Soy is VERY dangerous!

Laura said:
So, all that sounds really restrictive and I don't think the situation is quite that complex.

Everything has to be taken with a grain of salt!!!
Holy Macaroni - complicated is right! (ahem, that's gluten free macaroni, of course)

Thanks for this additional information Laura; while reading, the light bulb over my head went on and reminded me of a book I have had for years on the topic of vegetarianism also addressed this subject to some extent. I'll have to seek it out from its resting place and crack that volume as part of my efforts to find how the pieces of my particular dietary puzzle fit together.
Appropriate proteins and carbohydrates are my new best friends and I need to know more about them since not all lentils are suggested for type O and these form no small part of my protein intake.

So far I've not had trouble with stomach acid, however with every passing year I notice that I'm more and more careful about not having particularly acidic fruits or juices on an empty stomach...until recently I simply didn't give these things enough consideration. Now I'll consider myself lucky to be able to correct my own food choices and eating behaviours before my previous habits had a chance to do more serious damage to my system.

A thought: some of those combinations which are particularly inhibitive of proper food digestion seem to be the very combinations which are most common - at least in western diets. It does make me curious how these came to be part of what many will consider a traditional diet; perhaps some external intervention at some point in our history compelled us, or in some way made it easier for us to become ignorant of these things?

These seem to be things of which we should have an inborn or cellular memory. Ignorance of these facts has many of us poisoning our bodies to greater or lesser extents!

Amelopsis said:
A thought: some of those combinations which are particularly inhibitive of proper food digestion seem to be the very combinations which are most common - at least in western diets. It does make me curious how these came to be part of what many will consider a traditional diet; perhaps some external intervention at some point in our history compelled us, or in some way made it easier for us to become ignorant of these things?
Yes, when I started reading about these things, I wondered about that myself. I mean, think about it: meat and potatoes, cereal and milk, SANDWICHES, fer Gawd's sake!

If you get into this stuff and take everything seriously, you would probably eat almost nothing. (Well, not exactly true, but you get my meaning.) That's why I say to take it with a grain of salt and figure out what works for you; but do that from a broad base of information, not just the mainstream version which obviously is killing people!

Amelopsis said:
These seem to be things of which we should have an inborn or cellular memory. Ignorance of these facts has many of us poisoning our bodies to greater or lesser extents!
Go back to my post here: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=5882.msg46319#msg46319 where I mention the "paleo diet" This seems to be close to the ideal diet for type O, which is the "paleo blood type." It is certainly not the ideal diet for type As or Bs or ABs. Too bad the paleo diet people don't consider blood type!

Then, of course, it is also possible that SOME type Os come from a genetic line that HAS mutated to some extent.

I'm a great one for experimenting, so when I read some of these things, I try them out to see how they work. I can say with certainty that eliminating the starches and simple carbs from the meal when I eat meat has completely eliminated the feeling of "heaviness" as well as the reflux issues. It wasn't the meat or the fat, it was the combination with starches.

As for the food combining, I think it is rather silly to say that one should not have fat with protein since most high quality protein comes with fat, like meat. Granted, the fat ought to be a good fat and not one loaded with chemicals as is the fat of meat produced in modern ways, but fat IS part of most meats and avoiding that combination seems to be just ignorant.

I also think it is kind of stupid to think that you cannot have various kinds of protein at one meal, like steak and eggs. I can live for a long time on meat and eggs and feel perfectly fine. (Generally don't have steak, have hamburger instead.)

Chulin quoted: << Mike: I find a lot of the vegetarian foods, or so-called health foods, use yeast extracts. >>

Systemic yeast infections, candida, candidiasis, etc. are claimed by a lot of people to be a great, almost silent epidemic. Yet another fascinating controversy. But, as Laura pointed out, what in the world doesn't look dangerous if inspected closely enough?

One seller of anti-yeast treatment says: << It is estimated that 80-90% of the population suffers from some sort of systemic yeast infection; but, they have become accustomed to the symptoms and just accept them as part of their daily lives. >>

More info about soy and apologies if this was posted before.

Soy and the Brain

http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/soyandbrain.html

By John MacArthur

"Tofu Shrinks Brain!" No science fiction scenario, this sobering soybean revelation is for real. But how did the "poster bean" of the ’90s go wrong? Apparently, in many ways--none of which bode well for the brain.

In a major ongoing study involving 3,734 elderly Japanese-American men, those who ate the most tofu during midlife had up to 2.4 times the risk of later developing Alzheimer’s disease. As part of the three-decade long Honolulu-Asia Aging Study, 27 foods and drinks were correlated with participants’ health. Men who consumed tofu at least twice weekly had more cognitive impairment than those who rarely or never ate the soybean curd.1, 2

"The test results were about equivalent to what they would have been if they were five years older," said lead researcher Dr. Lon R. White from the Hawaii Center for Health Research. For the guys who ate no tofu, however, they tested as though they were five years younger.

What’s more, higher midlife tofu consumption was also associated with low brain weight. Brain atrophy was assessed in 574 men using MRI results and in 290 men using autopsy information. Shrinkage occurs naturally with age, but for the men who had consumed more tofu, White said "their brains seemed to be showing an exaggeration of the usual patterns we see in aging."

Phytoestrogens--Soy Self Defense

Tofu and other soybean foods contain isoflavones, three-ringed molecules bearing a structural resemblance to mammalian steroidal hormones. White and his fellow researchers speculate that soy’s estrogen-like compounds (phytoestrogens) might compete with the body’s natural estrogens for estrogen receptors in brain cells.

Plants have evolved many different strategies to protect themselves from predators. Some have thorns or spines, while others smell bad, taste bad, or poison animals that eat them. Some plants took a different route, using birth control as a way to counter the critters who were wont to munch.

Plants such as soy are making oral contraceptives to defend themselves, says Claude Hughes, Ph.D., a neuroendocrinologist at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. They evolved compounds that mimic natural estrogen. These phytoestrogens can interfere with the mammalian hormones involved in reproduction and growth--a strategy to reduce the number and size of predators.

Toxicologists Concerned about Soy’s Health Risks

The soy industry says that White’s study only shows an association between tofu consumption and brain aging, but does not prove cause and effect. On the other hand, soy experts at the National Center for Toxicological Research, Daniel Sheehan, Ph.D., and Daniel Doerge, Ph.D., consider this tofu study very important. "It is one of the more robust, well-designed prospective epidemiological studies generally available. . . We rarely have such power in human studies, as well as a potential mechanism."

In a 1999 letter to the FDA (and on the ABC News program 20/20), the two toxicologists expressed their opposition to the agency’s health claims for soy, saying the Honolulu study "provides evidence that soy (tofu) phytoestrogens cause vascular dementia. Given that estrogens are important for maintenance of brain function in women; that the male brain contains aromatase, the enzyme that converts testosterone to estradiol; and that isoflavones inhibit this enzymatic activity, there is a mechanistic basis for the human findings." 3

Although estrogen’s role in the central nervous system is not well understood, White notes that "a growing body of information suggests that estrogens may be needed for optimal repair and replacement of neural structures eroded with aging."

One link to the puzzle may involve calcium-binding proteins, which are associated with protection against neurodegenerative diseases. In recent animal studies at Brigham Young University’s Neuroscience Center, researchers found that consumption of phytoestrogens via a soy diet for a relatively short interval can significantly elevate phytoestrogen levels in the brain and decrease brain calcium-binding proteins.4

Concerns About Giving Soy to Infants

The most serious problem with soy may be its use in infant formulas. "The amount of phytoestrogens that are in a day’s worth of soy infant formula equals 5 birth control pills," says Mike Fitzpatrick, a New Zealand toxicologist. Fitzpatrick and other scientists believe that infant exposure to high amounts of phytoestrogens is associated with early puberty in girls and retarded physical maturation in boys.5

A study reported in The Lancet found that the "daily exposure of infants to isoflavones in soy infant-formulas is 6-11 fold higher on a bodyweight basis than the dose that has hormonal effects in adults consuming soy foods." (This dose, equivalent to two glasses of soy milk per day, was enough to change menstrual patterns in women.6 In the blood of infants tested, concentrations of isoflavones were 13,000-22,000 times higher than natural estrogen concentrations in early life.7 )

Soy Interferes with Enzymes

While soybeans are relatively high in protein compared to other legumes, they are a poor source of protein because other proteins found in soybeans act as potent enzyme inhibitors. These "anti-nutrients" block the action of trypsin and other enzymes needed for protein digestion. Trypsin inhibitors are large, tightly folded proteins that are not completely deactivated during ordinary cooking and can reduce protein digestion. Therefore, soy consumption may lead to chronic deficiencies in amino acid uptake.8

Soy’s ability to interfere with enzymes and amino acids may have direct consequence for the brain. As White and his colleagues suggest, "isoflavones in tofu and other soyfoods might exert their influence through interference with tyrosine kinase-dependent mechanisms required for optimal hippocampal function, structure and plasticity."2

High amounts of protein tyrosine kinases are found in the hippocampus, a brain region involved with learning and memory. One of soy’s primary isoflavones, genistein, has been shown to inhibit tyrosine kinase in the hippocampus, where it blocked "long-term potentiation," a mechanism of memory formation.9

Tyrosine, Dopamine, and Parkinson’s Disease

The brain uses the amino acids tyrosine or phenylalanine to synthesize the key neurotransmitters dopamine and norepinephrine, brain chemicals that promote alertness and activity. Dopamine is crucial to fine muscle coordination. People whose hands tremble from Parkinson’s disease have a diminished ability to synthesize dopamine. An increased incidence of depression and other mood disorders are associated with low levels of dopamine and norepinephrine. Also, the current scientific consensus on attention-deficit disorder points to a dopamine imbalance.

