Smoking is... good?

So, I finally had my first smoke last week. I used Natural American Spirit tobacco and RAW Organic rolling paper in order to avoid any nasty chemicals. The first try was a a bit of a failure as I was struggling to keep the cigarette from burning out. My second try was better though I think I overdid it. The first thing I noticed was that my muscles relaxed throughout the whole body but then I felt very dizzy, as if I was sober. For a moment, I was having a hard time walking straight and felt like throwing up but at the same time my mind was slightly clearer (though it may have been due to the dizziness). I'll have to try a few more times and get it right before I can assess whether the effects are beneficial to me or not.

The Cs have said that smoking is a clue to determine whether ones genetic profile would make the person cope relatively well in a post-cataclysmic scenario (correct me if I'm wrong). Does anyone know what about smoking tobacco would determine ones genetic profile? Is this something that has been researched?

Session Date: February 13th 2011
Q: (Psyche) Yeah, and the tail... (Andromeda) Anything else on Elenin? (Perceval) We'll have to wait
and see? (Psyche) Are we going to see a return of the Black Death?
A: Extremely likely.
Q: (Galaxia) In Europe first? Where's it gonna hit?
A: Wait and see.
Q: (Galaxia) Oh no! That's all I've got to say.
A: Those that have a certain genetic profile may suffer very little.
Q: (Andromeda) Is that any of us? (Galaxia) That doesn't sound like anybody is immune... like,
"They'll suffer very little before they die!"
A: Smoking tobacco is a clue and an aid.
Q: (L) A clue to the genetic profile?
A: Yes.
Q: (Psyche) Oh, interesting. [everyone lights a cigarette and starts laughing] (Psyche) Everybody
lights up! I feel like smoking! (laughter)
A: It is not just aliens that don't like to eat people that smoke! But from a certain perspective the
viruses that cause such illnesses as the Black Death are "alien".

Eboard10 said:
The Cs have said that smoking is a clue to determine whether ones genetic profile would make the person cope relatively well in a post-cataclysmic scenario (correct me if I'm wrong). Does anyone know what about smoking tobacco would determine ones genetic profile? Is this something that has been researched?

Hi,

From what I gather, one shouldn't have to "force" oneself to smoke. The Cs have said is it not in everyone's profile (or something like that). Now, whether that means if it's not in your profile, that you're doomed to die in a plague, I'm not sure.

I hope not, cause then I'm a goner! :lol:

Eboard10 said:
So, I finally had my first smoke last week. I used Natural American Spirit tobacco and RAW Organic rolling paper in order to avoid any nasty chemicals. The first try was a a bit of a failure as I was struggling to keep the cigarette from burning out. My second try was better though I think I overdid it. The first thing I noticed was that my muscles relaxed throughout the whole body but then I felt very dizzy, as if I was sober. For a moment, I was having a hard time walking straight and felt like throwing up but at the same time my mind was slightly clearer (though it may have been due to the dizziness). I'll have to try a few more times and get it right before I can assess whether the effects are beneficial to me or not.

Hi, Eboard10

When I started smoking 21/2 years ago after 25 years since I quit long ago I had a similar experience. My first rollies with AS made me very dizzy. difficult to stand. Over a week or so this diminished until it was just a satisfying, relaxing experience.

Take it slow, listen to your body. The initial dizziness may not be an indication that smoking is not right for you. Your body needs to adapted.

Now, I smoke whole leaf tobacco. It doesn't leave me with the "heavy" feeling that AS did. I still use Kentucky select organic in my blends.

I don't get the nicotine buzz that came when I started. Actually, miss it a bit. But love the mental sharpness and satisfying experience smoking brings. :cool2:

Mac

Mrs. Peel said:
Eboard10 said:

Hi Eboard10. For you to know if smoking is good, you need to give it a chance. Every person that start will feel dizziness and even nausea, that's normal.
If I remember well for a sott article, the tobacco was used in England to prevent got the plague. They compelled children to smoke a pipe daily in schools( with good results seemingly) and I don't think every of that children and people that smoked for get the protection had the profile (by simple probability) so I think that even if a person don't have the profile can gain some protection of it. So if smoking is not for you in a daily base you can have as a "remedy" in case you needed.

Edit=Quote

nicklebleu said:
Nice work, Mr. Premise ...

No such luck for us in Australia, as GROWING your own tobacco is ILLEGAL, with fines up to 25'000 AUD and up to 5 years in prison. Go figure, nanny state!

Also not much luck with organic tobacco as far as I have been able to tell. So the best thing that I can find is cuban cigarillos/ mini-cigarillos, which are very expensive!
I also looked at importing from overseas, which is possible, but again very expensive due to very high import duty (400 - 500 AUD/ kg).

So if anyone here in Oz has a good idea, you are most welcome to share .... :-[

The best I can figure to go close as close to organic or additive free as possible on my budget is to use e-cigs.

I found an Australian company that retails the e-cigs, but it is illegal to sell the tobacco/nicotine fluid to put in them here. However, individually you are allowed to import up to 3 months supply at a time. The tobacco/nicotine fluid I bought is actually made here in Australia, then exported NZ, then the Aus clients are direct to their NZ site to buy it!

Here is the site I used: http://www.ecigs.net.au/

There is a link to the nicotine fluid on the left under the 'shop' heading. It took around a week for the fluid to come from NZ and a 30ml bottle apparently lasts a 25/day smoker around 2 weeks and costs $17-18. So it still works out cheaper than normal smoking with international post included, though they ship for free if you order over $140. It may not be the most efficient delivery system for nicotine, but you can 'smoke' in more places.

