The infrabed

RedFox said:
That's a lovely bit of engineering! :wizard: I'm glad to hear it's working too.
I'll be trying out some NIR spotlights I think.

Laura said:
I used for the third time today only this time, I did 15 minutes on my stomach and 15 on my back. My theory is that there's an energy drop due to the distance (even though it is small) of the top panel from the body. So, I want max penetration by being directly on those puppies.

Someone mentioned modifying a FIR blanlet (which wouldn't work) - but I did wonder if you could build a NIR blanket given the LED strips are flexible?
The lifespan of the device would probably be reduced due to flexing, and despite the low voltage safety would need to be considered (over heating of LED's? potential short circuits/electrocution? earthing? internal condensation?).
It would be quicker to build than a table though, and I did find a tutorial for building a flexible LED lighting panel that could be used as a base to make a NIR blanket.
I think a clear flexible sheet over the LED's would be best so it could be wipeable for hygiene too.
So fwiw:

https://youtu.be/qlMtakaa7u8

I think it's a good idea. I would not worry about heat: our bed barely heats up even after a 15 mn session. Most of the energy consumed by the LEDs is restituted as IR radiation that are not captured by the plexiglass. If efficiency is 80% and a panel consumes 100W, you end up with 20W in resistance heat for a total surface of roughly 1.2 square meter (13 sq ft) that is 1.7 milliwatts per square centimeters.

Thanks for sharing and that is a great construction! And great to hear that it is helping you Pierre and Laura!

Pierre said:
RedFox said:
That's a lovely bit of engineering! :wizard: I'm glad to hear it's working too.
I'll be trying out some NIR spotlights I think.

Laura said:
I used for the third time today only this time, I did 15 minutes on my stomach and 15 on my back. My theory is that there's an energy drop due to the distance (even though it is small) of the top panel from the body. So, I want max penetration by being directly on those puppies.

Someone mentioned modifying a FIR blanlet (which wouldn't work) - but I did wonder if you could build a NIR blanket given the LED strips are flexible?
The lifespan of the device would probably be reduced due to flexing, and despite the low voltage safety would need to be considered (over heating of LED's? potential short circuits/electrocution? earthing? internal condensation?).
It would be quicker to build than a table though, and I did find a tutorial for building a flexible LED lighting panel that could be used as a base to make a NIR blanket.
I think a clear flexible sheet over the LED's would be best so it could be wipeable for hygiene too.
So fwiw:

https://youtu.be/qlMtakaa7u8

I think it's a good idea. I would not worry about heat: our bed barely heats up even after a 15 mn session. Most of the energy consumed by the LEDs is restituted as IR radiation that are not captured by the plexiglass. If efficiency is 80% and a panel consumes 100W, you end up with 20W in resistance heat for a total surface of roughly 1.2 square meter (13 sq ft) that is 1.7 milliwatts per square centimeters.

Since we are dealing with electricity here, the safer method is probably a hard construction that doesn't run that high of a the risk for someone getting electro shocked. The hard construction that was done above, with the infra woodbed is much safer in that regard. The idea of a flexible construction above, nonetheless sounds quite interesting and would probably be a lot cheaper to construct. If you want to lay down on such a flexible panel you really have to be very careful though, to build it as safely as possible. Not only the flexibility could be a risk here, but also the weight of laying down on such a construction. While the heat is no problem, as Pierre explained, getting an electro shock is. So unless one is very sure of what one is doing and how to insulate electric stuff, I would be rather cautious with this flexible idea. Since the light has to hit the body as directly as possible and near as possible, it means above the LED lights, at most, a thin translucent flexible sheet needs to be spread, that is both as imperishable as possible as well as insulating.

I think it should be possible to build something like that rather safely, but only with a lot of care and using the right materials. How long the lifetime of such a device would be, is another question in itself. My guess is not that long. The first priority in such a device is to reduce the risk of getting electro zapped, which is rather hard (if not impossible) for the use that it is proposed, of laying directly down on it with your weight.

