The Dangers of the White Knight Syndrome

But the rescuer is a victim too. People become rescuers because they have a need to be liked. Saying ‘‘no’’ to someone who has asked a favor is to let that person down and to court dislike. So when a rescuer sees a person in need, he or she will feel obliged to fulfill that person’s request however inconvenient, inappropriate or burdensome the task.

The result, of course, is that rescuers get overloaded with other people’s emotional baggage, which takes up time and drains energy. They become cynical, tired, and apathetic. They lose their idealism and sense of purpose. Worse, they may even unconsciously contaminate the people they try to rescue with their own sense of failure and burnout.

How do you break this co-dependency? Essentially, what’s needed on both sides is a dose of healthy selfishness. The rescuer needs to stop thinking about the needs of others and focus more on their own dreams and aspirations. So if you find yourself being emotionally and physically drained by a professional colleague you feel responsible for perhaps you should take a serious look at why you feel compelled to help that person.

By the same token, if you are a mentee or coachee and you find yourself turning more and more to a mentor or coach whose help seems to be increasingly essential then you might want to ask yourself if the mentor or coach isn’t part of your problem. You should need less mentoring over time, not more.

Tackling the rescuer syndrome does not mean having to give up helping or mentoring other people. The urge to help others is a force for good, so long as it does not involve destructive co-dependency. Constructive mentors and coaches solve their own problems first and recognize that their role is to encourage others to make difficult decisions for themselves.

Laura, thank you very much for this article, like many others, which has made me think about myself and my attitude for a long time at work, mostly.
I was responsible for about forty people in a company, as an intermediate charge, for 9 years, and recognize me physically and mentally overloaded in the role of facilitator, responsible and incombustible boss. Then, I was moved to another job almost exclusively support to other services of the company and employees, for 7 years. This was rewarding but also very demanding for myself. I came to feel very tired, drained and unmotivated and demands ever increasing, sometimes people waiting for I "do their work" in exchange for being "liked".
Now I'm sure everything would have been better and more rewarding if it had been more aware of myself, and emotionally mature and balanced.

Thanks again, I will keep reading the thread and learning and I apologize if my expression in English is not very good.

Edit=Quote

People become rescuers because they have a need to be liked

I also believe that these type of people overestimate themselves/have a superiority complex. Lets say you meet someone and talk with them a few times it has now been a month and you feel they need help need to be rescued...Really??? Who are you to make that judgement how can you see all the levels of their life and know whats best for them. You just met them. Even parents and long time friends don't know whats best for their children or each other. This is not only a need to be liked but an insecurity on the part in the white knight and that comes out unbalanced they become pretentious when they try and spot someone that they feel they need to rescue and they feel they can rescue. This is foolish saying you can rescue someone in and of itself is a problem and thinking in this way is a indication that you have some stuff to work on. Another victim of splitting/black and white thinking

Kniall said:
Understanding and Overcoming the White Knight Syndrome, by Eduard Ezeanu

Even though the white knight asks for nothing in return for the help he offers and he may seem to offer it out of pure kindness or morality, make no mistake about it: he has a personal agenda, which he keeps hidden (often so well even he’s not truly aware of it). He wants something from the women he helps. Sometimes it’s only something emotional such as their approval, other times it’s something more material.

Laura said:
The problem with rescuers is that they tend to build unnecessary, unhealthy, and sometimes inappropriate dependency relationships with the people they want to help. At best you make for a very ineffective helper; at worst, you harm others by attempting to co-opt the people you should be helping, in an attempt to fulfill your own compulsions.

When reading this it related to what I have been thinking while reading Dostoyevsky's novel “The Idiot”
and the relationship between the main character Prince Myshkin and a person he wants to save out of pity, Anastassya,
a woman damaged by the culture and social norms that she lives in, and who rejects his approaches to help her.

This is not the whole story and I am about half way in the novel, but this is the foundation from what I was relating to this thread:

Prince Myshkin is a very honest person and wants to save her out of pity and does not have any ulterior motives for doing so,
he just really want to help her(That’s the impression I get from reading the novel anyway).
Anastassya rejects his offers and runs from both him and another shady character that loves her in a very twisted way,
and seems to only understand “helping” in the form of money, power and social status.

So the dynamic from the point I am seeing it, you have two people who wants to help, but with different motives.
But this pulling and pushing from both sides really destroys Anastassya.

So who is in the wrong? Anastassya for understanding that she needs help, but will not accept it due to her pride.
Or the many approaches form Prince Myshkin trying to help her that in the end pushes her away,
since he cannot give up his feeling sorry for her and the desire to help her, which seems very honest.