Thanks for the tip, Jones ... BUT I don't want to go down the route of e-cigs ...

Smoking is a lot more than nicotine, otherwise quitting would be easy. Just put a nicotine patch on your skin and Bob's your uncle.
There are for instance MAO A/B inhibitors in tobacco as well (anti-depressants) and a whole lot of other stuff.

So I guess it's cuban tobacco for as long as I can afford it!

A few gems from "Multiple roles for nicotine in Parkinson’s disease":

_http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2815339/

The basal ganglia are key in the pathogenesis of Parkinson’s disease, a movement disorder characterized by a predominant loss of nigrostriatal dopaminergic neurons [1-3]. A major component of the basal ganglia is the striatum which receives projections from dopaminergic cell bodies in the substantia nigra. In addition to dopamine, the striatum contains a wide diversity of neuroactive substances including serotonin, glutamate, GABA, noradrenaline, cannabinoids, opioids, adenosine, and numerous neuropeptides, any of which may contribute to the regulation of dopaminergic activity [4-18]. Furthermore, extensive evidence shows that acetylcholine influences striatal dopamine release predominantly through an action at nAChRs [19-21], and also muscarinic receptors to a lesser extent [22-24]. These interactions of acetylcholine at the cellular level most likely have important behavioral consequences. The focus of this review is on a putative involvement of the nicotinic cholinergic system in the control of striatal function and the pathophysiology of Parkinson’s disease. Extensive work shows that nicotine, which acts at nAChRs, protects against nigrostriatal damage [25-27]. In addition, our recent studies demonstrate that nicotine administration reduces a major side effect of L-dopa, the primary treatment for Parkinson’s disease [28, 29]. These observations raise the possibility that nAChR stimulation may prove useful for the long-term management of Parkinson’s disease.

[...] Since initial epidemiological findings in the early 1960’s, numerous case-report and cohort studies report a reduced incidence of Parkinson’s disease in smokers [30-39]. This apparent neuroprotection against Parkinson’s disease is correlated with increased intensity and duration of smoking, is reduced with smoking cessation, and occurs with different types of tobacco products [30-39]. Importantly, it does not appear to be due to selective survival of Parkinson’s disease cases or reporting bias [30-39]. These combined findings suggest that the decline in Parkinson’s disease with smoking is a true biological effect.

[...] Altogether these data show that nicotine does not restore integrity/function once dopaminergic neurons have been damaged, but rather, that it attenuates ongoing neurodegenerative processes. Since Parkinson’s disease is a progressive neurodegenerative disorder, the results from experimental animal models would suggest that nicotine might reduce Parkinson’s disease progression.

[...]Nicotine-mediated neuroprotection against nigrostriatal damage also appears to involve various nAChR subtypes. That protection is receptor-mediated is apparent from work showing a decline with nAChR blockade [73]. Evidence for an involvement of the α4β2* nAChR subtype is based on studies showing a loss of nicotine-mediated protection in α4β2* nAChR knockout mice with nigrostriatal damage [74]. A role for select α6β2* nAChR subtypes in neuroprotection stems from work in lesioned rats [41], using the neurotoxin α-CtxMII E11A to differentiate between α6α4β2* and α6(nonα4)β2* subtypes [72]. Receptor competition studies in control and lesioned rats treated with and without nicotine showed that the α6α4β2* subtype is present only when nicotine-mediated protection is observed. This suggests that this latter subtype may be necessary for neuroprotection and a target for the development of protective strategies against Parkinson’s disease. The mechanisms whereby an interaction at α6α4β2* nAChR results in protection against nigrostriatal damage are not yet known as the intracellular signaling pathways linked to this specific nAChR subtype remain to be elucidated. However, based on knowledge of other nAChR subtypes, one might anticipate that changes in multiple downstream pathways are involved, such as alterations in various kinases, including phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (PI3K), Akt, mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) and jnk kinase, caspases 3, 8 and 9, nitric oxide synthase, the cell survival protein Bcl-2, and other intracellular events [25, 60, 75]. Activation of these intracellular messengers may modulate immune responsiveness to enhance neuronal function/integrity [76, 77]. Alternatively, or as well, they may activate different trophic factors, such as brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and/or basic fibroblast growth factor-2 (FGF-2) levels, which are implicated in neuroprotection against nigrostriatal damage [78-81].

The ability of nicotine to reduce L-dopa-induced dyskinetic-like movements most likely also occurs via an interaction at nAChRs since improvement is not observed in the presence of the nAChR blocker mecamylamine [82]. It is currently not known which striatal nAChRs populations are involved in the nicotine-mediated decline in L-dopa-induced dyskinesias. However, since the primary receptors in the brain, and specifically the nigrostriatal pathway, are the α4β2*, α6β2* and α7 subtypes, we anticipate these may be important [19, 20, 59, 60, 63]. With respect to brain region, we expect that the receptors present in the nigrostriatal pathway play a role; however, it is also possible that nAChRs in other brain regions are key. This idea is based on extensive evidence that multiple neurotransmitter systems are implicated in the development of L-dopa-induced dyskinetic-like movements [17, 56]. Such a possibility is not unexpected since the striatum functions in an integrated fashion with the globus pallidus, thalamus, various cortical areas, subthalamic nucleus, cerebellum, and other areas [17, 56].

