The Vegetarian Myth

Hey @Fluffy - I know what you mean about gagging and not producing saliva. I put a small amount of bone broth in my meal yesterday. I lost my tastebuds and saliva - could barely chew. I learnt how deeply ingrained the mental block is - my physical reaction and mental discomfort were ‘off the charts’ irrational. Is the mental block a program or the result of attachment(s), do you think?

It could be an attachment, but it's a complex question! I think that programs and mental blocks and attachments are all interconnected ways of talking about a similar symptom.

For instance, maybe someone picks up a learned behaviour at a young age (a program) that causes them to doubt their own ability. This may result in a thought pattern where they become convinced of their own worthlessness. This becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy and they rarely try anything outside of their comfort zone (a mental block).

So this person is embodying a certain FRV of self-doubt. A spirit attachment often requires some kind of frequency match. So an entity or an energy could then attach themselves to this person in order to 'feel sad together', or any number of other reasons.

I think the key thing that I've learned is that the 'soil has been prepared' before an attachment happens. The soil (of our Soul) is prepared by our own choices - whether these choices are conscious ones or automatic and unconscious.

In my own case, there were a ton of 'weeds' growing in my field of potential, in large part due to my choices to indulge in laziness, mediocrity and victimhood. I was telling myself that all the weeds are just fine as they - they are natural, after all, and 'this is who I am'. In truth, I just didn't want to expend the effort of getting down on my hands and knees and doing the hard work of pulling them up, year after year after year - due to my program of self-doubt and good ol' pain avoidance. I didn't want to plant anything because I was convinced it would just fail anyways. Meanwhile, I was really jealous of everyone else's garden! And resentment is a huge energy drain.

Anyways, someone can have attachments removed and get specialized help in pulling up the weeds, which is a really powerful healing modality. But it's also good to practice the groundwork of getting dirty on the hand and knees, clearing our field and learning to sowing a good crop of thoughts. Year after year, the weeds have less and less space to take root as the garden grows.
So programs, mental blocks and attachments are all different manifestations, but they're all interrelated indicators of a certain lesson to be learned.

Your post reminded me of some exercises in Levine's book In An Unspoken Voice, where he talks about eating, the jaw as a source of tension, and becoming aware of our learned patterns of sensation. I see someone has already suggested these kinda exercises, but thought you might find it interesting, in particular because it grounds the above discussion of programs, mental blocks and attachments in the body:

Sensation Patterns

The next task is to begin to recognize and work with patterned responses of sensation. In particular, you will begin to notice what various sensations (i.e., tensions, contractions, aches, pains, etc.) tend to emerge in sequences or in groups. For example, you may notice that a "knot" in the belly or tightening of the anus is associated with a suppression or holding of breath. At first this additional task may increase frustration and even stir up fear. It may seem excessively difficult to follow so many sensations (a task initially difficult for single focus), and as they connect with each other, there will be the possibility of becoming overwhelmed or "stuck with them forever."

These concerns are legitimate. However, as you begin to gain mastery through practice, rather extraordinary things may begin to happen. You will be moving toward some of the root causes of these tension patterns. These stale constellations of habitual discomfort form the underlying maladaptive organization of all conflicts and unresolved traumatic residue. Through the following experiential exercises you have the opportunity to "see" for yourself, rather than believe on my word alone, the hypothesis that is spelled out in this text. Although it may take persistence and dealing with an intensification of the resistance associated with these complexes, the potential benefits range from greater relaxation and alertness and deeper sleep to more vitality and aliveness. It is also possible to eliminate, sometimes instantaneously, psychosomatic, emotional and psychological symptoms that may have plagued you for decades.