Soy has been shown to affect tyrosine hydroxylase activity in animals, causing the utilization rate of dopamine to be "profoundly disturbed." When soy lecithin supplements were given throughout perinatal development, they reduced activity in the cerebral cortex and "altered synaptic characteristics in a manner consistent with disturbances in neural function."10

Researchers at Sweden’s Karolinska Institute and at the National Institutes of Health are finding a connection between tyrosine hydroxylase activity, thyroid hormone receptors, and depleted dopamine levels in the brain--particularly in the substantia nigra, a region associated with the movement difficulties characteristic of Parkinson’s disease.11,12,13

Soy Affects the Brain via the Thyroid Gland

Tyrosine is crucial to the brain in another way. It’s needed for the body to make active thyroid hormones, which are a major physiological regulator of mammalian brain development. By affecting the rate of cell differentiation and gene expression, thyroid hormones regulate the growth and migration of neurons, including synaptic development and myelin formation in specific brain regions. Low blood levels of tyrosine are associated with an underactive thyroid gland.

It is well known that isoflavones in soy products can depress thyroid function, causing goiter (enlarged thyroid gland) and autoimmune thyroid disease. In the early 1960s, goiter and hypothyroidism were reported in infants fed soybean diets.14 Scientists at the National Center for Toxicological Research showed that the soy isoflavones genistein and daidzein "inhibit thyroid peroxidase-catalyzed reactions essential to thyroid hormone synthesis."15

Japanese researchers studied effects on the thyroid from soybeans administered to healthy subjects. They reported that consumption of as little as 30 grams (two tablespoons) of soybeans per day for only one month resulted in a significant increase in thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), which is produced by the brain’s pituitary gland when thyroid hormones are too low. Their findings suggested that "excessive soybean ingestion for a certain duration might suppress thyroid function and cause goiters in healthy people, especially elderly subjects."16

Thyroid Hormones and Fetal Brain Development

Thyroid alterations are among the most frequently encountered autoimmune conditions in children. Researchers at Cornell University Medical College showed that the "frequency of feedings with soy-based milk formulas in early life was significantly higher in children with autoimmune thyroid disease."17 In a previous study, they found that twice as many diabetic children had received soy formula in infancy as compared to non-diabetic children.18

Recognizing the risk, Swiss health authorities recommend "very restrictive use" of soy for babies. In England and Australia, public health agencies tell parents to first seek advice from a doctor before giving their infants soy formula. The New Zealand Ministry of Health recommends that "Soy formula should only be used under the direction of a health professional for specific medical indications. . . Clinicians who are treating children with a soy-based infant formula for medical conditions should be aware of the potential interaction between soy infant formula and thyroid function."19

Thyroid hormones exert their influence during discrete windows of time during development of the infant. Inappropriate hormone levels can have a devastating effect on the developing human brain, especially during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy when the fetus depends on the mother’s thyroid hormones for brain development. After that, both maternal and fetal thyroid hormone levels affect the central nervous system.

A 1999 study published in the New England Journal of Medicine showed that pregnant women with underactive thyroids were four times more likely to have children with low IQs if the disorder were left untreated. The study found that 19 percent of the children born to mothers with thyroid deficiency had IQ scores of 85 or lower, compared with only 5 percent of those born to mothers without such problems.20

Thyroid, Brain, and Environmental Toxins

Children exposed prenatally and during infancy to common environmental toxins like dioxin and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) can suffer behavioral, learning, and memory problems because these chemicals may be disrupting the normal action of thyroid hormone.21

Soybeans grown in the United States contain residues of the pesticide dieldrin, an organochlorine similar to DDT. Although both chemicals were banned in the 1970s, dieldrin still persists in soils and is absorbed through the roots. Today it is the most toxic residue found on domestic soybeans.22 In Silent Spring, Rachel Carson warned that dieldrin is nearly 50 times as poisonous as DDT. In addition to disrupting hormones, it can have long delayed neurological effects, ranging from loss of memory to mania.23 Chinese aphids were recently discovered in fields scattered across Wisconsin, so increased pesticide applications are likely.

Combinations of insecticides, weed killers, and artificial fertilizers--even at low levels--have measurable detrimental effects on thyroid and other hormones as well as on the brain.24 EPA scientists now want to upgrade the commonly used herbicide, atrazine, to a "likely carcinogen." In animal tests, atrazine attaches to sites on the hypothalamus, a crucial brain region involved with regulating levels of stress and sex hormones.25

Individuals newly diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease were more than twice as likely to have been exposed to insecticides in their home, compared to those without the disease.26 In September 2000, The Lancet reported that farmers and gardeners regularly exposed to pesticides may have more than five times the risk of developing mild cognitive dysfunction.

Soy formulas for infants can contain other neurotoxins: aluminum, cadmium, and fluoride. Studies found that aluminum concentrations in soy-based formulas were a 100-fold greater compared to human breast milk,27 while cadmium content was 8-15 times higher than in milk-based formulas.28 In an Australian study, the fluoride content of soy-based formulas ranged from 1.08 to 2.86 parts per million. The authors concluded that "prolonged consumption (beyond 12 months of age) of infant formula reconstituted with optimally-fluoridated water could result in excessive amounts of fluoride being ingested."29 A study of Connecticut children revealed that mild to moderate fluorosis was strongly associated with soy-based infant formula use.30

In May 2000, Boston Physicians for Social Responsibility released their report, "The Toxic Threats to Child Development." In the section on neurotoxins, they concluded, "Studies in animals and human populations suggest that fluoride exposure, at levels that are experienced by a significant proportion of the population whose drinking water is fluoridated, may have adverse impacts on the developing brain."31
Iodine versus Fluorine

The thyroid gland uses tyrosine and the natural element iodine to make thyroxine (T4), a thyroid hormone containing four iodine atoms. The other, much more biologically active thyroid hormone is tri-iodothyronine (T3), which has three iodine atoms. Lack of dietary iodine has long been identified as the problem in diminished thyroid hormone synthesis.

According to the International Council for the Control of Iodine Deficiency Disorders: "Iodine deficiency has been called the world’s major cause of preventable mental retardation. Its severity can vary from mild intellectual blunting to frank cretinism, a condition that includes gross mental retardation, deaf mutism, short stature, and various other defects. . . The damage to the developing brain results in individuals poorly equipped to fight disease, learn, work effectively, or reproduce satisfactorily."

This crucial role of iodine is another reason why the thyroid gland is especially vulnerable today. Canadian researcher Andreas Schuld has documented more than 100 studies during the last 70 years that demonstrate adverse effects of fluoride on the thyroid gland.32 Schuld says, "Fluorine, being the strongest in the group of halogens, will seriously interfere with iodine and iodine synthesis, forcing more urinary elimination of ingested iodine as fluoride ingestion or absorption increases." (See page 21.)

Soy Inhibits Zinc Absorption

The high phytic-acid content in soy may also have adverse effects on brain function. Phytic acid is an organic acid present in the outer portion of all seeds which blocks the uptake of essential minerals in the intestinal tract: calcium, magnesium, iron, and especially zinc. Soybeans have very high levels of a form of phytic acid that is particularly difficult to neutralize and which interferes with zinc absorption more completely than with other minerals.

The soy industry acknowledges the problem with the admission that while "one-half cup of cooked soybeans contains one mg of zinc

. . . zinc is poorly absorbed from soyfoods." As for iron, "both phytate and soy protein reduce iron absorption so that the iron in soyfoods is generally poorly absorbed."33

According to unpublished documents, researchers testing soy formula found that it caused negative zinc balance in every infant to whom it was given.34 Even when the diets were additionally supplemented with zinc, there was a strong correlation between phytate content in formula and poor growth.