The situation is pretty tragic, but maybe the best approach is to back down and instead show that one is willing to help if asked.
Maybe that would give more security to the other person instead of being disempowered by to much “helping”.

I've noticed in myself too an overwhelming desire to be liked by women. It manifests in a frantic desire to identify what she wants and conform to her expectations. It is very draining indeed, and I presume it is the same for the woman as well. I have been working on this myself, trying to control my compulsions to behave in this way, it is difficult because the illusion of myself being liked by the other is very strong and infused with a drug-like emotional high.

My only recourse to fighting off this type of behavior is, I think, to observe those impulses arise and not act on them, giving only when asked, maintaining personal boundaries, and nurturing a healthy sense of self-worth. In practicing these, there might be a chance I could stumble upon a sense of who I really am. It takes time -- the impulses and projections (projections that make a woman seem like she wants my attention -- when she's probably thinking her own thoughts) remain long after being observed, they don't simply melt away! As mentioned earlier they seem to be connected to a lack of emotional education during childhood -- a lack which seems to be projected onto others instead of being worked on in solitude, a knowing network of people, and maybe a good psychiatrist.

I think the idea of conserving ones energy (Castaneda, I think) and making oneself sparse is also connected to this in a way. It would definitely mesh with the strategies I am thinking of using as I outlined above.

A little background though: I went out with this girl from work and she has been very caring and would listen attentively to my banter -- but after that outing she has become the total opposite, reserved and not wanting to engage. It may have been some element of the White Knight that put her off, I find it very hard to control the way I behave with her, I become very emotionally expressive (it feels like a euphoric high), which is very surprising to me. I like her very much, but I wish not to put any more expectations on to her. It's a confusing time and quite a war in my mind, but I have started to become involved in other things which make my life meaningful, meeting new people, etc. which lessens the intensity of the yearning for her. Thanks for the post :)

beetlemaniac said:
I think the idea of conserving ones energy (Castaneda, I think) and making oneself sparse is also connected to this in a way. It would definitely mesh with the strategies I am thinking of using as I outlined above.

A little background though: I went out with this girl from work and she has been very caring and would listen attentively to my banter -- but after that outing she has become the total opposite, reserved and not wanting to engage. It may have been some element of the White Knight that put her off, I find it very hard to control the way I behave with her, I become very emotionally expressive (it feels like a euphoric high), which is very surprising to me. I like her very much, but I wish not to put any more expectations on to her. It's a confusing time and quite a war in my mind, but I have started to become involved in other things which make my life meaningful, meeting new people, etc. which lessens the intensity of the yearning for her. Thanks for the post :)

That you don't pursue her after that experience is a point to your credit, OSIT.

I hope I've not been making a mistake, but to my friends, I usually offer some advice that was once offered to me years ago: just be a natural, friendly you and other people will "screen" themselves as to whether or not they are someone you would want to know or vice versa. :) I think Don Juan would even approve this as conservation of energy.

beetlemaniac said:
My only recourse to fighting off this type of behavior is, I think, to observe those impulses arise and not act on them, giving only when asked, maintaining personal boundaries, and nurturing a healthy sense of self-worth. In practicing these, there might be a chance I could stumble upon a sense of who I really am. It takes time -- the impulses and projections (projections that make a woman seem like she wants my attention -- when she's probably thinking her own thoughts) remain long after being observed, they don't simply melt away! As mentioned earlier they seem to be connected to a lack of emotional education during childhood -- a lack which seems to be projected onto others instead of being worked on in solitude, a knowing network of people, and maybe a good psychiatrist.

It's a confusing time and quite a war in my mind, but I have started to become involved in other things which make my life meaningful, meeting new people, etc. which lessens the intensity of the yearning for her.

Sounds like ya got it!

Buddy already said it, but my first thought on reading your post was this:

I've yet to see the exception to the rule that 'There's somebody for everybody'....... However, if you're being somebody you're not, in order to 'win' somebody over, you're wasting your time, (and theirs), because someday you're going to tire of the energy output it takes to fake it, and simply end up being yourself.

Why not simply be yourself from the beginning, and that way give yourself pretty good odds that the other person is genuinely interested in you, and not some facade you're projecting.

Buddy said:
That you don't pursue her after that experience is a point to your credit, OSIT.

I hope I've not been making a mistake, but to my friends, I usually offer some advice that was once offered to me years ago: just be a natural, friendly you and other people will "screen" themselves as to whether or not they are someone you would want to know or vice versa. :) I think Don Juan would even approve this as conservation of energy.
Hi Buddy, thanks a lot. I'm still feeling torn though, although I've gone through this before with her. Experiences with her and other women has gradually created changes in the way I perceive and treat myself as well as others, regardless of gender. I also adopted a strategy of being that person that I liked so much -- by being attentive with other people the same way she was to me. I read about that in Unholy Hungers.