Can someone look at this article and comment. Many of the things he's says are intriguing.

_http://encyclopedia.smokersclub.com/16.html

Nicotine: What is it, and where does it come from?
Time to clear the air.

The best way to understand nicotine, if you don't have a lot of chemistry background is to understand table salt.

The chemical name for table salt is "sodium chloride". It is made up of two chemical elements named "sodium" and "chlorine".

Sodium is a soft, dull grey metal that looks a lot like aluminum or lead. Unlike aluminum or lead however, metallic sodium is rather unstable. Drop some of it into water and it immediately bursts into flames. Expose it to air and it reacts with oxygen and water vapor to form white, powdery crystals. It has to be stored in an oxygen free atmosphere to retain its pure, metallic form. Usually, it is stored in oil.

Chlorine is a highly toxic gas. When concentrated, it has a pale, yellowish green color. Like sodium, chlorine reacts quickly with just about everything. Chlorine bleach, which has chlorine dissolved in water, allows the water to dissolve wood, paper, cotton, fat, human skin, and just about every living tissue. This is why chlorine kills you pretty quickly if you inhale the stuff. Chlorine gas was one of the first chemical weapons invented and used in World War I.

However, mix sodium and chlorine together and the two neutralize each other to form sodium chloride, a harmless, stable chemical compound that we call "table salt". Small to moderate amounts of sodium chloride are found in every living thing on earth. In fact, without the stuff, a person would get sick and die.

Nicotine has a chemical nature much like sodium. In its pure form, which is called "freebase nicotine", it reacts chemically with oxygen in the air, with water, and most other living tissues, destroying them instantly.

Freebase nicotine is highly poisonous and is sometimes used as an insecticide. It makes a good insecticide because it only lasts about half an hour in the environment, being so unstable in the presence of air. In very small amounts, freebase nicotine can be injected into a person's bloodstream and has an effect almost identical to cocaine.

All green, living plants produce and store nicotine. They use the nicotine to produce another chemcal compound called NADP (nicotinic acid adenine dinucleotide phosphate). NADP is what breaks apart water molecules during photosynthesis. Plants make NADP from nitrates and phosphates found in the soil. The common name for nitrates and phosphates is "fertilizer".

The secret to how plants store nicotine, without the nicotine killing them, is that they combine it with other things to make more stable compounds. The common forms of nicotine stored in plants are nicotine citrate, nicotine malate, nicotine sulfate, nicotine oxide (cotinine), and nicotinic acid (vitamin B3, niacin). Like table salt, these compounds formed from nicotine are stable, are not poisonous, are not addictive drugs, and are essential to good human health and nutrition.

The tobacco plant stores its nicotine as a mixture of nicotine citrate and nicotine malate. The tobacco plant happens to produce a lot off nicotine because it grows quickly. Corn and hemp (marijuana) also produce and store nicotine at roughly the same rate as tobacco, because they also can grow six to ten feet in one season.

To give a clear picture of just how unstable freebase nicotine is, let's look at a few facts about it. According to the International Programme on Chemical Safety (IPCS), freebase nicotine has the following physical properties:

Melting Point: -80 degrees Celsius
Boiling Point: 247 degrees Celsius
Flash Point: 95 degrees Celsius
Auto-Ignition Temperature: 240 degrees Celsius
Explosive Limits: 0.7 - 4 percent, by volume, in air
Vapor Pressure at Room Temperature: 0.006 kPa

The interesting thing to note here is that the auto-ignition temperature is lower than the boiling point. This means that, if you heat freebase nicotine in an air free container, it will detonate (explode) before it boils.

Nicotine is so unstable that it does not need to react chemically with anything to have an explosion occur. Its low vapor pressure tells us that nicotine does not evaporate on its own. If you heat it, nicotine will decompose chemically before it boils. Furthermore, in the presence of air, nicotine bursts into flames at a temperature just below the boiling point of water.

For a reference on the physical properties of nicotine, you can check the IPCS:
http://www.inchem.org/documents/icsc/icsc/eics0519.htm

In summary, what the above physical properties are saying is that there is no possible way in this universe, or any other, that a nicotine vapor can exist.
You can not get nicotine by burning tobacco. The nicotine will chemically decompose before a vapor of it is formed. Furthermore, if any nicotine vapor did form by burning tobacco, it would burst into flames before any residual moisture in the tobacco leaves is boiled away.

Now, I realize that the stuff I just said is going to stomp hard on the religion that you have been taught since childhood, but there is no nicotine in tobacco smoke. Never has been and never will be.

When "scientists" study tobacco smoke to measure "nicotine content", they do not actually look for nicotine. They look for a different chemical named "cotinine", which is nicotine oxide.

Cotinine is neither harmful, nor addictive, nor psycho-active.

A great deal of research has been done on cotinine because it blocks the effects of cocaine on the human nervous system and is used medically for detoxification from cocaine addiction.

"Nicotine" is a chemical component of many related compounds, such as nicotine citrate, nicotine sulfate, nicotine malate, nicotine oxide (cotinine) and nicotinic acid (vitamin B3, niacin). Pure, free base, nicotine is a deadly poison, an addictive drug and also a good explosive. The above mentioned compounds containing nicotine however, bear as much resemblance to nicotine as table salt does to metallic sodium, or as water does to hydrogen.