Zinc and the Brain

Relatively high levels of zinc are found in the brain, especially the hippocampus. Zinc plays an important role in the transmission of the nerve impulse between brain cells. Deficiency of zinc during pregnancy and lactation has been shown to be related to many congenital abnormalities of the nervous system in offspring. In children, "insufficient levels of zinc have been associated with lowered learning ability, apathy, lethargy, and mental retardation."35

The USDA references a study of 372 Chinese school children with very low levels of zinc in their bodies. The children who received zinc supplements had the most improved performance--especially in perception, memory, reasoning, and psychomotor skills such as eye-hand coordination. Three earlier studies with adults also showed that changes in zinc intake affected cognitive function.36

New research has identified a specific contingent of neurons, called "zinc-containing" neurons, which are found almost exclusively in the forebrain, where in mammals they have evolved into a "complex and elaborate associational network that interconnects most of the cerebral cortices and limbic structures." This suggests the importance of zinc in the normal and pathological processes of the cerebral cortex.37 Furthermore, age-related tissue zinc deficiency may contribute to brain cell death in Alzheimer’s dementia.38
Not a Good Idea

High levels of phytoestrogens and zinc-blocking phytic acid, plus additional neurotoxic compounds such as dieldrin, aluminum, fluoride and cadmium combine in soy to yield a veritable witches’ brew that can have adverse effects on the brain during development and throughout life.

Unfortunately, many American are now consuming soy foods in high amounts as infant formula, soy milk and tofu-based products, usually as a substitute for nourishing animal foods. In Asia, soy is consumed in small amounts as a fermented condiment and not as a substitute for animal foods.

Asians recognize the need for "brain foods" like eggs and fish and realize that large amounts of soy can cause thyroid problems and inhibit growth. They know that for optimum mental function, soy foods are not a good idea.

References

1. White LR, Petrovich H, Ross GW, Masaki KH, Association of mid-life consumption of tofu with late life cognitive impairment and dementia: the Honolulu-Asia Aging Study. Fifth International Conference on Alzheimer’s Disease, #487, 27 July 1996, Osaka, Japan.

2. White LR, Petrovitch H, Ross GW, Masaki KH, Hardman J, Nelson J, Davis D, Markesbery W, Brain aging and midlife tofu consumption. J Am Coll Nutr 2000 Apr;19(2):242-55.

3. Doerge and Sheehan, Letter to the FDA, Feb 18, 1999. (http://abcnews.go.com/onair/2020/2020_000609_soyfdaletter_feature.htm)

4. Lephart ED, Thompson JM, Setchell KD, Adlercreutz H, Weber KS, Phytoestrogens decrease brain calcium-binding proteins... Brain Res 2000 Mar 17;859(1):123-31.

5. Soy Infant Formula Could Be Harmful to Infants: Groups Want it Pulled. Nutrition Week, Dec 10, 1999;29(46):1-2; See also www.soyonlineservice.co.nz

6. Cassidy A, Bingham S, Setchell KD, Biological effects of a diet of soy protein rich in isoflavones on the menstrual cycle of premenopausal women. Am J Clin Nutr 1994 Sep;60(3):333-40.

7. Setchell KD, Zimmer-Nechemias L, Cai J, Heubi JE, Exposure of infants to phyto-oestrogens from soy-based infant formula. Lancet 1997 Jul 5;350(9070):23-27.

8. Fallon SA, Enig MG, Tragedy and Hype, The Third International Soy Symposium. Nexus Magazine, Vol 7, No 3, April-May 2000.

9. O’Dell TJ, Kandel ER, Grant SG, Long-term potentiation in the hippocampus is blocked by tyrosine kinase inhibitors. Nature 1991 Oct 10 353:6344 558-60.

10. Bell JM, Whitmore WL, Cowdery T, Slotkin TA, Perinatal dietary supplementation with a soy lecithin preparation: effects on development of central catecholaminergic neurotransmitter systems. Brain Res Bull 1986 Aug;17(2):189-95.

11. Zetterstrom RH, Williams R, Perlmann T, Olson L, Cellular expression of the immediate early transcription factors Nurr1 and NGFI-B suggests a gene regulatory role in several brain regions including the nigrostriatal dopamine system. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 1996 Sep 5;41(1-2):111-20.

12. Castillo SO, Baffi JS, Palkovits M, Goldstein DS, Kopin IJ, Witta J, Magnuson MA, Nikodem VM, Dopamine biosynthesis is selectively abolished in substantia nigra... Mol Cell Neurosci 1998 May;11(1-2):36-46.

13. Baffi JS, Palkovits M, Castillo SO, Mezey E, Nikodem VM, Differential expression of tyrosine hydroxylase in catecholaminergic neurons of neonatal wild-type and Nurr1-deficient mice. Neuroscience 1999;93(2):631-42.

14. Shepard TH, Soybean goiter. New Eng J Med 1960;262:1099-1103.

15. Divi RL, Chang HC, Doerge DR, Anti-thyroid isoflavones from soybean: isolation, characterization, mechanisms of action. Biochem Pharmacol 1997 Nov 15;54(10):1087-96.

16. Ishizuki Y, Hirooka Y, Murata Y, Togashi K, The effects on the thyroid gland of soybeans administered experimentally in healthy subjects. Nippon Naibunpi Gakkai Zasshi 1991 May 20;67(5):622-29.

17. Fort P, Moses N, Fasano M, Goldberg T, Lifshitz F, Breast and soy-formula feedings in early infancy and the prevalence of autoimmune thyroid disease in children. J Am Coll Nutr 1990 Apr;9(2):164-67.

18. Fort P, Lanes R, Dahlem S, Recker B, Weyman-Daum M, Pugliese M, Lifshitz FJ, Breast feeding and insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus in children. Am Coll Nutr 1986;5(5):439-41.

19. Regulatory Guidance in other countries: New Zealand Ministry of Health Position Statement on Soy Formulas (http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/regulat.htm)(Adobe Acrobat PDF file: http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/files/mohsoy.pdf)

20. Haddow JE, Palomaki GE, Allan WC, Williams JR, Knight GJ, Gagnon J, O’Heir CE, Mitchell ML, Hermos RJ, Waisbren SE, Faix JD, Klein RZ, Maternal thyroid deficiency during pregnancy and subsequent neuropsychological development of the child. N Engl J Med 1999 Aug 19;341(8):549-55.

21. Hauser P, McMillin JM, Bhatara VS, Resistance to thyroid hormone: implications for neurodevelopmental research on the effects of thyroid hormone disruptors. Toxicol Ind Health 1998 Jan-Apr;14(1-2):85-101.

22. Groth E, Benbrook CM, Lutz K, Update: pesticides in children’s foods, an analysis of 1998 USDA PDP data on pesticide residues, Consumers Union of U.S., Inc., May, 2000 (Adobe Acrobat PDF file).

23. Hayes WJ, The toxicity of dieldrin to man. Bull World Health Organ 1959;20:891-92.

24. Porter WP, Jaeger JW, Carlson IH, Endocrine, immune and behavioral effects of aldicarb (carbamate), atrazine (triazine) and nitrate (fertilizer) mixtures at groundwater concentrations. Toxicol Ind Health 1999 Jan-Mar;15(1-2):133-50.

25. Watson, Traci, Common herbicide likely causes cancer. USA Today, June 29, 2000.

26. Nelson L, American Academy of Neurology’s 52nd annual meeting in San Diego, CA, April 29-May 6, 2000.

27. McGraw M, Bishop N, Jameson R, Robinson MJ, O’Hara M, Hewitt CD, Day JP, Aluminium content of milk formulae and intravenous fluids used in infants.Lancet 1986 Jan 18;1(8473):157.

28. Dabeka RW, McKenzie AD, Lead, cadmium, and fluoride levels in market milk and infant formulas in Canada. J Assoc Off Anal Chem 1987;70(4):754-57.

29. Silva M, Reynolds EC, Fluoride content of infant formulae in Australia. Aust Dent J 1996 Feb;41(1):37-42.

30. Pendrys DG, Katz RV, Morse DE, Risk factors for enamel fluorosis in a fluoridated population. Am J Epidemiol 1994 Sep 1;140(5):461-71.

31. Schettler T, Stein J, Reich F, Valenti M, In Harm’s Way: Toxic Threats to Child Development. (http://www.igc.org/psr/ihw.htm) Greater Boston Physicians for Social Responsibility, May 2000.

32. Studies dealing with fluoride and thyroid. (http://www.bruha.com/fluoride/html/thyroid_studies.htm)See also: Fluoride Controversy in the Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients. (http://www.tldp.com/fluoride.htm)

33. Soy Nutritive Content, United Soybean Board. (http://www.talksoy.com/nutritive1.htm)

34. Pfeiffer CC, Braverman ER, Zinc, the brain and behavior. Biol Psychiatry 1982 Apr;17(4):513-32.

35. Personal communication with Dr. Mary G. Enig

36. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Food & Nutrition Research Briefs, July 1997. (http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/usda/fnrb/fnrb797.html)

37. Frederickson CJ, Suh SW, Silva D, Frederickson CJ, Thompson RB, Importance of zinc in the central nervous system: the zinc-containing neuron. J Nutr 2000 May;130(5S Suppl):1471S-83S.

38. Ho LH, Ratnaike RN, Zalewski PD, Involvement of intracellular labile zinc in suppression of DEVD-caspase activity in human neuroblastoma cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2000 Feb 5;268(1):148-54.

Soy Toxins

http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/03toxins.htm

There's plenty yet that you didn't know about soy!

Soy contains several naturally occurring compounds that are toxic to humans and animals. The soy industry frequently refers to these toxins as anti-nutrients, which implies that they somehow act to prevent the body getting the complete nutrition it needs from a food. The soy toxins (such as phytic acid) can certainly act in this manner, but they also have the ability to target specific organs, cells and enzyme pathways and their effects can be devastating.

The soy toxins that Soy Online Service have concerns about are protease inhibitors, phytic acid, soy lectins (or haemagglutins), nitrosamines, manganese concentrations and the mysterious soyatoxin. Nitrosamines are not naturally occurring in soybeans but form during the processing of products such as isolated soy protein (ISP).

As with any toxin there will be a dose at which negative effects are not observed. Soy Online Services have examined the scientific data on the soy toxins and have uncovered several alarming truths:
bullet

* There is no legislation to protect consumers from soy toxins in raw soy products.

* With the possible exception of soy lecithin, all soy products, no matter how well treated, contain low to moderate levels of soy toxins; processing cannot remove them all of any of them.

* The soy industry has little in the way of quality control to protect consumers from exposure to inadequately treated soy products.

Protease Inhibitors

Perhaps the best known of the soy toxins are the protease inhibitors (also referred to as trypsin inhibitors) which, as the name suggests, are able to inhibit the action of proteases (including trypsin) which are enzymes that are involved in the process of dismantling proteins for use by the body.

In the rat, high levels of exposure to protease inhibitors (such as that found in raw soy flour) cause pancreatic cancer whereas moderate levels cause the rat pancreas to be more susceptible to cancer-causing agents. The validity of the rat model to humans has been questioned and the USFDA have examined the effects of protease inhibitors on the Cebus monkey (JP Harwood et al., Adv Exp Med Biol 1986 199: 223-37).

The parameters of the Cebus Monkey study were as follows:
Group Number of monkeys Dietary Protein Trypsin Inhibitor (mg/g of diet)
1 8 Lactalbumin 0.12
2 10 Soy Isolate 0.54
3 6 Casein 0.08
4 2 Soy Concentrate 2.41

After five years of chronic ingestion to low levels of trypsin inhibitors, there was no discernible pancreatic damage effect in monkeys from groups 1-3. However, one monkey in group 4 exhibited moderate diffuse acinar atrophy, moderate diffuse interstitial fibrosis and moderate chronic pancreatitis in all three sections of tissue examined. Minimal lymphoid hyperplasia was noted in the other group 4 monkey.

Therefore, there is good reason to question claims that low levels of soy protease inhibitors pose no threat to human health. Such a statement has even been made by the USFDA in response to a health claim petition by Protein Technologies. The USFDA reported that:

'Concerns have been raised in the past about exposure to trypsin inhibitors contained in soybeans because these compounds had been found to stimulate pancreatic hyperplasia and hypertrophy in animals. These concerns have been allayed because heat treatment removes most of the activity of these proteases. In addition, recent studies have questioned the applicability of the animal models, which differ from humans in the type of diet, sensitivity of the pancreas to trypsin inhibitors, and the anatomic sites of pancreatic cell proliferation and have found low rates of cancer in populations with dietary patterns that include soy foods' (FR 63, 217:62977-63015, 1998).

This statement brought an angry response from Professor Irvin Leiner, the foremost expert on protease inhibitors. In his reply to the FDA Liener wrote:

'"The impression one gets from reading this section is that that there is little cause for concern as far as the human exposure to soybean trypsin inhibitors is concerned.... In the interests of a balanced treatment of the subject, I trust you will give due consideration to the opposing view that the soybean trypsin inhibitors do in fact pose a potential risk to humans when soy protein is incorporated into the diet."

So, if there is valid concern about low levels of protease inhibitors in soy foods, what about exposures to levels higher higher than those in the Cebus monkey study? Is there any chance that such exposures could occur in human diets?

Soy Online Service has noted that there is considerable variability in the levels of protease inhibitors in commercially available foods and that there is little to protect consumers from exposure to high levels of protease inhibitors. For example, a study entitled 'Trypsin inhibitor levels in soy-based infant formulas and commercial soy protein isolates and concentrates (RW Peace et al., 1992, Food Res Int, 25: 137-141) found that trypsin inhibitor levels were as high as 2.72 mg/g in ready to feed soy formulas and 7.30 mg/g in soy protein concentrate.

Since there is no established acceptable levels of protease inhibitors in foods and no protection from short-term high level (acute) exposures or long term low level (chronic) exposures, Soy Online Service offer the following advice:
bullet

* Don't feed your baby or infant a soy formula; there are alternatives!
* Avoid the direct consumption of raw or partially processed soy products such as soy flour or soy protein concentrate. Traditionally fermented soy foods are relatively free of protease inhibitors.
* When preparing your own soy foods, such as boiled or roasted soybeans or soy milk, ensure that they are adequately heated. The traditional Chinese method for preparing soybeans was a time consuming job that was left to monks. It involved soaking the beans first and then boiling them twice over 'the full length of an incense'.

Phytates

The term phytate refers to several compounds that are based on phytic acid (inositol hexaphosphate). It is the presence of multiple phosphates in phytates that makes them effective chelating agents, i.e. they have the ability to bind to certain metal ions. Obviously if metals are bound up in a phytate-complex, they are less available to the body ( i.e. less bioavailable) for nutritive purposes.

Phytates are particularly adept at binding metals in their so-called divalent state, metal ions such as calcium (Ca2+), copper (Cu2+), iron (Fe2+), manganese (Mn2+) and zinc (Zn2+).

Soybeans contain very high levels of phytate and their are numerous reports of reduced bioavailablity of various metals from foods containing soy; this has particular significance for vegetarians and infants fed soy-formulas.

Vegetarians, particularly young women vegetarians, need to be aware that soy products affect their iron and zinc requirements and it has been recommended that they utilise strategies that minimise the intake of dietary phytate.

The effects of phytate in soy-formulas are a great concern. The iron and zinc requirements of developing infants are well documented, particularly those that relate to cognitive function. There is no question that infants fed soy-formulas are at greater risk of reduced uptake of various essential minerals compared with breast-fed infants or infants fed other formulas.
bullet Copper bioavailability is significantly lower in rhesus monkeys fed low-phytate soy formula from 2 to 4 months.
Iron absorption in infants is approximately doubled by the removal of phytate from soy formula; a similar effect is observed by doubling the ascorbic acid content of a soy formula.
Manganese absorption is also doubled by the removal of phytate from soy formula, but increasing the ascorbic acid content of a soy formula containing the native amount of phytic acid did not improve manganese absorption.
Zinc bioavailability from soy formulas is also reduced by phytate. In rhesus monkeys, zinc absorption was 2.0 times greater from monkey milk compared with soy formula, 2.2 times greater from whey-predominant formula compared with soy formula and 1.7 times greater from casein-predominant formula compared with soy formula. Zinc absorption from dephytinized soy formula was approximately the same as that from casein-predominant formula.

Soy formulas are typically over-supplemented with minerals and vitamins to account for the deficiencies caused by phytate, but it is evident that this does not take care of the problems. Removal of phytate from soy formulas is altogether a better solution but manufactures have not shown any inclination do this. Why not? Phytate removal will cost $$$ and it seems to us that soy formula manufacturers consider economics to be more important than the well being of infants.

