The infrabed

Found a possible solution for a fast and easy construction plus a full body exposure to the light, combined with the flexible panel idea.
One can order large transparent acrylic tubes here:

https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?IndexArea=product_en&SearchText=large_diameter_acrylic_tube&atm=&viewtype=G&f0=y&moqf=MOQF&moqt=MOQT

Of particular interest would be this one (or something similar):

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/large-acrylic-tube_1195444038.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.241.331b36dbzCZgHV

The above tubes (last link) are made out of PMMA, which has a better light penetrability then glas:

PMMA is currently the best polymer transparent material, the transmittance achieves 93%, is higher than the glass penetrability

You can order tubes there with a wall thickness above 2mm (the lower the better, for the light to come through) and an outer diameter from 10-800mm (which should be enough, even for bigger persons). The length can be customized to any length.

If you order a 2 Meter piece with a wall thickness of 2mm and a diameter of 600mm; You would only need to construct a stable stand for it at each end (and maybe one in the middle of the tube) so that it is slightly lifted above the ground.

Then you construct a large enough flex infra-panel and just rap it around the tube! Construction finished. This is only a solution for people who can crawl into such a tube of course. A solution to make it, also for people who can't do that, would be possible as well. Maybe there are also tubes like the above, one can open and close in the middle? Or you could try to that with such a tube yourself. Cut the tube in half, connect the two halfs with hinges, to open and close it, lay down on one half, close the other half on top of you, with the flexi panel already fixed on to it, and you are ready.

The other question would be how think the wall of the PMMA would have to be so that it doesn't break down from the body weight? Maybe there is mathematical formula to calculate that? I'll try to find one and will report back.

The only question

That's an interesting idea!

Maybe a solution, if your ceiling is high enough is to use the pipe vertically, with strings attached to the top end. Those strings would go through pulleys fastened to the ceiling. To go in, the pipe is in 'up' position, next to the ceiling. Once you're under the pipe, you just lift it down. This way you don't risk to crack the pipe and you don't have to crawl but you have to stand up for 15 minutes.

If the ceiling is not so high you have to squat under the pipe then stand up in the pipe then lift down the pipe.

Umm, ya'll better look at the price on that acrylic tube... to get a piece big enough for a person to fit inside would probably cost $800. Then you have to add the cost of the light strips and all the material to connect and control. Looks like a pretty expensive idea to me.

Pierre said:

Maybe a solution, if your ceiling is high enough is to use the pipe vertically, with strings attached to the top end. Those strings would go through pulleys fastened to the ceiling. To go in, the pipe is in 'up' position, next to the ceiling. Once you're under the pipe, you just lift it down. This way you don't risk to crack the pipe and you don't have to crawl but you have to stand up for 15 minutes.

If the ceiling is not so high you have to squat under the pipe then stand up in the pipe then lift down the pipe.

Yes! :halo: You don't have to lay in it, you can just stand in it when it is vertical. It removes almost all stability and safety problems. A rather simple idea, which I haven't thought about. :whistle:

Laura said:
Umm, ya'll better look at the price on that acrylic tube... to get a piece big enough for a person to fit inside would probably cost $800. Then you have to add the cost of the light strips and all the material to connect and control. Looks like a pretty expensive idea to me.

I'm sure there must be a cheaper solutions out there. I was just a randomly searching to find such tubes, while not looking into the price issues yet. I'll try if I can find something cheaper in that department.

Pashalis said:
Laura said:

I'm sure there must be a cheaper solutions out there. I was just a randomly searching to find such tubes, while not looking into the price issues yet. I'll try if I can find something cheaper in that department.

Not very helpful to members who are looking for a reasonable solution.

One could also just remove the tube plexiglas idea as a whole and just cunstruct a cheap tube like frame, in two halfs, vertically, into which you attach the infra-panels inside. No glas between LEDs and body needed in that way.

The cheapeast and most easiest is still a small device for certain areas though.

very interesting subject, I found this site that i think might be a good supplier

http://www.ledlightsworld.com/ir-infrared-led-strips-c-1_79.html

They have strips from 4,8- 28,8 w per meter. And I think also most accessories one might need.

