Sodium Bicarbonate - Effective against colds and flu and cancer?

Wow, what a precious thread! Thank you sooooo much. I take bs when feel with inflammation in my guts or feel gaz and it works so beautifuly. But I was not aware of how magnificent is BS for other situations. Fantastic information.

Here a little video with dr. Sircus about BS.

I have a cold too and didn't even do the full protocol and my cough has practically vanished within a day! Normally the cough would stay for months... I just did a teaspoon in the morning and one in the evening of the same day, followed by another one at the next morning. So only three dosis seems to have done the trick. Seems to work wonders. I'll try to get a bit more into the full protocol and see if the rest of the running nose issue disappears as well. The PH Strips are on its way too.

I started to have minor flu symptoms last Tuesday (a little bit of runny nose and sore throat). I don't have flu often, but when these symptoms arrive, it usually means that eventually they'll get worse and I have to take few days off from work. So I took two doses after work at Tuesday evening. At Wednesday my symptoms had slightly decreased, and I was able to work normally. Then I took three doses on that day, and by Thursday the flu symptoms had totally vanished. So it seems to work!

I came across this interview with Dr. Sircus which is very interesting too:

I was wondering if Sodium Bicarbonate interferes with hydrochloric acid, because I had heard that it wasn't very good to take baking soda as an anti-acid because it could reduce acid production. Well, acording to the study I shared before and what he says in this interview, that's not the case, and SB actually increases the production of hydrochloric acid. He says that SB and hydrochloric acid work together, they stimulate each other. There are some situations where it's helpful to take more acid, but that's not the case for most of us. Yet, you don't have to take SB while you're eating, like, just after eating, but half an hour before or two hours afterwards it's fine, I suppose.

Here are some other notes:

- Water is the most basic medicine. So water is our first line medicine. Cleaning our water is therefore very important too.

- Magnesium, SB and Iodine are the basis of his protocol.

- Number 1 is Mg but it's very close to SB. We're very deficient in Mg, SB and Iodine.

- Breathing is also very important, because of CO2. The sicker you get, the faster you breathe. You get rid of too much CO2. If you slow down breathing, you bring you CO2 up.

- Everything works better with higher oxygen conditions, so slow breathing is a great medicine.

- SB raises CO2, which increases PH, which increases dilation of the vains and vessels, increases self-voltage and increases oxygen.

- There's Sodium bicarbonate and Potassium bicarbonate, PB is better for Cancer treatment. For cancer 1/2 tsp on glass of water for 7 times a day. But for other people, just slightly bicarbonate your water daily. [He doesn't mention the exact dose for daily consumption, which would be interesting to know]

- Iodine is very important in our day and age because most of us are deficient and it's effective against resistant pathogens. He recommends lugol's. And his favorite doctor is Dr. Brownstein, who is discussed thoroughly on the Iodine thread.

- You can use diluted Mg for your eyes. [Please be careful with this and research before using, I'm just putting it here because he says he uses it].

- Glutathione is also very important.

- He also advocates for CBD.

- Some other interesting tips and info about some other stuff that he uses in his protocols.

Many on you say BS is an effective remedy against flu. I am wondering if BS would also be useful against Coronavirus 2019-nCoV?

Hi Chacaflus, in this article you will find very usefull info

After my first experiment described above (only three doses) I took a break from taking BS to wait for the Ph Strips to arrive. Now I have tested the Ph level and it seems to me that it is on the pretty low side in my case. Which is kind of interesting in itself. I tested it three or four times now, including one time after having taken another doses of BS before going to bed yesterday. If the test strips are somewhat accurate, it looks like my Ph "base level" is somewhere between 5 and 5.7, or even lower than that. Even after having taken another doses yesterday for the first time after starting the experiment before going to bed, today in the morning, the level hardly increased. I also did a test this morning comparing urine Ph level with salvia Ph levels to see if there is any difference and the result is that they are pretty much exactly the same. I'm also wondering if that is really my Ph "base line" since although my cough pretty much disappeared very quickly after taking the three doses of BS, the running nose thing didn't go away completely from that small test run, and thus I probably still are somewhat having the flu. So it could be that I'm testing a "base line" at the moment that is still determined/influenced by the flu itself. Also pretty interesting is the seeming effect BS has on the flu symptoms (namely running/clocked nose and sneezing) for me. Every time I took BS as of now, it seems to have increased those symptoms right after taking it. In some sort of way that almost feels like the flu symptoms are forced to uprise/battled, like being increases/battled before it gets better. I'm not so sure about the last part though. I would need to experiment more to be sure.