Now, you may ask, if nicotine is so unstable, how do scientists get it to use as a pesticide? The method used to extract freebase nicotine from dried tobacco leaves was discovered in 1828, and can best be summarized by this quote from a 1911 encyclopedia:

NICOTINE, Ci0H14N2, an alkaloid, found with small quantities of nicotimine, C,9H14N2, nicoteine, Ci0Hl2N2, and nicotelline, CioH8N2, in tobacco.

The name is taken from Nicotiana, the tobacco plant, so called after Jean Nicot (1530-1600), French ambassador at Lisbon, who introduced tobacco into France in 1560. These four alkaloids exist in combination in tobacco chiefly as malates and citrates. The alkaloid is obtained from an aqueous extract of tobacco by distillation with slaked lime, the distillate being acidified with oxalic acid, concentrated to a syrup and decomposed by potash.

The free base is extracted by ether and fractionated in a current of hydrogen. It is a colorless oil, which boils at 247 C. (745 mm.), and when pure is almost odorless. It has a sharp burning taste, and is very poisonous.

It is very hygroscopic, dissolves readily in water, and rapidly undergoes oxidation on exposure to air. The free alkaloid is strongly laevo-rotatory. F. Ratz (Mounts., 1905, 26, p. 1241) obtained the value [o]u = 169-54 at 20; its salts are dextro-rotatory. It behaves as a di-acid as well as a di-tertiary base.

Here is a link to the web page of that enclopedia article:
http://77.1911encyclopedia.org/N/NI/NICOTINE.htm

In other words, to get nicotine from tobacco, you would have to soak your dried tobacco leaves in water to produce an "aqueous extract". Then, mix that aqueous extract with slaked lime (calcium hydroxide). Then, mix the distillate with oxalic acid. Then concentrate it into a syrup. Then mix that syrup with some potash (potassium hydroxide). Then distill it again in an atmosphere of flowing ether and hydrogen. Do you take the time to do all this when you smoke a cigarette? Highly doubtful.

Stop to think, the next time you read some b.s. on "nicotine addiction" and realize that all this crap has been based on 75 years of pure "junk science" and propaganda. Who was it that said, "Tell a lie enough times and it becomes the truth?" I believe that the author of this strategy was a certain high ranking officer in the Nazi Party of Germany in the 1930s, which Party was also the origin of today's anti-tobacco religion.

When you burn tobacco, you don't get any freebase nicotine. What you get is an assortment of harmless, stable chemicals that result from the oxidation of nicotine. Visit a drug store and read the ingredients of "nicotine" gum, lozenges and patches. You will find that most of them contain no nicotine, but rather nicotine sulfate or nicotine oxide, or even good old vitamin B3 (nicotinic acid).

The fallacy that makes "nicotine addiction" junk science is that: Yes, if you make freebase nicotine in a chemical laboratory and inject it intravenously, it will act as a potent, addictive drug, and do every evil thing ascribed to nicotine. However, burning the tobacco does not produce any freebase nicotine.

Many double blind studies have already shown that "nicotine" patches, gum and lozenges are no more effective than placebos at stopping a smoking habit. Strictly, scientifically speaking, there is no (freebase) nicotine in tobacco smoke; never has been and never will be.

If you really want to nail the health-nazis to the wall in court, get the research scientists on the witness stand, under oath and penalty of perjury, and ask, "Did you actually measure 1.5 mg of pure, freebase, nicotine in the smoke from that cigarette, or was it actually cotinine that you measured?" The infamous FTC method devised in the 1960's for measuring the "nicotine" content of different brands of cigarettes is a test for cotinine (nicotine oxide). At the time, the researchers said they had to do it that way because it "is not possible to measure nicotine in tobacco smoke because nicotine decomposes too rapidly." A good library or even the web might have a paper telling exactly how the "FTC Method" is done. Do a Google search on "FTC Method" and I bet you find the word "cotinine" in the same paragraph.

Patrick J. Gleason

*I deleted a sentence where I said I thought there is a lot of BS but in reality I have no idea.
added: the problem is that he gives no reference to backup his claims and all the other links I try to open, it says my IP is unauthorised.

Hhhmmmm ....!!!

My take on this is that it is part BS, part truth.

First off, I think that smoking mostly is not about nicotine. The fact he cites is a good point in case: Smokers trying to stop smoking with patches usually are not overly satisfied. So there must me more in smoking than nicotine. One thing for instance are MAO inhibitors - powerful antidepressants that the parma industry has copied to sell as antidepressant drugs. I could imagine that these are quite "addicitve" - in a "self-healing" sense of the word.

I don't know much about the biochemistry of nicotine - but the fact that nicotine and nicotinic acid (niacin) share similar structural similarities doesn't tell much. If you alter a chemical substance only minimally it usually totally changes biological acitivity. I have so far been unable to elucidate the precise link between the two substances - despite trying. Is there a link between the two - I don't know.

I have heard that argument before that what is being measured in smoke is cotinine and not nicotine, as the freebase is chemically too unstable. However I haven't found any solid literature that is proving that - so I am not too sure if that is true. All the literature that I have read so far clearly states nicotine as a component of tobacco smoke.

And nicotine is not the only nicotine compound found in smoke - there is actually a myriad of derivatives that populate tobacco smoke, many of these are not very well researched or understood (some sources claim that there are up to 4000 chemical compounds in tobacco smoke).