What caught my attention was the strips from 4,8-14,4 w per meter; they are available as waterproof IP68, which means they are put in a u shaped silicone tube and injected with silicone afterwards to make them sort of solid.

My thought is that these may be solid enough to lay on directly. If this is the case one might only need a surface to attach the leds and the electrical components. that is if your are willing to turn around and dont need the top part of the "bed".

My present two cents..

I try to attach a picture of the different waterproofings

Attachments

• ip 68 pl.jpg
    ip 68 pl.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 277
Pashalis said:
Laura said:

I think you're on to something with the acrylic tube. You wouldn't need to get a really big one to fit someone inside either. You could instead use an array of narrow tubes (say 1cm diameter and put the led strips inside. Then have the ends supported in a piece of wood shaped like a curve. All the wiring can be kept at the end and put on under the frame. Basically like a UV bed but instead of flourescent tubes you'd be using the tubes with the LEDs stuffed inside them. And you wouldn't have to do both top and bottom. Prob could make just a top frame if you are looking to save money.

Pierre said:

Or maybe one could even just hang the LEDs off a hula hoop or something round, and just step in! Like a doorway streamer but round so you are enclosed when inside. ;)

fabric said:
Or maybe one could even just hang the LEDs off a hula hoop or something round, and just step in! Like a doorway streamer but round so you are enclosed when inside. ;)

This sounds smart. Maybe have another hoop on the bottom to keep the strips straight and pointed in the right direction.

fabric said:

That is a pretty good idea! You could even put another adjustable ring beneath the fixed one so that you can pull the strips close to yourself (adjust the diameter of the "curtain" from inside). Would also make it adjustable to any size of a person. To make the strips point in the right direction you just have to drill two holes at the end of each strip (in the right direction) and put one stable string through both holes and attach it to the first ring on top.

Pashalis said:
fabric said:

That is a pretty good idea! You could even put another adjustable ring beneath the fixed one so that you can pull the strips close to yourself (adjust the diameter of the "curtain" from inside). Would also make it adjustable to any size of a person. To make the strips point in the right direction you just have to drill two holes at the end of each strip (in the right direction) and put one stable string through both holes and attach it to the first ring on top.

But spending 15 to 30 minutes inside would NOT be comfortable. And in general, the device is most needed by those who are debilitated.

And if you aren't debilitated, you don't need that kind of coverage; a spotlight will do.

Pierre said:
Arwenn said:
I would be very interested to see what the results are with regards to your migraines. How often do you get them and do you get any prodromal symptoms (flashing lights, visual phenomena etc)?

It started years ago but it got more frequent over the past few years. Now, it happens about once a week. It starts with a 2-3 days build-up phase when neck tensions keep increasing, then the migraine crisis occurs and lasts 1-3 days. Naproxen (1 to 3 pills a day) works most of the times and alleviates 50 to 90% the pain. Then I'm migraine free for a few days and the cycle starts again.

It is not really an ophthalmic migraine but more likely a cluster migraine. The pain is mostly located in varying regions of the temporal and prefrontal area. It is throbbing with heart beats.

Usually there is not prodrome, only a high sensitivity to light coupled to a sensitivity to any noise or movements, especially bending, lying down or standing up.

Aggravating factors are stress, fatigue, efforts, heat and smoking (nicotine is a vasoconstrictor). Any external stimulus becomes a source of irritation. So I cope by living in "slow motion": avoiding any extra effort and heat, moving slower, speaking less, staying in quiet environment, reducing smoking.

During acute crisis, my thinking is foggy, nausea appears and speech is a bit slurry.

How often would you use the bed and for how long?

I'm gonna do one 15-minute session a day for several months. I really hope it will fix the problem. :wizard:

Fingers crossed!

Thanks for explaining. Wow, I didn't know that you were so hampered by pain and despite of that you do all these renovation projects and write articles and research!

Certainly hope this infrabed is going to help you and everybody else there.

Back
Top Bottom