Now I'm planning to do the full protocol over this weekend, to first, see if the rest of my flu symptoms disappear as well, and secondly, to see where my Ph levels stand after that protocol (if and how much it increased).

Last edited:
Every time I took BS as of now, it seems to have increased those symptoms right after taking it. In some sort of way that almost feels like the flu symptoms are forced to uprise/battled, like being increases/battled before it gets better. I'm not so sure about the last part though. I would need to experiment more to be sure.

Now I'm planning to do the full protocol over this weekend, to first, see if the rest of my flu symptoms disappear as well, and secondly, to see where my Ph levels stand after that protocol (if and how much it increased).

I have started the protocol now and have taken two doses of BS today already (plus the one in the evening yesterday) and the above experience that the flu symptoms somehow seem to flare up a bit right after taking BS seems to continue. This time a bit of the cough came back/increased while stuff clears out while coughing, which was almost none present after the first round last week (the cough). Quite interesting. Will see how all this develops until the end of the protocol tomorrow evening.

Last edited:
Now I have tested the Ph level and it seems to me that it is on the pretty low side in my case. Which is kind of interesting in itself. I tested it three or four times now, including one time after having taken another doses of BS before going to bed yesterday. If the test strips are somewhat accurate, it looks like my Ph "base level" is somewhere between 5 and 5.7, or even lower than that.

I'm wondering what you'll base levels of Ph were before starting the protocol and after? As far as I can see, Gruchaa and me are the only ones that have reported their levels so far. In my case it doesn't seem to fluctuate so widely as Laura reported it for example (in fact, as it looks at this point, mine doesn't seem to fluctuate much at all).

My urine pH is quite low~5. Last week I have started taking 5g of SB in the water. In few months I will report the results.

It seems from the description given in the following link, that a diet high in fat and low in carbohydrates as well as rich levels of ketones in the body might result in a low Ph level. My diet has been pretty streigth for about two months now, almost exclusively following a carnivore type diet, with much time between meals. I'm also a non Tee or coffee drinker (never was) only drinking still water. I'm also not a sweety kind of person (not wanting/needing/graving chocolate and sweet stuff in general) but rather one that graves for things like nuts, chips and the like.

The article above also links to to specific articles about Acidosis (low Ph levels) and Alkalosis (high Ph levels) respectively:

Some of the symptoms and causes for acidosis certainly ring a bell for me, they include:

Acidosis
Medically reviewed by Carissa Stephens, RN, CCRN, CPN on June 6, 2017 — Written by Suzanne Allen, Kristeen Cherney, and Elizabeth Boskey, PhD
What is acidosis?

When your body fluids contain too much acid, it’s known as acidosis. Acidosis occurs when your kidneys and lungs can’t keep your body’s pH in balance. Many of the body’s processes produce acid. Your lungsand kidneys can usually compensate for slight pH imbalances, but problems with these organs can lead to excess acid accumulating in your body.
The acidity of your blood is measured by determining its pH. A lower pH means that your blood is more acidic, while a higher pH means that your blood is more basic. The pH of your blood should be around 7.4. According to the American Association for Clinical Chemistry (AACC), acidosis is characterized by a pH of 7.35 or lower. Alkalosis is characterized by a pH level of 7.45 or higher. While seemingly slight, these numerical differences can be serious. Acidosis can lead to numerous health issues, and it can even be life-threatening.

Causes of acidosis

There are two types of acidosis, each with various causes. The type of acidosis is categorized as either respiratory acidosis or metabolic acidosis, depending on the primary cause of your acidosis.
Respiratory acidosis
Respiratory acidosis occurs when too much CO2 builds up in the body. Normally, the lungs remove CO2 while you breathe. However, sometimes your body can’t get rid of enough CO2. This may happen due to:
Metabolic acidosis
Metabolic acidosis starts in the kidneys instead of the lungs. It occurs when they can’t eliminate enough acid or when they get rid of too much base. There are three major forms of metabolic acidosis:
  • Diabetic acidosis occurs in people with diabetes that’s poorly controlled. If your body lacks enough insulin, ketones build up in your body and acidify your blood.
  • Hyperchloremic acidosis results from a loss of sodium bicarbonate. This base helps to keep the blood neutral. Both diarrhea and vomiting can cause this type of acidosis.
  • Lactic acidosis occurs when there’s too much lactic acid in your body. Causes can include chronic alcohol use, heart failure, cancer, seizures, liver failure, prolonged lack of oxygen, and low blood sugar. Even prolonged exercise can lead to lactic acid buildup.
  • Renal tubular acidosis occurs when the kidneys are unable to excrete acids into the urine. This causes the blood to become acidic.
Acid-base balance »