Phytates and Scoleosis

Soyonlineservice receives questions about whether soy formulas are causing scoliosis in children. As far as we know there has been no direct research on an association between soy formulas and childhood scoliosis, presumably because the industry has never admitted that it leaves this chemical in its products. Howerver, the levels of phytic acid in soy protein can run as high as 3% of the volume, and soy protein is 19% of soy formulas. Therefore it is feasible and entirely possible for its depletion to the later onset of scoliosis to result

Bioavailability of zinc in milk and soy protein-based infant formulas.
Momcilovic B, Belonje B, Giroux A, Shah BG. J Nutr. 1976 Jul;106(7):913-7.

Thus, to provide equivalent amounts of available zinc, the total zinc content of the soy protein-based formula would need to be at least 20% higher than that of the formula containing milk protein.

Full Abstract Here

Manganese

The soybean plant has the ability to absorb manganese from the soil and concentrate it to an extent that soy-based infant formulas can contain as much as 200 times the level of manganese found in natural breast milk. In babies, excess manganese that cannot be metabolised is stored in body organs. Around eight percent of the excess manganese in the diet is stored in the brain in close proximity to the dopamine-bearing neurons responsible, in part, for adolescent neurological development.

The implications are that the one in eight infants raised on soy formula during the first six months of life may be at risk of brain and behavioural disorders that do not become evident until adolescence. The following three articles discuss the issue of manganese toxicity further:

Is soy-based infant formula brain damaging? Press Release written by David Goodman, Ph.D.

ADD-ing it up: soy infant formula, ADD/ADHD and manganese toxicity

Kaayla T. Daniel, PhD, CCN, 2162 Candelero Street, Santa Fe, NM 87505
Phone: +1 505 984 2093
Email: wholenutrifionist@earthlink.com

Abstract
Manganese is an essential trace mineral, but high levels are neurotoxic to newborns. Infants fed soy infant formula ingest as much as 80 times more manganese per day than those who are breast fed. Although healthy toddlers, children and adults exposed to excess manganese can usually eliminate most of it, infants cannot because their immature livers are not fully functional. At the same time, their growing brains and other organs are highly susceptible to damage from neurotoxins. This article reviews research showing that neonates exposed to the high levels of manganese present in soy formula are at increased risk for neurodevelopmental abnormalities, including an impaired ability to make the neurotransmitter dopamine and damage to the substantia nigra, caudate, putamen and globus pallidus areas of the brain. These findings suggest that soy infant formula is a likely contributor to the epidemic of ADD/ADHD and other cognitive and behavioral disorders.

This paper is a slightly revised and updated version of Chapter 21 from my book The Whole Soy Story: The Dark Side of America’s Favorite Health Food (Publisher: NewTrends Publishing, Inc. (March 10, 2005); ISBN: 0967089751). © Copyright 2005 Pearblossom Private School, Inc.—Publishing Division. All rights reserved.

"How safe is soy infant formula?".

Manganese content of soy or rice beverages is high in comparison to infant formulas.

Cockell KA, Bonacci G, Belonje B.

Nutrition Research Division, Bureau of Nutritional Sciences, Food Directorate, Health Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. kevin_cockell@hc-sc.gc.ca

OBJECTIVE: Well-meaning but inadequately informed parents may perceive plant-based beverages such as soy beverages (SB) or rice beverages (RB) as an alternative to infant formula. Manganese (Mn) is an essential mineral nutrient found at high levels in plants such as soy and rice. Excessive Mn exposure increases the risk of adverse neurological effects. METHODS: We analysed, by atomic absorption spectrometry, the Mn content of 36 SB, 5 RB, 6 evaporated milks (EM), 14 soy-based infant formulas (SF) and 16 milk-based infant formulas (MF), obtained from commercial outlets in Ottawa, Canada. RESULTS: SB had the highest levels of Mn (16.5 +/- 8.6 micro g/g dry wt, mean +/- s.d.), followed by RB (9.9 +/- 1.7 micro g/g dry wt). Mn levels of individual SB/RB ranged from 2 to 17 times the mean Mn content of SF (2.4 +/- 0.7 micro g/g dry wt) and 7 to 56 times that of MF (0.70 +/- 0.35 micro g/g dry wt). EM contained very little Mn (0.02 +/- 0.03 micro g/g dry wt). Calculated mean Mn intakes from SB/RB by infants up to 6 months of age, assuming complete substitution of these products (0.78 L/day), approached the Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) for 1-3 year olds (no UL for Mn is available for infants under 1 year of age). Expressed as micro g Mn/100 kcal, SB/RB exceeded the range derived from ULs and typical energy intakes of 1-3 year olds. CONCLUSIONS: SB/RB should not be fed to infants because they are nutritionally inadequate and contain Mn at levels which may present an increased risk of adverse neurological effects if used as a sole source of nutrition.

Aluminium

Aluminum and bone disorders: with specific reference to aluminum contamination of infant nutrients.
Koo WW, Kaplan LA. J Am Coll Nutr. 1988 Jun;7(3):199-214.

Enteral nutrients including human and whole cow milk have low Al, whereas highly processed infant formulas with multiple additives, such as soy formula, preterm infant formula, and formulas for specific disorders are heavily contaminated with Al.

However, even with normal renal function, only 30-60% of an Al load from parenteral nutrition is excreted in the urine, resulting in tissue accumulation of Al.

To minimize tissue burden, Al content of infant nutrients should be similar to "background" levels, i.e., similar to whole milk (less than 50 micrograms/L).

Full Abstract Here

Vitamin B12 Deficiency

Vitamin B 12 deficiency has been recognised as a serious result of soy consumption for many years. For instance JJ Rackis discusses it in January 1974 in "Biological and Physiological Factors in Soybeans' in the J. Am. Oil Chemists Soc, pp 161", and Irvin E Liener examines it in 1994 in "Implications of Anti-Nutritional Components in Soybean Foods in Soybean" in Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition

There is a simple explanation of some of the physical effects that can result from a deficiency of this important nutrient at. "Vegans Deficient in Nutrients".

If the Moorhead trial judge had known this, would these people now be serving a jail term for the death of their child?

Read about the Seventh Day Adventist Moorheads Here and Here.

Vitamin B1 Deficiency

Soy is deficient in Vitamin B1. In extreme cases...as in the one below,where it seems the formula maker ( a Heinz subsidiary) omitted to fortify the formula with Vitamin B1 to compensate for the nutritional risks of consuming too much soy.

Arutz-7 News: Monday, November 10, 2003

THREE BABIES HOSPITALIZED WITH BERIBERI
Three infants between the ages of five months and a year were hospitalized in Soroka Hospital in Be'er Sheva last night, for fear that they, too, may have been inflicted with the Remedia-B1 syndrome. The number of hospitalized babies in the Remedia case is now eight; 17 instances have been discovered, and three babies have died, including one who died six months ago. The condition of three babies in Schneider Children's Hospital has improved, although a fourth is still unconscious.

The Health Ministry issued instructions last night for all parents who have fed their babies Remedia's soy-based milk substitute in the past two months to take them for check-ups. The country's health funds will distribute free Vitamin B1 syrup to babies who need it.

The Health Ministry now assumes that the mysterious disease is nothing other than beriberi, a severe thiamine (B1) deficiency, which some feel is a "third world" disease. Beriberi has become very rare in the western world because most foods are vitamin-enriched. However, it can occur in breast-fed infants when the mother has an inadequate intake of thiamine, in infants fed formulas with inadequate thiamine supplements, and in developing countries with limited diets based largely on milled rice.

The Remedia formula is not poisonous, but it does not contain the all-important Vitamin B1 - contrary to the list of ingredients on the package. The formula was changed several months ago, but the list of ingredients did not reflect the new composition. Not only did the stock of Remedia's competitor Materna jump 41% yesterday, but the State Prosecution is now considering a criminal investigation against the directors of Remedia.

Other Toxins

Letter to FDA CONSUMER magazine http://www.fda.gov/fdac/departs/2000/400_ltrs.html August 2000

The FDA Consumer article on soy spoke of the possible risks of plant estrogens, but made no mention of the carcinogenic effects of protease inhibitors found in soy. McGuinness et al. report rats fed raw soya flour develop cancer of the pancreas ("The effects of long-term feeding of soya flour on the rat pancreas," Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, 1980; 15:497-502). They say that preheating the flour protected the animals, but others have said that the high heat required (130 degrees Celsius) to deactivate the carcinogenic trypsin inhibitors in soya flour denatures the soy proteins to the point that they become virtually useless. If this is so, one either chooses less heating, resulting in more surviving trypsin inhibitors, or more heating, resulting in useless protein.

William Jarvis, Ph.D.

Department of Health Promotion and Education

Loma Linda University

Loma Linda, Calif.

