Soy is VERY dangerous!

Amanecer said:
I was a vegetarian for many years and that has left me with a load of endocrine problems. I am type O and according to the Blood type diet i should be eating loads of animal protein.
Yes, Type O's need meat. You can supplement this need with other protein-rich meals but in the end you should be including meat in your diet.

A review of milks from healthy news

What's best? Soy milk, cow's milk, raw milk and fermented milk (kefir)

Okay, here's the low down on milk products and milk alternatives as I see it:

Soy milk: Not recommended. Too many GMO soybeans, bad environmental impact and some possible undesirable estrogen effects. The isoflavones are good for preventing cancer, however.

Processed cow's milk: It's just gross. Homogenized, pasteurized, milked from unhealthy cows and containing alarmingly high levels of pus, this liquid is nothing less than frightening. Flee it.

Raw cow's milk (organic): This is an acceptable dairy beverage. If it's from healthy cows treated with kindness and good nutrition, this raw beverage is far better than processed cow's milk.

Row goat's milk (organic): Even better than raw cow's milk, since the goat's milk is easier to digest and more compatible with human nutritional needs.

Fermented milk from cows or goats (organic Kefir): A great choice! It's alive, nutritious and great for digestive health. Make it yourself for best results. If you buy it, avoid the sugared-up kefir products in the store.

Raw almond milk: A top choice for vegans, one of my favorite beverages. Make it yourself with raw almonds, water a nut milk bag and a blender.

Hmm.. About a year ago I tried soy milk instead of cows milk. I felt so much better I never looked back. Now I see that soy milk is bad as well. I recently started a gluten free (or at least reduced) diet (no wheat, barley, oats.) This helped me to feel even better, more alert focused.

My food choices keep getting narrower. It might be best not to eat at all, but that might have problems of it's own.

Seriously, I am really having trouble working out a diet that can sustain my health. Maybe there isn't a way to avoid all the bad things and still consume enough to stay alive.

I keep working on it but I don't know...

Thomas

Our household had been using organic soy milk for quite a while before I began to reads articles like the ones posted by Chulin and the rest.
Coffee, baking and all other uses for “milk” were filled with the soy stuff.

A little while back I was beginning to feel a strange tingling sensation in my arms and legs.
Of course the tingling started in the left arm causing my mind to race toward the idea of a heart attack, (coming from a family with a history of exploding hearts this was not so paranoid) but it soon spread to all of my extremities.

We stopped using the soy milk and replaced it with almond and rice milk.
Within days this tingling sensation that had built up over the course of a year or so diminished and is now (months later) completely gone.
The only change to my diet had been the removal of daily soy milk and most soy based products.

While hardly a controlled scientific study, this change in my body since almost entirely removing soy from my diet has convinced me that the consumption of processed soy foods so popular among the vegetarian/vegan folks is best avoided or at the very least severely minimized.

Thomas Alan said:
My food choices keep getting narrower. It might be best not to eat at all, but that might have problems of it's own.
Join the club. It's getting down to meat and a few vegetables, rice and beans for me - and I cheat now and then! One thing that is interesting is taking my meat, running it through the grinder, and making sausage out of it with a few herbs and spices. That kinda perks things up. Lamb is especially good this way.

beau said:
Yes, Type O's need meat. You can supplement this need with other protein-rich meals but in the end you should be including meat in your diet.
I'm type O and after reading a little here about foods/blood type, I was presented with further information from an aquaintance who lent me D'Adamo's book on the topic and I'm now struggling with this issue.

I've been 98% vegetarian for over a decade now (exceptions being seafood, eggs, occasional dairy) and I'm extremely put off by the idea of beginning to consume mammals again! I stopped consuming not out of health concerns, but out of my abhorance for the meat industry in general. (industry being the keyword here) I also try to do as little harm to other creatures as possible, hence not eating them seems to me entirely reasonable.

Furthermore, giving consideration to the general description of the traits of type O's, I only see about 50% of these reflected in myself...the other half are very much out of character or against type (personality) for me.

I am working very much at removing gluten from my daily diet, as I can see quite clearly its adverse affects on my health; mainly manifested in sinus inflamation problems which have increased over the past years.

