Smoking is... good?

This paper came upon my attention today. Keep in mind that the insular cortex is where most of the Von Economo cells are found. These cells are related to consciousness orientation, energy directors, according the Cs. It is also where empathy seems to arise according to some studies. More below.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20350784

Does insular stroke disrupt the self-medication effects of nicotine?

Schrand JR., Med Hypotheses. 2010 Sep;75(3):302-4.

Abstract

This paper explores the relationship between insular stroke and the disruption of tobacco use.
A functional analysis of the role of the insula in maintaining homeostasis suggests that the insula monitors
hypoxia and applies dyspnea to motivate the individual to regulate breathing. From its’ early usage,
nicotine has been used to treat respiratory disorders. It increases respiratory drive, promoting better
breathing.
Insular stroke likely interferes with this self-regulation. A new self-medication model is proposed
for tobacco use. The effect on public policy is discussed.

Background: the problem

Naqvi et al. [1] found that those who have had an insula lesion
have an increased risk for disruption of smoking activity
(odds ratio
= 22.0) compared to lesions in other areas. [...]

Analysis

Homeostasis and the lowly insula

[...]

The purpose of the insula is to motivate behavior in order to
achieve homeostasis based on feedback from internal and external
senses. The end result of the normal insula is to insure survival of
the fittest. If it feels good, keep doing it. If it feels really good, do
even more of it. If it feels bad, this is something to be avoided.
Try something new to adapt to this changed environment. If it feels
really bad, such as periods of such as unresolved conflict (severe
stress), the system is in serious trouble. Try risky ventures to resolve
this problem.

Our social system places reasonable restrictions on the actions
of individuals when extreme risk taking is harmful, especially to
others. Our social regulatory systems attempt to strike a delicate
balance between unbridled individual freedom and stifling social
control. The problem is determining when these extreme actions
are truly harmful to society and what restrictions are reasonable.
One persons stress relief may be another’s stressor, . . ..a threat.

Stress and respiration

Stress occurs when a threat to physiological equilibrium is perceived.
It influences constructive behavior change in response to an
unbalanced dynamic environment. Mild, short-term stress has a
salutatory effect. However, chronic stress has a weakening effect
on the neuro-immune systems response to life’s traumatic events
and challenges respiration
[5]. Recent studies document the particularly
devastating effects of severe stress from Adverse Childhood
Experiences (ACE’s) [6]. The system is out of balance during the
early development years. Childhood stress is related to asthma
[7,8] and depression in adulthood
[9]. Those with asthma are at increased
risk for depression [10]. Those with stress related respiratory
disorders are in need of treatment.
The insula responds to this
need and encourages medication seeking to achieve homeostasis.

Nicotine as self-medication

Functionally, the purpose of tobacco use is to deliver nicotine, a
CNS and respiratory stimulant
[11]. The Native American population
has used tobacco for 2000 years. Tribal shamans used this
medicinal herb to treat respiratory disorders
[12,13]. In the late
1800’s, physicians used tobacco products to treat asthma [14].
ACE’s have a graded effect on tobacco initiation and use [15],
especially in the current population [16]. Those with ACE’s are
more likely to be depressed in adulthood [17]. Adolescents with
prior or current asthma are 1.5 times as likely to smoke
[18]. It
has been proposed that nicotine is being used as self-treatment
for sleep apnea [19]. It should not be surprising that many are
unknowingly using this medicinal herb to treat stress related respiratory
disorders. Yes, tobacco use has purpose. However, nicotine improves breathing only temporarily as long
as nicotine is in the system.

What is described as ‘‘craving” for nicotine may be no more
than chronic mild dyspnea or air hunger.
It encourages re-administration
as necessary to insure a continuous level of nicotine. Anything
that improves breathing is likely to be compulsive to
maintain homeostasis.

Yes, ask a person to hold their breath for about a minute and see
if the insula does not motivate them to fix that serious problem. If
they follow that with corrective action such as deep breathing or
medication, this action will become compulsive. The potent motivational
aspect of the neuro-respiratory system continues to work.
Homeostasis is maintained. So, what if chronic (social, familial,
work related or battlefield) stress continues to damage the cardiovascular
system to the extent that insular feedback control loop is
compromised?