There is an interesting monograph available called The chemical components of tobacco and tobacco smoke published in 2008, but the book costs anything between 300 - 350 USD (including the eBook version). They certainly make it hard to read ...

So all in all, I am quite skeptical to the claims above, but I am not ruling out completely that all is as claimed ...

Maybe someone has more information ...

Correction: The book quotes 8400 components of tobacco smoke ...

nicklebleu said:
Hhhmmmm ....!!!

My take on this is that it is part BS, part truth.

Well, that receptors were discovered after nicotine (or whatever is it) isolation from tobacco and were thus named nicotinic acetylcholine receptors, speaks of an effect of tobacco upon anti-inflammatory pathways, cognitive functions that exist and can be measured.

The following study sheds some light of nicotine effects on the brain, although the author (or editors!) try very hard to put nicotine on a bad light, it is clear that the association is positive among certain people with a specific genetic profile:

The possible contribution of neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in depression

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3181734/

Although tobacco use and smoking were introduced long ago, it was only recently that the nicotine contained in the tobacco leaves was recognized as an addictive substance acting on the central nervous system (CNS). However, even prior to this recognition, several studies have reported an association between smoking and psychiatric disorders. One of the many observations was that cessation is accompanied by a marked increase in the probability of major depression. In parallel with the discovery of the neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptors and their extensive expression in the CNS, this association sheds new light on the influence of cholinergic transmission in depression. In this article, we examine the various modes of action of nicotine in the CNS and discuss the mechanisms by which this alkaloid can prevent or precipitate mood disorders, and the possibility of discovering new therapeutic avenues for the treatment of depression.

ACh- acetylcholine
GABA γ-aminobutyric acid
HPA-hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (axis)
5-HT- 5-hydroxytryptamine (serotonin)
nAChR-neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor

The ACh receptors

First called Vagustoff by Loewi, due to its discovery in the heart muscle in 1921, the neurotransmitter ACh exerts many different actions. ACh is synthesized in the terminal bouton and stored in clear vesicles, and is released by nerve activity in the synaptic cleft. After a rapid increase, the ACh concentration quickly declines due to rapid hydrolysis (catalyzed by the enzyme acetylcholinesterase) and diffusion. The determinant role of this enzymatic activity in regulating the cholinergic tone and its brain function was revealed more than 150 years ago, well before the discovery of ACh, with the use of compounds that were later shown to be centrally active anticholinesterase agents.7,8 The observation that injection of physostigmine causes a rapid modification of mood and temporarily reverses acute mania suggested a possible hypersensitivite cholinergic equilibrium.9,10 Although these studies shed a new light on variations in cholinergic tone, they could not tell which receptors were stimulated by the sustained increase in ACh. With progress in molecular biology and genetics, we now know that ACh acts on two types of receptors: the muscarinic receptors and the nicotinic receptors.

[...]

On the basis of the nicotine concentration determined in the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) of smokers,21 which can reach 100 to 200 nM, it is possible to deduce that nicotine should cause a small but sustained [nicotinic] receptor opening.

[...]

The broad distribution of nAChRs [nicotinic receptors] in the CNS suggests that these receptors play a major role in brain physiology. Surprisingly, however, bath application of nicotine to brain slices produces little or no effect, a result that was interpreted as the lack of action of nicotine in the CNS. However, if the neuronal properties are examined more closely, the action of nicotine can be detected in most brain areas. The reason for this discrepancy is mainly due to the method of drug application. When applied in the bath, nicotine provokes both a small activation of the receptors and their desensitization. Because bath application is rather slow, the short-lasting activation is essentially masked by the receptor desensitization. In contrast, when an agonist such as ACh or nicotine is briefly applied to neurons the physiological consequences of the nAChRs can be detected.

It has been shown that activation of nAChRs causes multiple effects according to the localization of the receptor. For example, somatic receptors will cause a depolarization of the neuron and therefore modulate its firing activity, while presynaptic receptors modulate the release of other neurotransmitter, such as dopamine, glutamate, and 5-HT.31 To understand the basis of these neurotransmitter interactions, it should be recalled that a significant fraction of the nAChRs are expressed on presynaptic boutons. Activation of the nAChRs causes two important mechanisms that are (i) depolarization of the synaptic bouton; and (ii) in the case of α7 nAChRs, a significant calcium influx. Both mechanisms provoke an increase in the intracellular calcium concentration, which is known to be the key step in the liberation of the neurotransmitter contained in the vesicle of the synaptic bouton by exocytosis.

While a few experiments have shown that nAChRs can participate in synaptic transmission, it is generally accepted that these receptors have more a modulatory role in neuronal function, rather than a determining role in the fast excitatory pathways. In agreement with these observations, knocking out a given nAChR subunit in mice is not lethal, but was shown to alter behavior.32

Go to:
Nicotine and depression

In view of the modulatory role of nAChRs and their multiple interactions with various neurotransmitter systems, such as dopamine or 5-HT, it is not surprising that an association between nicotine and depression is often reported.3,4 The main pathways associating nicotine and depression are summarized in Table I. During the past 5 years, more than 250 scientific publications have discussed the interaction between nicotine and depression. The main question that remain open is by which mechanisms nicotine could act on the mood and/or depression. To examine this point further, we shall discuss a series of hypotheses that could explain the reported association between nicotine and depression.

[...]