That is some sound advice, simple, but for narcissitically wounded people, it's the thing they fear most to do when it comes to getting what they want... the grandiosity is the problem -- they need to feel that they are somehow invulnerable in order to court another. In that way they don't feel all the hurts that being their true self would entail. And it hurts a lot just being your wounded self -- especially in specific situations with people that trigger those wounds to reopen.

I get the sense -- from reading books like Women Who Run With the Wolves -- which are of a more emotional character rather than in the analytical psychology vein -- that relationships do progress in cycles, for both parties -- it's a process of finding themselves, where the intensity of the experience shows clearly where ones wounds lie. It's been roughly like that for me. It's knowing when to let something die in order for something new to be born, as told in the story of the Life/Death/Life nature of the Skeleton Woman. But both parties need to learn their lessons, and I am not turning back from mine.

MakeEmTalk said:
Sounds like ya got it!

Buddy already said it, but my first thought on reading your post was this:

I've yet to see the exception to the rule that 'There's somebody for everybody'....... However, if you're being somebody you're not, in order to 'win' somebody over, you're wasting your time, (and theirs), because someday you're going to tire of the energy output it takes to fake it, and simply end up being yourself.

Why not simply be yourself from the beginning, and that way give yourself pretty good odds that the other person is genuinely interested in you, and not some facade you're projecting.
Hi MakeEmTalk, I agree with you, but knowing myself seems to be the crux of the issue. I even told her once that I sometimes don't know myself. But I'm now beginning to see the vampiric nature of my alter-egos -- the energy drain that occurs as you mention -- is pure entropy and lies. I've actually chanced upon very positive experiences where there would be no energy drain and a sense that both parties benefited from the exchange. It seems to be based on luck and ironically, I have a hard time recalling how I behaved during these exchanges.

Laura said:
But the rescuer is a victim too. People become rescuers because they have a need to be liked. Saying ‘‘no’’ to someone who has asked a favor is to let that person down and to court dislike. So when a rescuer sees a person in need, he or she will feel obliged to fulfill that person’s request however inconvenient, inappropriate or burdensome the task.

The result, of course, is that rescuers get overloaded with other people’s emotional baggage, which takes up time and drains energy. They become cynical, tired, and apathetic. They lose their idealism and sense of purpose. Worse, they may even unconsciously contaminate the people they try to rescue with their own sense of failure and burnout.

How do you break this co-dependency? Essentially, what’s needed on both sides is a dose of healthy selfishness. The rescuer needs to stop thinking about the needs of others and focus more on their own dreams and aspirations. So if you find yourself being emotionally and physically drained by a professional colleague you feel responsible for perhaps you should take a serious look at why you feel compelled to help that person.
Very interesting post Laura, thankyou.
This one definitely resonates... It has been the situation in my relationship for a long time, although we have only both started to observe it within the past month or so! My partner is the 'white knight', it seems that the most important thing for her to do is to please other people - often at the detriment of herself! Both of us have been reading the Narcissistically wounded threads and have some of the Big Five psychology books ordered. The real problem with this situation it seems is that while someone like this can go out of their way to please other people, this becomes routine. Which is the situation I am personally faced with, there have been many occasions where my partner has lied to me about the smallest things (and sometimes bigger things as well). When we have spoken honestly about this she has told me it is because at the time she thinks that 'I wont like the truth' and it will not please me to hear it (Determining my needs, what is best for me). So this has affected me, at times I feel extremely insecure because I feel like I have to question every word that is said.

We have spoke about this problem many times now and how it relates to the principles of STS/STO, It is currently co-dependency and is a real struggle to move on from that, I feel drained when I am faced with the situation of having to question everything she says to try and determine whether she is saying it truthfully or whether its because she wants to make me happy... And Im sure she feels just as drained having to try and determine what she thinks will make everyone else happy aswell.

Truly the thing that would make me most happy would be to know that she was being honest with herself. My dominance and anger probably hasn't helped in the time we have been together which has most likely just fuelled her 'wanting to please-ness'.

MakeEmTalk said:

I think this is spot on MakeEmTalk :) As long as we are projecting some aspect of our false personality it is something we will always have to 'live up to' and perhaps never feel good enough in ourself (who ever that is?) I'm sorry I can't really give much input or advice here as it would be an uneducated opinion.