Insular stroke

A stroke in the right insular cortex reduces the sensitivity to the
perception of dyspnea [3]. These stroke patients would not be
aware of their hypoxic state, and not motivated to continue treatment
with nicotine.
The apparently functional stroke patient will
get lots of positive feedback from health care workers. But, the human
system is still in serious trouble. Having no interest in those
choices that improve life is a sign of depression, common in stroke
patients.

The Naqvi study examined existing stroke patients who are part
of the human laboratory that is already in existence. Insular stroke
must be playing some role in the current cessation process, with
its’ dismal success rate.
However, no study has evaluated how
much.

External homeostasis

While research efforts have focused on internal control systems,
the damaging effects of insular stroke are not specific to
interoceptive homeostasis. Depending on the extent of damage
to the insula, it may also effect the response to the external
senses of vision, hearing and smell, etc
. It may increase or decrease
sensitivity to senses that are involved in the perceived
of external homeostasis.

As noted in Naqvi’s narrative [1], patient N enjoyed smoking for
many years. But, after the stroke, he not only lost his desire to
smoke, but was now ‘‘disgusted by the smell”, a condition similar
to hyperosmia. The entire frame of reference for perception of what
is pleasurable or painful has been shifted.
The insula along with the
amygdala has been found to be responsible for prejudice against
groups that are considered outside the norm
[20]. Because of this
pathological condition, sights, sounds and smells of individuals
that were once normal may now be perceived as something to
be avoided or controlled, . . ..a threat.

[...]

Conclusion

As compulsive as tobacco use is in many of those with respiratory
disorders, the complex and dynamic tobacco use system fits
into the self-medication model. The solution is a better analysis
of how the system works. This should lead to better treatments
for stress related respiratory disorders, especially in childhood,
military and Veteran populations. Further research is needed to
determine the role of insular stroke in lifestyle control programs
such as tobacco, obesity, alcohol, drug abuse and homelessness.

I wonder if there could be a relationship between Authoritarian followers and their non-smoking activism, pathology and/or anomalies that involves a different neural circuit in the brain. Von Economo cells are found in rich concentrations in the insular cortex:

[Von Economo neurons and insular cortex - the bridge between soma and psyche].
Neuropsychiatr. 2010;24(1):64-6.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20146921

New research suggests a pivotal role of the anterior insular cortex for the integration of somatic sensation and for intuitive decisions in complex social situations. Functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) has demonstrated a close coupling between the anterior insular cortex and the anterior cingulate gyrus, the only areas with von Economo-neurons. These large spindle cells are exclusively found in species with complex social lifes (apes, cetaceans). Observations in humans showed decreased numbers of von Economo neurons in patients with frontotemporal dementia, or agenesis of the corpus callosum, conditions with impaired theory of mind and interpersonal behaviour. It almost appears as if spindle cells would reach out from the realm of subconscious gut-feelings into the premises of conscious prefrontal planning.

It is interesting the comment about impaired smell, considering that psychopaths have poor sense of smell:

Psychopaths Have Poor Sense of Smell, Study Finds
http://www.sott.net/article/251469-Psychopaths-Have-Poor-Sense-of-Smell-Study-Finds

The insular cortex is also associated with processes related with empathy. Not surprising considering it has the Von Economo cells.

Area of the Brain That Processes Empathy Identified

_http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121024175240.htm

An international team led by researchers at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York has for the first time shown that one area of the brain, called the anterior insular cortex, is the activity center of human empathy, whereas other areas of the brain are not. The study is published in the September 2012 issue of the journal Brain.

Empathy, the ability to perceive and share another person's emotional state, has been described by philosophers and psychologists for centuries. In the past decade, however, scientists have used powerful functional MRI imaging to identify several regions in the brain that are associated with empathy for pain. This most recent study, however, firmly establishes that the anterior insular cortex is where the feeling of empathy originates.