Nicotinic receptors and the HPA axis

Mood disorders, which include depression, are often thought of as a dysfunction or imbalance of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) system. The two major contributions with opposing modulation of the HPA are the amygdala, with a positive action, and the hippocampus, with a negative feedback. We should therefore consider three features of the nicotinic receptors in the HPA system:

The high level and diversity of neuronal nicotinic receptor expression in both hippocampus27,28 and amygdala.44
The importance of nAChRs in the hypothalamus circuits.45
The fact that steroids and mineralocorticoids modulate the nAChRs function.46-48

While both amygdala and hippocampus have a large number of nicotinic receptors, more attention was paid to studies of nicotinic receptor function in the hippocampus.31,49 However, given the complexity of hippocampal circuits and the multiple effects of acute and chronic nicotine exposure, the main outcome of nAChR stimulation remains to be elucidated. Despite our incomplete understanding of nicotine's action on the amygdala and hippocampus circuitry, there is no doubt that exposure to this agent will alter the network activity and may cause an imbalance of the HPA.

Histological analysis of the hypothalamus revealed that this brain area has a high level of nAChR expression.28 Moreover, the functionality of these receptors in the paraventricular nucleus has been demonstrated by electrophysiology.50 Parvocellular and magnocellular neurons that project to the anterior and posterior areas of the pituitary, respectively, have been shown to respond to ACh or nicotine.50 In an attempt to study effects of nicotine withdrawal in an animal model, rats were implanted with minipumps dispensing nicotine. HPA activity was determined on the second day after withdrawal of nicotine using the stress-induced corticosterone response and the dexamethasone suppression test.51 The results obtained by these authors suggest that the lower sensitivity of the HPA axis to stress during nicotine withdrawal may trigger depression during smoking cessation, but glucocorticoid receptor and corticotropin-releasing hormone do not appear to play a significant role in the condition tested. Although our knowledge of the role of the nAChRs in the parvocellular neurons is far from complete, these data demonstrate unequivocally that nicotine can modify the activity of these neurons and could, thereby, change the HPA equilibrium.

The first evidence of a direct action of steroids on nAChRs came from the observation that ACh-evoked currents recorded in cells expressing the α4β2 nAChR are inhibited in a noncompetitive manner by progesterone.52 Following this initial observation, it was shown that this inhibition is mediated by an allosteric interaction of steroids with this subtype of nAChRs. It was also observed that steroids inhibit the function of the α7 receptors. Further studies revealed that, while progesterone inhibit the rat or human α4β2 nAChRs, the neurosteroid 17β-estradiol markedly enhances the response of these receptors.48 These workers also revealed the determinant contribution of the short peptide segment of the human α4 subunit C-terminal end.46,48

Steroids and neurosteroids have also been shown to modulate the inhibitory GABAA receptors and some act through comparable protein interactions.53 Altogether, these data therefore support the correlation reported between neurosteroids and psychopathology.54 When we examine the HPA system, it is important to recall that the adrenal medulla is part of the sympathetic division, but with the particularity that preganglionic fibers terminate directly in the gland. Thus, ACh is the principal neurotransmitter that mediates signaling between the nerve and the gland activity. Moreover, ACh released by the preganglionic fibers is known to activate neuronal nicotinic receptors that result from the assembly of the α3 and β4 subunits. In view of the rather high level of circulating nicotine and its multiple effects on both central and peripheral receptors, the modification of the regulatory circuits of the adrenal gland should not be ignored.

Stress and dramatic changes in hormone levels in postpartum women are often thought to be at the origin of what is now called “postpartum depression.” Despite some association between postpartum depression and smoking, the evidence remains weak, and more thorough studies are needed to reach what is an otherwise tempting conclusion. Although progress has been made in our understanding of the endocrinology leading to hormone therapy and introduction of a wider set of drugs available to a larger fraction of the population, hormone substitution or addition continues to raise a number of concerns.55

Go to:
Smoking and depression

The association between smoking and depression has been reported in many studies.3,4 Moreover, the relationship between smoking and depression is bidirectional and genetic factors may account up to 67 % for smoking initiation, maintenance, and dependence. Notwithstanding, the mechanisms that link smoking and depression are still poorly understood as several factors are acting concomitantly. One hypothesis is that, while, at first, nicotine may exert an anxiolytic effect, its prolonged consumption may switch its action to an anxiogenic effect. To understand how the same compound may act differently as a function of time, it is necessary to examine effects of prolonged nicotine exposure. Postmortem studies in human brain from smokers and nonsmokers revealed a surprising result.56 Namely, a marked difference in the amount of nicotine binding was observed, with an increased binding in smokers’ brains versus nonsmokers’. This observation contradicted the initial theory that a progressive increase in tobacco consumption could be attributed to a reduction in the receptor number, such as that observed in other drugs of abuse and the accompanying so-called downregulation. These studies triggered a renewal of interest in the effects of prolonged nicotine exposure. Chronic exposure to nicotine has also been shown to cause a differential upregulation of the specific receptor subtypes accompanied by selective expression of receptor subtypes in different areas.57,58 Although nicotinic ACh receptor upregulation is a well-accepted phenomenon, debate still exists about the molecular mechanisms that cause such upregulation.

