Show#82 - Who was Georges Gurdjieff? Interview with William Patrick Patterson

Niall

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Sunday, September 7th, 2014: Who was Georges Gurdjieff? Interview with William Patrick Patterson

After many years as a student of The Fourth Way and discovering no answer to the question that had gradually formed in him—what is the 'self' in self-remembering?—Mr. Patterson was called to explore Advaita Vedanta (non-dualism). In doing so, he realized the full significance of the ideas and practices of The Fourth Way and how this sacred and seminal teaching provided not only the necessary foundation, but was applicable on the very highest levels.

Mr. Patterson is the founder/director of The Gurdjieff Studies Program and has led groups, as well as given seminars and talks throughout the United States for many years. He has written nine books on the teaching and directed, written and narrated the award-winning video trilogy The Life & Significance of George Ivanovitch Gurdjieff and the just-released video Introduction to Gurdjieff's Fourth Way: From Selves to Individual Self to The Self. A new video talk has recently been released: William Patrick Patterson Explores The Life & Teachings of Carlos Castaneda

His latest book is Georgi Ivanovitch Gurdjieff: The Man, The Teaching, His Mission, and for one day only, this Sunday, September 7th 2014, the book is being offered at $10.00 off the retail price of $45.00.

Join us and Mr. Patterson from 2-4pm EST (11am-1pm PST / 8-10pm CET/ 7-9pm GMT) for what promises to be a truly enlightening discussion.

I just listened to his video and must say I was rather astonished by the simple, direct and concise way he is conveying and merging together Gurdjieff and Castaneda´s teachings.

As I´ve been reading Castaneda´s books myself more than 20 years ago followed by 4th way teaching books, only after a long time did I come to understand how easy and maybe unfortunate it is for reader´s with an academic mind to end misguided by Castaneda´s particular "sorcerer´jargon" in his intent to describe mysterious unseen worlds. In any case, it may serve as some kind of alarm to all those readers who are feeling there is more to this world than what meets the eye.

Sure I won´t miss it either!

Hmmmm ... This is what he wrote about Mouravieff:

it can be seen that Gurdjieff and his language is multidimensional, Mouravieff’s understanding linear and literal. Never having been a student of Gurdjieff’s or initiated into his teaching, Mouravieff interprets and judges from, at best, an exoteric point of view. As Philip Sherrard, the highly regarded Christian intellectual, has pointed out: “If a man merely ‘thinks’ of the Truth with his mind, then all his logic is useless to him because he starts with an initial fallacy, the fallacy that the Truth can be attained by the unaided processes of human thought.” This fallacy he calls “the philosophical mentality.”

Copied from this thread
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,11565.msg131121.html#msg131121

Not sure, but the Cs have mentioned Mouravieff more than Gurdjieff, esp. recently in connection to balancing the centers.

After many years as a student of The Fourth Way and discovering no answer to the question that had gradually formed in him—what is the 'self' in self-remembering?—Mr. Patterson was called to explore Advaita Vedanta (non-dualism). In doing so, he realized the full significance of the ideas and practices of The Fourth Way and how this sacred and seminal teaching provided not only the necessary foundation, but was applicable on the very highest levels.

Not sure what he exactly means by this :huh:
Advaita is a Yogi-Way, so combining it with the Fourth might lead to mixing up of concepts...

Well, let's see!

M.T.

Quote: Minas Tirith
Advaita is a Yogi-Way, so combining it with the Fourth might lead to mixing up of concepts...

My take on this after taking a quick look on Advaita yoga description. Advaita Yogi-way is mainly the study of non duality as opposed to our duality that stems from our compulsivity of over conceptualizing everything we perceive. Hence our illusion of separativity and linear thinking. The Advaita yogi-way promulgates that the observer and the observed are actually the same thing. From my experience I can say that whenever I judge myself instead of integrating any given process, what I´m doing is unwittingly conceptualizing that I should be this way and not another one, which is the same than affirming that whatever I feel, think, etc. has to be fought, without being aware that the shadow is also part of my psychic life.

I know what I´m saying is basic stuff, but within the context of mixing both teachings I´d rather think Advaita´s philosophy could be an excellent preparatory step towards the 4th Way since it may soften the controlling and indiscriminate way we are used to in fighting in our life at the expense of the Self.

His latest book is Georgi Ivanovitch Gurdjieff: The Man, The Teaching, His Mission, and for one day only, this Sunday, September 7th 2014, the book is being offered at $10.00 off the retail price of $45.00.

Unfortunately the $10 off is not showing up when I add it to the cart on his website.

Heimdallr said:

Unfortunately the $10 off is not showing up when I add it to the cart on his website.

You'll have to wait until tomorrow for the discount. It says one day only on September 7th.

suelarue said:
Heimdallr said:

You'll have to wait until tomorrow for the discount. It says one day only on September 7th.

Doh! Got my days messed up. Nevermind then!

Heimdallr said:

The book is now 35USD, the shipment cost may be high though

For me shipping is 33 dollars on top of the cost of the book.

Back
Top Bottom