"Now that we know the specific brain mechanisms associated with empathy, we can translate these findings into disease categories and learn why these empathic responses are deficient in neuropsychiatric illnesses, such as autism," said Patrick R. Hof, MD, Regenstreif Professor and Vice-Chair, Department of Neuroscience at Mount Sinai, a co-author of the study. "This will help direct neuropathologic investigations aiming to define the specific abnormalities in identifiable neuronal circuits in these conditions, bringing us one step closer to developing better models and eventually preventive or protective strategies."

Xiaosi Gu, PhD, who conducted the research in the Department of Psychiatry at Mount Sinai, worked with researchers from the United States and China, to evaluate Chinese patients, at Beijing Tiantan Hospital, who were shown color photographs of people in pain. Three patients had lesions caused by removing brain tumors in the anterior insular cortex; nine patients had lesions in other parts of the brain and 14 patients (the controls) had neurologically intact brains. The research team found that patients with damage restricted to the anterior insular cortex had deficits in explicit and implicit empathetic pain processing.

"In other words, patients with anterior insular lesions had a hard time evaluating the emotional state of people in pain and feeling empathy for them, compared to the controls and the patients with anterior cingulate cortex lesions." said Dr. Jin Fan, corresponding author of this study and an assistant professor at the Department of Psychiatry at Mount Sinai.

According to Dr. Gu, this study provides the first evidence suggesting that the empathy deficits in patients with brain damage to the anterior insular cortex are surprisingly similar to the empathy deficits found in several psychiatric diseases, including autism spectrum disorders, borderline personality disorder, schizophrenia, and conduct disorders, suggesting potentially common neural deficits in those psychiatric populations.

"Our findings provide strong evidence that empathy is mediated in a specific area of the brain," said Dr. Gu, who now works at University College London. "The findings have implications for a wide range of neuropsychiatric illnesses, such as autism and some forms of dementia, which are characterized by prominent deficits in higher-level social functioning."

This study suggests that behavioral and cognitive therapies can be developed to compensate for deficits in the anterior insular cortex and its related functions such as empathy in patients. These findings can also inform future research evaluating the cellular and molecular mechanisms underlying complex social functions in the anterior insular cortex and develop possible pharmacological treatments for patients.

The study was funded by the National Institute of Health, the James S. McDonnell Foundation and a Brain and Behavior Research Foundation NARSAD young investigator award.

I wonder if this the smoking genetic make-up. A souled person who is distressed and in need to improve their breathing functions and pathologicals could not care less about relieving this distress. It is also interesting how many of us smoke AND do EE, while other breathing program practitioners just try to overcompensate by doing breathing exercises alone.

And it seems psychopaths don't have much von Economo cells:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,15927.0.html

(Psyche) I have a question. When we were discussing with I**** some type of cells that are located mainly in the frontal lobe of the brain, it seems that nobody knows what they are for. They are called spindle cells or "von Economo neurons" if I remember the name correctly. What are their function?

A: Consciousness orientation.

Q: (Ailén) Hmm.

(Andromeda) So I guess having a lot of those would be good?

(Burma Jones) So, is that like a registration bin for consciousness to figure out how to keep itself...

A: Energy directors.

Q: (Joe) Can you get more of them?

A: You may.

Q: (Joe) I wonder if those cells have anything to do with the third eye, like when you do the breathing and you look up...

A: Close, more like a "homing device".

Q: (Joe) A homing device for aliens?

A: Wave reader. {Cs refer to souled humans as “Wave Reading Consciousness Units.}

Q: (Ailén) I**** was saying that they're huge cells. Right? (Psyche) Yeah. She was wondering if they could be related to psychopathy, like the lack of those cells...

A: Oh yes.

Q: (Andromeda) Hmm...

(Ailén) She said there were some studies about schizophrenics not having so many of them also.

Just how bad are industrial cigarettes? I normally smoke additive free roll-ups, but every so often I enjoy a normal cigarette - Lucky Strike or Marlboro. Its usually after EE, but other times roll-ups just don't cut it, and the feel of a prerolled is nicer for me.

