So I went to Moscow.. from the US...

Thank you SubnetUnMask I love to hear from people, and see pictures of Russia. I enoyed the videos posted earlier in the year done by the Russian youth themselves too.
Your pictures are so vibrant and crystal clear, not seen such photos of the Kremlin with such clarity. Were you using special gadgets? Love them.
I'll post some more - I just took pictures with my iphone - looking back I wish I had taken more. The forum here does not compress the image files so they come out very crisp.

IMG_2074.JPGIMG_2137.JPGIMG_2231.JPGIMG_2221.JPGIMG_2239.JPG

IMG_2277.JPG

IMG_2303.JPGIMG_2334.JPG
The burger restaurant had a "TRUMP" Burger! I almost went up and asked "Hey! I'm American, can I get that TRUMP burger with a discount? I voted for him too!" LOL. I refrained from embarrassing myself.

The city center at night was wonderful, all of the buildings with their unique lighting - I really wish I had taken more video/pics.

My first personal contact with Russian land and its people was in the 90's. To be honest I had no special expectations what I would see as I had already seen many other countries before with cultures very much different from the US. The Mighty Wurlitzer in the US made sure that we Americans viewed the Russians as being strange aliens that had little in common with us, so I had some preconceived views. The use of fear does a great job in doing this as we can see with Covid-Mask Cult today. But the moment I landed and stayed for a little while I realized Russians are just regular people who speak a different language and live in a different part of the World. Went to work, had families, went to schools etc.

What I find interesting is how easily The Mighty Wurlitzer in the US has been able to ingrain the image that the Russian government is the most evil government in the world, ready to burn the place down at any moment. Not for a second do most people think that instead of Russia it is the US that is ready the burn the whole place down. Neh, that is simply impossible ;-)

Propaganda (shaping of opinions) works. It works in every country.

PS: For our Russian friends who might not knows this, here is how some parts of large US cities look today. Since 2007 this problem has gotten worst.

As we usually say, thank you for the kind word. Still, it's somewhat funny for me, as a Russian, to read something like this. We have been trying so hard for the last 30-odd years to become like you, and I must say we have done a lot, both necessary and not at all necessary, but there is some surprise in such notes. As if I were considering Australian aborigines, unknown inhabitants of the Amazon jungle or your Indians in feathers. In short, no matter how hard we tried, we still remained some kind of "aborigines" for you.

Как у нас говорят, спасибо на добром слове. Все таки мне, как русскому несколько смешно читать подобное. Мы последние 30 с лишним лет так старались сделаться похожими на вас, и многое надо сказать сделали, и нужного и совсем не нужного, однако в подобных заметках просматривается некое удивление что ли. Как если бы я рассматривал австралийских аборигенов, неведомых жителей амазонской сельвы или ваших индейцев в перьях. Короче как мы ни старались, все равно остались для вас какими то "аборигенами".
I also didn't get that impression. I got the impression he was surprised that the same nationalism he sees in the US isn't on display in Russia. In the US, there are plenty of people openly discriminating against Russians, and this seems to happen with whoever the "enemy du jour" happens to be. Day in/day out we are bombarded with "Putin is Hitler" and all that goes with such statements, so if it were me, I'd be very heartened to not hear the same thing if I went to Russia.

Back
Top Bottom