Keyhole said:
This one definitely resonates... It has been the situation in my relationship for a long time, although we have only both started to observe it within the past month or so! My partner is the 'white knight', it seems that the most important thing for her to do is to please other people - often at the detriment of herself! Both of us have been reading the Narcissistically wounded threads and have some of the Big Five psychology books ordered. The real problem with this situation it seems is that while someone like this can go out of their way to please other people, this becomes routine. Which is the situation I am personally faced with, there have been many occasions where my partner has lied to me about the smallest things (and sometimes bigger things as well). When we have spoken honestly about this she has told me it is because at the time she thinks that 'I wont like the truth' and it will not please me to hear it (Determining my needs, what is best for me). So this has affected me, at times I feel extremely insecure because I feel like I have to question every word that is said.

We have spoke about this problem many times now and how it relates to the principles of STS/STO, It is currently co-dependency and is a real struggle to move on from that, I feel drained when I am faced with the situation of having to question everything she says to try and determine whether she is saying it truthfully or whether its because she wants to make me happy... And Im sure she feels just as drained having to try and determine what she thinks will make everyone else happy aswell.

Truly the thing that would make me most happy would be to know that she was being honest with herself. My dominance and anger probably hasn't helped in the time we have been together which has most likely just fuelled her 'wanting to please-ness'.

I suspect that much like I posted earlier in this thread, the dynamic of victim/rescuer was a strong underpinning at the outset of your relationship. Exhibiting "dominance and anger" is not terribly victim-like, so a power struggle has erupted. Much effort will be devoted, (whether by honest/dishonest methods), to restore that dynamic.

What else do the two of you bring to the relationship, (positive), that can be emphasized? That may be the best method to segue into some semblance of a healthy relationship.

If you continue to focus on the victim/rescuer aspect, it'll have a predictable, and poor, outcome. Much like night driving, if you stare at the headlights of an oncoming car, you tend to steer right into it. Same thing if you focus on the negative; You're going to run head-on into it. It's certainly a significant problem to the relationship, but shouldn't be the major focus of your interactions with each other.

Good luck to you both.

I first learned about "Victim Triangle" dynamics (Rescuer/Persecutor/Victim) a few years ago from Lynne Forrest: _http://lynneforrest.com/articles/2008/06/the-faces-of-victim and then codependency via https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codependent_No_More .

Wikipedia said:
Detachment

Beattie's view of codependency starts from the (counter-intuitive) premise that rescuing someone, in the sense of solving their problems for them, is a less benevolent act than it might at first seem. To avoid the destructive aspects of enabling in the guise of helping, she highlighted how "Co-dependents are care-takers - rescuers. They rescue, then they persecute, then they end up victimized".

Beattie's recommended answer was to detach from over-involvement, from a toxic enmeshment in someone else's life, and, without ceasing to care, to strengthen one's own personal boundaries.

"Codependents need boundaries. We need to set limits on what we shall do to and for people".

The relationship has taken many turns, it seems as if the only thing that has kept us together is the Work. We are both starting to assess ourselves and one another, shining light on my mechanical tendencies as well as hers as best as we can. This past week we have not spoke or seen each other much which I think is helping us both detach a little. I have found my 'craving' to see her is starting to diminish and it seems to be developing into more of a learning relationship as opposed to what it was previously. I still have many more books to read on the subject... Its almost as if the relationship to start with was based mostly on false principles so it is certainly going to be a lot of work to strip it down. A work in progress

I've known for some years that I have a very strong rescuer program - but this has given me a whole new perspective. I'm pretty sure this describes me exactly. Incidentally it extends somewhat to all my relationships when I care about someone.

The White Knight Syndrome essentially stems from two erroneous beliefs that all white knights have in common. Deep down, they believe that 1) it is imperative for them to be liked by all women and 2) they are not good enough to be liked by women as they are.

For me it's always been about external validation of my self worth - my right to exist and have needs being something that was somehow the responsibility of others.
I'd burn myself out anticipating other peoples needs (without asking) and then feel empty that they didn't anticipate mine (without communicating or even realising I had any).
Point 2 above also tied into a deep fear that I was somehow fundamentally broken and not worthy of anything let alone being liked by even just one women (a relationship just seemed like something from another universe I didn't inhabit). When I did end up in a relationship I clung on to it with all my strength and poured all the resources I had into it/her.
I would always try harder, and it was some time after hitting burnout/the end of the relationship that the feeling of failure and 'should have tried harder' started to fade enough to be questioned.
This thread seems to be the final full stop to that I hope.

Understanding the difference between self-compassion/self-care and self-esteem/ego has helped a lot. I saw anything that even slightly resembled ego (including healthy boundaries, expressing or even having needs) as something to be avoided at all cost.