After i got back from summer stress at work, i started to smoke like crazy. Then, i stopped, and a month back from now i started again. The feeling is: calmed, better thinking/studying and focus, more energy; in one word- excellent!
I do not smoke industrial cigarettes, they are filled with chemicals and they taste awful in comparison to
nice homey golden stuff.
The chemicals make you persistent in preferring so called 'normal cigarette'.

Explorer said:
Just how bad are industrial cigarettes? I normally smoke additive free roll-ups, but every so often I enjoy a normal cigarette - Lucky Strike or Marlboro. Its usually after EE, but other times roll-ups just don't cut it, and the feel of a prerolled is nicer for me.

The appeal of industrial cigarettes comes from the higher levels of freebase nicotine which they achieve by adding ammonia compounds. Freebase nicotine goes to the brain much faster giving you that nicotine rush, which I've never experienced with natural tobacco.

Mr. Premise said:
Explorer said:

The appeal of industrial cigarettes comes from the higher levels of freebase nicotine which they achieve by adding ammonia compounds. Freebase nicotine goes to the brain much faster giving you that nicotine rush, which I've never experienced with natural tobacco.

Exactly! It was most vivd sensation to me, when the first time I got the additive free (though not yet organic) rolling tobacco i noticed rather a sharpening of attention and slight arousal than a need to sit down because of dizziness. Besides all, the chemicals can just be tasted, a breath and aftertaste (or the smell of the interiors) from industrial cigarettes is very different from natural tobacco, IMO.

ametist said:
Mr. Premise said:
Explorer said:

Exactly! It was most vivd sensation to me, when the first time I got the additive free (though not yet organic) rolling tobacco i noticed rather a sharpening of attention and slight arousal than a need to sit down because of dizziness. Besides all, the chemicals can just be tasted, a breath and aftertaste (or the smell of the interiors) from industrial cigarettes is very different from natural tobacco, IMO.

I find I get more of a kick from the Drum Additive Free I smoke, while industrial smokes kinda heat my brain up. Little awkward, but that is the best way to describe it. But ammonia? That stuff is toxic. They use it to clean floors don't they? Gross.

The problem is that it shouldn't be used to even clean the floors, but since they do, how does it matter if it's in your cigarettes if you already are inhaling/ingesting that and so much other toxic stuff. That's the point about the sources of toxicity, even industrial cigarettes would come last on the list of things in your own household.

ametist said:
The problem is that it shouldn't be used to even clean the floors, but since they do, how does it matter if it's in your cigarettes if you already are inhaling/ingesting that and so much other toxic stuff. That's the point about the sources of toxicity, even industrial cigarettes would come last on the list of things in your own household.

Well, I'd imagine combusting it and inhaling it is worse. After a bit of reading I've also found out they use radioactive fertilizer with industrial tobacco, something which will undoubtedly remain once it is processed into a cigarette. Pretty nasty.

Intersting study here on how nicotine stimulates blood vessel growth:

http://news.healingwell.com/index.php?p=news1&id=600084

Nicotine Can Boost Blood Vessel Growth

FRIDAY, Dec. 15 (HealthDay News) -- Nicotine may not be all bad: A study found it stimulated new blood vessel growth in mice by actively signaling their bone marrow to release vessel-forming adult stem cells.

The finding might translate to the use someday of nicotine as a means of helping wound healing and other conditions where new blood vessel growth is key, experts say. It also gives insight into unwanted vessel growth, such as that which happens during tumor formation.

The findings don't mean doctors will ever recommend smoking, however.

"I don't want people to think that smoking is good for you," cautioned co-author Dr. John P. Cooke, a professor of medicine at Stanford University's School of Medicine in California. "Tobacco smoke contains 4,000 compounds, and nicotine is just one of them. And what we've discovered is that nicotine alone can cause blood vessel growth."

