Spending your money - on what?

Like most on the forum, I have already accumulated most of the basic items for preparedness. If the grid goes down, I am sure my family could survive without power, as we have blackouts regularly due to storms. However, I get the feeling that, depending on how bad things get, there could be more than a few people that I could shelter or assist in a disaster situation.

One area I have yet to prepare for is power generation (assuming limited or unavailable fossil fuels to power my generator). Having searched the net for information, it seems most who are already living off the grid, have opted for a combination of wind/solar for power needs. More than a few have found that even this is not enough to keep batteries charged, as the sun doesn't always shine nor the wind always blow. As has been said though, I agree that a small solar system is a worthy investment and I intend to look at this option.

Another interesting fuel option (depending on your location), is wood gas http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas. Gasifiers have been around a long time and were used extensively in WW2 when there were fuel shortages and are still in use today. There are quite a few different manufacturers in various countries. There are chinese models such as these - http://cherryyoudo.en.made-in-china.com/product/dXzmNPWuCpcL/China-Eco-Friendly-Energy-Downdraft-Biomass-Gasifier-UDQ-10-UDQ-20-UDQ-30-.html, some of which are available in the US. There are also several US made units like this one - http://www.leafgenerator.com/. They are expensive and you would need to be in a suitable location to utilize one, but they are an option for some. If you had the money, they could be a good investment along with a generator. Or as the C's said, forming a community with people and sharing the cost, you would have a reliable power source that is relatively inexpensive to run.

Another option is to build one yourself, which I am considering, due mainly to cost and lack of locally manufactured units(in Australia). Here is a great site http://buildagasifier.com/ that has links to plans, pics and video of home made units, types of gasifiers and other info. There are many other good sites, as well as plenty on youtube.

This could be a handy unit for some http://www.biolitestove.com/products/campstove/, especially if you have to travel on foot in an emergency.

Thanks will01. The last link is a cool piece of kit (biolite campstove) and is also available on Amazon.com and the UK page/site. Quite good reviews for it too.

Hi will01 - thanks for these links, it's something I have been thinking about a lot lately, I need to ensure I will have the ability to make some sort of fuel/gas/power (but not a noisy generator - don't want to attract trouble). My thoughts were to have a solar power setup totally off the grid, as I live in an area where there's a lot of alternate lifestyles (Northern NSW) but there will be no guarantee of sun, whereas wood is so abundant here.

Meta-Agnostic:
This generator you're talking about sounds great. It does make a difference if it's AC or DC and how many volts but in any case with the proper converter it should be able to charge a car battery (or deep cycle 12v lead acid battery preferred. Deep cycle batteries can be discharged 50% or more of their capacity and recharged with minimal damage whereas a typical car battery can only withstand minimal discharge or larger discharge for a very short time before it's toast)

Thanks for the above information. I appreciate the fact that you are au fait with ways to create electricity in an off grid scenario.
My question is how can I keep my laptop and/or desktop running in such an event. I have more than 70k files I have copied for such an event (and to keep such info available) in order to help people after the emergency.

I too was thinking of a car battery but I don' know what components I need. Plus to have extra ones as replacements and how to recharge them on solar.

The other important item would also be to keep the freezer running as long as possible - if possible - in order to keep food preserved rather than cooking it all at once, as we would still have the problem of conserving it without it going off within days in the heat here.

I know we have to can things but I dont have that option at the moment due to finance etc.

The other important thing is to safeguard all my computers from EMF for which I intend to make Faraday cages (even from hamster cages if necessary) and to transfer information on to diverse media in case any media gets corrupted in the process due to EMF
I would value your input on the above as having saved all relevant information I know that it will be needed not only for my own recaps but also to help others in health and much much more, that is the reason I know I must keep my computer running to access the info once we no longer have internet.

I would bury stuff in the garden for including a spare laptop excepting the fact that even in a faraday cage I have no idea how to prevent it getting wet from deluges without losing the effect of the faraday cage. Wrap in polythene and then put in a metal grid?

I was discussing this with a friend today as well as asking if he can install camaras for me on my apartment (from when I had them for a club, though we cut the cables to take them out quickly as problems with the landlord). I have a downstairs neighbour that has just moved in and keeps messing with the mercedes emblem on my old banger so it alone has prompted me to get the 4 camaras installed.
I think this will be a wise move anyway bearing in mind the things we may witness when tshtf.

I was discussing this with a friend today as well as asking if he can install camaras for me on my apartment (from when I had them for a club, though we cut the cables to take them out quickly as problems with the landlord). I have a downstairs neighbour that has just moved in and keeps messing with the mercedes emblem on my old banger so it alone has prompted me to get the 4 camaras installed.
I think this will be a wise move anyway bearing in mind the things we may witness when tshtf.

