Smoking is... good?

I'm very new to smoking as I only started in May this year, but so far it's not going as well as I had hoped. It's been three months, and although the dizziness and nausea have gotten better, I still need to recover after every cigarette. I get really weak and need to sit down for around half an hour, sometimes more, and I get very chilly, to the point of shivering. I can also get quite anxious for no reason, so cigarettes aren't much of a mood enhancer for me. Initially I had some sleeping problems too, but luckily they have now disappeared.

I smoke natural tobacco with no additives (I tried a few different brands), with natural paper and filters. Commercial brands don't work for me as they make me feel even worse and I cough a lot.

I read in this thread that others had similar issues when they first started and I wonder if this will get better? I noticed that those who posted about similar issues to mine ended up quitting (or stopped posting, so I don't know how their cigarette journey unfolded), and those who reported feeling quite well continued to smoke, so I'm wondering if maybe I'm pushing water uphill here?

My mom and her husband, who are very open-minded about alternative health stuff, also started smoking with me but neither of them have similar issues. I know that the C's said that certain people benefit form smoking more if they fit a certain profile, but the way I see it is that all the studies quoted here and posted on SOTT about benefits of smoking weren't done on people who necessarily fit that profile, so cigarettes have positive impact for the wider population, right? The only reason why I'm keeping at it is precisely those benefits.

The kicker is, that I actually enjoy smoking while it lasts, I only smoke one cigarette a day and I look forward to my daily smoking walk. It's the after-effects that I'm not too keen on and I make sure to start walking back when I'm halfway through my cigarette so I can sit down and recover.

So I guess my question is: is there anybody here who struggled initially for months but the issues eventually disappeared?

There's a thread about e-cigarettes as an alternative, but I don't particularly like the idea of inhaling propylene glycol. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe nicotine patches would be a good alternative. I'll push it to six months and see how it goes from there I guess.

If it's been 3 months and you're still having those issues it could be that you just do not fit the profile of a smoker. I thought I remembered the Cs saying that if you have to struggle to do it then it's not for you.

I made my peace with that a long time ago.😁
I agree. After three months I'd take it as a signal that smoking wasn't for me. You could try the patches or gum or the nicotine pouches starting at a low dose (I started too high and felt nauseous with the pouches).

Smoking seems to be beneficial for some people rather than everyone so I don't think it's a good idea to force it.

If it's been 3 months and you're still having those issues it could be that you just do not fit the profile of a smoker. I thought I remembered the Cs saying that if you have to struggle to do it then it's not for you.

I made my peace with that a long time ago.😁
I agree. After three months I'd take it as a signal that smoking wasn't for me. You could try the patches or gum or the nicotine pouches starting at a low dose (I started too high and felt nauseous with the pouches).

Smoking seems to be beneficial for some people rather than everyone so I don't think it's a good idea to force it.
I third this. When I learned of the benefits of smoking on the forum and from the C's, I really wanted to fit that profile but personally smoking makes me feel very awful afterwards and I feel much better cutting it out. This is a good reminder that it's important to listen our own body & signals as much as information.

Definitely, that whole smoker profile is really a thing, I have friends who smoke every day all day and they're totally fine, if I overdo-it, I start to feel bad, so not for everyone, Although, I would have a few considerations, specially since you do enjoy a part of it.

What brand are you using or have you used? and also what leaves are in the mixes of tobacco? I think that matters too, I've tried several ones like Burley and that one kicked my behind very badly, some Turkish ones which were sweeter also made me nauseous, same thing with Dominican leaves. Darker leaves tend to disagree with me for some reason, even though they're very tasty and smell phenomenal. So I've settled for organic Canadian Virginia, which is a blonde leaf, very herby and fresh.

Another thing to consider would be, depending on how much you're buying, and if you're smoking one cigarette a day, the tobacco that remains unused for a while dries up or ferments, depending on how it's stored, which can definitely change the taste and the consistency of the smoke and that can also be super strong and hit you hard.

I also get immediately nauseous with commercial cigarettes. Part of it is the tobacco and whatever they add to the paper and leaves that stinks so awfully, but.. personally, the filters also, as they get hot they leak this plastic tasting thing, which is awful. So, are you using filters?

I have also noticed that when I smoke too much, I seem to have a natural limit that my body lets me know I've hit by making me nauseous, so I just stop for several hours or for the rest of the day. So perhaps, it may be a measure thing.. you could try, if you're up for it.. not to smoke a whole cigarette in one go, just take a few puffs throughout the day and leave it and come back, maybe you can get the best of both worlds.

Just a few ideas, it may be that in the end, smoking tobacco is not your thing, but I figured I'd mention the above. There's also vaping if you're keen.

The kicker is, that I actually enjoy smoking while it lasts, I only smoke one cigarette a day and I look forward to my daily smoking walk. It's the after-effects that I'm not too keen on and I make sure to start walking back when I'm halfway through my cigarette so I can sit down and recover.
I can relate to your experience a bit. I definitely do not fit the profile of a smoker, but as mentioned earlier in this thread, I do use tobacco from time to time as a supplement. I don't enjoy the taste at all, but I do enjoy the feeling of smoking and my smoking walk like you do.

When I first started smoking I had a few episodes of dizziness, one quite serious when I smoked too much at once and felt tingling, was totally dizzy and couldn't walk for a while. But it was definitely my fault, I smoked too much. I think the amount you smoke is important. It also depends on the tobacco variety.

I learned to feel when to stop and what is optimal. When I prepare my cigarettes, I cut them in half and usually smoke only one half a day. There are days when I can smoke more, but sometimes even half is too much for me.

You can try similar approach. Whenever you are smoking on a walk and you feel the need to turn around and sit down, it means you have been smoking too much. Try to stop when you still feel comfortable and don't have any thoughts about after-effects coming. It can be as soon as two puffs.

I learned that I really enjoy pipe smoking more than cigarettes, (besides I look more intelligent smoking it) just joking! But is true I like it more.
The quantity of nicotine is higher that way, but I can’t do more than 2 pipes per day.
Or it would be 1 pipe and 1 or 2 cigarettes per day, I don’t crave smoking (I can stay days without it) but I do feel good mind and stress wise if I smoke, also the taste is not an issue for me, except if it’s too strong, I like the light tobacco flavors, otherwise I’ll get dizzy!

I'm almost sure I don't fit the "profile" for smoking. As I said in a previous post somewhere, I bought Nicotiana Rustica Wild tobacco and I smoke it with a pipe. I can't light it properly to start with (it's always put out) and the smoke gets a little harsh for me once it's half burnt and I must re-light it.
I can only take a couple of puffs, then I get dizzy. So I usually sit in the backyard and meditate while the "buzz" lasts, then I'm back doing my chores. I don't try to inhale more than my body can handle, and it varies each day. Also, I don't smoke every day either. I prefer the pipe because I find it wastes less tobacco than a cigarette.

Another thing to consider would be, depending on how much you're buying, and if you're smoking one cigarette a day, the tobacco that remains unused for a while dries up or ferments, depending on how it's stored, which can definitely change the taste and the consistency of the smoke and that can also be super strong and hit you hard.
Thanks for the reminder. I just wrote Leaf Only to ask them what would be the best way to store it. Even though I only purchased their sample bags, it's still a lot of tobacco for me!

Yeah, if smoking isn’t something for you no need to force it. Some need/benefit from it others don’t. Simple as that.

By the way, I never experienced the famous coughing while smoking not even for my first cigarette/-s. And that holds true even though I smoke the strongest natural tobacco I could find without filters for over a decade now. I need to feel the smoke quite distinctly in my lungs. What I do have noticed (very seldomly though!) is that I can get quite dizzy for about 30 seconds to a minute after I smoke the first cigarette in the morning. That happens maybe 2 times a year or so and I smoke daily and quite a lot.

The leaf tobacco can be left in the bag and if it gets dry then spray a bit of water on it using a spray bottle that allows for a fine mist. Do that the day before you want to use it. Be careful, not too much, otherwise it becomes too wet to smoke. After shredding some of it that can be kept in a mason jar or other air tight container. I would guess that storing it in the frig would slow down any potential fermentation process. Dunno, I've never seen that happen.

Last edited:
Be careful, not too much, otherwise it becomes too wet to smoke. After shredding some it that can be kept in a mason jar or other air tight container. I would guess that storing it in the frig would slow down any potential fermentation process. Dunno, I've never seen that happen.

Also, I understand that if it gets too humid there is a potential for mold growing overtime.

Also, I understand that if it gets too humid there is a potential for mold growing overtime.
Yes, that's a risk as well, but it would need to be sitting there for a long time, and in a humid environment.

Thanks for the reminder. I just wrote Leaf Only to ask them what would be the best way to store it. Even though I only purchased their sample bags, it's still a lot of tobacco for me!
I remember when I traveled to their store in CT, that they had all the shredded tobacco stored in glass jars, that's the way I keep it, so far no trouble.

@Ant22 - have you tried cigarillos? That’s what I started out with, and at some stage I moved on to rollies. The filter might also be the problem. I use now only rolled card-board strips, which do not filter anything, just prevent the tobacco from crumbling into your mouth.

But I also agree with others, that pushing too hard is likely to be of no benefit. And smoking studies were made mostly with “already smokers”, so there is probably a huge bias built in there, too.

I know that the C's said that certain people benefit form smoking more if they fit a certain profile, but the way I see it is that all the studies quoted here and posted on SOTT about benefits of smoking weren't done on people who necessarily fit that profile, so cigarettes have positive impact for the wider population, right? The only reason why I'm keeping at it is precisely those benefits.

If you read old sessions carefully, it seems that the benefits come from nicotine, and not necessarily smoking. Of course, smoking has been for years the easiest and most direct delivery method. But the Cs also said that it wasn't for everyone. and that it was toxic in other ways. It really just depends on the person, I think. Your description definitely indicates that you don't fit the profile.

As for vaping, we'll have to see, it's still an experiment. For me, so far it has been better than smoking, but I also had the "profile"/need for nicotine before, and never had any problem when I started smoking. I'd recommend that you keep up with that thread for more ideas that might develop there.

Maybe try to find other sources of nicotine, to have as "medicine" in case it's needed? That's what I would do in your case, rather than to keep forcing myself to smoke. Some aren't great (like Velo/zim that Tucker Carlson uses, or lozenges or chewing gums), because they had artificial sweeteners and such. I'm sure we'll come up with healthier options. But in the meantime, if you want some nicotine, something like that might be easier for you?

Back
Top Bottom