But there is another solution, that should solve most of those problems above, you build it not as something where you lay down with your weight. You build it just as your light source, and not something to lay down with your weight, so then you don't even need a translucent flexible sheet above the LEDs (more light for the body). Then you build a translucent "mattress" where you can lay down and under which you put that flexible LED panel. That "mattress" could be build in a number of ways. The Flexi-panel should be as close to the body as possible in the end and the mattress between the body and the flexi-panel as translucent and stable as possible. A Plexiglas wood construction, could do the job. For the construction above the body, a plexiglas alone should be enough to separate the body from the flexi panel.

So in the end you would need;

- two flexi infra-panels.
- 1 translucent and stable "mattress" construction (for one flexi infra-panel under the body).
- 1 simple translucent construction that has not to be stable out of plexiglas (for the second flexi infra-panel above the body).

Or just one big flexi infra-panel that is rolled around the whole Construction (body) like a cocoon (more light power, also on the sides!):

- One long/big flexi infra-panel.
- 1 translucent and stable "mattress" construction (for the flexi infra-panel under the body).
- 1 simple translucent construction that has not to be stable out of plexiglas (for the flexi infra-panel above the body).

Conclusion:

If you use a flexi panel like that, you have almost the same amount of construction work (not that much as with the fixed construction though) and the only benefit is that you can put away the flexi panel (which can also be a minus compared to the fixed construction, because the panel will not hold that long, because it is flexible and you bend it everytime).

So thinking it through, you might as well just build the fixed and stable thing, mentioned above. Not much difference in the end. If you want to transport the light panel, the flexi panel is certainly a slight plus. But at the new place you still have to set up the construction around the flexi panel again.

The infrabed is a crafty piece of work. :) And I would really like to try it. But being way out of budget and space I think I would go for a infrablanket. You don't need all the extra bedmaking if you just put it on top of yourself on the sofa or bed and it would take so much strain if you don't flex it around so much. Maybe make it in to a tunnel if you make a big enough blanket. OSIT

Aquilla said:
The infrabed is a crafty piece of work. :) And I would really like to try it. But being way out of budget and space I think I would go for a infrablanket. You don't need all the extra bedmaking if you just put it on top of yourself on the sofa or bed and it would take so much strain if you don't flex it around so much. Maybe make it in to a tunnel if you make a big enough blanket. OSIT

The blanket, mounted on a tunnel like frame, that goes over a person, is a pretty decent idea I think. You can always lay on your back or front to expose different parts to it.

But the simplest and cheapest is still the Near IR spots for night vision cameras.

Wow, very great device you made here ! I hope Laura and Pierre will find fast and easy healing with it.

There's lots of informations in this article, taken from the first article in the photobiomodulation thread : _http://heelspurs.com/led.html

I thought one can minimize the bed in restricting some components by making one led table and removing the timer ?

If one have money there's this commercial bed for 700€ with seemingly good wavelenght : _https://redlightman.com/product/combo-bodylight/

Ya know, at the end of the third day of using this thing, my energy is so much improved it really is PHENOMENAL!!! Ever since the stem cell therapy I have been SOOOO tired that I actually would fall asleep sitting up trying to read just a couple hours after getting up from a full night of sleep. The only other time in my life that I would fall asleep sitting in a chair was when I was pregnant and I know my body was really working hard then, so I figured the same about the stem cells. I haven't felt tired this whole day. No falling asleep. Able to read without my brain going blank. Able to get up and down and do little things (trying to be easy on the legs at the same time).

I'm just really, really, REALLY impressed.

Nico said:
Wow, very great device you made here ! I hope Laura and Pierre will find fast and easy healing with it.

There's lots of informations in this article, taken from the first article in the photobiomodulation thread : _http://heelspurs.com/led.html

I thought one can minimize the bed in restricting some components by making one led table and removing the timer ?

If one have money there's this commercial bed for 700€ with seemingly good wavelenght : _https://redlightman.com/product/combo-bodylight/

Rather small for a "bed": Dimensions – 115 x 17 x 7 cm And thus, rather pricey for the size.