From what I understand you are I assume living in a city or town because you mentioned apartment. I would not concentrate so much in your place in getting some generator or having cameras, laptop but like they say GTFOOT because in urban enviroment those who survive are those who are constantly on the move out of the city. If you plan to stick to one place in urban enviroment it is only a matter of time until you are found after a while and do not see what is the purpose of your cameras. You will know when they are coming and then what? Only maybe if you have emergency exist through window or something but if they have two neurons they will be waiting there also. So counting on some laptops and bateries in a long run is not very advisable being in urban enviroment, better to have all on paper, and in such situations hardly you ll have time or will you come back to find buried laptop.

happyliza said:
Meta-Agnostic:
This generator you're talking about sounds great. It does make a difference if it's AC or DC and how many volts but in any case with the proper converter it should be able to charge a car battery (or deep cycle 12v lead acid battery preferred. Deep cycle batteries can be discharged 50% or more of their capacity and recharged with minimal damage whereas a typical car battery can only withstand minimal discharge or larger discharge for a very short time before it's toast)

Thanks for the above information. I appreciate the fact that you are au fait with ways to create electricity in an off grid scenario.
My question is how can I keep my laptop and/or desktop running in such an event. I have more than 70k files I have copied for such an event (and to keep such info available) in order to help people after the emergency.

I too was thinking of a car battery but I don' know what components I need. Plus to have extra ones as replacements and how to recharge them on solar.

The other important item would also be to keep the freezer running as long as possible - if possible - in order to keep food preserved rather than cooking it all at once, as we would still have the problem of conserving it without it going off within days in the heat here.

I know we have to can things but I dont have that option at the moment due to finance etc.

The other important thing is to safeguard all my computers from EMF for which I intend to make Faraday cages (even from hamster cages if necessary) and to transfer information on to diverse media in case any media gets corrupted in the process due to EMF
I would value your input on the above as having saved all relevant information I know that it will be needed not only for my own recaps but also to help others in health and much much more, that is the reason I know I must keep my computer running to access the info once we no longer have internet.

I would bury stuff in the garden for including a spare laptop excepting the fact that even in a faraday cage I have no idea how to prevent it getting wet from deluges without losing the effect of the faraday cage. Wrap in polythene and then put in a metal grid?

Hi happyliza,

Sure, I am happy to contribute my expertise. I do have some electrical and mechanical experience but I'm not a qualified electrician or engineer so any advice should be taken only as suggestion and followed up on independently.

In understanding electricity usage it helps to be familiar with a few terms like watts (power), amps (amperes/current/induction), volts (electromotive force) and resistance. It's not necessary to understand all of the physics in order to get things to work but here are a couple wikipedia articles you could start out with:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_power
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm%27s_law

For the basics of calculating how many watts you need, the equation P=IE or watts = amps * volts comes in quite handy. It works for both AC and DC circuits and is important to keep in mind when converting between the two. Most electronic devices or major appliances should have an amp rating on them somewhere. If it's a DC (direct current) device then it should also tell you how many volts it uses. Sometimes they'll save you the trouble and also tell you how many watts, but if not, just multiply amps times volts. For example, a laptop power adapter might say it has an output of 20 volts and 3 amps, so 20 x 3 = 60 watts. For AC (alternating current) devices that plug directly into the wall without an adapter, they will usually only list amps as the standard voltage is implied (110 or 120 in the U.S.)

To power a laptop from a car battery, a simple low-wattage inverter and some wires to connect is all you should need. An inverter converts DC into AC i.e. household current. Inverters that plug into car cigarette lighters can be found pretty much anywhere; truck stops, auto parts stores, discount stores, hardware stores. I've often seen them on display near checkouts. Inverters are rated by how many watts they are able to provide, so for the 60 watt laptop you would be fine with one that could handle up to 100 watts or so which is about the lowest you'll usually see. I have a 70 watt one that's just a small box with a receptacle on the end of a cigarette lighter plug like this:
0040622410819_A

In theory that would be enough but you don't want to cut it too close; sometimes devices need more start up amps when they're first turned on. At the same time, inverters along with generators will have a higher "peak" watt rating along with a lower continuous rating. On the other end of the spectrum, getting an inverter that's too powerful (say, 1500 watts) for just a laptop is going to waste more of your car battery (or deep cycle battery if you can get one) when it's on.

