The Odyssey - Manual of Secret Teachings?

Re: The Odyssey - question for all!

I bought a copy about seven years back, but didn't get around to reading it. I would be very interested in the results of any research though! Good luck with the analysis Laura and team!

I haven't looked at it since high school either - so it's now on the menu!

In Belgium, it isn't part of the curriculum. In fact, I've had it for more than ten years on my bookshelf but never actually read it. I was waiting for something. I think that something came! :)
It's a French translation, though (by Louis Bardollet, just in case French members want to compare).

I think I read it in high school (ages ago) and it's been on the list -but like others have mentioned, it keeps getting moved back.

WhiteBear said:
Just snagged a free Kindle edition
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TOU9C2/ref=docs-os-doi_0

Thanks WhiteBear - I ordered this one you linked to. There is an edition from 2002 - but it received a bad review - see this:

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best adaptation for the Kindle, October 31, 2009
By T. Simons
This review is from: The Odyssey (Kindle Edition)
This is Alexander Pope's verse translation of the Odyssey, first published in 1726, glommed into a kindle edition. It is not formatted for the Kindle and is thus very difficult to read -- instead of stanzas, it's all oddly-broken chunks that vaguely resemble paragraphs, presumably an artifact of whatever software was used to scan the original text. To add to that, it's poetry *by Alexander Pope*, and thus largely in heroic couplets, deliberately archaic even to the ear of Pope's 18th-century contemporaries, with "thou"s

There is also an english prose version here - http://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-Done-English-prose-ebook/dp/B004TPNMSY/ref=sr_1_6?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1307729388&sr=1-6

Maybe this would be better?

Guess this just got moved to the top of the stack!!!

aleana said:
I think I read it in high school (ages ago) and it's been on the list -but like others have mentioned, it keeps getting moved back.

WhiteBear said:
Just snagged a free Kindle edition
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TOU9C2/ref=docs-os-doi_0

Thanks WhiteBear - I ordered this one you linked to. There is an edition from 2002 - but it received a bad review - see this:

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best adaptation for the Kindle, October 31, 2009
By T. Simons
This review is from: The Odyssey (Kindle Edition)
This is Alexander Pope's verse translation of the Odyssey, first published in 1726, glommed into a kindle edition. It is not formatted for the Kindle and is thus very difficult to read -- instead of stanzas, it's all oddly-broken chunks that vaguely resemble paragraphs, presumably an artifact of whatever software was used to scan the original text. To add to that, it's poetry *by Alexander Pope*, and thus largely in heroic couplets, deliberately archaic even to the ear of Pope's 18th-century contemporaries, with "thou"s

There is also an english prose version here - http://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-Done-English-prose-ebook/dp/B004TPNMSY/ref=sr_1_6?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1307729388&sr=1-6

Maybe this would be better?

Guess this just got moved to the top of the stack!!!

Maybe I will just grab them all and see which one is the best.

I found this here
_http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1728

It says "free"...

Project Gutenberg offers over 36,000 free ebooks to download to your PC, Kindle, iPad, iPhone, Android or other portable device. Choose between ePub, Kindle, HTML and simple text formats.

:)

Laura said:
Just to give a clue: the reason I am asking is because I'm finishing a second book that interprets the Odyssey. The reason I am reading it is because of the growing number of scholars who are convinced that the Bible ripped off Homer and other Greek - and some Mesopotamian - literature. That is what started this research path.

Okay, so I'm reading these books which, of course, necessitates some careful reading of the Odyssey itself. It's rather shocking to realize that this is an instruction manual about hyperdimensional realities, STS/STO, and a host of other very interesting concepts including psychopathology. It is basically a manual for living in a world controlled by gods who may not have our best interests at heart.

What I would like to do is have a group reading of the Odyssey along with me posting some of the fascinating interpretations and comparisons from these books I've been reading. In that way, some seriously interesting ancient perspectives on hyperdimensional realities can be exposed and understood.

I'm sure the text is online for free somewhere though having a good hardcopy in your hands can't be beat.

I've never read the Iliad or Odyssey as they were written, and I'd love a discussion like this.

What interpretations are you using Laura? Would it help if we could find the same books or would it be better if we all just grabbed what can be had and compare notes?

I just finished a couple books by Dan Simmons called Olympos and Ilium, that were combinations of the Iliad and Odyssey, Shakespeare, Proust, and a melange of other themes/figures. It got pretty tedious, and tended to read like the author made a bet with someone that he could accomplish all this in a two volume set. ;)

That said, it was possible to see how the context paralleled what the C's and other sources have said regarding hyperdimensional beings and other issues, even from Simmons work.

I have the book in Spanish, starting to read it :)

With a degree in Classics I have read it many times. :) A year or two ago was the last time, that reading was for fun.

I have a few copies and would be willing to make one or two available to the network if helpful.

Cheers.

Mr. Premise said:
Laura said:
Just to give a clue: the reason I am asking is because I'm finishing a second book that interprets the Odyssey. The reason I am reading it is because of the growing number of scholars who are convinced that the Bible ripped off Homer and other Greek - and some Mesopotamian - literature. That is what started this research path.

Okay, so I'm reading these books which, of course, necessitates some careful reading of the Odyssey itself. It's rather shocking to realize that this is an instruction manual about hyperdimensional realities, STS/STO, and a host of other very interesting concepts including psychopathology. It is basically a manual for living in a world controlled by gods who may not have our best interests at heart.

What I would like to do is have a group reading of the Odyssey along with me posting some of the fascinating interpretations and comparisons from these books I've been reading. In that way, some seriously interesting ancient perspectives on hyperdimensional realities can be exposed and understood.

I'm sure the text is online for free somewhere though having a good hardcopy in your hands can't be beat.

That sounds great! I also read it too many years ago to count.

Make that another.

Approaching Infinity said:
Here's an online translation from the Perseus Project ( ;) ).

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.01.0136

Thanks for that, Approaching Infinity, I've bookmarked it.

I have not read it. I will be getting the book asap.

Just re-read again not too long ago (after watching Troy for the billionth time-I know it's not "historically" accurate but I like it just the same-Sean Bean plays a wonderful Ulysses)

You can get a PDF copy of Homer's Oddyssey and the Illiad (Butler's translations in English) here:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/search.htm and there are numerous other topics available as well-

I find this to be an an invaluable source for many texts on ancient culture and religion, esoteric etc.

Just a note:

the Fagles, Lattimore and Fitzgerald translations are generally considered to be the best, not in any order.

I prefer the Fitzgerald translation though Lattimore is closer to the original Greek.

Perseus @ Tufts (The link Approaching Infinity posted) is also very solid.

FYI

Back
Top Bottom