So much to do, so little time ...

nicklebleu said:
So at this stage, I am starting to feel progressively overwhelmed. So much to do, so little time.

Judging from the responses you have received so far nicklebleu, it appears pretty safe to say YOU ARE NOT ALONE, (bit of sci-fi humor :P)

I was mulling over in my mind a "framework" for a post in The Swamp that addressed this very issue and just haven't gotten around to it (catch-22?) It seems that the non-anticipatory approach is probably best --the amount of material here, plus relevant books and other articles, plus the EE breathing program, more Newbies to say hello to--yeah, it all adds up. And the days don't seem to be 24 hours anymore--feels more like 22 or 20 hours somehow. :cry:

We will do what we will do! Hang in there nicklebleu--we got your back, as they say.

Q: (L) So, you are saying that if we do what we do because we
enjoy it that we will be in the right place at the right time, doing the
right thing when whatever happens happens, right?
A: Close.
Q: (L) Are you saying that we will be led to do what we should be
doing and be where we should be?
A: You will just fall into it but if you force things you run the risk of
going astray.

I certainly understand what most of you go through, even I struggle with time, but here is the thing, this worrying about time can make you impatient, reckless and blind,

Perhaps you can use your creativity to combine what you love to do with your work/school/social life etc.

I have been able to squeeze in extra moments here and there by downloading articles and books to my cell phone/PDA.

This is an excellent example of using your creativity.

Nemo :
you`ll have to be selective. Try prioritizing. Do what you can. Try to not feel guilty or overwhelmed by what you can`t do..

Exactly.

nicklebleu said:
[...]
So at this stage, I am starting to feel progressively overwhelmed. So much to do, so little time.
[...]
I wanted to ask, if anyone amongst you has similar feelings, and what you do about it. I would like to find a way to approach these things more methodically and with less feeling of being constantly on the run. Of course I know, that this feeling of nervousness is also one of my programs.

How do you manage the various things? Your input and ideas would be greatly valued ...

Same here. In fact, I can't keep up with everything I want to at the moment, so I prioritize as best I can. I take a little bit of time during the day just to slow down, quiet the mind and absorb the beauty of nature, or just paying attention to how relaxing it feels just to do belly breathing.

When I feel nervous related to the pace of things, I do some pipe-breathing or just some deep belly breathing.

Do an experiment if you can. The next time you catch yourself feeling nervous, getting caught up in a hectic pace, or whatever, immediately notice how you are breathing. I believe there is a definite breath pattern associated with most 'states' and that once you consciously change that pattern to one that is more beneficial, you'll see a difference in how you 'sail' through your day, or any particular situation. It's made a difference to me!

I have notice that If I force myself to read or continue serching and working for couple of days instead doing something what is on my schedule in my social or office job, I became sleepy and fall asleep in most unapropriate situation , on my office desk , or in the middle of conversation. So I have to make brakes now. Before , I was just continuing reading until someone remind me that I was "away" for too long. My job allows me to have lot of time for work , but seems like I became "owerloaded" time to time ..if its possible.

With my new studies, I've been having (still have, will have much of the year) much less time. Which goes into why I post less and mostly on weekends nowadays, having the time to read up but not much more on other days.

But it should be quite possible, now that I think of it, to bring some reading material - in quite an easy way - for some idle moments. One small step towards using my time better...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: nicklebleu on Yesterday at 02:19:47 AM
[...]
[...]
I wanted to ask, if anyone amongst you has similar feelings, and what you do about it. I would like to find a way to approach these things more methodically and with less feeling of being constantly on the run. Of course I know, that this feeling of nervousness is also one of my programs.

How do you manage the various things? Your input and ideas would be greatly valued ...

Same here. In fact, I can't keep up with everything I want to at the moment, so I prioritize as best I can.

I have been thinking about this too - since beginning the breathing and meditation program, i made a decision to be more active on the forum - and not just lurk. Well - easier said than done. Keeping up with the news on SOTT, and the posts on the forum is a task in itself. Then reading and trying to really THINK about things, so as to have something useful to add rather than noise is something else. And of course, when one still has to work, manage to handle all the mundane tasks associated with just living, exercise, and try to have some kind of social life so as to have some balance.....well - we all know what it's like.