One of the keys in this process is to eliminate the idea that any of these sensations are insignificant. While they may appear that way to you, labeling them as such interferes with their advancing in a manner that reveals their significance. Secondly, as you begin to notice the increasing amount and intensity of aches, pains and other disturbing sensations, you might be worried that they will interfere with your daily
functioning and that you will become more symptomatic. Though this might be a fear of yours, it is highly unlikely. If you do feel overwhelmed or "stuck," please enlist the help of a competent therapist trained in body-oriented therapy.*

It is hardly my intention to just open you up to the malfunctioning of your organism and leave you stuck there without an effective course of action or without a way even to retreat. Specifically, it is the purpose of this phase of the experiment to have you explore the chronic patterns of seemingly meaningless tensions and sensations that have become all-too-familiar features. Realize that these sensations were there long before you became deliberately aware of them. Furthermore, you will find that continuing application of directed awareness is exactly what will allow for "corrective procedures"—not so much by doing anything but by standing out of the way of your own organism's innate capacity for self-regulation.

The Continuity of Experience

The previous explorations involved proprioception and kinesthesia as the basis for awareness of the body's tendency toward action. In this exercise we now begin to explore the fusion of internal with external experience. This processing of the organism/environmental field is what steers our forward course.

Feeling is a continuous process involving varying degrees of pleasantness and unpleasantness. Feeling tones (based on physical sensations) are unique registrars of experience. They are the way that we become aware of our concerns and how we can go about satisfying them. These contours of feeling, however, are often unnoticed. This is in large part because of our lack of sensitivity to inner experiencing or because sensations are often hidden in the shadow of the more intense emotions. Most people are unaware of these nuances that are overshadowed by the periodic upheaval of discontinuous intense emotions that appear to come from nowhere. They may seem wholly irrational and even "dangerous," leading to suppression. This only further deadens the subtlety of the continuous feeling tones ... which in turn leads to the eruption of more overbearing emotional states punctuating those by increasing the flattening and deadness ... and so on. This is how various feeling tones become stifled before they are born into awareness. They are aborted during gestation, never completing what they were designed for: namely, directing action. The consequence of this lack is the evoking of "secondary emotions." These spurious emotions override (and are, unfortunately, often confused with) the spontaneously arising ones.

Exercise 4: Mindful Chewing

The jaw is one of the places that most people carry considerable tension. There are reasons for this. The following exercise may serve to illuminate both reasons for this typical "holding pattern" and what may lie on the other side of it, as it dissolves:

At your next meal, or with a crisp apple in hand, take a good "aggressive" bite into a food that you desire. Really, take a good bite out of it and then begin chewing deliberately. Continue chewing, slowly, mindfully, until the food turns to liquid. As you do this, become aware of other sensations and reactions in your body. If you feel the urge to swallow, try to restrain it—to "play the edge" of feeling the urge to swallow, when it arises, and continue to focus on gently chewing. This may be difficult and uncomfortable, so be patient. Note any impulses you might have such as the urge to swallow, tear, vomit, or associations to things going on in your life—present or past. If reactions such as nausea or anxiety become too strong, please don't push yourself. Make written notes of your reactions.

Exercise 5: Goldfish Jaw

Attend to the tension in your jaw and mouth. Notice whether your lips and teeth are touching. Slowly begin to part your lips and slightly drop your chin and lower jaw. Notice any impulses or urges. Next, infinitesimally slowly, begin opening and closing your mouth as though you were a goldfish. Gradually, almost imperceptibly, increase the range of your opening and closing. When you come to a point of resistance, gently back off and then slowly move back into the resistance. Do this several times, finding a rhythm. Likely, you will have a strong urge to yawn. Gently try to resist this and move into the feeling of yawning without actually giving into a full yawn. This process will almost surely be maddening, but try to stay with it as best as you can. Note times when you have an urge to shake or tremble or if it brings up emotional feelings or images. Note also if you seem to be fighting or bracing against it or to surrender into it. Again record your experience and compare it as you repeat this exercise over time.

Facts!

FuWWd_cakAAtTqC

Time has passed and now I can tell (as the prommised updat), that I have no problem tho eat meat and products of it.
I do now eat it every now and then, not daily but at least once a week, in different amounts.