Risk factors

Factors that can contribute to your risk of acidosis include:

Symptoms of acidosis

Both respiratory and metabolic acidosis share many symptoms. However, the symptoms of acidosis vary based on its cause.
Respiratory acidosis
Some of the common symptoms of respiratory acidosis include the following:
Metabolic acidosis
Some of the common symptoms of metabolic acidosis include the following:
  • rapid and shallow breathing
  • confusion
  • fatigue
  • headache
  • sleepiness
  • lack of appetite
  • jaundice
  • increased heart rate
  • breath that smells fruity, which is a sign of diabetic acidosis (ketoacidosis)

Tests and diagnosis

If you think you may have acidosis, go to the doctor immediately. Early diagnosis can make a big difference in your recovery.
Doctors diagnose acidosis with a series of blood tests. An arterial blood gas looks at the levels of oxygen and carbon dioxide in your blood. It also reveals your blood pH. A basic metabolic panel checks your kidney functioning and your pH balance. It also measures your calcium, protein, blood sugar, and electrolyte levels. If these tests are taken together, they can identify different types of acidosis.
If you’re diagnosed with respiratory acidosis, your doctor will want to check the health of your lungs. This may involve a chest X-ray or a pulmonary function test.
If metabolic acidosis is suspected, you’ll need to give a urine sample. Doctors will check the pH to see if you are properly eliminating acids and bases. Additional tests may be needed to determine the cause of your acidosis.

Treatment for acidosis

Doctors usually need to know what is causing your acidosis to determine how to treat it. However, some treatments can be used for any type of acidosis. For example, your doctor may give you sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to raise the pH of your blood. This can be done either by mouth or in an intravenous (IV) drip. The treatment for other types of acidosis can involve treating their cause.
Respiratory acidosis
Treatments for this condition are usually designed to help your lungs. For example, you may be given drugs to dilate your airway. You might also be given oxygen or a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) device. The CPAP device can help you breathe if you have an obstructed airway or muscle weakness.
Metabolic acidosis
The specific types of metabolic acidosis each have their own treatments. People with hyperchloremic acidosis may be given oral sodium bicarbonate. Acidosis from kidney failure may be treated with sodium citrate. Diabetics with ketoacidosis receive IV fluids and insulin to balance out their pH. Lactic acidosis treatment might include bicarbonate supplements, IV fluids, oxygen, or antibiotics, depending on the cause.

Complications

Without prompt treatment, acidosis may lead to the following health complications:
  • kidney stones
  • chronic kidney problems
  • kidney failure
  • bone disease
  • delayed growth

Acidosis prevention

You can’t completely prevent acidosis. However, there are some things you can do to lower your risk.
Respiratory acidosis
You can do the following to reduce your risk of respiratory acidosis:
  • Take sedatives as prescribed and never mix them with alcohol.
  • Stop smoking. Smoking can damage your lungs and make breathing less effective.
  • Maintain a healthy weight. Obesity can make it harder for you to breathe.
Metabolic acidosis
You can do the following to reduce your risk of metabolic acidosis:
  • Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water and other fluids.
  • Keep control of your diabetes. If you manage your blood sugar levels well, you can avoid ketoacidosis.
  • Stop drinking alcohol. Chronic drinking can increase the buildup of lactic acid.
The best quit smoking apps of the year »
Acidosis outlook

Some people fully recover from acidosis. Other people have problems with organ function, respiratory failure, and kidney failure. Severe acidosis can cause shock or even death.
How well you recover from acidosis depends on its cause. Fast, proper treatment also strongly influences your recovery.