"Blood vessel growth is like fire," Cooke added. "It's neither good nor bad. So, certainly nicotine-associated blood vessel formation can cause problems, in the context of enhancing tumor growth, causing macular degeneration and blindness, or promoting coronary plaque. But, on the other hand, knowing that this phenomenon occurs, we can potentially manipulate it in a way that can be therapeutic -- such as to enhance insufficient wound healing where part of the problem is related to poor blood vessel growth."

The findings, based on animal and test-tube research, are reported in the Dec. 19 issue of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology.

Cooke's team's prior research had already demonstrated nicotine's ability to promote blood vessel growth, known as the "angiogenic effect." In this new study, they set out to uncover the mechanism driving this process.

The researchers first took several pairs of 10-week old male and female mice and surgically sewed them together -- male to female -- at their flanks. The suturing provoked the development of a shared circulatory system.

About four weeks after this procedure was performed, the authors surgically instigated a blood vessel blockage in the hind limb of the female mouse.

The purpose was to test the notion that a dose of nicotine might induce new blood vessels to grow around the blockage by triggering the mice's bone marrow to release adult stem cells. These cells, called EPCs, are released from marrow into the bloodstream, where they migrate to the site of injury.

The only way to tell that the blood-forming cells were coming from bone marrow and not arising at the site of injury (on the female's flank) was to track markers specific to the male mouse's cells, the researchers explained.

But would nicotine speed this angiogenic process? To test the theory, the researchers exposed some of the mouse pairs to a daily oral dose of nicotine mixed with saccharine and water soon after surgery. The other mouse pairs received a localized injection of nicotine directly into the limb with the blockage.

Over the course of a two-week nicotine diet, Cooke's team tracked the progress of bone marrow cell production and circulation in the paired mice.

Nicotine treatment was associated with a boost in the number of EPC stem cells in both the bone marrow and spleen of the conjoined mice, the researchers report. This was backed up by further lab tests.

In addition, some of the new blood vessels that formed around the hind limb blockage during nicotine treatment were made up of those EPC cells originating in the marrow, the team said.

Cooke and his colleagues also found that the oral dose of nicotine had a stronger effect on blood vessel growth than the local injection. The oral dose provoked a 76 percent increase in capillary density at the site of the blockage vs. a 45 percent increase from targeted injections.

Not all the blood vessel growth was attributable to EPC cells mobilized into action by nicotine, Cooke's team stressed, and the exact mechanism driving nicotine's angiogenic effect remains unclear.

Nevertheless, the finding suggest that nicotine-based agents may have a role to play in boosting blood vessel formation in patients who need it.

All of this is separate from nicotine's dangerously addictive properties in tobacco products, however.

"We know nicotine is bad," agreed Dr. Byron K. Lee, an assistant professor of cardiology at the University of California, San Francisco. "The way most of society consumes it can cause heart attacks and cancer and leads to other vascular diseases like stroke."

"But there could be a situation where you could release nicotine to have some beneficial effects," he noted, "for example, in a small part of the body where there's blockage of the arteries that feed the heart. Because we know that, over time, the body develops new blood vessels that relieve the pain. But that process takes months to years to form. So, if we could somehow use nicotine to get those areas to spring new blood vessels faster, we could help people."

"We're not there yet," Lee added. "None of the studies have fully panned out yet. But we should try to see whether or not nicotine works, and if it happens to work, then it could be potentially fantastic."

Shane said:

...Nicotine may not be all bad:...

This study (rather gruesome) reminded me of what Joe Vialls said in this page of his, especially as they were using mice and radiation (rather gruesome, too):

_http://www.steveseymour.co.uk/joeviallscouk/transpositions/smoking.html

Smoking Helps Protect Against Lung Cancer
And here are some of the mice who helped to prove it!

Remember, for any theory to be accepted scientifically, it must first be proven in accordance with rigorous requirements universally agreed by scientists. First the suspect agent [tobacco smoke] must be isolated, then used in properly controlled laboratory experiments to produce the claimed result, i.e. lung cancer in mammals. Despite exposing literally tens of thousands of especially vulnerable mice and rats to the equivalent of 200 cigarettes per day for years on end, “medical science” has never once managed to induce lung cancer in any mouse or rat. Yes, you did read that correctly. For more than forty years, hundreds of thousands of medical doctors have been deliberately lying to you.