Edit: minor corrections

a global study involving almost 150,000 people, the first of its kind, found the healthiest diet can include red meat and whole fats from animal sources.

The authors recommendations are still a bit off in my opinion, way too high on the dairy(though at least whole-fat dairy), but still good to see this kind of research appearing in the mainstream (although this kind of research does seem to periodically appear while having little impact overall).

They were also 18 per cent less likely to suffer from cardiovascular disease and 19 per cent less at risk of a stroke.

The study covered more than 20 countries and the findings hold true internationally, the scientists said.

Dr Andrew Mente,study lead author from McMaster University in Canada, said the results “have profound implications for diets globally”.
Data show that the people with the worst diets in the study, scoring less than one point overall,actually had the lowest level of saturated fat intake. Avoiding saturated fat sis a central tenet of many modern diets yet those with the smallest amount intheir daily food were the least healthy, the study found.

“[This] strongly suggests that current targeted dietary guidance limiting the consumption of saturated fat and dairy in many populations of the world may not be warranted,”Dr Mente said.

“The Pure diet is similar to several other common diet patterns like the Mediterranean diet which emphasises increased fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts, and fish, with some differences in their focus on different types of fats and the consumption of dairy.
A recent special issue of a scientific journal brought together dozens of food experts who concluded that meat is crucial for human health and they called for an end to the “zealotry” pushing vegetarian and vegan diets.

je ne comprends pas??
One of the reasons many vegetarians choose to avoid meat is because of 'animal cruelty.' They are outraged when people who eat meat don't feel guilty eating animals. So the joke is a play on the attitude of 'meat eaters,' as if they reacted like vegetarians towards meat.
'Killing' a vegetable is like killing an animal, except that vegetarians don't view it that way, which is hypocritical in my opinion. It's an STS world—no need to pity the natural order of things.

One of the reasons many vegetarians choose to avoid meat is because of 'animal cruelty.' They are outraged when people who eat meat don't feel guilty eating animals. So the joke is a play on the attitude of 'meat eaters,' as if they reacted like vegetarians towards meat.
'Killing' a vegetable is like killing an animal, except that vegetarians don't view it that way, which is hypocritical in my opinion. It's an STS world—no need to pity the natural order of things.
thanks for the explanation.

this is what i wondered about: is it ok to eat vegetables when taking into account that veggies also are conscious beings, as evidenced by their intelligent growth. it is true that we do not hear the agony cries of vegetables when we pluck them, while animals are more clearly related to us and we can have a more evident emotional link. so, it is indeed a sts world and i wonder what the moral implications are.

i believe that we are designed to be fruit eaters, because the envelope of the fruit around the kernel is a clear consumable. but fruits are not always available and we have invented methods to make them durable, but these methods imply cooking the fruit, which then becomes artificial and not acceptable to the naturopathe. (i am thinking of irene legrand).

on the other side, some animals generate large amounts of offspring, which can then be consumed by other predators, and in the end those surviving are just the right amount to continue the species at a steady state. hence, we could eat those species which generate a large numer of children: insects, frogs, fish, cats, dogs, birds, but eating them raw is not an attractive option...my cat has no problem with catching a bird which i would not eat raw...and could not have catched in the first place...

this would then indicate that humans are not originating from earth... did the cass say anything about this?

did the cass say anything about this?

A selection from a quick search on Cassiopaea Transcripts Search with the word "eating":

Session 23 October 1994

Q: (L) Is a vegetarian style of eating good for one?

A: Not usually.

Q: (L) What did human beings eat before the Fall?

A: Vegetarian.

Q: (L) So, until we go through the transition we are not really designed to be vegetarian?

A: Correct.

Session 11 June 2011

Q: (L) Okay, let me try to ask it this way: Is the fact that we eat meat detrimental to us spiritually?

A: Absolutely not.

Q: (L) But I would say that just the eating of meat is not a spiritual issue at all. (Perceval) Eating food is a thing of the body. (L) Yeah, I mean we just try to eat in an optimal way to give our bodies the right fuel so that we can do our other work. That's our whole thing is to give the body optimal fuel.