Are there any other O's here who are similarly conflicted by such a predicament?

I would be interested to hear others' thoughts on this, their experience, etc.

Laura said:
Thomas Alan said:
Join the club. It's getting down to meat and a few vegetables, rice and beans for me - and I cheat now and then! One thing that is interesting is taking my meat, running it through the grinder, and making sausage out of it with a few herbs and spices. That kinda perks things up. Lamb is especially good this way.
I stopped eating meat when I was in my youth (meaning in teenage years) and has to do with my taste sensitivity. I only eat chicken (and eggs), sometime added with some spice and herbs. I eat alot of rice, which is why I'm little heavy on the sides, hello!

I didn't like soy milk because of the taste. I only drink chocolate milk (2%).

Gotta go. Rice time!

Amelopsis said:
Are there any other O's here who are similarly conflicted by such a predicament?
I may be O type, but I cannot comfirm it so I can't say much more about it. I will need to look into it.

Amelopsis said:
I'm not sure what your predicament is. You said you don't eat meat because it's a moral decision. Well, that's funny because we had a nice discussion about that on another thread - http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=6915

Your diet should consist of meat and vegetables, the "hunter-gatherer" diet. It's best to avoid pastas, wheats, and grains. Is your predicament that you enjoy those kinds of foods? Or is it just that you can't bring yourself to eat meat?

Amelopsis said:

I would be interested to hear others' thoughts on this, their experience, etc.
I'm blood type O and I used to be a vegetarian a long time ago. Before that, I ate meat every day and when I became a vegetarian I gained 8 kg and had severe skin allergies coinciding with that time. It was also a stressful time though, so I dunno. Then, after a couple of years or three I realized that being a vegetarian was not for me and I changed my diet again. Then I lost some weight, not the 8 Kg (I was way to thin anyway) and skin is okay too.

beau said:
Is your predicament that you enjoy those kinds of foods? Or is it just that you can't bring yourself to eat meat?
It's precisely both. I'm certainly more uneasy with eating meat than I am about getting off the specific carbs, that part is just about learning to be creative with the appropriate ingredients. But I truly cannot say that I noticed any detriment to the condition of my health as a result of not eating meat, as a few others say has been their experience.

In looking through the O type foods I'm finding it rather challenging that some of my favourites (fruits, veg) are on the banned list, and some of my least favourite are the best ones for me!

Sorry if this is OT for the thread, I'll shift over to the other which you've pointed out.

I've gotten off the soy milk in favour of almond and sometimes rice milk .... I have noticed a general improvement since cutting out soy milk and most soy products.

That said, I'm eating some ocean perch tonight and since it's been such a long time I'll be all the more observant of how my body responds to this evening's supper.

Hi Amelopsis, the question that pops to mind for me is whether or not you are sure you are an O? If you are sure, then perhaps you can find a happy (functional) medium by removing grains completely and sticking to not eating meat. Ultimately, it's your life and your body, and you should do what makes you feel best.

As a side note, if you've not eaten any animal protein for a long time then eating the perch this evening may not result in a positive experience simply because your digestive system may need to readjust. This may not be the case, but if it has been a really long time, it very well may be.

Hi Anart,

I am certain that I'm an O, at least my once upon a time donor card says so. When I was first reading about the diet for my type, I must have looked at it half a dozen times just to be sure myself !

The modified diet which you propose is what I have been thinking I will likely do. While I realise that the descriptions of type in such books as D'Adamo's are by necessity or by nature, quite vast generalisations, I really am struck by how many traits simply do not apply to me. Others, however do, so I cannot by any means dismiss the characterisations out of hand.

I think I'll be doing some further research on my blood type (I don't know much about this aside from that particular author's book) as I'm curious to know if there's any gray area, for lack of a better term. A friend who is A+ but does not show all the markers, is often mistaken as A-, a potentially deadly mistake!...obfuscation of medical treatment has ensued when attempting to assure health workers that her blood is in fact positive despite there not being a clear indication from routine blood tests, only from more elaborate and time consuming ones. (she's getting a medicalert bracelet as a result of recent events)

Of course the simpler and more likely explanation in my case is just a matter of individuality...we each have a physiology which may respond differently to the same stimulus, et al.

