Survival Experiments

Tui

Jedi
Laura quote, Session 14 March 2014:
Ya'll ought not to forget one of the top five threats: epidemic/pandemic. Sometimes when we have FOTCM members here, we play "let's pretend thus and so has happened/is happening, what do we do?" It's an interesting exercise and I think some of the other FOTCM groups do it too.

Yes, I agree that these experiments are important. Twice I have done experiments of 3 weeks each.

1. A few years ago I stopped eating all food and only drank water for three weeks, to test if I can do this in an emergency situation if I ran out of food and the shops are empty. I survived easily in body and mind only drinking water - after about the third day I did not experience hunger until I started breaking my fast. One must be careful breaking a fast like this, however - ease back into solid foods over a couple of days, starting with other, thicker liquids and slowly building up to eating solids again. I broke my fast according to accepted rules, having diluted orange juice on the first day, for instance, then adding other soft food the next day and so on.

2. Then late last year, I switched off the mains and lived without electricity for three weeks. I never cheated as I really wanted to know what it would be like living without electricity - absolutely no electricity for the lights, refrigeration, cooking or hot water, and the electric gate's battery went dead. But I had prepared beforehand, so I got through it easily. Apart from the gate. It blocked me in for a while, while I had to figure out how to manually dislodge the gears of its motor to be able to push the gate open. Now I know.

But I realise some people will have more difficulties with experiments like these, for instance if they are in bad health and if they have children who have not been prepared in a practical way for emergency situations by, for instance, having camped out in the wilds before. All the more reason, then, why you should start experimenting. I would advise to practise living without electricity at home for at least one weekend. Switch it off before dark on a Friday and only have it on again on Sunday evening, just to get a taste of what city life without electricity entails. It will also be a good idea to learn to eat only smaller portions from now on.

Some of the best investments I made during experiment number 2, living without electricity, were:

- A black plastic solar camping shower bag (40 litres) - enough to have a daily warm shower, and to wash the dishes and clothes. (I know we are trying to have only cold showers, but warm water really cleans the hair better.) The water in the black plastic bag placed in the sun for a few hours gets extremely hot, and you will have to cool it by adding cold water before showering or washing your hair or you will burn.

- A gas cooker.

- A few solar garden lights and extra batteries, which made the candles and matches last longer (candles give a much brighter light and I saved them for when I needed brighter light). The solar lights charged in the sun during the day. At night I placed the solar lights at a few strategic places, for instance where there are stairs, and close to windows so that the house would not seem unlived in and invite intruders. I could even read by these very dim lights. I found that when shining one upwards toward the shades of ceiling lamps, it gave the illusion that the ceiling light is switched on. I can imagine in a room where children sleep, this could be of comfort to them.

- Investing in time to experiment with keeping food cool making a little "fridge", and how to make a simple but effective solar oven.

Here is the website where I found the cardboard box solar oven (I did not personally experiment with this stove, as I had the gas cooker, but I keep the method and what is needed to make it handy in case I need to build it, should I run out of gas in an emergency and the shops are out of stock): http://homegrown.org/blog/2008/06/diy-solar-cookers-a-few-projects/

Here is the website for making a clay pot fridge. I was not eating meat at the time, so I cannot vouch for how long fresh meat will keep fresh, but I think meat like bacon should last for quite a few days. I stored fruit, vegetables, milk (in a glass container with lid) and cheese in two of these little fridges. I experimented with moving the pot fridges around, into the sun, out of the sun, where there is a breeze, etc, until I found the best spots: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Pot-in-a-Pot-Refrigerator

I also found that wrapping butter, milk (the milk in a glass jar with lid) and cheese in a wet cloth and placing it on a breezy windowsill, kept these foodstuffs fresh for a few days. You have to keep the cloth wet, though, and keep this "fridge packet" in a breezy place, out of the sun, and out of reach of insects.