A: There is the difference, see? You eat for optimal fuel, they eat to support an illusion.

Session 20 August 2011

Q: (L) And that's what you meant by not only a doorway, but also a barrier because the person who is on the wrong diet and has schizophrenia is barred from being able to be a bridge between the worlds. They kind of get lost. They're barred from having a normal life, and they're also barred from coming back from their delusions or whatever they're seeing even if they're not delusions. Maybe they’re seeing, but they're unable to help or do anything.

Okay. Now, you made a remark about the diet that is normal for the human being. And I know {name redacted} and a lot of people - not just {name redacted}, but a lot of people - have a problem with a diet that requires you to consume the flesh of other creatures. And I know that we've read what Lierre Keith has written about it, and it's a very moving statement about life and earth and so on and so forth. But I'd like to know if there's something a little more esoteric that we could understand about this? I mean, I don't understand why and how a person can achieve spiritual growth, which is what you seem to be implying throughout all of this stuff that we've been learning, from eating meat. How many other groups have taken a vegetarian pathway and said that this is... I mean, aside from the fact that we now know that agriculture and vegetables and the owning of the land is pure STS destruction... What about fruit? Well of course they didn't have fruit then. Like everybody, I'm having a little problem with this. So can you help me out here?

A: You know the saying: Only through the shedding of blood is there remission of sins?

Q: (L) Yes.

A: And what about: Take eat, this is my body?

Q: (L) Yes.

A: And: Take, drink, this is my blood?

Q: (L) Yes. (Burma) So it sounds like they're saying that there's a hidden thing in the whole resurrection or salvation by the blood thing. That agriculture is evil and we could return by going on an animal-based diet?

A: No not exactly. When humankind "fell" into gross matter, a way was needed to return. This way simply is a manifestation of the natural laws. Consciousness must "eat" also. This is a natural function of the life giving nature of the environment in balance. The Earth is the Great Mother who gives her body, literally, in the form of creatures with a certain level of consciousness for the sustenance of her children of the cosmos. This is the original meaning of those sayings.

Q: (L) So, eating flesh also means eating consciousness which accumulates, I'm assuming is what is being implied here, or what feeds our consciousness so that it grows in step with our bodies? Is that close?

A: Close enough.

Q: (Ailen) And when you eat veggies you're basically eating a much lower level of consciousness. (L) Not only that, but in a sense you're rejecting the gift and you're not feeding consciousness. And that means that all eating of meat should be a sacrament.

A: Yes

Q: (Burma) With agriculture, you're not only rejecting the gift, you're turning around and beating up the Mother. (L) Well that sure puts a whole different light on the whole Cain and Abel thing! {Interesting that the original “vegetarian” was the first murderer, too.}

A: Yes.

this is what i wondered about: is it ok to eat vegetables when taking into account that veggies also are conscious beings, as evidenced by their intelligent growth. it is true that we do not hear the agony cries of vegetables when we pluck them, while animals are more clearly related to us and we can have a more evident emotional link. so, it is indeed a sts world and i wonder what the moral implications are.
The free will of higher density beings takes precedence over the free will of lower density beings.
Q: (L) You have said on occasion that free will is the most important law of consciousness in creation. Why can we not exercise our free will and refuse to be abducted and experimented upon?
A: Those who abduct are exercising their free will in doing so.
Q: (L) Why does their free will have precedence over our free will?
A: Why does your free will have precedence over density 2 and 1 beings?
When we walk down the street, we don't apologize to the rocks that we have scratched, nor do we wait for insects to move away before stepping on the ground, and neither do we teach algebra to plants. That's life.
this would then indicate that humans are not originating from earth... did the cass say anything about this?
Yes. 😉
Q: (L) We were originally seeded somewhere else? Where? Orion? What is the name of that planet?
A: D'Ankhiar. Ankh is ancient symbolism of this planet. Is female symbol. Stands for mother planet.
Q: (L) Is this other planet our original home?