I've become quite accustomed to carefully reading ingredients, but once ended up consuming a can of soup which I hastily purchased and overlooked the beef tallow which was in it! I only discovered it when after 20 minutes I was not feeling very comfortable and fished the can out of the recycling to check the ingredients...not a pleasant feeling at all, and not a mistake which will be repeated!

I have never entirely cut out seafood, so while I don't consume it with any regularity, it has never upset my system; it's the land mammals which would be a shock.

So far, so good, as far as the perch was concerned. (and our cats were ever so pleased with our choice!)

(I've only had time to skim and not post on the other thread- "meat?" and I see that Youngfox commented there...we share the same opinions about our 'terror footprint')

Yes, there is individuality, but there is also something else: food combining. Years ago, I had a LOT of digestive problems. Acid reflux was so bad I was on prescription medication and had to sleep on an incline. Of course, everything was blamed on meat and fats. To make a long story short, I had to learn that one must not eat simple carbs at the same meal with meat. In fact, for me, simple carbs should be severely limited.

After adjusting the combinations, I haven't suffered from the digestive problems. And if I slip or cheat and mix the wrong combinations, I have generally a temporary bout with the reflux.

The rule is: no meat with simple carbs like bread, rice, potatoes, etc. Meat with complex carbs like vegetables. If you want to eat rice or potatoes or bread, eat them with vegetables. Any sweets, fruit, etc, eat separately from everything else. (Like a couple hours before or after.)

Then, of course, it may make a difference if you are pos or neg. I'm pos and my daughter, mother, uncle, and several others in the family are negs. They do not tolerate fats very well at all, so they do best on very lean meats and fish.

It's really like putting a puzzle together to find out exactly what works for each individual. There is no "one size fits all!"

Laura said:
If you want to eat rice or potatoes or bread, eat them with vegetables.
I've never thought of that. I already had a burrio that have rice with lettuce and shredded cheese. Sometimes, just rice, nothing else (except soda drinks). So, I'll try rice and maybe corn or peas.

Since I brought the subject up, and it is very helpful, here's a bit about food combining below. Keep in mind that the issue of blood type and other factors is not considered here and some of this may be incorrect because the blood type factor is NOT considered.

http://www.internethealthlibrary.com/DietandLifestyle/Food_combining.htm

Food Combining

It is commonly believed that the human stomach should be able to digest any number of different foods at the same time. However, digestion is governed by physiological chemistry. It is not what we eat that is crucial to our health, but what we digest and assimilate.

Digestive enzymes

Digestive enzymes are secreted in very specific amounts and at very specific times. Different food types require different digestive secretions. Carbohydrate foods require carbohydrate-splitting enzymes, whereas protein foods require protein splitting enzymes, etc. It is the knowledge of the digestive process that has led many health practitioners to promote efficient food combing, the rules of which are briefly explained below:

1. Carbohydrate foods and acid foods should not be eaten at the same meal. Do not eat bread, rice or potatoes with lemons, limes, oranges, grapefruits, pineapples, tomatoes or other sour fruits. This is because the enzyme, ptyalin, acts only in an alkaline medium; it is destroyed even by a mild acid! Fruit acids not only prevent carbohydrate digestion, but they also produce a fermentation. Oxalic acid, for example, diluted to one part in 10,000 completely arrests the action of ptyalin. And, there is enough acetic acid in one teaspoon of wine vinegar to completely halt salivary digestion. Dr Percy Howe of Harvard Medical School states:

"Many people who cannot eat oranges at a meal derive great benefit from eating them fifteen to thirty minutes before the meal". Herbert Sheldon, author of 'The science and fine art of food and nutrition' reports: " I have put hundreds of patients , who have told me that they could not eat oranges or grapefruit, upon a diet of these fruits and they found that they could take them. Such people are in the habit of taking these foods with a breakfast of cereal, with cream and sugar, egg on toast, stewed prunes and coffee, or some similar meal."
Tomatoes should also never be combined with starchy food as the combination of the various acids in the tomato, which are intensified on cooking, are very much opposed to the alkaline digestion of starches. They may be eaten with leafy vegetables and fat foods.
A Sicilian friend of mine told me that she learned to put carrots in the tomato sauce to change the ph, reduce the acidity. She took them out before serving the sauce on spaghetti. We use gluten free spaghetti or spaghetti squash.

