Ultra Simple Diet

Hi Gertrudes,

Yes the fat consumption is critical, I was not really consuming any fat, other then olive oil for the past month or so. I would just use the olive oil to cook my food in. I was afraid that maybe I could not tolerate the fat well or that all the fat propaganda might actually be true or partially true (even though I full well know that Fat is good/needed). Since this Wednesday Ive started eating eggs and cooking my meats in ghee. Last night I had pork chops cooked in ghee and they were tasty. Though I have noticed that after eating a fatty meal I feel a bit fuzzy, lethargic, and my brain fog increases a bit, probably a transition reaction. But after 30mins to an hour I am fine, so I think I should maybe gradually increase the fat consumption and maybe increase my carb consumption a bit. Though the only thing I am afraid of is that I will lose more weight and that is the last thing I want. I know Psyche has said that if one wants to not lose weight then they need to eat more fat, but since I think it might be a good idea to gradually increase the fat, I might need to increase the carb and meat intake, until I reach a significant amount of fat intake. Though other then feeling a bit fuzzy afterwords I feel like I am tolerating the ghee well. I will be adding lard and duck fat to the equation.

Hi Megan,

Yes I am aware of those doctors that try to push drugs on you, though my healthcare provider makes money by limiting treatment and just taking our money for monthly payments. Kaiser Permanente, from personal experiences is pretty useless.

Hi Psyche,

Yes I have decided to count down to the 72g mark, though I will actually do that in a couple of weeks time. I find it somewhat hard to eat enough carbs without having cereals to eat, but I think I can mange. For me cereals seem like a BIG NO NO! Ive decided to start reading "Life Without Bread" first, since it is highly geared toward our diet.

Hi dugdeep,

Thanks for tip I will look in to it.

I have to say that it feels like I am walking up from a bad dream, the last 6 to 8 months were completely hellish for me. I do not know what exactly happened but I am pretty sure the toxic foods and the stress from family tension played a pretty big role in causing me to go nuts! Hopefully I will be able to recover from all the damage Ive done to myself with time and effort.

Thanks for the advice.

Gee said:
Yes I am aware of those doctors that try to push drugs on you, though my healthcare provider makes money by limiting treatment and just taking our money for monthly payments. Kaiser Permanente, from personal experiences is pretty useless.

Well, as it happens, that is my HMO of 35 years. