Show #25 - Julius Caesar: Evil Dictator or Messiah for Humanity?

Niall

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Sunday 21st July from 2-4pm EST (9-7pm GMT): Julius Caesar - Evil Dictator or Messiah for Humanity?

Many interesting personalities emerged during the last days of Rome’s Republic, but one man stood head and shoulders above the rest. This week we’re going to continue where we left off last week, taking a deeper look at the life and times of Julius Caesar - politician, statesman, author and military general.

Caesar emerged at a time of political intrigues, civil war and rebellion. Standing for social justice, inclusive democracy and economic empowerment of the people, Caesar sought to transform the conditions of ordinary people. But he encountered tremendous resistance from the ruling oligarchy, whose efforts to thwart him culminated in his assassination at the height of his power in 44 B.C.

Caesar’s legacy is a mixed one. Was he really the tyrannical demagogue portrayed by Cicero and other contemporary historians? Or must his deeds be re-examined in light of the discovery by Francesco Carotta and others that his life and achievements were the model for the story of ‘Jesus’?

Laura will be joining us again this week, so be sure to tune in!

Re: Show #25 - Julius Caesar: Deceitful Demagogue or the People's Champion?

Very much looking forward to it!!

SeekinTruth said:
Very much looking forward to it!!

I'm too and is great that you guys continue straight on with this topic.

Another great show! Looking forward to listen to it. :D

Thank you for choosing this topic. I'm also looking forward to listen and learn more about Julius Caesar. I would like to learn more about what was his views on the role of women in the society.

This is so exciting :D . I will be working hard to cram in some recommended reading on the times and Caesar. Currently making my way through the ancient city, what a fascinating book!

So excited!! Thank you for continuing on with this! Last week was a cliff hanger!!

Just got to work and I'm happy. Can't wait for this sundays show, this ceaser thing has blown my mind!

Awesome - thanks, Niall! :) This is amazing stuff, such an adventure we're on here! :D

:cool2:

Many interesting personalities emerged during the last days of Rome’s Republic, but one man stood head and shoulders above the rest. This week we’re going to continue where we left off last week, taking a deeper look at the life and times of Julius Caesar - politician, statesman, author and military general.

Will it also be possible to hold off on call-in's for the series on JC? It worked really well for the last show. :flowers:

Gimpy said:

Will it also be possible to hold off on call-in's for the series on JC? It worked really well for the last show. :flowers:

Can do, we may not get as many this time because the word "Jesus" isn't in the title. Last time we had about 6, and a bunch of trolls in the chat room. :rolleyes:

I wanted the title of the show to be "Julius Caesar: Evil Dictator or Messiah for Humanity?" But obviously, I'm chopped liver.

The shows have been great lately, but I'm especially pumped for this one :D

I think that the title of the show: ' Julius Caesar - Deceitful Demagogue or the People's Champion?' is better, because it doesn't bring in a common religious meaning of 'Messiah". I used to think about the word 'demagogue' only in terms of the negative meaning, but after the word 'demagogue' was mentioned in Michael Parenti's lecture 'The Assassination of Julius Caesar' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IO_Ldn2H4o, and after reading the name of the show, I got curious. So I looked for the meaning of the word itself. Apparently, the negative connotation of this word came about later (I wonder who was the first person using it in a negative way? Cicero?), it was not the original meaning of the word. And there are two completely opposite meanings of this word. Here http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/demagogue :
1: a leader who makes use of popular prejudices and false claims and promises in order to gain power

2: a leader championing the cause of the common people in ancient times

On etymology of 'demagogue' here: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/demagogue

From Ancient Greek δημαγωγός (demagogos, “popular leader, mob leader”), from δῆμος (demos, “people”) + ἀγωγός (agogos, “guide”).

It's not that surprising that the meaning of this word would be changed to serve the needs of the ruling classes, osit.

Perceval said:
Gimpy said:

Can do, we may not get as many this time because the word "Jesus" isn't in the title. Last time we had about 6, and a bunch of trolls in the chat room. :rolleyes:

There's a chat room? Is it on the radio page or elsewhere? :-[

Back
Top Bottom