Q: (L) What is it like back Home?
A: Spent. Cindered. Burned up.
Q: (L) So it's true, you can't go home?

The free will of higher density beings takes precedence over the free will of lower density beings.

When we walk down the street, we don't apologize to the rocks that we have scratched, nor do we wait for insects to move away before stepping on the ground, and neither do we teach algebra to plants. That's life.

Yes. 😉
thank you for having taken the time to answer.
still, bouddhists swipe the ground on which thet step and indians replace stones they disturbed. personally, i have always avoided to step on insects.
seeing how "much" i achieved in life, i do not think myself superior to all that is around me. and whatever math i have learned, i have forgotten it...

An old classic.

Listen up brothers and sisters,
come hear my desperate tale.
I speak of our friends of nature,
trapped in the dirt like a jail.

Vegetables live in oppression,
served on our tables each night.
This killing of veggies is madness,
I say we take up the fight.

Salads are only for murderers,
coleslaw's a fascist regime.
Don't think that they don't have feelings,
just cause a radish can't scream.

I've heard the screams of the vegetables
(scream, scream, scream)
Watching their skins being peeled
(having their insides revealed)
Grated and steamed with no mercy
(burning off calories)
How do you think that feels
(bet it hurts really bad)
Carrot juice constitutes murder
(and that's a real crime)
Greenhouses prisons for slaves
(let my vegetables go)
It's time to stop all this gardening
(it's dirty as hell)
Let's call a spade a spade
(is a spade is a spade is a spade)

I saw a man eating celery,
so I beat him black and blue.
If he ever touches a sprout again,
I'll bite him clean in two.

I'm a political prisoner,
trapped in a windowless cage.
Cause I stopped the slaughter of turnips
by killing five men in a rage.

I told the judge when he sentenced me,
This is my finest hour,
I'd kill those farmers again
just to save one more cauliflower.

How low as people do we dare to stoop,
Making young broccolis bleed in the soup?
Untie your beans, uncage your tomatoes
Let potted plants free, don't mash that potato!

I've heard the screams of the vegetables
(scream, scream, scream)
Watching their skins being peeled
(fates in the stir-fry are sealed)
Grated and steamed with no mercy
(you fat gourmet slob)
How do you think that feels?
(leave them out in the field)
Carrot juice constitutes murder
(V8's genocide)
Greenhouses prisons for slaves
(yes, your composts are graves)
It's time to stop all this gardening
(take up macrame)
Let's call a spade a spade
(is a spade, is a spade, is a spade, is a spade...)

Interesting article that I read from Dr Mercola:

A Critical Look at 'The China Study' and Other Food Plans​

+ Although veganism has some health benefits, it is also loaded with many disadvantages and is unsuitable for many, especially if you have certain genetic polymorphisms predisposing you to poor beta-carotene conversion
+ People with polymorphisms causing poor conversion of beta-carotene are at high risk for reproductive problems, skin and eye problems and poor dental health
+ The blood type diet, detailed in “Eat Right 4 Your Type,” often works well for those with blood type O, as those recommendations are consistent with a healthy diet. It typically does not work well for the other blood types
+ Nutrient cycling (cycling between higher and lower amounts of fat, net carbs and protein) and cycling between high and low calorie intakes (fasting and feasting) appear to be foundational criteria for optimal biological functioning
+ If you’re on a ketogenic diet, it’s important to cycle high and low amounts of net carbs once your body is able to efficiently burn fat for fuel in order to optimize your metabolism. Cyclical fasting is also recommended

Attachments

• the-china-study-and-other-nutrition-plans-pdf.pdf
    177.3 KB · Views: 6
The silent killer threatens to turn Vojvodina into a desert

If the attitude towards the land is not improved in the coming period, Vojvodina could turn from the "granary of Europe" into a desert, experts warn. In the last fifty years, the level of organic matter has dropped drastically. In the past, as many as three-quarters of the arable land in the north of the country had more than 5 percent humus - today, only one percent of the fields have such a composition. Experts call this degradation the silent killer of soil.