Attachments

• solar-cooker.jpg
    solar-cooker.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 460
  • Make-a-Pot-in-a-Pot-Refrigerator-Step-7.jpg
    Make-a-Pot-in-a-Pot-Refrigerator-Step-7.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 432
Ynna said:
Laura quote, Session 14 March 2014:
Ya'll ought not to forget one of the top five threats: epidemic/pandemic. Sometimes when we have FOTCM members here, we play "let's pretend thus and so has happened/is happening, what do we do?" It's an interesting exercise and I think some of the other FOTCM groups do it too.

Yes, I agree that these experiments are important. Twice I have done experiments of 3 weeks each.

1. A few years ago I stopped eating all food and only drank water for three weeks, to test if I can do this in an emergency situation if I ran out of food and the shops are empty. I survived easily in body and mind only drinking water - after about the third day I did not experience hunger until I started breaking my fast. One must be careful breaking a fast like this, however - ease back into solid foods over a couple of days, starting with other, thicker liquids and slowly building up to eating solids again. I broke my fast according to accepted rules, having diluted orange juice on the first day, for instance, then adding other soft food the next day and so on.

2. Then late last year, I switched off the mains and lived without electricity for three weeks. I never cheated as I really wanted to know what it would be like living without electricity - absolutely no electricity for the lights, refrigeration, cooking or hot water, and the electric gate's battery went dead. But I had prepared beforehand, so I got through it easily. Apart from the gate. It blocked me in for a while, while I had to figure out how to manually dislodge the gears of its motor to be able to push the gate open. Now I know.

But I realise some people will have more difficulties with experiments like these, for instance if they are in bad health and if they have children who have not been prepared in a practical way for emergency situations by, for instance, having camped out in the wilds before. All the more reason, then, why you should start experimenting. I would advise to practise living without electricity at home for at least one weekend. Switch it off before dark on a Friday and only have it on again on Sunday evening, just to get a taste of what city life without electricity entails. It will also be a good idea to learn to eat only smaller portions from now on.

Some of the best investments I made during experiment number 2, living without electricity, were:

- A black plastic solar camping shower bag (40 litres) - enough to have a daily warm shower, and to wash the dishes and clothes. (I know we are trying to have only cold showers, but warm water really cleans the hair better.) The water in the black plastic bag placed in the sun for a few hours gets extremely hot, and you will have to cool it by adding cold water before showering or washing your hair or you will burn.

- A gas cooker.

- A few solar garden lights and extra batteries, which made the candles and matches last longer (candles give a much brighter light and I saved them for when I needed brighter light). The solar lights charged in the sun during the day. At night I placed the solar lights at a few strategic places, for instance where there are stairs, and close to windows so that the house would not seem unlived in and invite intruders. I could even read by these very dim lights. I found that when shining one upwards toward the shades of ceiling lamps, it gave the illusion that the ceiling light is switched on. I can imagine in a room where children sleep, this could be of comfort to them.

- Investing in time to experiment with keeping food cool making a little "fridge", and how to make a simple but effective solar oven.

Here is the website where I found the cardboard box solar oven (I did not personally experiment with this stove, as I had the gas cooker, but I keep the method and what is needed to make it handy in case I need to build it, should I run out of gas in an emergency and the shops are out of stock): http://homegrown.org/blog/2008/06/diy-solar-cookers-a-few-projects/

Here is the website for making a clay pot fridge. I was not eating meat at the time, so I cannot vouch for how long fresh meat will keep fresh, but I think meat like bacon should last for quite a few days. I stored fruit, vegetables, milk (in a glass container with lid) and cheese in two of these little fridges. I experimented with moving the pot fridges around, into the sun, out of the sun, where there is a breeze, etc, until I found the best spots: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Pot-in-a-Pot-Refrigerator

I also found that wrapping butter, milk (the milk in a glass jar with lid) and cheese in a wet cloth and placing it on a breezy windowsill, kept these foodstuffs fresh for a few days. You have to keep the cloth wet, though, and keep this "fridge packet" in a breezy place, out of the sun, and out of reach of insects.