Soyatoxin

The soy industry funds millions of dollars of research each year; what chance is there for the discoverers of soyatoxin to get funding to continue their work?

More links available in the text at http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/03toxins.htm

While searching for something else, I came across this excellent article on essential vitamins and minerals here ; 'Dead Doctors Don't Lie', posted by GRiM.

This made me check the vitamins in the vitamin supplements I take (manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline), and I found that one of the 'ingredients' was something called soyphosphatides.

A search on this compound and its composition brought up this website, among others: _http://www.patentgenius.com/patent/5025004.html. According to the patent taken out, soyphosphatides is an 'oil-in-water emulsifier' used in the coating of medicaments, which would presumably include the soft-coated vitamin capsules; each capsule composed of 90mg soyphosphatides, far more than any of the vitamin percentages. This seems very high to me, but I'm not very good with chemistry, and 90mg may be a normal composition.

My question is; is the 'soy' in soyphosphatides to be included with the dangerous soy of this thread? If so, should I find another brand of vitamin supplements to take that does not contain this soyphosphatides? I've been taking these vitamins for about 6 years now.

Bedower said:
While searching for something else, I came across this excellent article on essential vitamins and minerals here ; 'Dead Doctors Don't Lie', posted by GRiM.

This made me check the vitamins in the vitamin supplements I take (manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline), and I found that one of the 'ingredients' was something called soyphosphatides.

A search on this compound and its composition brought up this website, among others: _http://www.patentgenius.com/patent/5025004.html. According to the patent taken out, soyphosphatides is an 'oil-in-water emulsifier' used in the coating of medicaments, which would presumably include the soft-coated vitamin capsules; each capsule composed of 90mg soyphosphatides, far more than any of the vitamin percentages. This seems very high to me, but I'm not very good with chemistry, and 90mg may be a normal composition.

My question is; is the 'soy' in soyphosphatides to be included with the dangerous soy of this thread? If so, should I find another brand of vitamin supplements to take that does not contain this soyphosphatides? I've been taking these vitamins for about 6 years now.

Hi Bedower,

Phosphotides are also called Phospholipids.
Wiki said:
phospholipid

1. (chemistry) any lipid, such as lecithin or cephalin, consisting of a diglyceride combined with a phosphate group and a simple organic molecule such as choline or ethanolamine; they are important constituents of biological membranes.
_http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/phospholipid

Phosphatidylcholine is a phospholipid recommended by Dr Rogers in Detoxify or Die and it is derived from the lecthin of egg yolks or soy beans.

Wiki said:
Phosphatidylcholines are a class of phospholipids which incorporate choline as a headgroup. They are a major component of biological membranes and can be isolated from either egg yolk (in Greek lekithos - λεκιθος) or soy beans from which they are mechanically extracted or chemically extracted using hexane.

I'd be wary of a soy derived tablet/vitamin coating manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline :scared:. Fwiw

[quote author=Megapode yesterday] I'd be wary of a soy derived tablet/vitamin coating manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline [/quote]

Thanks Megapode. Even as I was typing, I realised I'd already made the decision to change vitamin supplement brands, being aware that GSK are 'BigPharma' and therefore not to be trusted.

I have to confess though that most of your info zapped above my head :huh: ; intricate chemistry being a closed book to me. What I do understand is that much of the soy on the market these days has been genetically altered, and this GM soy is the kind most likely to be used by the pharmaceutical companies.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions :flowers:

HI Bedower,
As I reread it, I think that I wasn't clear at all and actually I see self importance run amuck! :O My apologies. What I should have said was :
"Soyphosphatides sounds like word salad and a covert way to say Soy. I'd be wary of a soy derived tablet/vitamin coating manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline"

[quote author=Megapode yesterday] As I reread it, I think that I wasn't clear at all and actually I see self importance run amuck! My apologies. [/quote]

Hi Megapode,

I've been thinking a lot about your answer, quoted above, and no matter how many times I run it past myself I still can't find a good reason why you think you need to apologise. After all, it isn't your fault I have a massive gap in intricate chemistry knowledge, or that chemists themselves use incomprehensible and ostentatious words to describe the chemical compositions of elements (osit). Fwiw, I think these made-up unpronouncable words are a deliberate attempt to make the rest of us feel inferior. And if that is the case, where does self-importance really belong?

What I should have said was :
"Soyphosphatides sounds like word salad and a covert way to say Soy.

Exactly, which just proves my point, osit! (Btw, 'word salad' just about describes intricate chemistry for me, although I'm sure chemistry is important to a lot of people. I mean, why use a four syllable word to describe a one-syllable whatchamacallit?).

No, apology not accepted because there was no need for one in the first place, imo. Your quotes are still valuable for someone out there, I'm sure of it. ;)

I'd be wary of a soy derived tablet/vitamin coating manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline"

Yup, that's the conclusion I'd reached also, especially in light of this thread and your response.

:halo:

LOL Bedower. My reader could be wayy off.
When I read it before my post, I thought 'that's not very externally considerate' and it gave me to self observe time, so it's all good :D

It's true tha soy is very controversial. I didn't know it was that dangerous. Soy may be dangerous (and it appears like it is, specially for babies

Angelina Jacob
Is the grapefruit diet the same as a grapefruit juice cleanse?
_http://themastercleanse.org/the-grapefruit-diet

angelina9 said:
It's true tha soy is very controversial. I didn't know it was that dangerous. Soy may be dangerous (and it appears like it is, specially for babies

Angelina Jacob
Is the grapefruit diet the same as a grapefruit juice cleanse?
_http://themastercleanse.org/the-grapefruit-diet

Hi Angelina, why don't you post an intro in the newbies section? :)

Not really sure, but the grapefruit diet and the g. juice cleanse look like the same to me. Anyway, you may read the threads about 'detox' and 'candida' in this forum, before eating anything so sweet like fruit in so large amounts as prescribed in the grapefruit diet/cleanse.

A couple examples:

Anti-Candida, Inflammation, Heavy Metals Detox and Diet

Detoxification: Heavy Metals, Mercury and how to get rid of them

Pob said:
Saw this article on cows milk that is rather damning: Not sure if it is all true.
*************** COW'S MILK AND DAIRY (approx 3000 words)
By Dave Rietz, WEBmaster www.notmilk.com

Yes... mother natures "perfect food" ... for a calf!
[Until it's weaned]

Everything you know about cow's milk and dairy is probably part of a
Dairy industry MYTH! Cow's milk is an unhealthy fluid from diseased
animals that has a wide range of dangerous and disease-causing
substances that have a cumulative negative effect on all who consume it.

Basic Contents:

*ALL* cow's milk has 59 active hormones, scores of allergens, fat and
cholesterol. Most cow's milk has measurable quantities of herbicides,
pesticides, dioxin's (up to 200 times the safe levels), up to 52
powerful antibiotics (perhaps 53 with LS-50), blood, pus, feces,
bacteria and viruses. (Cow's milk can have traces of anything the cow
ate... including such things as radioactive fallout from nuke testing
... (the 50's strontium-90 problem).

The leading causes of death are:

http://webapp.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/leadcaus.html (1998)

Rank Total Description

1 724,859 Heart Disease (think fats/cholesterol: meat,dairy)
2 541,532 Malignant Neoplasms (cancer: think toxins/milk/dairy)
2a 250,000 Medical system (drugs/etc. Think ignorance/incompetence)
3 158,448 Cerebro-vascular (think meat milk and dairy)
4 112,584 Bronchitis Emphysema Asthma (think toxins/milk/dairy)
5 97,835 Unintentional Inj & Adv. Effects
6 91,871 Pneumonia & Influenza (think weak immune systems and mucus)
7 64,751 Diabetes (think milk/dairy)
7a 40,000+ highway slaughter (men, women and children)
8 30,575 Suicide (think behavioral problems)
9 26,182 Nephritis (Bright's disease: inflammation of the kidneys)
10 25,192 Liver Disease (think alcohol and other toxins)

(2a and 7a were added for completeness)

(note: Number 13 on the CDC list is -18,272 Homicide & Legal
Intervention-. It is curious that the CDC would readily list law
enforcement and homicides... and not the 250,000 deaths caused by
the medical system!)

**** Cancer "Fuel Cell":

Of those 59 hormones one is a powerful GROWTH hormone called Insulin-
like Growth Factor ONE (IGF-1). By a freak of nature it is identical
between cows and humans. Consider this hormone to be a "fuel cell" for
any cancer... (the medical world says IGF-1 is a key factor in the rapid
growth and proliferation of breast, prostate and colon cancers, and we
suspect that most likely it will be found to promote ALL cancers).

