"Sluggish" Liver issues.

RedFox said:
I had something similar happen a few weeks ago (although, it could have been trying boat butter). Two things that have helped is reducing my fat intake and upping my protein a little, also taking magnesium on an empty stomach before breakfast (which may suggest its a bile duct thing too - magnesium will help the bile duct open).

I have reduced my fat intake at times and it has stopped. But I am so danged hungry when I do that that I always go back to more fat. :/

Thanks for the info, though.

So there ARE definitely some indications that you'd benefit from a liver cleanse, NE. If you do the cleanses (you should wait at least 3 weeks between each one), you'll probably start digesting fat much better and can up your fat again. Also are you currently taking Milk Thistle or Psyche's Sluggish Liver Protocol? I take Milk Thistle and a couple of other "liver support" herbs -- two other capsules that have Milk Thistle plus Dandelion Root, Burdock Root, Parsley Root, "Picroliv" (Picrorhiza kurroa -- rhizomes), Black Radish Root, AjiPure Pharmaceutical Grade NAC, TMG (trimethylglycine from BetaPower Natural Betaine), Alpha Lipoic Acid. That one's called Swanson's Liver Essentials Cleanse and Detoxify. The other one is also Swanson "Herbal Liver Purifier" and has Milk Thistle, Dandelion Root, Yellow Dock Root, Beet Root. FWIW. I also take 2 to 3 grams of Vitamin C.

I eat between 75 and 85% of my total calorie intake as fat. But there's a fine line -- if I go over that with fat, I'll get loose / light colored, floating stools that are sometimes greasy with an oily residue floating in the water of the bowl. So there's a cutoff point where no more fat is digested and comes out undigested in the stools. That's why I want to do some liver cleanses. I think it's probably worth it. If everything's working optimally, the stools should be dark brown no matter how much fat you eat. When bile, which is bright green, mixes with the intestinal content, it turns the stools brown. If the stools are light colored, there's probably not enough bile being produced because of clogged up bile ducts. Also when all the fat you eat is properly digested and absorbed, the stools will tend to sink rather than float because of undigested fat being present in them. In my case, I'm not hungry at all because I'm eating enough fat, it's just that I'm on the cutting edge of not digesting all the fat I eat.

SeekinTruth said:
So there ARE definitely some indications that you'd benefit from a liver cleanse, NE. If you do the cleanses (you should wait at least 3 weeks between each one), you'll probably start digesting fat much better and can up your fat again. Also are you currently taking Milk Thistle or Psyche's Sluggish Liver Protocol? I take Milk Thistle and a couple of other "liver support" herbs -- two other capsules that have Milk Thistle plus Dandelion Root, Burdock Root, Parsley Root, "Picroliv" (Picrorhiza kurroa -- rhizomes), Black Radish Root, AjiPure Pharmaceutical Grade NAC, TMG (trimethylglycine from BetaPower Natural Betaine), Alpha Lipoic Acid. That one's called Swanson's Liver Essentials Cleanse and Detoxify. The other one is also Swanson "Herbal Liver Purifier" and has Milk Thistle, Dandelion Root, Yellow Dock Root, Beet Root. FWIW. I also take 2 to 3 grams of Vitamin C.

Yes, I am still taking the milk thistle and vitamin C among other things. I followed Psyche's sluggish liver protocol and it really helped me. I cannot take burdock and many other herbs though. They affect me in many different ways so I stay with what helps me and doesn't hinder me.

Thanks for your help with this, ST.

Hello all!

I also want to share a little about this... :D

From the beginning of my transition to the Paleo Diet and then to Keto, I was told here on the forum that I probably had a "Sluggish Liver", but I didn't take much care for that to be honest... Yes I read about it, and followed this thread, and thought that maybe with some liver support herbs I would be just fine... Now I've decided to start taking Milk Thistle. The reason why I decided to start taking it is because I perceive too many clear symptoms that my liver is lazy and maybe overloaded.

For example, I've been loosing too much hair, I'm all bloated, mainly in the mornings, and I'm waking up with mild discomfort in the liver region. I also wake up a little tired, and I'm having a mild fatigue some days. As I read, these are all symptoms of a sluggish liver.

Another thing I read is that other indicators are the allergic reactions to almost everything. Which also happens to me. And also, high levels of LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, and mine are a little high, though not alarming.

So I'm taking Milk Thistle and some liver support herbs. But I also had the great chance to meet a doctor who is quite good. He's familiar with the work of Sajer Ji, the GreenMed Info website, Rosedale, the Palo Diet, the Keto Diet, etc.; so I sent him a email telling him about these symptoms and my idea that they might be due to a sluggish liver, along with all my latest blood test results. So I'll be reporting here about his answer as soon as I get one. ;)

:cool2:

Back
Top Bottom