Hello Ynna:

all these are great tips in how to survive in an event of any magnitude :perfect:, I for example I have my camping gear, tent,sleeping bag, gas stove, batteries, etc :thup:, also I am fully Keto-adapted, so hopefully we can get out alive of any event....

Best regards. :cool2:

General-known rule number 3 in survival confirms this claim: The average man would die if he is 3 minutes without oxygen, 3 hours at extreme temperatures, three days without water, three weeks without food, and 3 months of free society.
(this last depends about person) :)

Thank you for sharing your advice Ynna, I got to go last year by a difficult situation, a hurricane hit the city in which I live, we were about 2 weeks without electricity in the city, the purified water became scarce, drinking water was distributed in pipes, somewhat chaotic, my family had candles, batteries, a algiber for water certainly was a wake up call for me, was sad and surprised to see, people in the streets, strong sunlight, waiting for the arrival of the water pipes, difficult times lie ahead, their advice is appreciated

Xico said:
all these are great tips in how to survive in an event of any magnitude

This is a difficult subject for me to contemplate. And I think I can safely assume it's on everyone's mind as well. How to achieve a worthwhile survival?

Aside from moving to a whole new location, I've done perhaps as much as I prudently can.

Gas power generator.
Extra fire wood.
Stockpile of food for 3-4 months.
Propane gas grill.
Water filtration with extra filters.
Camping equipment.
Etc.

But the C's said "Do not be fearful! You are armed with much knowledge!" They did not say "Do not be fearful! You are armed with much goods!"

And therein lies the rub.

I've searched and searched, here and elsewhere. And it always comes back to spiritual and psychic preparation. It's in Laura's work ... in spades. It's in Castaneda's writings. I find it in both Taoist and Buddhist cannons.

Here are some interesting specifics:

To gain graduation, C's once mentioned it's done only through "karmic lessons & simple understandings." The key appears to be these simple understandings ... whatever they might be. I have a few guesses.

Upon graduation, we're granted "variable physicality." That means greater (but not total) facility for instant thought materialization, into events & objects. I think the key here is thought, it's intensity and its coherence. But I could be wrong.

Ra said "the dissolution into nothingness ... is the dissolution into unity." And the C's said "one on 4th density perceives objects in terms of their own union with all of them." In other words, unity.

And last but not least, a conduit construction. Alone or in a group. The C's have said "network needed". The Buddhist say "solitary".

It's been both a struggle and a fascination for me these past few months. Feeling the onrush of heightened energy.

My own belief is that a network is immensely more powerful. But circumstances might be forcing me to go the solitary route.

sitting said:
Xico said:

This is a difficult subject for me to contemplate. And I think I can safely assume it's on everyone's mind as well. How to achieve a worthwhile survival?

Aside from moving to a whole new location, I've done perhaps as much as I prudently can.

Gas power generator.
Extra fire wood.
Propane gas grill.
Camping equipment.
Etc.

But the C's said "Do not be fearful! You are armed with much knowledge!" They did not say "Do not be fearful! You are armed with much goods!"

I've searched and searched, here and elsewhere. And it always comes back to spiritual and psychic preparation. It's in Laura's work ... in spades. It's in Castaneda's writings. I find it in both Taoist and Buddhist cannons.

To gain graduation, C's once mentioned it's done only through "karmic lessons & simple understandings." The key appears to be these simple understandings ... whatever they might be. I have a few guesses.

Upon graduation, we're granted "variable physicality." That means greater (but not total) facility for instant thought materialization, into events & objects. I think the key here is thought, it's intensity and its coherence. But I could be wrong.

Ra said "the dissolution into nothingness ... is the dissolution into unity." And the C's said "one on 4th density perceives objects in terms of their own union with all of them." In other words, unity.

And last but not least, a conduit construction. Alone or in a group. The C's have said "network needed". The Buddhist say "solitary".

It's been both a struggle and a fascination for me these past few months. Feeling the onrush of heightened energy.