I have been thinking about this thread since i saw it yesterday. What I decided is that a true commitment to this path is going to require that we all make some tough decisions on priorities. It will be different for everyone. So, tonight, I made a decision to stay home and turn on my computer rather than go out. I have been spending the past few weeks cleaning out closets, getting rid of STUFF and just generally trying to simplify my life of clutter and useless time wasters. Some of that is going to mean that i give up some activities that i somewhat enjoy - but that are ultimately not representative of who I want to be. I also had to ask myself if I was really adding anything to the groups I was with, or was i just there for the company. Not that there is anything wrong with that - but is it really worth the time in the long run.

I don't really have the answer, but i do think that the more we rid ourselves of useless activities and focus on what is really important - it will be clearer. Not sure it's going to be easy, but i suspect that is part of the task. If we are truly committed to this path - then some other things will just have to fall by the wayside - and I am thinking that it does not get easier-maybe it's a sort of testing.

Wish I did not need to sleep 8 hours - it would sure help!... :zzz:

Like many other people I have perceived a build up of the intensity of both topics of interest and postings, and seemingly less time to get to grips with them all.

However, I remember a post by anart that gave me heart, and which is quoted in full below.

An overwhelming feeling that there isn't enough time....
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 07:19:21 PM »

Hi SeekingtheTruth,

One thing we know for sure is that 'time pressure' - stressing out about not having enough time - is not only useless, it is damaging, I'd even say entropic. We can have no impact on time (it doesn't even exist) - we cannot change others and we cannot stop what is coming. However, it is my deep understanding that continuing, in the midst of this increasing madness, to objectively awaken and help others who are asking to do the same - to live as if there is nothing more important than THIS - every day, in everything, standing up for the Truth and becoming objectively Real is sending a signal out to the Universe that will be noted in the grand scheme of things.

If you consider that every step you take toward awakening sends out a signal - that every program you remove, every effort you make to be a representative of Truth and Creativity in this world sends out a signal, then the 'time issue' fades away. If you act as if everything you do affects the future, then there is an amazing amount of time in a single day to make a difference.

Perhaps it is about approaching it differently than as if it is a checklist of books to read or concepts to grasp. Perhaps it is simply a matter of doing what you love - being good to yourself - learning what is burning within YOU to learn and doing so with some level of joy that you have this opportunity, in this amazing time to do so.

We will do what we will do - and all there is is lessons. Pushing oneself to overcome interior barriers is vitally important, but stressing over not having enough time takes energy away from remembering oneself, doesn't it? Perhaps this is where faith comes into play. The Universe knows what it is doing and we have a certain amount of 'time' left to contribute in this venue - to send out that signal and do what is before us to do - what else could matter more than that? And, ultimately, what more could one hope for a lifetime?

The following was my signature quote for quite a while - perhaps you'll understand why...

Quote from: Ark
FORGET "I should", forget it all. Replace it by "I LOVE TO DO ...." and skip completely the TIME issue. If you need five lives to accomplish what you WANT, let this be the first of those five. And then, without any "time obligation" or "should stressing" - start it. First step first. And ENJOY it. And LOVE yourself - take care of yourself.

This is the only thing that the Universe (God?) wants from you, I think. Arkadiusz Jadczyk

So - relax - have a little faith - and simply focus on doing what is in you to do - and enjoy it!

We can only do what we do, how we do it, when we do it, at our own pace, and in tune with whatever the role is that we have to play; trusting intuition to guide us. Or, at least that’s my take on it.

Trevrizent said:
[...]

Hi SeekingtheTruth,

Quote from: Ark
FORGET "I should", forget it all. Replace it by "I LOVE TO DO ...." and skip completely the TIME issue. If you need five lives to accomplish what you WANT, let this be the first of those five. And then, without any "time obligation" or "should stressing" - start it. First step first. And ENJOY it. And LOVE yourself - take care of yourself.

This is the only thing that the Universe (God?) wants from you, I think. Arkadiusz Jadczyk

Thanks Trevrizant for Ark's quote and Anarts post - I like it very much. Sounds so easy to do - JUST DO WHAT YOU LOVE TO DO ... and old programs kick in!
But I will try to heed that advice, as well as the advice of Buddy:

Buddy said:
nicklebleu said:
[...]
[...]

Same here. In fact, I can't keep up with everything I want to at the moment, so I prioritize as best I can. I take a little bit of time during the day just to slow down, quiet the mind and absorb the beauty of nature, or just paying attention to how relaxing it feels just to do belly breathing.

