The X-Files reboot

I always avoided this show on TV because I don't like TV in general. Glad I found it on Netflix, half way through Series 2 and it is very interesting. Lots of cool topics covered and am looking forward to watching some more this evening!

I don't know where to place this article. Maybe this thread will match.

FBI's 'G-Man' Image: From Comic Books To 'The X-Files' And 'The Silence Of The Lambs'
[...]
That archetype of the clean-cut, indefatigable and incorruptible agent was largely the invention of J. Edgar Hoover, who led the FBI for 48 years, from May 1924 to May 1972. In addition to his position leading the Department of Justice's top law enforcement unit, Hoover also championed it as a pseudo-Hollywood producer.

The early years of the FBI coincided with the start of the comic book era, which inspired Hoover to take advantage of the new medium. According to Ronald Kessler, author of The Secrets of the FBI, Hoover correctly perceived this was a direct channel to shaping the hearts and minds of young Americans, and that led him to take an active role in creating characters that depicted FBI agents as modern-day knights.

"That helped him stay in office and also helped the FBI do its work, because if people trust the FBI they're going to be more likely to cooperate and give tips," said Kessler.
[...]

Back
Top Bottom