To better understand the outcome of chronic nicotine exposure, it may be necessary to understand the functional status of receptors that are chronically exposed to low agonist concentrations. Use of cells that stably express the human α4β2 nAChRs provided a first set of clues.59 The functional properties were investigated using intracellular recordings and fast agonist application. This revealed that, while the responses of receptors are reduced when recorded in the presence of nicotine, there was a significant increase in cell response and an increase in receptor sensitivity to ACh. These results indicate that, if such mechanisms exist in vivo, chronic exposure to nicotine should cause a dual modification of the physiological properties of nAChRs with, on the one hand, an inhibition when the receptor is exposed to nicotine and, on the other, an increase in response upon removal of the drug. In support of the importance of nicotine effects, a single injection of nicotine in the rat was shown to cause a modification of the physiological properties of nicotinic receptors expressed in hippocampus within a few hours.36 Taken together these data indicate that chronic nicotine exposure triggers a number of cellular processes that induce physiological changes, the outcome of which is specific to the particular subtypes of nicotinic receptors expressed in a given brain area. In addition, prenatal exposure to nicotine transmitted by the mother in the fetal circulation was shown to be sufficient to cause detectable changes in rats.60 Low concentration of this alkaloid in milk was also found to be sufficient to trigger detectable changes in the level and pattern of receptor distribution in the brains of babies.61 This suggests that long-term memory of drug exposure can significantly modify brain function and must be taken into account when analyzing nicotine's effects.

A further complexity in the effects caused by chronic nicotine exposure is the modification of gene expression and alteration of other cellular functions. For example, it was reported that nicotine causes an increase in the number of 5-HT transporters in prefrontal cortex and hippocampus.62 This observation could explain the loss of 5-HT observed in the dorsal hippocampus following chronic nicotine infusion. Since it is known that the dorsal hippocampus may be associated with anxiogenic effects, a reduction in 5-HT in this brain area would be expected to cause an anxiolytic effect.63

Go to:
Nicotinic receptors and sleep disorders

Another association between nicotine and depression is provided by the examination of circadian rhythms. Major depressive disorders are typically characterized by the alteration of sleep, which is thought to further imbalance the patient's equilibrium. On the basis of the observation that the frequency of major depression is increased during nicotine cessation, it was inferred that nicotine could protect against depression.64 In support of this hypothesis, it was reported that administration of nicotine might have beneficial effects on both sleep and depression.65 Together, the high level of expression of nicotinic receptors in the thalamus and the determinant role of thalamocortical loops during sleep further underline the relevance of the nicotinic receptors in sleep regulation. In addition, it was recently shown that nicotine inhibits sleep-promoting neuron activity in rat brain slices.66 These data illustrate the importance of neurotransmitters in the regulation of sleep and suggest that presence of nicotine in the brain may modify sleep control.

The importance of nAChRs function during sleep in humans has been further illustrated by recent genetic analysis. The finding in humans of an association between a genetically transmissible form of nocturnal frontal lobe epilepsy with mutations in the genes that encode for either the α4 or the β2 subunits of the nAChRs shed a new light on the contribution of this family of ligandgated channels to neurological and sleep disorders.67 To date, all mutations analyzed in functional studies have shown an increase in ACh sensitivity.49,68,69 This suggests that this specific form of epilepsy, which is caused by an imbalance between inhibition and excitation, is due to an increase in neuronal nicotinic receptor function.

While providing preliminary evidences of the determining contribution of neuronal nicotinic receptors in neurological disorders, these findings also indicate that mutations in the genes that encode for neuronal nicotinic receptors could play a role in other brain dysfunctions, such as depression.

Go to:
Conclusions

The state “smoking is dangerous for your health” is mainly identified by the general population as meaning that smoking causes cardiovascular and respiratory impairments, while its relevance for psychiatric and mood disorders is generally not considered. The association between smoking cessation and depression is, however, well recognized by specialists and well documented in many clinical studies.

An important step in the understanding of nicotine dependence and the multiple effects caused by chronic exposure of our brain to this alkaloid was made with the discovery of an entire family of genes that encode for ligand-gated channels, which display a high affinity for nicotine and that are widely expressed in the human brain. Since then, numerous studies have addressed the role of nAChRs in mammalian brain and they were found to play an important role in the modulation of neuronal activity and release of neurotransmitters such as dopamine, glutamate, or 5-HT

The identification of interactions between nicotine and compounds typically used in the treatment of depression, such as monoamine reuptake inhibitors, sheds new light on our understanding of the brain pharmacology and opens up new avenues for research into treatments. Finally, polymorphisms and mutations identified in genes encoding for the nAChRs and their association with sleep and neurological disorders provide compelling evidence for the fast-evolving field of pharmacogenomics, and reveals individual differences, comparable to the well-known example of blue or brown eye color, that must be taken into account in the diagnosis and treatment of the multiple forms of depression.

This study from 2010 looks interesting:

Diversity and variability of the effects of nicotine on different cortical regions of the brain - therapeutic and toxicological implications.
Toledano A, Alvarez MI, Toledano-Díaz A.
Source