_http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-power-self-compassion/201106/why-self-compassion-is-healthier-self-esteem
Why self-compassion is healthier than self-esteem

Why we should stop chasing self-esteem and start developing self-compassion

Published on June 25, 2011 by Kristin Neff, Ph.D. in The Power of Self-Compassion

The great angst of modern life is this: no matter how hard we try, no matter how successful we are, no matter how good a parent, worker, or spouse we are - it's never enough. There is always someone richer, thinner, smarter, or more powerful, someone that makes us feel small in comparison. Failure of any kind, large or small, is unacceptable. The result: therapist's offices, pharmaceutical companies, and the self-help aisles of bookstores are besieged by people who feel they're not okay as they are. What to do?

One response has come in the form of the self-esteem movement. Over the years there have been literally thousands of books and magazine articles promoting self-esteem - how to get it, raise it and keep it. The pursuit of high self-esteem has become a virtual religion, but research indicates this has serious downsides. Our culture has become so competitive we need to feel special and above average to just to feel okay about ourselves (being called "average" is an insult). Most people, therefore, feel compelled to create what psychologists call a "self-enhancement bias" - puffing ourselves up and putting others down so that we can feel superior in comparison. However, this constant need to feel better than our fellow human beings leads to a sense of isolation and separation. And then, once you've gotten high self-esteem, how do you keep it? It's an emotional roller-coaster ride: our sense of self-worth bounces around like a ping-pong ball, rising and falling in lock-step with our latest success or failure.

One of the most insidious consequences of the self-esteem movement over the last couple of decades is the narcissism epidemic. Jean Twenge, author of Generation Me, examined the narcissism levels of over 15,000 U.S. college students between 1987 and 2006. During that 20-year period, narcissism scores went through the roof, with 65 percent of modern-day students scoring higher in narcissism than previous generations. Not coincidentally, students' average self-esteem levels rose by an even greater margin over the same period. Self-esteem has also been linked to aggression, prejudice and anger towards those who threaten our sense of self-worth. For example, some kids build up their egos by beating up other kids in the playground. It's hardly healthy.

Of course we don't want to suffer from low self-esteem either, so what's the alternative? There is another way to feel good about ourselves: self-compassion. Self-compassion involves being kind to ourselves when life goes awry or we notice something about ourselves we don't like, rather than being cold or harshly self-critical. It recognizes that the human condition is imperfect, so that we feel connected to others when we fail or suffer rather than feeling separate or isolated. It also involves mindfulness -- the recognition and non-judgmental acceptance of painful emotions as they arise in the present moment. Rather than suppressing our pain or else making it into an exaggerated personal soap opera, we see ourselves and our situation clearly.

It's important to distinguish self-compassion from self-esteem. Self-esteem refers to the degree to which we evaluate ourselves positively. It represents how much we like or value ourselves, and is often based on comparisons with others. In contrast, self-compassion is not based on positive judgments or evaluations, it is a way of relating to ourselves. People feel self-compassion because they are human beings, not because they are special and above average. It emphasizes interconnection rather than separateness. This means that with self-compassion, you don't have to feel better than others to feel good about yourself. It also offers more emotional stability than self-esteem because it is always there for you - when you're on top of the world and when you fall flat on your face.

Research indicates that self-compassion offers the same benefits as self-esteem (less depression, greater happiness, etc.) without its downsides. In a large survey conducted with over 3000 people from various walks of life, for example, it was found self-compassion was associated with much more stable feelings of self-worth (assessed 12 different times over an 8 month period) than self-esteem. This may be related to the fact that self-compassion was also found to be less contingent on things like physical attractiveness or successful performances than self-esteem. Also, self-esteem had a strong association with narcissism while self-compassion had no association with narcissism.

Another study asked people to recall a previous failure, rejection, or loss that made them feel badly about themselves. One group of participants was asked to think about the event in ways that increased their self-compassion. Another group was asked to think about the situation in ways that protected or bolstered their self-esteem. People who received the self-compassion instruction reported less negative emotions when thinking about the past event than those in the self-esteem condition. Moreover, those in the self-compassion condition took more personal responsibility for the event than those in the self-esteem condition. This suggests that - unlike self-esteem - self-compassion does not lead to blaming others in order to feel good about oneself.

Instead of endlessly chasing self-esteem as if it were the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, therefore, I would argue that we should encourage the development of self-compassion. That way, whether we're on top of the world or at the bottom of the heap, we can embrace ourselves with a sense a kindness, connectedness and emotional balance. We can provide the emotional safety needed to see ourselves clearly and make whatever changes are necessary to address our suffering. We can learn to feel good about ourselves not because we're special and above average, but because we're human beings intrinsically worthy of respect.
[..]

People become rescuers because they have a need to be liked

I did a little reading and wanted to say that I think this is probably a secondary effect/symptom rather than a primary cause of White Knight Syndrome.