The real scientists had the quasi medical researchers by the throat, because “pairing” the deadly radioactive particle experiment with the benign tobacco smoke experiment, proved conclusively for all time that smoking cannot under any circumstances cause lung cancer. And further, in one large “accidental” experiment they were never allowed to publish, the real scientists proved with startling clarity that smoking actually helps to protect against lung cancer.

All mice and rats are used one-time-only in a specific experiment, and then destroyed. In this way researchers ensure that the results of whatever substance they are testing cannot be accidentally “contaminated” by the real or imagined effects of another substance. Then one day as if by magic, a few thousand mice from the smoking experiment “accidentally” found their way into the radioactive particle experiment, which in the past had killed every single one of its unfortunate test subjects. But this time, completely against the odds, sixty percent of the smoking mice survived exposure to the radioactive particles. The only variable was their prior exposure to copious quantities of tobacco smoke.

So, stimulating blood vessel growth and surviving radiation exposure, all the while in the latter experiment the smoking mice had to inhale crappy tobacco, and a lot of it, not good organic leaf (oral does of nicotine for the former experiment).

A note on smoking and social ostracism:

Recently a colleague and i had headed to find something to eat during a conference lunch break, and we stopped while smoking and talked. Two of our colleagues walked buy and said something like, well we know you have read the science of what you are doing, and laughed and walked on. We looked at each other rolling our eyes and joined them in the restaurant, where there of course was noting healthy to eat. Those two however had the biggest bread sandwiches dripping in sauce you could order, and thought about all that lovely wheat gluten they were ingesting and said not a word.

voyageur said:
Shane said:

...Nicotine may not be all bad:...

This study (rather gruesome) reminded me of what Joe Vialls said in this page of his, especially as they were using mice and radiation (rather gruesome, too):

_http://www.steveseymour.co.uk/joeviallscouk/transpositions/smoking.html

Smoking Helps Protect Against Lung Cancer
And here are some of the mice who helped to prove it!

Remember, for any theory to be accepted scientifically, it must first be proven in accordance with rigorous requirements universally agreed by scientists. First the suspect agent [tobacco smoke] must be isolated, then used in properly controlled laboratory experiments to produce the claimed result, i.e. lung cancer in mammals. Despite exposing literally tens of thousands of especially vulnerable mice and rats to the equivalent of 200 cigarettes per day for years on end, “medical science” has never once managed to induce lung cancer in any mouse or rat. Yes, you did read that correctly. For more than forty years, hundreds of thousands of medical doctors have been deliberately lying to you.

The real scientists had the quasi medical researchers by the throat, because “pairing” the deadly radioactive particle experiment with the benign tobacco smoke experiment, proved conclusively for all time that smoking cannot under any circumstances cause lung cancer. And further, in one large “accidental” experiment they were never allowed to publish, the real scientists proved with startling clarity that smoking actually helps to protect against lung cancer.

All mice and rats are used one-time-only in a specific experiment, and then destroyed. In this way researchers ensure that the results of whatever substance they are testing cannot be accidentally “contaminated” by the real or imagined effects of another substance. Then one day as if by magic, a few thousand mice from the smoking experiment “accidentally” found their way into the radioactive particle experiment, which in the past had killed every single one of its unfortunate test subjects. But this time, completely against the odds, sixty percent of the smoking mice survived exposure to the radioactive particles. The only variable was their prior exposure to copious quantities of tobacco smoke.

So, stimulating blood vessel growth and surviving radiation exposure, all the while in the latter experiment the smoking mice had to inhale crappy tobacco, and a lot of it, not good organic leaf (oral does of nicotine for the former experiment).