When I feel nervous related to the pace of things, I do some pipe-breathing or just some deep belly breathing.

Do an experiment if you can. The next time you catch yourself feeling nervous, getting caught up in a hectic pace, or whatever, immediately notice how you are breathing. I believe there is a definite breath pattern associated with most 'states' and that once you consciously change that pattern to one that is more beneficial, you'll see a difference in how you 'sail' through your day, or any particular situation. It's made a difference to me!

I think this is also a good point which I have let slip from my attention.

Since doing the breathing/ meditation program I have reduced my attention of "self-remembering" and "self-observation" ... as if the breathing/ meditation was to fast-track or supplant the process. While it might speedup development (according to the C's), that doesn't mean that all the other techniques of the Fourth Way have become meaningless.

Thanks for reminding me, Buddy - and I'll try to do more pipe-breathing during the day (I usually limited it for meditation).

Despite having read anart post a few times in the past, upon reading this thread I realised I was thinking the same way as others....

Its dawned on me that whats being discussed here may well be related to a lot of similarly flavoured posts cropping on the forum of late....especially in the Swamp.
I may be wrong, but I think it is related to Recent Negative Thoughts. I think this is an attack.

RedFox said:
Despite having read anart post a few times in the past, upon reading this thread I realised I was thinking the same way as others....

Its dawned on me that whats being discussed here may well be related to a lot of similarly flavoured posts cropping on the forum of late....especially in the Swamp.
I may be wrong, but I think it is related to Recent Negative Thoughts. I think this is an attack.

Could it also be a sign of growth? Since Eíriú-Eolas many are experiencing the effects of a cleansing process, and all the buried nastiness is coming to the surfface.
It can also be a sign of getting closer to a threshold.

On the other hand, growth/threshold attracts attention...

So much to do, so little time... indeed

Maybe thats because we worry so much about the future that we will never have control of(programs kicking in). If time is an illusion, why give so much energy to this illusion i often ask myself. Easy to say, hard to do. I remember seeing the movie "Peaceful Warrior" where socrates ask Dan Millman the following:

Where are you Dan? He answers: Here

What time is it? He answers: Now

What are you? He answers: this moment

Here, now, this moment (BEing). Maybe it is true that it is the journey that brings us happiness, not the destination. But i must sincerely say, it is quite hard to put in practice because many time the here, now, this moment is all about worries(programs). I suppose that to be a real warrior has to do with getting rid of all the programs first by self-observing our thoughts and saying no to what makes us not happy and make appropriate choices for change for the better.

Like here, now, this moment i am writing to you and since it is my first official post, i feel really happy but afterwards it will be the same old battle going on that will need self-observing again and again...

Quote : R4D4
Like here, now, this moment i am writing to you and since it is my first official post, i feel really happy but afterwards it will be the same old battle going on that will need self-observing again and again...

I don't know if i understood it the way you intended , but it made me think about a scene in The Matrix where the oracle tells Neo : " Don't worry about it, as soon as you step outside that door you'll start feeling better ...you'll remember you don't believe in any of this fake crap [...] here take a cookie ; I promise by the time your done eating it , you'll feel right as rain "
Whenever i am reminded of this little talk in the movie , I always think of who easy after learning something that resonates with me very powerfully and i understand it completely , who easy is to forget it , waking up the next morning and the yesterday thoughts just vanished. This happens also after reading a book and i feel that i understood something so powerful that i will never forget it , that that book actually reminded me of who i am and that things can never be the same from that day on .....only to forget it as time passes.
Even more frightening is when reading it again , i find that i have ignored all those thing explained in the book that i thought were my own thoughts witch i couldn't put in words or haven't had the time to look more deeply into the matter...only to forget them... and as the second reading goes , i am just as astonished about the information as i was the first time .

I found this passage in Meetings With Remarkable Men that always helps me out when I feel like I have too much to do:

'It is interesting to note that, during that period, a change in the functioning of my common presence took place, inexplicable from the standpoint of ordinary science and repeated more than once in the course of my life. This was a change in the regulation of the tempo of the in-coming and out-going of energy which enabled me to sleep scarcely at all for several weeks, and even for months, yet at the same time to manifest an activity which, far from being reduced, was on the contrary even more intense than usual. (p. 266)

It's the part where he's talking about his workshop in Ashkhabad, and how he made a sweet pile modifying old corsets. I think about all the things that Gurdjieff had to do, like leading an entire group across two continents in the middle of a war, and I realize that my tasks are small in comparison.