The silent killer of the soil is rampant in Serbia. If not stopped, food production could be questionable in the coming decades, experts point out.

"There are a lot of soil degradation processes. Floods and erosion are obvious. And then, in a short period of time, action is taken to stop the processes or remediate the consequences," says Dr. Jovica Vasin, pedologist at the Soil and Agroecology Laboratory of the Institute for Agriculture and Vegetables in Novi Sad, which is one of the four institutes of national importance for the Republic of Serbia.

"However, the process of soil destruction that is the most important and the most pronounced is the loss of organic matter. We call it the silent killer of the soil. Silent, because it lasts for a very long time. The killer is because the content of organic matter in arable land and in central Serbia, especially in Vojvodina, has already reached to such a low level that it endangers agricultural production," explains our interlocutor.

In the past, most of Vojvodina's land was rich in humus.

"About 75 percent of the surface of Vojvodina is covered by two types of soil, chernozem and rite chert, which in the second half of the last century had an organic matter content above five percent. Today, this humus content is present on only one percent of the surface. The problem is in rapidly decreasing livestock fund - for the past three decades at a rate of two to three percent per year. This is the answer to the question why most fields in Serbia do not use manure as an organic fertilizer, but mineral fertilizers," says Branislav Gulan, an agro-economic analyst.

"The negative effects of the reduction of humus are already visible, because despite the implementation of complete agrotechnical measures, the yields are decreasing," adds our interlocutor.

Without manure, it is not worth watering the fields

Intensive agriculture cannot be imagined without irrigation. Existing and new irrigation systems are mostly discussed in summer and in dry years. However, even if we water far more superficially than we do, the question is what kind of results we would achieve in the long term with this kind of relationship we have with the land.

"It is good that new irrigation systems are being built. According to the data of the Republic Institute of Statistics, water now reaches only 1.5 percent of arable land in Serbia, while in the world as much as 17 percent of the land is irrigated. However, if in the next half century we water fertile arable land, whose soil quality is constantly declining, and if there is no natural fertilizer, we will create a desert from the grain of the land, in terms of yields," Gulan warns.

"The best confirmation of such a situation is that the value of production has been stagnant for decades at the level of between four and five billion dollars per year. Analysts have calculated that agriculture in Serbia for the last three and a half decades has had an annual growth rate of only 0.45 percent. According to the last valid Development Strategy of agriculture, which was adopted by the Government of Serbia at the end of July 2014, and which is valid for another year, the growth should have been 9.1 or, in a milder version, 6.1 percent. I remind you that the strategy should have been adopted by the Serbian Parliament, but after pointing out unreality, the document was never sent to the parliament," added Gulan.

The level of humus in the fields is extremely low

The process of soil degradation, which involves the reduction of organic matter, takes a very long time. Ever since the "green revolution" of the seventies of the last century, when the use of mineral fertilizers increased.

"At that time, it was thought that it would be enough to feed the plants. However, due to the reduced use of organic fertilizers and some other bad practices in agriculture, such as, for example, burning crop residues, removing crop residues for energy production from areas that are not adequate for that, we have come to a situation where the dominant content of humus in the soil in Vojvodina is around three, or even below three percent," says Vasin.

"In professional practice, this is considered to indicate when plots should be fertilized with increased amounts of organic fertilizers, because the soil is so degraded that it requires a measure of repair," adds our interlocutor.

In order to achieve good yields on some land, it is first necessary to know what its quality is.

"The recommendation is to perform a soil analysis before starting agricultural production on a certain plot. Only based on the results of testing the basic parameters of soil fertility such as pH value, calcium carbonate content, organic matter-humus content, easily accessible phosphorus and potassium content can be obtained guidelines for the rational application of fertilizers, mineral and organic forms", explains Radmila Pivić, scientific advisor at the Soil Institute.