_http://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/amy-winehouse-and-white-knight-syndrome/
[..]
I first noticed this in my Women in American Society course nearly 20 years ago. One of the requirements of the class is to do a research paper on the life of a dead American woman whom the student regards as particularly significant. When I first started teaching the course, there were no limits on whom the students could pick as long as the subjects were dead and had lived the bulk of their lives in the United States.

But what I noticed those first few semesters was that the most popular choices read like a Who’s Who of the beautiful, the talented, and the hopelessly self-destructive: Marilyn Monroe, Jayne Mansfield, Janis Joplin, Judy Garland, Billie Holliday and so forth. Far more students seemed interested in writing about those who had lived short and tragic lives than in those who had had longer and happier careers. I was stunned.

Though the majority of my students were women, it was the male students who were especially likely to pick one of these doomed celebrities over a happier, longer-lived historical figure. It wasn’t just laziness either. For every paper on Eleanor Roosevelt, I got two on the suicidal Sylvia Plath, though in the pre-Google age, it was easier to find information on the former at the local library.

What was going on, I realized, was the academic equivalent of White Knight Syndrome. White Knight Syndrome (WKS) is the male heterosexual equivalent of Bad Boy Syndrome, and in my experience, it’s every bit as common – thought much less frequently discussed. “Nice guys” often complain, loudly, that women are attracted to self-destructive, self-obsessed “bad boys” who don’t treat them well. But the masculine corollary gets much less attention, even if it’s at least as common.

Guys with White Knight Syndrome don’t just fall in love with drug-addicted superstars (or self-absorbed and vulnerable femme fatales like Casey Anthony). WKS manifests itself most commonly in the romantic choices these men make, as they choose to pursue (and attempt to rescue) troubled and unhappy young women.

Many men in our culture find themselves drawn to the role of the White Knight. With almost military precision, they seek out young women who are emotionally vulnerable and wounded, frequently with backgrounds of sexual abuse. These rescuers are often eager to protect women whom they imagine are desperately in need of protection. They are outraged at what other men have done (and may still be doing) to the women they love.
White Knights almost always imagine themselves to be different from every other man. While other men (fathers, brothers, exes, strangers) have neglected, betrayed, and taken advantage of “his girl,” the White Knight believes that he is radically different.

In his own mind, the guy with WKS doesn’t want to exploit the troubled young women he pursues (or in the case of celebrity obsessions, admires from afar). He wants to save them. They are his noble cause; loving them (despite their often erratic and self-destructive behavior) helps him to maintain a heroic self-image. Only a very valiant man would put up with what he puts up with! Only a truly rare guy could endure the heartache that he does, all for the sake of saving a young woman whom he imagines is incapable of saving herself.

Guys with WKS have a variety of motivations. Some grew up in families with self-destructive mothers, aunts or sisters whom they were unable to save from addiction. Now that they themselves are adults, White Knights hope that romantic devotion will be the “missing piece” that will turn them from ineffectual, heartbroken bystanders into heroes.

Other White Knights are guys who adopt rescuing as a kind of competition strategy. As one of my students once told me, “I knew I’d never be the best-looking or the most athletic. But I figured I could love harder and stronger than any other man out there.” This becomes less about the rescue of a flesh-and-blood woman and more about proving that the White Knight is “not like the other guys.” Men with WKS like to think of themselves as rare exceptions in a world filled with abusive or emotionally toxic men.

But the biggest emotional payoff of WKS isn’t the fantasy of being the one to rescue the self-destructive damsel. Rather, by devoting single-minded attention to those whom they imagine to be so much worse off than themselves, White Knights get to avoid taking a hard look inwards. Whether it’s focusing on a drunk and addicted pop star or a suicidal girlfriend, rescuers dodge the often painful and challenging inner work that they need to do so badly.

Many men tried to rescue Amy Winehouse from her disease; in the end, they failed. These guys – and the millions of men who imagine they would have done better in their place – need reminding that chemical dependency is often stronger than love. Without losing all compassion for the victims of addictions, White Knights need to stop falling in love with vulnerability and weakness. And they need to start falling in love with strength, stability, and the will to live.

Being liked doesn't fix the 'desperate need to be liked/saved' - which then gets projected outwards as a 'desperate need to save others'.
If at the core of your buried beliefs about yourself you perceive yourself to be fundamentally broken failure/beyond redemption you can be driven to pursue those that truly are beyond saving - each time you fail you are then brought face to face with your fundamental (faulty/unquestioned) self image and the feelings that are tied to that.
So fundamentally it's projection and avoidance (i.e. the best coping strategy you've been able to develop) of your own feelings of being beyond redemption/help - which ties back to self-compassion and learning to help/support/care for yourself.