Just trying to help... :D

andi said:

I don't know if i understood it the way you intended , but it made me think about a scene in The Matrix where the oracle tells Neo : " Don't worry about it, as soon as you step outside that door you'll start feeling better ...you'll remember you don't believe in any of this fake crap [...] here take a cookie ; I promise by the time your done eating it , you'll feel light as rain "

Even more frightening is when reading it again , i find that i have ignored all those thing explained in the book that i thought were my own thoughts witch i couldn't put in words or haven't had the time to look more deeply into the matter...only to forget them... and as the second reading goes , i am just as astonished about the information as i was the first time .

Ho yes Andi, i can relate to that. I believe it is mainly because what we have been reading truly resonated but when we forget it, it is only because information has not been put to use, so it remains only theory until we act and if we don't, it fades away until it shows up again, thus the feeling of reading it again for the first time. There is a lot of work to do on our part but it isn't easy i must admit. That's my thought on it. Let's not give up though.

R4D4 said:
andi said:

I don't know if i understood it the way you intended , but it made me think about a scene in The Matrix where the oracle tells Neo : " Don't worry about it, as soon as you step outside that door you'll start feeling better ...you'll remember you don't believe in any of this fake crap [...] here take a cookie ; I promise by the time your done eating it , you'll feel light as rain "

Ho yes Andi, i can relate to that. I believe it is mainly because what we have been reading truly resonated but when we forget it, it is only because information has not been put to use, so it remains only theory until we act and if we don't, it fades away until it shows up again, thus the feeling of reading it again for the first time. There is a lot of work to do on our part but it isn't easy i must admit. That's my thought on it. Let's not give up though.

I'm familiar with this as well from self-observations, and may have a suggestion or two that could help.

Basically, you want to try and avoid having 'encapsulated' learning experiences if you can. The rule of thumb for me is that the more drastic and/or sudden the change of consciousness (mind-state + mood) between experiences, the more difficult it is to recall all the details of a given experience. The idea of continuity is important.

Try and connect what your reading/studying to your personal life and personal experience as deeply and as widely as you can. If you can't do that, then don't stress about it, just try and understand the material as best you can until your knowledge base grows to meet it. At that point, because you understood (at the time), you may have the pleasant experience of feeling things snapping together like puzzle pieces. The penny drops and the insight(s) come!

Have you heard of the idea of 'state-dependent recall'?
For instance, let's say I have been reading/studying something that causes a change in my mind-set or mood while I'm involved with it. It might make perfect sense to me at the time and I feel really good about it. Then, let's say something happens to divert my attention to something totally different. That's another state change. At that time there's a sort of disconnect from the previous state that may create a 'self-contained' experience, with information that becomes more difficult to recover unless I somehow duplicate the mood and mind-set I was in during the previous learning experience.

The main way I avoid problems (it works most of the time) is to really think about what I'm reading in terms of my own experience, or I will get up and walk outside or something while I'm thinking about it so that everything is still rolling around in my mind through a few different states (state of mind + mood) if possible.

Apologies if I made this sound too complicated. It's really not. There is some lengthy theory behind the idea and some small controversy, but the idea of "state-dependent recall" seems to have application to understanding the predator's mind and the psychophysiology of trauma as well, so I thought it might be useful to be as thorough as I could.

Affect and memory research: Why all the confusion?
That fact that affect influences memory is borne out in one's everyday life as well as in the laboratory. One need only experience a "black mood" once to know that a prevailing mood state can serve to bias the filtering of incoming information and the accessibility of already stored information.
Source: _http://pmc.psych.northwestern.edu/revelle/publications/rl91/rev_loft.implicat.html

The body remembers: the psychophysiology of trauma and trauma treatment
By Babette Rothschild:

_http://books.google.com/books?id=_glIAB9cCAoC&pg=PA55&lpg=PA55&dq=%22state+dependent+recall%22&source=bl&ots=dUmhtgrIRC&sig=7UjGMzBXXkRfmuqsZqn2Ilcnv3E&hl=en&ei=sprGSv2LKIrAMMfulfMH&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4

Back
Top Bottom