For Alkalosis on the other hand the symptoms and causesare are as follows:

Alkalosis
Medically reviewed by Deborah Weatherspoon, PhD, MSN, RN, CRNA on January 12, 2017 — Written by April Khan and Kristeen Cherney
If you buy something through a link on this page, we may earn a small commission. How this works.
Overview

Your blood is made up of acids and bases. The amount of acids and bases in your blood can be measured on a pH scale. It’s important to maintain the correct balance between acids and bases. Even a slight change can cause health problems. Normally, your blood should have a slightly higher amount of bases than acids.
Alkalosis occurs when your body has too many bases. It can occur due to decreased blood levels of carbon dioxide, which is an acid. It can also occur due to increased blood levels of bicarbonate, which is a base.
This condition may also be related to other underlying health issues such as low potassium, or hypokalemia. The earlier it’s detected and treated, the better the outcome is.
Acid-base balance »

The four types of alkalosis

There are four main types of alkalosis.
Respiratory alkalosis
Respiratory alkalosis occurs when there isn’t enough carbon dioxide in your bloodstream. It’s often caused by:
Metabolic alkalosis
Metabolic alkalosis develops when your body loses too much acid or gains too much base. This can be attributed to:
  • excess vomiting, which causes electrolyte loss
  • overuse of diuretics
  • adrenal disease
  • a large loss of potassium or sodium in a short amount of time
  • antacids
  • accidental ingestion of bicarbonate, which can be found in baking soda
  • laxatives
  • alcohol abuse
Hypochloremic alkalosis
Hypochloremic alkalosis occurs when there’s a significant decline of chloride in your body. This can be due to prolonged vomiting or sweating. Chloride is an important chemical needed to maintain balance in bodily fluids, and it’s an essential part of your body’s digestive fluids.
Hypokalemic alkalosis
Hypokalemic alkalosis occurs when your body lacks the normal amount of the mineral potassium. You normally get potassium from your food, but not eating enough of it is rarely the cause of a potassium deficiency. Kidney disease, excessive sweating, and diarrhea are just a few ways you can lose too much potassium. Potassium is essential to the proper functioning of the:
  • heart
  • kidneys
  • muscles
  • nervous system
  • digestive system

Symptoms of alkalosis

Early symptoms
Symptoms of alkalosis can vary. In the early stages of the condition, you may have:
  • nausea
  • numbness
  • prolonged muscle spasms
  • muscle twitching
  • hand tremors
Serious symptoms
If alkalosis isn’t treated right away, severe symptoms can develop. These symptoms could lead to shock or coma. Call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room if you experience any of these symptoms:
  • dizziness
  • difficulty breathing
  • confusion
  • stupor
  • coma

Diagnosing alkalosis

The symptoms of alkalosis mimic symptoms of other conditions. It’s very important that you don’t attempt to diagnose yourself. Make an appointment with your doctor to get evaluated.
Your doctor will ask you about your medical history and the symptoms you’ve been experiencing. They will likely order tests that will rule out other conditions. Common tests include:
According to the American Association for Clinical Chemistry, normal blood pH levels are between 7.35 and 7.45. A blood pH above 7.45 may indicate alkalosis.
Your doctor may also want to measure the carbon dioxide and oxygen levels in your blood to rule out respiratory issues.

Receiving treatment

Your treatment plan will depend on the cause of your alkalosis.
Your carbon dioxide level needs to return to normal if you have respiratory alkalosis. If you have rapid breathing caused by anxiety, taking slow, deep breaths can often improve symptoms and regulate your oxygen level. If tests reveal that you have a low oxygen level, you’ll need to receive oxygen through a mask.
If your rapid breathing is caused by pain, then treating the pain will help bring your respiratory rate back to normal and improve your symptoms.
If your alkalosis is caused by a loss of chemicals such as chloride or potassium, you’ll be prescribed medications or supplements to replace these chemicals.
Some cases of alkalosis result from an electrolyte imbalance, which may be corrected by drinking plenty of fluids or drinks that contain electrolytes. If you have an advanced case of electrolyte imbalance, it will need to be treated in the hospital.
Most people recover from alkalosis once they receive treatment.

How do I prevent alkalosis?