Laura said:
Ya know, at the end of the third day of using this thing, my energy is so much improved it really is PHENOMENAL!!! Ever since the stem cell therapy I have been SOOOO tired that I actually would fall asleep sitting up trying to read just a couple hours after getting up from a full night of sleep. The only other time in my life that I would fall asleep sitting in a chair was when I was pregnant and I know my body was really working hard then, so I figured the same about the stem cells. I haven't felt tired this whole day. No falling asleep. Able to read without my brain going blank. Able to get up and down and do little things (trying to be easy on the legs at the same time).

This is very exciting to hear! Thank you for the update on your infrabed progress. Yay!!

You know, it never ceases to amaze me that you've taken on all these physical maladies this lifetime around to Learn about them (ugh!) and now you're teaching the rest of us how to help ourselves...AGAIN!

I thank you for all you've suffered through, and taught us about, via these 'experiments' over the last decades. Big, giant hugs to you! :hug2:

Laura said:
Aquilla said:

The blanket, mounted on a tunnel like frame, that goes over a person, is a pretty decent idea I think. You can always lay on your back or front to expose different parts to it.

But the simplest and cheapest is still the Near IR spots for night vision cameras.

Yes, it would be so.

But I could see some issues with placing the lamp in different positions close to the body. Wouldn't it be easier with a infrablanket, or what my starting point would be, a roll of 300LED making an infratowel. In that case you could just lay it over the part you would want to illuminate getting the IR closer and stronger. Some kind of steelwire could make up a reenforcement of the frame used fx for shaping a tunnel over your head.

As long as you are confident in following the instructions in the video posted by RedFox, that is.

Laura said:

I'm very happy for you and your progress Laura. :hug:

Laura said:
I think the bottom line that everybody should remember is that you can get a relatively inexpensive Near IR spotlight that is used to illuminate for night cameras, and try it out yourself. I wanted the InfraBed because of the stem-cell therapy and the general all-over debilitation I've experienced. However, I've been re-reading more in the photobiomodulation thread and checking the web and reading, and it seems that the light used on some parts of the body can affect the whole body beneficially. Those who are able to build the bed will find it very convenient for serious, systemic conditions. And, apparently, after a series of treatments you don't have to use it so often.

So if many conditions, including cancer, are "energy deficiency" diseases, this might be a very useful item in the toolkit.

You can also get decent IR lights at big-box pet stores, the IR lights in which reptiles use for artificial sunbathing. I recently got a 150 W infra-red lightbulb for my room. It keeps everything in a nice red, warm glow for the night. I can also switch the light to a lamp and move it around my body to places it needs to be as well. :D

Laura said:

Can you comment on your vision after these sessions? How is your vision, same blurry, tired eyes harder to focus on small letters/displays, etc.. Anything changes after the Infrabed?

I think I won't use any eye-blinders so the near IR can penetrate to the inside of my eyes. Should be regenerative on the eyes too:

near infra-red treatment soon after injury also causes the cells to heal well is an important step towards developing a practical therapy for people who are losing their sight either from injury or slow-onset conditions.

The technique could potentially be used to treat a wide range of forms of vision loss, including dry AMD, retinitis pigmentosa, inflammation of the retina and some diseases of the optic nerve, the researchers say.
_http://www.sciencealert.com/near-infrared-light-heals-eyes

whitecoast said:
You can also get decent IR lights at big-box pet stores, the IR lights in which reptiles use for artificial sunbathing. I recently got a 150 W infra-red lightbulb for my room. It keeps everything in a nice red, warm glow for the night. I can also switch the light to a lamp and move it around my body to places it needs to be as well. :D

What you are describing is not NEAR infrared which, as has been described several times above, is invisible and there is NO HEAT. That is not to say that the heat producing red lights have no value, it just isn't what this thread is about.

Laura said:
whitecoast said:

What you are describing is not NEAR infrared which, as has been described several times above, is invisible and there is NO HEAT. That is not to say that the heat producing red lights have no value, it just isn't what this thread is about.

The two problems I can see with red light compared to NIR is that they have a lower absorption rate (probably because they don't provide the optimal frequency to excite cytochrome oxydase) and they don't go deep in the tissue because their frequency is lower than NIR (about 600 nm vs. 800 nm)

Back
Top Bottom