Hello:

these are great points as well, but as the C's also mentioned about the flood of Noah, he built an arc, which at the end became handy.... my two cents. :cool2:

sitting said:
Xico said:

Gas power generator.
Extra fire wood.
Propane gas grill.
Camping equipment.
Etc.

I agree, I think it is at least as important to prepare one's psyche for hard times ahead as well as make preparations for keeping the physical body alive. I suppose those who love the way things are now will suffer the most. But those who suffer now in this crazy system we live in, (that's getting more and more favorable to the psychopathic and materialistic by the day), may even feel a bit of exhilaration in the prospect of basically camping out long-term.

It's sad that most people think of themselves as so independent and autonomous, when some sort of local, supportive network of some kind would also be of benefit. I'm guilty of that as well, we hardly ever even acknowledge each other in our neighborhood.

It will come as quite the shock to discover that big brother is no longer taking care of us, (never was).

One thing that I would like to bring up that might sound gross, but might be a lifesaver in certain circumstances: Worms make very dense nutrition. I know this sounds gross (and I admit, I haven't tried that yet, although I am planning to do that in a short while). I guess to just fry them quickly in a pan would make them quite "crunchy". And they are almost everywhere ...

That is true for almost all insects - with some notable exceptions: moths and caterpillars come to mind. Some of them are toxic.

I'll report back once I have taken the leap!

Thanks Ynna for sharing really useful survival info, much appreciated.

nicklebleu - fully second the worms and the insect advice - this will be the most abundant source of protein that will be easily and readily available in food scarcity, and is a good bet for survival. Next easiest source of food will be fishing either at sea or fresh water bodies. Hunting is difficult, and traps or snares are better; but will require a lot of effort.

The worms, also reminded me about Bear Grylls's Man vs Wild shows of which im a fan off :)

nicklebleu said:
One thing that I would like to bring up that might sound gross, but might be a lifesaver in certain circumstances: Worms make very dense nutrition. I know this sounds gross (and I admit, I haven't tried that yet, although I am planning to do that in a short while). I guess to just fry them quickly in a pan would make them quite "crunchy". And they are almost everywhere ...

That is true for almost all insects - with some notable exceptions: moths and caterpillars come to mind. Some of them are toxic.

nicklebleu said:

I was thinking about growing some red wigglers. Could be a back up source of protein!

http://unclejimswormfarm.com/

I don't know about eating worms! I'd have to be mighty hungry. I've never been to the far east, but hear they eat grass hoppers and other creepy crawlers. Maybe if someone else cooked it, it'd be easier to swallow?

Good luck, nicklebleu. You are a brave man! ;D Maybe they'd be more palatable if they were mixed up in Pork Rind Ketobread or sauted with onions and mushrooms or something.

Even if you don't have to eat the crawlers, N2F, you'll at least have plenty of fishing bait!

nicklebleu said:

Mealworms are also a viable option. I found a how-to to make a mealworm farm, and it's easily applicable to cultivating worms as well (although you may want to change the matrix to suit the moisture needs of worms):

_http://velacreations.com/howto/mealworm-farm/

Cool story. I'd personally be cautious about fasting for 3 weeks, since prolongued starvation can release cortisol which mines your tissues, organs and bones for nutrients to burn for fuel. Depending on your body fat %, it may not be worth the damage. Just my two cents though.

whitecoast said:
Cool story. I'd personally be cautious about fasting for 3 weeks, since prolongued starvation can release cortisol which mines your tissues, organs and bones for nutrients to burn for fuel. Depending on your body fat %, it may not be worth the damage. Just my two cents though.

That reminds me of that tv show, Survivor. The contestants were severely calorie restricted in most cases - I believe they had a fairly steady diet of white rice, but little fat or protein. The fattest guy ended up being the winner - he was also the best fisherman. But the skinnies were very frail and some of them looked like they'd been in a Nazi Death Camp by the end of the show. (That early episode winner was Richard Hatch, who went to jail for not paying the taxes on his million dollar win)

So I agree with whitecoast, I would be cautious about fasting.

Back
Top Bottom