IGF-1 is a normal part of ALL milk... the newborn is SUPPOSED to grow
quickly! What makes the 50% of obese American consumers think they
need MORE growth? Consumers don't think anything about it because they
do not have a clue to the problem... nor do most of our doctors.

(See http://www.notmilk.com/igf1time.txt for a time line)

**** Quantity

Each bite of hard cheese has TEN TIMES whatever was in that sip of
milk... because it takes ten pounds of milk to make one pound of cheese.
Each bite of ice cream has 12 times ... and every swipe of butter 21
times whatever is contained in the fat molecules in a sip of milk.

**** Monsanto and rbGH (Posilac)

Monsanto Chemical Co., maker of fine poisons such as DDT, agent
orange, Roundup and more... spent around half a billion dollars
inventing a shot to inject into cows... to force a cow to produce MORE
milk (for an already glutted taxpayer subsidized market).

Unfortunately, they created *FIVE* errors in their Frankenstein
Posilac (rbGH) shot that direly affected all test animals... but that
important report (Richard, Odaglia & Deslex, 1989) has been hidden from
everyone under Clinton's Trade Secrets act. The Canadians read enough
of this report (before it was stolen) to reject rbGH for their country.

Monsanto's Posilac creates additional IGF-1 in milk: up to 80% more.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) insists that IGF-1 is destroyed
in the stomach. If that were true, the FDA has proven that
breast feeding cannot work. Common sense says their "finding" is
ridiculous because this growth factor DOES make the baby calf grow
(rapidly, as mother natured intended). Visit the Dairy Education Board
at http://www.notmilk.com/deb/100399.html to review a DAIRY study that
confirms what the FDA has lied about this for years.

**** IGF-1 increases

This study involved two groups. One group consuming 12 ounces of
milk a day and the other consuming the USDA recommended allowance of 24
ounces (three cups). This report notes that the participants consuming
12 ounces more milk per day... HAD A 10% RISE IN IGF-1 IN THEIR BLOOD
SERUM! Now, consider that PER DAY, from ALL sources, the typical
milk/dairy consumer ingests approximately 39% of daily diet from
dairy... and that 10% increase becomes the "tip of the iceberg". We
have NO idea of the non-dairy versus full-dairy difference but
considering cancer rates... it has to be significant.

**** Fat

Whole milk 49% of the calories are from fat.
"2%" milk 35% of the calories are from fat.
Cheddar cheese 74% of the calories are from fat.
Butter 100% of the calories are from fat.

Most folks suspect that butter is all fat. Most folks have no concept
of the just how much fat is in the rest of milk and dairy. Perhaps the
54% of Americans who are obese need to comprehend that milk, ice cream,
cheeses, yogurts, and all the OTHER products that use milk derivatives
(casein, whey, lactose, colostrum) are most likely a significant cause
for their weight and health problem.

**** Calcium

Calcium? Where do the COWS get calcium for their big bones? Yes...
from plants! The calcium they consume from plants has a large amount of
magnesium... necessary for the body to absorb and USE the calcium.

The calcium in cow's milk is basically useless because it has
insufficient magnesium content (those nations with the highest amount of
milk/dairy consumption also have the highest rates of osteoporosis.
Proof? How about a controlled study of 78,000 nurses over a period of
12 years?

Read more about it at:

http://www.notmilk.com/deb/030799.html Article on the 78,000 nurse study
http://www.notmilk.com/deb/092098.html CALCIUM AND BONE DISEASE
http://www.notmilk.com/badbones.html WHO GETS BONE DISEASE?
http://www.notmilk.com/bonehead.txt CRIPPLING BONEHEADS
http://www.notmilk.com/calcium/index.html Consolidated info

Cows milk has three times the calcium as does human breast milk. No
matter, neither are very usable because in order to be absorbed and used
their MUST be an equal quantity of MAGNESIUM (as exists in the greens
that cows eat to get all the calcium they need for their big bones).
Milk has only enough magnesium to absorb around 11% (33mg per cup) of
calcium.

Per the USDA 8 ounces (one cup) of cows milk contains:

Calcium, Ca mg 291.336
Magnesium, Mg mg 32.794

The USDA recommends 1200mg of calcium per day. The USDA recommended
three cups of milk a day only have 900mg of calcium. Some argue that
only 1/3 of the magnesium is necessary. Mother nature seems to suggest
it should be one to one. If the ratio for proper absorption were 1/3
magnesium to one calcium then no more than 300mg of that 900mg of
calcium is usable. If, in fact, it is a one to one ratio... only
98.38mg of calcium is usable.

It is not a matter of how much calcium one ingests... but how much
the do not lose.

**** Protein

Milk can be thought of as "liquid meat" because of its high protein
content which, in concert with other proteins, may actually LEACH
calcium from the body. Countries that consume high protein diets (meat,
milk and dairy) have the highest rates of osteoporosis.

**** The wholesome protein myth:

MILK: 87% of milk is water. That makes it VERY expensive water.

Broken down into its basic groups... WHOLE MILK is:

WATER FAT CASEIN OTHER OTHER
PROTEIN
87% 3.25% 4% 1% 4.75

(note: that is 3.25% "milkfat" which includes the 87% water.)

80% of the protein in milk is casein. Casein is a powerful binder... a
polymer used to make plastics... and a glue that is better used to make
sturdy furniture or hold beer bottle labels in place. It is in
thousands of processed foods as a binder... as "something" caseinate.

Casein is a powerful allergen... a histamine that creates lots of
mucus. The only medicine in Olympic athlete Flo-Jo's body was Benedryl,
a power antihistamine she took to combat her last meal... pizza. See

http://www.notmilk.com/deb/092198.html,
http://www.notmilk.com/deb/111598.html and
http://www.notmilk.com/deb/112398.html for the whole story.

**** Bacteria

Cow's milk is allowed to have feces in it. This is a major source for
bacteria. Milk is typically pasteurized more than once before it gets
to your table... each time for only 15 seconds at 162 degrees
Fahrenheit.

To sanitize water one is told to boil it (212 degrees F) for several
minutes. That is a tremendous disparity, isn't it!

Keep in mind that at room temperature the number of bacteria in milk
DOUBLE around every 20 minutes. No wonder milk turns rotten very
quickly.

**** PUS

ONE cubic centimeter (cc) of commercial cow's milk is allowed to have
up to 750,000 somatic cells (common name is "PUS") and 20,000 live
bacteria... before it is kept off the market.

That amounts to a whopping 20 million live squiggly bacteria and up to
750 MILLION pus cells per liter (bit more than a quart).

1 cup = 236.5882cc 177,441,150 pus cells ~ 4,731,600 bacteria
24 oz (3 glasses) 532,323,450 pus cells ~ 14,220,000 bacteria
(the "recommended" daily intake)

The EU and the Canadians allow for a less "tasty" 400,000,000 pus cells
per liter.

Typically these levels are lower... but they COULD reach these levels
and still get to YOUR table.

**** Cholesterol

The cholesterol content of those three glasses of milk is equal to
what one would get from 53 slices of bacon. Do you know of any doctor
who recommends that much bacon per day?

**** Kosher

Is cow's milk and dairy "Kosher"? Consider this:

"D-3 always is derived from an animal. The sunlight reaction that
converts 7-dehydrocholesterol to vitamin D-3 is a 'pure' chemical
reaction that occurs in your skin in certain cells."

"The provitamin known as 7-dehydrocholesterol is extracted and isolated
from the skins of mammals and purified." (Marian Herbert of the Vitamin
D Workshop U of C)

Vitamin D-3 can come from four different sources:

Pig skin, sheep skin, raw fish liver, and pig brains. Most of the time,
Vitamin D-3 is extracted from pig skin and sold to dairy processors.

Short answer to "is milk kosher" - probably not.

**** Other "stuff":

Fat and cholesterol. Lots of it. Per the dairy influenced USDA
"food pyramid" all milk, dairy and meats should represent no more than
8% of the diet. Statistically, by volume of sales in a nation of 281
million Americans, it works out to almost 40% of the diet for MILK AND
DAIRY.. without the meat.

The milk of each of the over 4,700 mammals on earth is formulated
specifically for that species. There are special lactoferrins and
immunoglobulins (cow specific immunizing stuff) that in humans serve as
allergens.

**** Leukemia

According to Hoards Dairyman (Volume 147, number 4)... 89% of
America's dairy herds have the leukemia virus.
(more at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/notmilk/message/835)

**** Diabetes

The protein lactalbumin, has been identified as a key factor in
diabetes (and a major reason for NOT giving cows milk to infants).

**** Crohn's Disease

Mycobacterium paratuberculosis causes a bovine disease called
"Johne's."

