several questions about validity

lamalamalamalama said:
ark said:
Stevie Argyll said:
ll explained. 'Respect' can be a first step towards thralldom.

On the other hand lack of respect (for the Law, for instance) can be a first step towards you know where. Therefore a moderation and paying attention to the details is needed. Nothing comes easy. The devil is always in the details.

Just curious, what is 'The Law' and why is a lack of respect for it worse than lack of respect for a person?
It's more the healthy respect for something or someone that can do you harm, so even if laws/government or whatever is bad, you want to take some care in how you go about pointing this out. For respect for someone in the good sense, you really want that to be a natural colinear thing and not something forced in some way; the word "respect" just has a bit too much of a connotation of enhanced image. It's a bit of a semantics thing but there was a point or two to be made too.

lamalamalamalama said:
Just curious, what is 'The Law' and why is a lack of respect for it worse than lack of respect for a person?

Webster defines it as:

Main Entry: 1law
Pronunciation: \ˈlȯ\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English lagu, of Scandinavian origin; akin to Old Norse lǫg law; akin to Old English licgan to lie — more at lie
Date: before 12th century

1 a (1) : a binding custom or practice of a community : a rule of conduct or action prescribed or formally recognized as binding or enforced by a controlling authority (2) : the whole body of such customs, practices, or rules (3) : common law b (1) : the control brought about by the existence or enforcement of such law (2) : the action of laws considered as a means of redressing wrongs; also : litigation (3) : the agency of or an agent of established law c : a rule or order that it is advisable or obligatory to observe d : something compatible with or enforceable by established law e : control, authority

It is not "worse", it is simply dangerous. Neglecting the Law you may well end in jail, which is probably now what you are wishing for?

I am too late for this thread, very informative.
I was all the time reading walkingon's nick as walk-in , it seems that was very appropriate :O

Hi lamalamalamalama, I wasn't sure of your question was answered in the way you intended. So, just in case it wasn't answered to your satisfaction...

In this case, the term, The Law can mean two things:
- the police
- a catch-all term for all laws of a society, as in "respect the law", which really means, respect the laws of the city/state/country.

Gonzo

Question answered. I though 'the Law' might refer to something esoteric.

Hmm, time to read some Plato. I recall him having some learning experiences with the law.

Back
Top Bottom