Reduce your risk for developing alkalosis by maintaining good health, eating a healthy diet, and staying hydrated. Choosing foods high in nutrients and potassium can help combat electrolyte deficiencies. Nutrients and potassium are primarily found in fruits and vegetables, as well as some other foods, such as:
  • carrots
  • bananas
  • milk
  • beans
  • spinach
  • bran
Steps you can take to prevent dehydration include:
  • drinking 8 to 10 glasses of water per day
  • drinking water before, during, and after exercise
  • using electrolyte-replacement drinks for high-intensity exercises
  • avoiding sodas or juices, which have a high sugar content and can make dehydration worse
  • limiting caffeine, which is found in soda, tea, and coffee
It’s important to remember that you’re already dehydrated if you feel thirsty.
Dehydration can also occur rapidly if you lose a lot of electrolytes. This can happen when you’re vomiting from the flu. If you cannot keep potassium-rich foods in your stomach, make sure you still drink adequate fluids, such as water, sports drinks, and broth-based soups.
The warning signs of dehydration in toddlers »
Outlook

The outlook for alkalosis largely depends on how quickly it’s diagnosed. The sooner your condition is treated, the better the outcome is for that condition. Alkalosis caused by existing kidney conditions may not be preventable. It’s also important to follow all of your doctor’s care instructions once you get a diagnosis.

I'm wondering what you'll base levels of Ph were before starting the protocol and after? As far as I can see, Gruchaa and me are the only ones that have reported their levels so far.
Last Wednesday afternoon, I suddenly got chilly and started to get a heavy head and a runny nose. I had not had so much as a cold for 10 years and so it was an opportunity to start the BS protocol.
The first dose was with lemon and only 1/4 teaspoon of BS before bed. Next day I got the pH strips for urine and i tested around 6.8 pH in the afternoon and same around bedtime. My cold/flu symptoms had worsened overnight. Next morning, Thursday, I took the 1/4 tsp BS with apple cider vinegar, pH again around 6.7, 6.8 and same in evening before bed, next dose of 1/4 BS in ACV. I didn't increase the dose of SB because I thought the urinary pH level was quite okay. I felt really quite sick all day yesterday and stayed in all day, with again 2 doses of SB in ACV mornings and evenings. Again the tests on friday and also the one i did today show pH urinary levels around 6.7. This morning I had a function I could not get out of but actually, I felt okay. Still some coughing and nose blowing, but not runny anymore. I think i will not take the SB tonight and i expect to be almost well tomorrow.

"This has given rise to a variety of treatments based on increasing the alkalinity of the tissues such as vegetarian diet, raw foods, the drinking of fresh fruit, and vegetable juices, and dietary supplementation with alkaline minerals such as calcium, potassium, magnesium, cesium, and rubidium."

Sircus, Mark. Sodium Bicarbonate (p. 101). Square One Publishers. Kindle Edition.

I take 2 tsp of mag citrate every day and every day i put mag chloride cream all over my body, which might account for the current urinary pH level i have.
I have ordered the saliva strips as well but they will arrive end of february only. It will be interesting to see at which levels i will be by then. For around 4 years now I am on a paleo diet with about 4 days a week of intermittent fasting.

Would sodium ascorbate have the same properties ? I usually take both ascorbic acid and sodium ascorbate in powder, but with these additional informations, it would seem that sodium ascorbate may be more beneficial.

edit : sodium ascorbate is ascorbic acid + sodium bicarbonate
No, because the hydrogen is occupied in the ascorbate. Hydrogen might be free in the blood in order to give a high pH. It is easily released when in the forme of bicarbonate HCO3
Test your urinary pH, and you'll get the answer ;-)

No, because the hydrogen is occupied in the ascorbate. Hydrogen might be free in the blood in order to give a high pH. It is easily released when in the forme of bicarbonate HCO3
Test your urinary pH, and you'll get the answer ;-)

Thank you for this answer to a question I asked myself too. And in retrospect, it's obvious that no given what my experience tell me :lol:

But another question, and sorry for deriving the thread a little, the vitcnat web site advocate that sodium ascorbate is better because it gives you vit C much longer throughout the day (and it's easier to drink too !). From your expertise, what do you think ?

From what I understood, the acide form is the active form inside the body, but its absorption is limited in the gut. That's why it is so effective when given intraveinously.
The basic form (ascorbate) is, as you said easy to drink, not acide, thus not irritative to the gut, but it is said to be not as effective in the cellular level.
So, you can take ascorbate as it is best tolerated (your gut will not throw it outside in the wc) or take small amoints of the acide but more often in the day.
This is the reason why I tried enema with ascorbate as it is well absorbed in the colon. One can't use acid in the colon because of irritativeness

Back
Top Bottom