Measures to improve soil quality

The process of enriching the soil with humus takes time. As long as the degradation lasted, experts say, it is necessary to improve the situation with the land. Because we need to stop bad practices as soon as possible and start processes that are beneficial for the soil.

"It is essential to increase the application of manure. However, due to the reduced livestock stock, we do not have enough manure. That is why we must apply organic fertilizers that could be a substitute for manure. For example, composting different organic materials from both urban waste and waste that is a by-product of the food industry," says Vasin.

"Harvest residues must not be burned, it is preferable to plow them and add them to the soil. Also, during the construction of a bioenergy plant, one should take into account where the raw material base for such a plant is, i.e. from which areas the harvest residues will be removed. These can only be those areas which have enough organic matter in them. No areas where we have a problem with humus, which, unfortunately, have become dominant," adds our interlocutor.

Experts point out that land should be used rationally.

"For successful agricultural production, it is necessary to respect the correct crop rotation, combine crops, grow intercrops and winter cover crops, implement green fertilization, mulching. There are also measures that foresee a reduction of nutrient losses in the soil by at least 50 percent and a reduction in the use of fertilizers by at least 20 percent until 2030, while ensuring that the fertility of the soil does not decrease," says Pivić.

"One example of the new green model is carbon sequestration in agriculture and encouraging practices that store carbon dioxide in the organic matter of the soil. This can be achieved by applying high-quality composted fertilizers, introducing wider crop rotations, cover crops, green manures and, if necessary, melioration measures - calcification and by plastering the soil", adds our interlocutor.

The state should encourage farmers to increase the level of humus in the soil

According to experts, for certain measures that increase the percentage of humus in the soil, it is necessary for the state to help farmers with incentives.

"Let's say sideration or green manure is a measure that can significantly improve the situation. This implies that plants that are intended for plowing are grown. The complete, underground and above-ground mass is used to plow into the soil in the period when the vegetation is the largest. This increases the content humus and other soil properties related to organic matter," explains Vasin.

"The problem to such an extent is that the farmer does not benefit directly from that one vegetation. He benefits from it, but it is long-term. In the short term, he does not have a marketable product that he can sell, and he has investment costs in fuel and seeds. That is why state subsidies are needed to help farmers who work as a sideration measure", specified our interlocutor.

Humus is not only important for agriculture

Humus greatly affects the water, air and heat regime of the soil.

"Soil that has enough organic matter retains moisture for a longer period of time than soil with a low content of organic matter. This provides plants with additional moisture and those on such soil better tolerate drought. This is very important in today's conditions," says Vasin.

"Usually we say that organic matter for the soil is the same as honey for humans. It is a small percentage in the total volume of the soil, only a few percent, but from the aspect of importance and influence on biological activity and on the yield itself, which is important to the farmer, it is very significant ", explains our interlocutor.

In addition to agriculture, humus is also important because it prevents harmful processes in nature.

"Many believe that the solution to global warming is precisely to increase the content of organic matter, i.e. organic carbon in the soil. It is thus bound and does not go into the atmosphere, greenhouse gases that cause warming are not created. The question of the content of organic matter is not important only for agriculture or a local community, but it has global importance for today's civilization," Vasin points out.

The solution to this serious problem should certainly be sought in the recovery of animal husbandry, which in Serbia participates in the total agricultural production with less than 30 percent, while in developed countries it is more than 60 percent.

In order to maintain good soil quality, it would be optimal, experts say, to add 40 tons of manure per hectare every fourth year. For something like that, Serbia needs to have two conditional heads of cattle per hectare, and we don't have even ten times less.

It is interesting that the six largest owners of agricultural land in Serbia have about 110,000 hectares of arable land. According to the previous calculation, only they should have 220,000 bulls. And Serbia now does not have enough cattle for a loading on a ship - which is about 2,000 head. In our country, there are currently only about 320,000 bulls, cows, and calves together.

I think that this article completely busts the vegetarian myth. As the experts explain, you cannot have a fertile land without an adequate number of domestic animals that will fertilize that land.

Back
Top Bottom