The infrabed

If it is all about the wave length and reasonable output maybe this one can be used if you have a local problem, a knee or something. But I'd rather have the NIR bed...

They claim it is 850 nm.

https://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR200-Outdoor-Illuminator-Position-Adjustment/dp/B004V9Z7ZY/ref=pd_sbs_421_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004V9Z7ZY&pd_rd_r=XCH5QCA4KWZP0NZ0RR1T&pd_rd_w=R95IX&pd_rd_wg=CsqDd&psc=1&refRID=XCH5QCA4KWZP0NZ0RR1T

Yozilla said:
... just a little a kind of remark - maybe some nice soft mattress would be a plus :grad:

hehe hehe

:-[

Then you might as well just go to bed. Any kind of thing that blocks the light cannot be used.

worldbridger said:
If it is all about the wave length and reasonable output maybe this one can be used if you have a local problem, a knee or something. But I'd rather have the NIR bed...

They claim it is 850 nm.

https://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR200-Outdoor-Illuminator-Position-Adjustment/dp/B004V9Z7ZY/ref=pd_sbs_421_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004V9Z7ZY&pd_rd_r=XCH5QCA4KWZP0NZ0RR1T&pd_rd_w=R95IX&pd_rd_wg=CsqDd&psc=1&refRID=XCH5QCA4KWZP0NZ0RR1T

Yes, you can use that and direct it at different parts of your body for 15 minutes at a time.

Maybe Pierre can post the exact specifications of the material (and maybe sources) that he used, once the benefits have become more evident? Might be a nice project to do ...

:)

nicklebleu said:
Maybe Pierre can post the exact specifications of the material (and maybe sources) that he used, once the benefits have become more evident? Might be a nice project to do ...

:)

He sorta did that already!!!

Arwenn said:
I would be very interested to see what the results are with regards to your migraines. How often do you get them and do you get any prodromal symptoms (flashing lights, visual phenomena etc)?

It started years ago but it got more frequent over the past few years. Now, it happens about once a week. It starts with a 2-3 days build-up phase when neck tensions keep increasing, then the migraine crisis occurs and lasts 1-3 days. Naproxen (1 to 3 pills a day) works most of the times and alleviates 50 to 90% the pain. Then I'm migraine free for a few days and the cycle starts again.

It is not really an ophthalmic migraine but more likely a cluster migraine. The pain is mostly located in varying regions of the temporal and prefrontal area. It is throbbing with heart beats.

Usually there is not prodrome, only a high sensitivity to light coupled to a sensitivity to any noise or movements, especially bending, lying down or standing up.

Aggravating factors are stress, fatigue, efforts, heat and smoking (nicotine is a vasoconstrictor). Any external stimulus becomes a source of irritation. So I cope by living in "slow motion": avoiding any extra effort and heat, moving slower, speaking less, staying in quiet environment, reducing smoking.

During acute crisis, my thinking is foggy, nausea appears and speech is a bit slurry.

How often would you use the bed and for how long?

I'm gonna do one 15-minute session a day for several months. I really hope it will fix the problem. :wizard:

Fingers crossed!

The exact parts we used on the electrical side were as follows:

AliExpress:

- 9 x 5m Infrared LED strips ($53 x 5)

Conrad.fr:

- Red LED indicator light (2€)
- Muller countdown timer/relay (55€)
- 2 x 12V 12.5A DC power supplies (79€ x 2)
- Box of Wago quick connectors (29€)

The general wiring diagram is like so:

infrabed_electrical.jpg

The LED strips are supposed to be 12V, 2A for 5m. They can be cut every 5cm, and every 5cm includes 3 LEDs and one current-limiting resistor. This means that if one LED dies, in the worst case only 2 other LEDs will die along with it - instead of a whole strip.

Anyway, one 5m strip actually consumes 12V, 1.24A per 5m (not 2A as stated). When you cut the sections shorter to 60cm as we did, each strip uses just under 200mA.

So that means each 60cm strip is ~0.2A, or 1.67A per 5m since there are less losses when the strips are cut shorter (which is good).

For wire, there are two 12V +/- rails consisting of 1.5mm2 solid copper wire. Unless otherwise noted, all the wire was 1.5mm2. Each of those 2 rails is connected to one of the +/- outputs of one 12V power supply. The 12V supplies have 4 wires on the DC output: two +12V, and two 0V/ground. So one 12V AC->DC converter powers the two sections of the top panel, and the other 12V supply powers the two sections of the bottom panel.

