able to tolerate it. And soy has to be excluded because nearly all soy is GMO, plus the fact that the Western way of utilizing it is FAR from the Eastern dietary practice where it is taken is small quantities and processed a particular way.

Then, the issue of nuts: I was shocked to discover that a lot of my inflammation was due to nuts. I tested it several times and, sure enough... then, the other people in the house also got curious and started testing it. It was discovered that nuts are simply inflammatory for everybody if they are taken in any significant, daily quantity.

There are many things that can be eaten occasionally and will be tolerated on that occasional basis, if all detoxing is already sorted out and the detox system is working well. This is because they place a detox burden on the body. Some people are able to tolerate more of some of these things than other people, too. Some people's detox systems work super efficiently, some people's detox systems are sluggish. So that has to be taken into consideration along with how long the toxic burden has been accumulating.

I would say that everybody has an old toxic burden just because that's the condition of life in our world. In order to REALLY know what your body wants/needs/tolerates, it is probably a good idea to eliminate everything that can possibly add to the toxic burden for a certain period and then, come back and test it.

I'm going to wait a couple more months and re-test eggs and walnuts and pecans. I'm not ready to do it yet because I know I have to deal with the mercury thing first. I think you will find, though, that even being able to tolerate something now and then does not mean that it is good for you, optimal fuel for your body, or does not add to your toxic load.

bedower said:
[quote author=Laura today] I would definitely ditch the yogurt. Evil stuff.

[/quote]

But it's still diary Bedower and diary is one of the top food allergens (casein and the sugar of milk: lactose), that's one reason to skip milk and try first hand if you are allergic to it: to give the body a chance (the immune system) to cool of and later on to reintroduce it, to see if there are any reactions. That's one side of -diary-, the other is, that milk contains hormones, cows are not grown up that healthy (stress, not natural living, eating meat and bone meal and many others) and simply cow milk is for cow kids, okay it sounds maybe stupid, but somehow it's a logical consequence.
Also had you a look in the "blood type diet"?

Here are two articles from sott: Milk Protein Linked to Autism, Schizophrenia, Diabetes and Heart Disease and Jaw Dropping Propaganda: Healthy food obsession sparks rise in new eating disorder (this one gives a great overview also over gluten, sugar...)

But I can imagine Bedower, that it's like a sacred-cow, feels not good to be true, to take something off from diet what you really enjoy eating and drinking. In my case these are bananas, I'm struggling with it to take them off, to make a test myself, because right now it's easy and comfortable to stay with them.

Back
Top Bottom