For me it wasn't about being liked - it was about avoiding the pain of not liking myself, and trying to replace that (projection) with just one person who vaguely liked me.

_http://gettinbetter.com/perfect.html
[..]We're all acquainted with this splitting reflex in Borderlines, but we usually fail to recognize this tendency within ourselves. The Caregiver, fixer/rescuer type who frequently attaches to personality disordered lovers, has virtually split-off all darker feelings, thoughts and personality features from their own emotional repertoire. They've discarded dimensions that even hint at what they had observed, growing up with a weak, impaired or punitive parent. So pitied or reviled was their mother or father for these facets, the developing child feels the need to totally rid him/herself of those traits--which doesn't leave much room for a balanced or multi-dimensional persona to unfold[..]
For the Non-Borderline, projection becomes an especially sticky wicket, when he or she assigns their own discarded facets to the ex-BPD partner or lover. The People Pleaser/rescuer has detached/dissociated from vulnerable/fragile facets and feelings, which are automatically displaced onto the Borderline. I can't count how many men and women I've worked with, who can feel sorry for their Borderline (no matter how mean, pernicious or crazy-making they've been), but they can't muster any compassion for themselves!

When emotions are not allowed to exist within the Non's personality, they're foisted onto the BPD lover. If we won't feel sorry for ourselves, we'll project it onto somebody else. Thus, debilitating guilt prevents us from responding to our intrinsic needs, if we believe our Borderline might have a bad reaction or feeling about it--and time and time again, we're walking on eggshells, and betraying our own feelings, needs and senses.
[..]

Another document on coaching (so I'm starting to think that White Knight Syndrome is probably closely tied to seeing yourself as a Teacher/Coach too, perhaps it's a role you assume as a Rescuer?).
_http://www.insead.edu/facultyresearch/research/doc.cfm?did=46469
Leadership Coaching and Rescuer Syndrome
[..]
The Rescuer Syndrome
People in the helping professions need to be as “normal” as possible. That is, they
should strive to understand and alleviate their own personal difficulties, and any
dysfunctional behavior patterns that could muddy their outlook on life, so they can see
their clients’ disturbances and problems more clearly. If not, helpers may run foul of
their own needs by becoming hopelessly mired in transference and countertransference reactions—acting out the problems of the past in the present (Kets de
Vries, 2006). When this happens, people who are ostensibly helping others deal with
difficulties find themselves having to address issues that are too close to unresolved,
conflictual issues in their own lives. The Rescuer Syndrome manifests itself when
helping turns into a compulsion based on one central, but very flawed conviction:
“The only way to get what I need is to do what other people want.” Thus helpers don’t
help others out of choice; on the contrary, they seem impelled to enter into and
prolong a kind of rescuer-victim relationship.

Many of us have lifelong practice in reflexively attuning to others’ needs. Risk enters
when a conscious, caretaking response transmutes into an over-learned, compulsive
reaction. It is probably fair to say that people suffering from the Rescuer Syndrome
are suffering from an addiction, in the same way as eating, smoking, drug taking,
alcohol, or sex can become addictive. To outsiders, rescuing behavior can resemble
some kind of heroic martyrdom. However, there is an upside to it. A closer look at its
underlying dynamics may reveal that acting in this way gives rescuers an excuse to
avoid dealing with their own problems.

Paradoxically, the more rescuers demonstrate to all and sundry their talent for solving
other people’s problems, the more problems will be presented to them. Although these
requests may make them feel wanted, eventually they become too much of a good
thing. Deep down, rescuers are participating inactivities that they don’t really want to
do any longer, but they fear upsetting others by saying “No.”
A disproportionate need to be liked—to be seen to be helping—is usually related to a
shaky self-image. Rescuers fear that looking after number one will be perceived as
unkind, uncaring, and selfish.
For them, saying “No” is associated with ending a
relationship; “others” will become angry or reject them. {If the rescuer has split off part of themselves, they have already rejected part of themselves. The part that is rejected will scream as loud as it can to be 'heard' and is thus perceived immensely painful and as such should be avoided at all costs. Massive amount of energy is spend holding it at bay, and from it's side shouting to be heard} Their wish to be liked makes
it very hard for rescuers to set limits to others and maintain appropriate boundaries.
There is also a sense of immediacy in the way rescuers like to help people. Although
there are often no instant solutions to the problems that are presented to them,
rescuers often feel inadequate if they don’t provide concrete, even instant advice.
Unfortunately, in their zeal to be helpful, they may create new difficulties, even going
so far as imagining that everyone they encounter has problems. They add to their own
misery with feelings of guilt for not accomplishing the unrealistic goals they tend to
set for others.