The 12V supplies are rated at 12.5A max, but it's a bad idea to drive them hard (too much heat = shorter life). Since it turns out that the strips use less power than claimed (very common), each section consumes:

0.2A per strip x 18 strips per section = 3.6A

Since each 12V supply powers 2 sections, each 12V supply is outputting 7.2A out of 12.5A rated max.

Naturally, this was all measured very carefully! :whistle:

This gives a power consumption of 86.4W per panel, or 172.8W total.

Be aware that if you buy a ready-made infrared LED lamp off Amazon, the power ratings are greatly exaggerated as usual. The 6W infrared spotlights we got earlier each consumed only 3W, and about half of that power is actually being turned into infrared light if you're lucky! So, your "6W" infrared spotlight is only spitting out about 1.5W worth of actual infrared light.

To connect the rails to each individual LED strip, we used wires from inside a PTT-298 phone cable (ADSL-approved!) because the wires inside the phone cable are solid and 0.5mm2, and they are very strong. They won't break if bent. They're also easy to solder to the tiny pads on the LED strips.

Each LED strip was soldered to two 0.5mm2 wires (12V and ground) about 15cm in length. After sticking the 2 wires through the holes, each pair of wires was then soldered to the 1.5mm2 12V rails for that section (each rail was about 80cm in length of stripped wire). That works out to 288 solder joints.

0.5mm2 is oversized for 0.2A of current, and 1.5mm2 wire is oversized for 3.6A of current. But it's what we had on hand, and overkill is usually good. Even with a few meters of wire running from the top panel down to the undersize of the bottom panel where the DC supplies are located on the shelf, the voltage at each strip was a perfect 12.0V.

Note that you CAN buy connectors for the end of LED strips like these, but they are both relatively expensive and clunky. They wouldn't have fit underneath the plexiglass cover. So, there was a lot of wire stripping and soldering done instead.

The 230V timer comes with instructions and is easy to connect. The timer is also a relay that just turns the live wire on/off from the wall socket, and the AC output then powers both 12V supplies and the 230V, 20mA red LED light. Since the infrared LEDs glow VERY dimly red in the visible spectrum, it's hard to tell the thing is on. So the red LED is the Power On Light.

The Wago quick connectors/dominoes are just to make life simpler, since some of the 1.5mm2 wire we used was stranded copper, and some was solid. The cables between the top and bottom panels were stranded so they wouldn't break when opening and closing the top panel repeatedly.

So, yeah. If you want to build your own, you're gonna need some woodworking skills, and some electronic skills, and a lot of patience!

Wow guys a project I can build! Excited!
Do you have to bath your whole body in the light?
Does yellow work better than the others or is the colour irrelevant?
My wife suffers from the same problem, I would like to try a battery powered collar as I have 3s 12v Lipo batteries that will work well for this . Just look up "night fliier" remote control plane kits.
Thank you for this great idea.

Duke said:
Wow guys a project I can build! Excited!
Do you have to bath your whole body in the light?
Does yellow work better than the others or is the colour irrelevant?
My wife suffers from the same problem, I would like to try a battery powered collar as I have 3s 12v Lipo batteries that will work well for this . Just look up "night fliier" remote control plane kits.
Thank you for this great idea.

Read the photobiomodulation thread for information and don't go doing stuff you don't understand. The light needs to be a specific kind/wavelength: NEAR infrared.

Pierre said:
(...) I'm gonna do one 15-minute session a day for several months. I really hope it will fix the problem. :wizard:

Fingers crossed!

Do keep us posted about your progress Pierre and fingers crossed for it to work! :)

The craftsmanship of the infrabed looks top notch: really solid and well made, with thorough attention to detail! :perfect:

Beautifully done, I hope it helps you Pierre and everyone.

Scottie:
Be aware that if you buy a ready-made infrared LED lamp off Amazon, the power ratings are greatly exaggerated as usual. The 6W infrared spotlights we got earlier each consumed only 3W, and about half of that power is actually being turned into infrared light if you're lucky! So, your "6W" infrared spotlight is only spitting out about 1.5W worth of actual infrared light.

Is this the spotlight Dr. Hamblin speaks about in the Mercola interview? https://youtu.be/Pr3kuabexV4
The light he recommended is a combo of far and near infrared. https://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR130-Outdoor-300-400ft-Illuminator/dp/B004F9LF7E/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1487116157&sr=8-13&keywords=infrared+security+light

I'm glad i didn't buy it if thats the case.

Why have the magnets been added? Can you provide a link for more reading, thanks. Maybe on the Photobiomodulation thread somewhere?
https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,44298.0.html

Back
Top Bottom