Cows diagnosed with Johne's Disease have diarrhea, and heavy fecal
shedding of bacteria. This bacteria becomes cultured in milk, and is not
destroyed by pasteurization. Occasionally, the milk-borne bacteria will
begin to grow in the human host, and irritable bowel syndrome and
Crohn's results.

**** Mad Cow Disease

There may also be prions (pronounced PREons) in the milk and meat.
This is crystalline substance that acts like a virus... with an
"incubation" period of from 5 to 30 years. The end result is MAD COW
DISEASE!

**** Homogenization

Large fat molecules cannot get through the intestinal wall into the
bloodstream. The cream no longer rises... because homogenization breaks
up those large molecules into small ones that DO get into the
bloodstream! This becomes an expressway for any fat-borne toxins (lead,
dioxin's, etc.) into your (otherwise) most protected organs.

**** Cumulative effects:

How does this impact humans who consume cow's milk and dairy? Obesity
(over 50% of Americans and rising), heart disease, cancer, allergies,
digestive problems, diabetes, asthma, desensitization to antibiotics,
behavioral problems, and the constant ingestion of dioxin's, herbicides,
pesticides (and anything else the cow eats that is not good for any
critter), that winds up getting stored in HUMAN fat... is not healthy by
any measure.

Those who resist believing the truth should understand that MOST of
the world's population CANNOT tolerate the lactose in cow's milk. Up to
95% of the black population, around 53% of the Hispanics, etc.) So
much for cow's milk being "natures perfect food" for humans! Mother
nature knows better.

Common sense question: Where was this massive "milk is a must"
before refrigeration, pasteurization and mass transportation? Back when
cows gave only 1-4 pounds a day it was quickly made into BUTTER and
cheese! Now that those same cows have been tweaked and shot-up with
Posilac to produce up to 55 or more pounds of milk per day... almost all
year long... it is suddenly (after many thousands of years) a daily
"staple". NOT!

**** Pollution

There are around 9.2 million dairy cows in the United states. Each
dairy cow ingests around 330 pounds of feed (perhaps 50 pounds) and water
(around 280 pounds or 33 gallons) per day. Allowing for the best dairy
production of 55 pounds of milk per day (over ten times what mother nature
designed the cow to produce) that means that what remains becomes "slurry".

That means around 275 pound of urine and feces per day... per cow, for
a daily total of 2.53 BILLION pounds of pollution. Per year... that amounts
to around 923 billion pounds of UNTREATED pollution entering our streams,
rivers, lakes... and drinking water systems.

Cows are hot-blooded mammals. Like all other mammals they pass gas.
Somewhat like elephants their compartmented digestive system is rather
inefficient... which leads to the creation of MORE gas. During a
Discovery Channel documentary on elephants a parting quip was that the
average adult elephant passes enough methane gas per day to run a car
about 20 miles.

Cows are not much better. The English New Scientist (page 5 -31.8.96)
mentions that cattle produce around 48 kilograms (105 pounds) of methane
each per year and that more bubbles out of the animals' manure. Dairy
cows eat more because they produce milk. With 9.2 million dairy cows
times a minimum of 100 pounds of methane gas per year... that amounts
almost a billion pounds of methane gas released into the atmosphere each
year. With around 100 million beef cattle... pigs, sheep, and other
"factory farmed" animals it should not be difficult to fathom the extent
of this problem.

This means that "Beef is a greenhouse-intensive food" and a major
cause of global warming (with dairy a significant part of the problem).

Another major point is:

"Milk is a very strong pollutant: it is about 400 times more polluting
than untreated sewage. To put it another way, 1,000 gallons of milk has
the same polluting potential as the untreated sewage from a town of
7,000 people." Morlais Owen. Chief Scientist for Welsh Water. North
Wales Weekly News. 24.3.88.

**** SOME ANSWERED QUESTIONS:

Q: What is WHEY?

Whey results when the FAT and CASEIN are removed from milk.
In making cheese, the curds become the cheese.

Whey's main components are bovine serum albumin and lactalbumin.
There are other hormones contained in whey.

Q: What happens to the:

59 hormones
Scores of allergens
herbicides, pesticides, dioxin's
up to 52 antibiotics

when made into cheese?

A. Everything gets concentrated.

when made into butter?

A. The allergens get lost: but the dioxin's and
pesticides and antibiotics remain in the fat.

in the digestive system?

Steroid hormones survive, as do dioxin's and antibiotics.
In homogenized milk, protein hormones survive... depending upon the
gastric pH, some protein hormones in cheese survive, but not all...
eleven steroid hormones survive.

and... what happens next?

Eventually, everything is broken down, but not before the chemical
messengers (hormones) "deliver their message."

Each of those hormones and proteins acts differently and has different
rates of degradation. BOTTOM LINE... they all survive to a certain
degree... and the effects are cumulative.

Other health trashing substances in cow's milk:

whey: Blood proteins. Bovine serum lactalbumin has been identified as a
trigger for diabetes and other autoimmune diseases.

lactose: Two sugars. Glucose and galactose. Galactose has been
indentified as a trigger for glaucoma. There are several columns that
cover lactose (covering galactose and galactosemia):

http://www.notmilk.com/deb/090599.txt Dr. Gordon: Heart Disease
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/notmilk/message/629 Lactose is dangerous
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/notmilk/message/453 Ben's heart
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/notmilk/message/396 Female Cancers
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/notmilk/message/378 Lactose intolerance

colostrum (cow's first milk): Loaded with hormones, particularly IGF-I,
along with loads of immunizing agents for COW DISEASES.

Answers courtesy of the NOTMILKMAN. (notmilkman@notmilk.com)

MILK: What a surprise!

(read what a NOTMILK guest book respondent said:
http://www.notmilk.com/gbooktalk.txt)

For more of the WHOLE truth... visit:

For all past newsletters visit with a wealth of information:
http://www.notmilk.com/deb/column.html

and for the Daily Squirts of NOTMILK wisdom...
http://www.notmilk.com/deb/squirts.html

Diabetics please read http://www.notmilk.com/deb/011099.html

Read up on "mad cow disease"? Visit
http://www.milkgate.com for what may well be mankind's NEXT plague.

http://www.notmilk.com/milkinfo.txt my 2400 word overview (this file)
http://www.notmilk.com/wholemilk.txt USDA facts, and what they omitted
http://www.notmilk.com/52reasons.txt A reason for every week of the
year

Perhaps the BEST single reference:
http://www.notmilk.com/a-z.txt Extensive reasons by ailment/topic

Quote:

"It's not natural for humans to drink cow's milk. Humans milk is for
humans. Cow's milk is for calves. You have no more need of cow's milk
than you do rats milk, horses milk or elephant's milk. Cow's milk is a
high fat fluid exquisitely designed to turn a 65 lb baby calf into a 400
lb cow. That's what cow's milk is for!" Dr Michael Klaper MD

"I no longer recommend dairy products after the age of 2 years. Other
calcium sources offer many advantages that dairy products do not have."
........ Dr. Benjamin Spock

***** PLEASE... PASS THIS INFO AROUND TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW! *****

Other bad news substances:

http://www.dorway.com aspartame (Equal/Nutrasweet) This fake
sweetener is not an effective diet aid and it was NEVER proven to be
safe. Think 92 FDA complied symptoms (including death see
http://www.dorway.com/badnews.html).

http://www.truthinlabeling.org MSG this flavor enhancer kissing-cousin
mind-blower to aspartame has 30 different names. Aspartame was used in
the testing placebos BEFORE it was legal (see
http://www.dorway.com/msg.txt).

Dave Rietz, webmaster@notmilk.com
July 2002

This file: http://www.notmilk.com/milkinfo.txt
I have been considering cut dairy out of my diet for a long time now. I was just saying to my mother the other day that MOST of the world’s population is actually lactose intolerant. There is a reason that baby mammals are weaned from breastfeeding.
The strange thing to me is really the way a lot of people think about milk. An acquaintance of mine a few years back was pregnant and refused to breastfeed because she thought it was gross and was going to give her baby formula. I asked her why she thought a COW’s breast milk was better for her baby than her own. And all the she said was that she thought it was weird to have her baby eating from her breast. She did not like my comment that then her baby would have starved before mass dairy farming.
My problem right now is I need to get more involved in the grocery shopping again. When food is around I will eat it because I do not like to complain about what other people buy. However, I have felt for a long time that milk is great for the infants/babies it is intended for. Not adults of any species.

I have also noticed that when I consume these products, the rate of my gastrointestinal upsets increases DRAMATICALLY.

Back
Top Bottom