Instituto Cajal, CSIC, Madrid, Spain. atoledano@cajal.csic.es

_http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20528766

Abstract

Nicotine/nicotine agonists or allosteric modulators of nicotine receptors have been suggested as the most important therapeutic agents in the prevention and clinical control of cognitive impairment which characterize neuropsychiatric and neurodegenerative disorders such as schizophrenia, attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder and Alzheimer's disease. Both clinical studies and animal experiments support the important role of the nicotinic systems in learning, different kind of memory and cognition. For development of nicotinic treatments we have a well characterized lead compound, nicotine. However, the neural nicotinic mechanisms underlying cognitive functions are not well known because the side effects of nicotine overdose have hindered the development of this therapeutical line. The new development of non-toxic, brain specific nicotine drugs need a full knowledge of these mechanism and a reevaluation of the nicotine effects. This review aims to analyze the different kind of effects of nicotine on the Central Nervous System (CNS), especially on the cortex and hippocampus. Nicotine effects are, theoretically and/or practically, of variable character depending on daily dose and time of treatment; on the subtype and density of the different nicotinic receptors existing in the distinct brain regions; on the processes of desensitization and tolerance of nicotinic receptors and on other neuronal factors. Nicotine produces the above mentioned activation of the cognitive functions acting directly or indirectly on cortical neurons. In some experiments, high doses of nicotine can impair memory. This substance induces increases in the glycolytic pathway and Krebs cycle of neurons, as well as brain blood flow. Nicotine also produces an increase in NGF immunoreactivity in frontoparietal cortex. All these neuronal changes may cause different positive effects such as neuroprotection, neuroplasticity and better performance of synaptic circuits. The benefit of other neuronal changes can be matter of discussion such as some modifications in synaptic transmission, the COX-2 increase in frontoparietal cortex and hippocampus or the changes in the antioxidant systems. Finally, other neuronal changes can be of negative effect such as the induction of apoptosis and oxidative stress (DNA damage, ROS and lipid peroxide increase). All these described effects explain both the beneficial and neurotoxic consequences of the activation of the nicotinic receptors. The diversity and variability of the nicotinic effects should take into account when nicotine agonists will be used as a possible cognitive treatment.

They are talking about drugs, but nothing like the natural stuff.

Just got back from the tabac where I had gone for some Yuma Organic. Noticed a new brand down in the "healthy" section...Manitou Organic. It is "Virginia Green" tobacco, whatever that is. The reviews on their facebook page are highly favorable.

Bought a sample pouch. Its interesting that there are some new companies moving into the organically grown/additive free tobacco market. They will certainly get my support.

Rabelais said:
Just got back from the tabac where I had gone for some Yuma Organic. Noticed a new brand down in the "healthy" section...Manitou Organic. It is "Virginia Green" tobacco, whatever that is. The reviews on their facebook page are highly favorable.

Bought a sample pouch. Its interesting that there are some new companies moving into the organically grown/additive free tobacco market. They will certainly get my support.

I was just going to edit this post, but for some reason there was no modify button available, so I'll work from the quote feature.

I finished the last of an open Yuma Organic pouch this evening and opened the Manitou Organic pouch for a try. The first cigarette gave me a buzz as if I hadn't had a smoke in days. It is much stronger than the Yuma, AS and other brands that I have smoked over the past year. This means that I will likely smoke fewer cigarettes daily. The Manitou is a very light golden color (blonde) and the flavor is quite pleasant. The cut is typical European fine shag. Another plus is the Manitou is of the proper moisture, unlike the Yuma which is too dry and often crumbly, sometimes needing re-humidification before rolling. I am definitely switching over to Manitou.

I see that it is available in Australia, but the cost is outrageous... over $30 Australian for a 35 gr pouch. They are also available in the states but I could not find an online source for them. If you come across some I recommend giving it a try. Their facebook page might offer locations of retailers in the US, if asked. They seem to be available in most of Europe.

Rabelais said:
I was just going to edit this post, but for some reason there was no modify button available, so I'll work from the quote feature.

Check out this thread:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,29537.0.html

Rabelais said:
I finished the last of an open Yuma Organic pouch this evening and opened the Manitou Organic pouch for a try. The first cigarette gave me a buzz as if I hadn't had a smoke in days. It is much stronger than the Yuma, AS and other brands that I have smoked over the past year. This means that I will likely smoke fewer cigarettes daily. The Manitou is a very light golden color (blonde) and the flavor is quite pleasant. The cut is typical European fine shag. Another plus is the Manitou is of the proper moisture, unlike the Yuma which is too dry and often crumbly, sometimes needing re-humidification before rolling. I am definitely switching over to Manitou.

I see that it is available in Australia, but the cost is outrageous... over $30 Australian for a 35 gr pouch. They are also available in the states but I could not find an online source for them. If you come across some I recommend giving it a try. Their facebook page might offer locations of retailers in the US, if asked. They seem to be available in most of Europe.

Thanks for the review! Did you buy the pouch in the US? If so, was it about the same cost as AS?

I ordered a new hand roller called Top-O-Matic. It claims to be the world's toughest cigarette machine. Its fantastic! Easy to whip up your stoggies in no time at all. Sooooo much better than the plastic hand cranks. A little pricey but well worth it if you are hand rolling.

www.rollyourown.com

I have been smoking their organic kentucky select. I ordered a 5 pound bag back 3 months ago and still have lots left.

Horseofadifferentcolor said:
I ordered a new hand roller called Top-O-Matic. It claims to be the world's toughest cigarette machine. Its fantastic! Easy to whip up your stoggies in no time at all. Sooooo much better than the plastic hand cranks. A little pricey but well worth it if you are hand rolling.

www.rollyourown.com

I have been smoking their organic kentucky select. I ordered a 5 pound bag back 3 months ago and still have lots left.

I had one of those plastic rollers when I first started rolling tobacco. They make a neat little cigarette, but carrying them around with the pouch and paper in my jeans gets a bit bothersome. So now I'm just rolling by hand. They may be ugly but hey I made them myself :)

Back
Top Bottom