A note on smoking and social ostracism:

Recently a colleague and i had headed to find something to eat during a conference lunch break, and we stopped while smoking and talked. Two of our colleagues walked buy and said something like, well we know you have read the science of what you are doing, and laughed and walked on. We looked at each other rolling our eyes and joined them in the restaurant, where there of course was noting healthy to eat. Those two however had the biggest bread sandwiches dripping in sauce you could order, and thought about all that lovely wheat gluten they were ingesting and said not a word.

The ignorance of people who act like this really gets on my nerves. It can be hard to bite your tongue. I mean, whose business is it if you want to have a smoke? Its not like your blowing it in their face or anything. Jeez...

I have only recently started smoking (about two weeks ago)! :scared: ;D

And I have to say I have been missing out on something no short of amazing. It is incredibly relaxing, calming - it brings my consciousness into razor sharp focus and completely clarifies it - it's almost like an antidote for lizzy emotional attack and control! :evil: :P

And it doesn't act like a conventional drug at all - instead of altering my perception so that I see reality with rose colored glasses it actually, as the shaman in Laura's article about smoking said, helps me see the world AS IT IS - without judgment and prejudice - it enables you to just SEE.

On the side note I'm not smoking the industrial cigarettes full of chemicals, pesticides and what not. I find the Moods brand very tasty, extremely practical and effective. Also, they aren't wrapped in paper but in a tobacco leaf which is just awesome - it lasts almost half an hour.

Currently, my dose is one per day - I doubt that I could handle more now since these are pure tobacco and quite strong - I could barely smoke them in the very beginning. :cool2: :cool:

Also, it came to my mind that smoking is very similar to Eiriu-Eolas in terms of effects it produces in the body and mind. :halo:

Some of these days i'll celebrate a year of smoking experience :-[(thx to forumhood here). I smoke handmade (of my own) ciggies with Sauvage tobacco (? additive free-it's written on cover) and also Moods cigarillos occasionally. So Domagoj welcomw to the club and happy anniversary to me-self!
HeHe HeHe :cool2:

Yozilla D'monster

Yozilla said:
Some of these days i'll celebrate a year of smoking experience :-[(thx to forumhood here). I smoke handmade (of my own) ciggies with Sauvage tobacco (? additive free-it's written on cover) and also Moods cigarillos occasionally. So Domagoj welcomw to the club and happy anniversary to me-self!
HeHe HeHe :cool2:

Yozilla D'monster

It's been 3 years since I started smoking after a 25 year break. I really enjoy it. Lifts my mood, focuses my attention on the real world. I started after reading the research presented here and deep thought and deliberation on my part.

I smoke whole leaf tobacco mostly, blended with AS organic in a corn cob pipe. I use snus at work since they have a "no tobacco" policy.

:cool2: :rockon:

Mac

I have to say I am extremely interested in this thread. I started smoking when I was about 13 years old and was never heavily addicted or a heavy smoker of cigarettes. I would have about 10 a day when I was at University and more when I was drinking on a night out or something of that nature. I gave up after Unviersity as I wasn't really into it anymore and thought it was possibly negatively affecting my fitness for tennis, which I play to a serious standard at the moment.

What I am really interested in is the actually nitty gritty of how we have been lied to, if that is the case. I spoke to my friend about the study cited recently in this thread, saying there has never been any evidence for cigarettes causing lung cancer. I was not 'surprised' but it was very interesting for me. My friend replied with a lot of skepticism (naturally), and said a great deal of what he thought might be the consequences of this being true in an attempted reductio ad absurdum. His view seemed fairly well researched and it made me wonder, how exactly have they been able to get away with convincing everyone it causes lung cancer if there is no evidence to support it? This may seem a silly question as I know that the 'ptb' are able to convince almost anyone of almost anything, but I hope my query is understood.

My friend sent me these two links to published scientific papers and I wonder what members of the forum think about this and how one who understands this issue might reply.

These are the two links:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17661225

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17661221

These are just little examples of what I assume are the kinds of things medicine uses to justify the claim that cigarettes cause lung cancer. So where does the lying come into it? I hope I have been slightly comprehensible here...

Back
Top Bottom