Although it's important to know all the inverter stuff, with a laptop that runs on DC you would be better off getting an adapter for it that plugs directly into a car cigarette lighter, thus it stays with DC the whole time and doesn't use as much power going through an inverter. If one is available for your laptop model. One more thing about inverters. There are a few varieties like square wave, modified sine wave and true sine wave. Most cheap ones are going to be square wave or modified sine wave. These may cause problems operating certain sensitive electronic devices. However, with the laptop, if your laptop adapter is converting the current back to DC that should cancel it out and not create a problem. At least that's what I've found.

Running a laptop occasionally from a solar-charged car battery is one thing. Running a refrigerator is a much bigger undertaking. My fridge says it's rated 6.5 amps, so at 120 volts that would be 780 watts. But I might need that 1500 watt inverter after all because refrigerators generally use a higher number of amps than their continuous amp rating when they first start up, and this might not be thoroughly labeled. There was discussion earlier in the thread about more efficient refrigerators.

12 volt lead acid batteries are often but not always rated in amp-hours, but this rating is not necessarily precise. For instance, an 11 amp-hour 12v battery should power a device using 1 amp at 12 volts for 11 hours. If you powered a device that used 11 amps then it would only last for one hour. But in practice, the more amps used, the quicker the battery tends to drain even taking into account amp-hours. You're likely to get more total amp-hours out of a battery with low-powered devices. The amp-hours are with a constant 12 volts implied; if you're running an AC device with an inverter you'd need to convert to watts and back, or find watt-hours by multiplying amp-hours by 12.

Solar panels are going to be rated in watts, and generally speaking, the more watts the quicker the battery will charge. Also the voltage needs to match, either 12 volts for a single battery or batteries wired in parallel or multiples of 12 for batteries wired in series. If you put together a high enough wattage system you're also going to need a charge controller to keep from overcharging your batteries if you leave them connected all the time. I've looked into this but I'm not at that point yet. For me, a 5-watt panel rotated between a few different batteries occasionally means I'll have some emergency power when things go south and I'll be able to replenish it eventually (assuming no thick comet dust or EMP) but it's not going to do much good for keeping my meat cold with my current setup.

So bottom line, yes, it's not too hard to put together what you'd need to be able to maintain a laptop for a while without grid power. Probably you're better off printing out as much as you can beforehand, as you'd also have to take into account all the power requirements of the printer to do it afterward. The refrigerator however is going to be a much bigger undertaking. In many households it's the single most power-consuming appliance. You might be able to run a high-wattage inverter off of a running car and get fuel for it but to have a completely self-sufficient setup you'd need to make a pretty big commitment time and money wise to do it yourself or just hire professionals to do it.

Also, I agree with what Corvinus wrote above. If you're in an urban environment you're likely to have more pressing concerns in order to keep yourself, your loved ones and your belongings safe. But if you think the info on your laptop could make the difference in such a scenario, car jump starters like this:
810B3UeRxHS._SX522_.jpg
are like a fancy portable case for a lead acid battery and often come with built-in inverters. You could trickle-charge one with a small solar panel. Maybe worth putting on the list for a bug out bag.

Healt related things. Teeth, eyes, ears problems in general.

Should be a priority.
That's one of the things we should invest on i could think of.

Corvinus said:
From what I understand you are I assume living in a city or town because you mentioned apartment. I would not concentrate so much in your place in getting some generator or having cameras, laptop but like they say GTFOOT because in urban enviroment those who survive are those who are constantly on the move out of the city. If you plan to stick to one place in urban enviroment it is only a matter of time until you are found after a while and do not see what is the purpose of your cameras. You will know when they are coming and then what? Only maybe if you have emergency exist through window or something but if they have two neurons they will be waiting there also. So counting on some laptops and bateries in a long run is not very advisable being in urban enviroment, better to have all on paper, and in such situations hardly you ll have time or will you come back to find buried laptop.

Sorry my bad I did not explain properly that I currently choose to live in an urban area for economic reasons, ease of access to things plus my b/f's job is here. I do have property and land in and around a village 22kms away. So that is what i was talking about. Though having prep stuff in both places cannot be a bad idea. We already have solar panels and a well (though i see there are steps afoot to prevent you using your own water or aquifers, even run-off rain water!).

Cameras came to mind because I have them anyway and downstairs people who have just moved in have been tampering with the badge on a daily basis. I have been old to park there by the rest of the residents but after 5 years these people are not happy about this as it is by their main door. There is not much alternative - especially when people have visitors.

Meta-agnostic - Thank you so much for this info. I will put some emergency measures together. I don't have the funds to print so much paper nor the storage as I already have so many books here.

I do have some cigarette lighter mobile phone chargers too. The thing is I doubt whether we would have access to petrol plus using the car battery would necessitate driving the car to recharge the battery otherwise it would go flat pretty quickly. Thus I was thinking of a solar or similar version.

happyliza said:
Meta-agnostic - Thank you so much for this info. I will put some emergency measures together. I don't have the funds to print so much paper nor the storage as I already have so many books here.