What all this tends to mean is that people who say they cannot eat oranges or grapefruit as it gives them gas, could be blaming the fruit, when the problem may lie with the escape of starches and the bodies release of pancreatic juice and intestinal enzymes to break them down.

In cases where there is hyperacidity of the stomach there is great difficulty digesting starches. Fermentation and poisoning of the body occurs along with much discomfort. This is because the digestion of carbohydrates (starches and sugars) and of protein is so different, that when they are mixed in the stomach they interfere with the digestion of each other.
Type O people tend to have very strong acid for digesting meat. So, obviously, starches are not a good choice for the meat eater, and definitely not in combination with meat!

An acid process (gastric digestion) and an alkaline process (salivary digestion) can not be carried on at the same time in an ideal way in the stomach. Before long, they cannot proceed at all , as the rising acidity of the stomach soon completely stops carbohydrate digestion. The highest efficiency in digestion demands that we eat in such a way as to offer the least hindrance to the work of digestion.

2. Do not eat a concentrated protein and a concentrated carbohydrate at the same meal. This means do not eat nuts, meat, eggs, cheese, or other protein foods at the same meal with bread, cereals, potatoes, sweet fruits. Cakes, etc. Candy and sugar greatly inhibit the secretion of gastric juice and markedly delay digestion and if consumed in large quantities can depress the stomach activity.

3. Do not eat two concentrated proteins at the same meal. Avoid nuts and meat, or eggs and meat, cheese and nuts, cheese and eggs, meat and milk, or eggs and milk or nuts at milk at the same meal. Milk, if taken at all, is best taken alone. The reason for avoiding eating these combinations is because each protein requires a specific character and strength of digestive juice to be secreted. Eggs require different timing in stomach secretions than do either meat or milk.

4. Do not eat fats with proteins. This means do not use cream, butter, oil, etc with meat, eggs, cheese, nuts, etc. Fat depresses the action of the gastric glands by delaying the development of appetite juices and inhibiting the pouring out of the proper gastric juices for meats, nuts, eggs or other protein. Fats may lower the entire gastric tone more than fifty per cent.

5. Do not eat acid fruits with proteins. This is to say, oranges, tomatoes, lemons, pineapples, etc., should not be eaten with meat, eggs, cheese or nuts. Acid fruits seriously hamper protein digestion and results in putrefaction. Milk and orange juice, while by no means an indigestible combination, is far from a good combination. Orange juice and eggs form an even worse combination.

6. Do not consume starch and sugars together. Jellies, jams, fruit, butter, sugar, honey, syrups, molasses, etc., on bread, cake, or at the same meal with cereals, potatoes, etc., or sugar with cereal, will produce fermentation. The practice of eating starches that have been disguised by sweets is also a bad way to eat carbohydrates. If sugar is taken into the mouth it quickly fills with saliva but no ptyalin is present which we know is essential for starch digestion.

7. Eat but one concentrated starch food at a meal. This rule is more important as a means of overeating than as a means of avoiding a bad combination. While overeating of starches may lead to fermentation, there is no certainty that the combination of two starches will do so.

8. Do not consume melons with any other foods. Watermelon, muskmelon, honeydew melon, cantaloupe and other melons should always be eaten alone. This is possibly due to the ease and speed in which melons decompose.

9. Milk is best taken alone or let alone. Milk is the natural food of the mammalian young, each species producing milk peculiarly and precisely adapted to the needs of its young. It is the rule that the young take the milk alone, not in combination with other foods. Milk does not digest in the stomach, but in the duodenum, hence in the presence of milk the stomach does not respond with its secretion. The use of acid fruits with milk does not cause any trouble and apparently does not conflict with its digestion.
So, all that sounds really restrictive and I don't think the situation is quite that complex.

Everything has to be taken with a grain of salt!!!

Back
Top Bottom