In many situations, all that people who ask for help really want is to be listened to—
they do not want to be told what to do. {The rescuer has probably split off the part of themselves that needs to be listened too - so to allow another to be listened to would cause them to face that in themselves - and the pain of that struggle to avoid it} Providing immediate solutions may not be the
best thing to do. Rescuers have forgotten that the purpose of helping is to help others
discover their own course of action.
[..]
Rescuer burnout
With too much helping going on, the helper may be faced with diminishing returns.
The emotional labor associated with helping drains energy (Edelwich and Brodsky,
1980; Lakin Phillips, 1983; Hale, 1997; Thompson, 1998; O’Halloran and Linton,
2000; Miller, 2001). It results in a progressive loss of idealism and purpose. Coaches
who find themselves in this position become cynical, tired, and apathetic. Their
positive outlook and work effort are compromised. Worse, they may unconsciously
contaminate their coachees with their own sense of failure and burnout.

Rescuers feel that, at all costs, they need to suppress or reframe their own negative
qualities, such as anger, selfishness, greed, rivalry, envy, spite, and vindictiveness.

The exertion this requires is extremely tiring. While they may display a positive
exterior, under the surface there will be a lot of resentment about the show they have
to maintain. And their exhaustion is compounded by the negation of their own needs
and their unwillingness to take time out to revitalize their own energy.

Rescuers’ frustration and disillusionment are increased by their feeling that they don’t
receive the gratitude they deserve. It may cross their mind that the people they are
trying to help don’t really appreciate what they are offering, or worse, don’t seem to
want to be helped. Eventually a point is reached where rescuers fear they are no
longer doing anyone any good.
Other indicators of rescuer burnout are feelings of guilt and self-hatred associated
with less interest in rescuing people. Rescuer withdrawal is symptomatic of this state
of mind. There can also be an increase in “projection”—rescuers start blaming the
people they are supposed to help for various misdoings.

Eventually, rescuers (having become increasingly desperate) may reach the point
where they terminate the rescue missions that are stalling. They may even deny and
conceal the problems of their troubled client in an effort to find a way out. While this
is going on, anxiety, emotional detachment, or depression are common. Substance
abuse is not unusual. The chronic stress they are exposed to manifests itself in
physical problems, including high blood pressure, diabetes, back age, digestive
disorders, and a compromised immune system (Payne and Firth-Cozens, 1987; Heim,
1991; Ramirez et al., 1996). These physical stresses may even reduce the life
expectancy of rescuers.
Apart from these psychological and physiological problems, people suffering from the
Rescuer Syndrome may also lose a sense of boundaries. By acting out some of their
own fantasies with the people they are supposed to help, they may find themselves
into other kinds of trouble. In any form of therapeutic situation—including
coaching—there is always the temptation to engage in unethical behavior. Sexual
transgression is a major hazard. People in the helping professions should never forget
that, as helpers, they wield extraordinary emotional powers.
[..]

Jasmine said:
kind of inner feeling of self-value.[/b]

It's heartbreaking to think of the treacherous things that children experience in childhood. I've always been under the mind-set that when teens or adults finally leave home, they should take from their childhood what was valuable and leave the rest behind. And from that point on work on themselves to develop to be the kind of person they wish to be. Fully taking responsibility for themselves as adults and making all the decisions for education and otherwise that will benefit their goals as adults. Unfortunately it's easier said than done. Sometimes the scars are so deep it leaves them helpless, or like you said, they fail to establish proper self worth which would be the foundation or motivation for making beneficial changes in their selves. As you said, these programs can take affect rather early in childhood. All are lessons, but the abuses against children are truly heartbreaking!

Is it true that we choose our parents for the lessons we need in this lifetime. Or to match our karma with this lifetime of lessons to be learned?

I think, Karma is the accumulation of traumatic experiences / information (from various incarnations) but that have not been processed satisfactory in the course.
Robert A. Monroe describes that souls rapidly lose their clear thinking and addicted to other reincarnations.
This is probably only a partial truth? Because he does not mentioned directly in his book ("Der zweite Körper") the destructive influence of STS-density beings from other planes. Only the usual things such as amnesia and that the energy produced by the dramas of life (struggle, joy, death, birth, the spiritual awakening, etc.) as food is for a population that is not mentioned in this book by name. Latter has him seemingly deeply depressed for some time.
I just digress from ^. ^
Mental illness is pre-programmed and you hurt yourself, your children and of course strangers. The trauma-loop can probably be broken only by brave ones, who overcome their pain and grow spiritually. There are apparently not many of them.
See also:
Attachment parenting & natural birth
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,32319.0.html

Back
Top Bottom