I do have some cigarette lighter mobile phone chargers too. The thing is I doubt whether we would have access to petrol plus using the car battery would necessitate driving the car to recharge the battery otherwise it would go flat pretty quickly. Thus I was thinking of a solar or similar version.

It would probably be a good idea to prioritize some of the stuff on your computer and print that out, but I can see how printing it all would be too much. Plus, there is always some value in having search functions available.

A good, relatively inexpensive item to add to your accessories is a 12 volt cigarette lighter receptacle that can be easily attached to a battery:
image_16304.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-battery-to-lighter-socket-extension-cord-66407.html
Radio Shack, hardware stores, possibly truck stops might have them. That way if you have to use a battery unattached to a car, you can easily plug in your phone and other chargers. They tend to only be rated up to 15 or 20 amps. That type of socket was not designed well for high current. With inverters, the cutoff is usually between 300-400 watts. 300 will plug into the cigarette lighter and 400 will need to be connected directly to the battery. Another electricity lesson: when using more current you're going to need thicker gauge wire (lower number gauge) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_gauge or you're likely to start a fire. When running on 120 volts AC the equivalent number of watts does not require as thick of a gauge because voltage is higher and amps are lower. High current DC loads require some pretty thick gauge wire.

EDIT: most of those car jump starters with the internal battery will come with a built-in cigarette lighter receptacle.

Regarding laptops, if you have the money, an ultrabook or similar small low-powered laptop may be better. But in the long run I think holding on to these isn't worth it. I would prioritize the basics like smaller devices and your fridge or freezer. A faraday cage buried in the ground sounds like too much trouble, but that's just me. Paper and handwriting seem like they'll make a big return.

If you cannot print all you want, there are services for such like print shops. Usually libraries will let you print things for a small fee. Or maybe you can ask your employer if they would allow personal printing.

One of the limitations of prepping is that it usually remains a theoretical exercise. Spending a few hours (or even a few days) without water and / or electricity sounds like a good way to test in real life how to cope with such situations.

In a similar vein going trekking/camping in ful autonomy helps sorting what is essential from what is not, learning/developing skills (start a fire for example), test some of your existing equipment, etc.

Lindenlea said:
Hi will01 - thanks for these links, it's something I have been thinking about a lot lately, I need to ensure I will have the ability to make some sort of fuel/gas/power (but not a noisy generator - don't want to attract trouble). My thoughts were to have a solar power setup totally off the grid, as I live in an area where there's a lot of alternate lifestyles (Northern NSW) but there will be no guarantee of sun, whereas wood is so abundant here.

I can recommend Nomad solar panels from GoalZero: _http://www.goalzero.com/solar-panels

Pierre said:
One of the limitations of prepping is that it usually remains a theoretical exercise. Spending a few hours (or even a few days) without water and / or electricity sounds like a good way to test in real life how to cope with such situations.

In a similar vein going trekking/camping in ful autonomy helps sorting what is essential from what is not, learning/developing skills (start a fire for example), test some of your existing equipment, etc.

It is indeed very important to practice theoretical skills. I used to go trekking alone in winter forest for 2-3 days: to make fire, to cook some food without electricity and to overnight in the forest in a sleeping bag. In this way you can test your equipment and quickly find out what is missing.

Pierre said:

That would be a good exercise, plenty of observations from it!!, its been like four years that at work place, there is no anymore tap water after midday, we are already used to separate water in buckets for the WC, and washing dishes; at first was disconcerting, nowadays I have been learning to use water more wisely? ... I had experiences also at home using, you learn to get take bath with one bucket of water.

When there is no electricity for days, you learn/observe how boring is living without internet/TV/phone, you can read or do stuff until there is no daylight, I do not like fro example, to read with candles, the letters seem to be jumping, and I do not use battery lamps either Depending where you are -I suppose, but at night, the moon or other houses/street lamps shines enough, like to not bump into something.

mabar said:
Pierre said:

That would be a good exercise, plenty of observations from it!!, its been like four years that at work place, there is no anymore tap water after midday, we are already used to separate water in buckets for the WC, and washing dishes; at first was disconcerting, nowadays I have been learning to use water more wisely? ... I had experiences also at home using, you learn to get take bath with one bucket of water.

Yes. That's a good example. Not only your learn to adapt to those situation (proper skills, equipment and network), you also have the opportunity to develop an adequate psychological attitude and what would have felt frightening / overwhelming beforehand, now feels manageable because you know how to handle it.

Back
Top Bottom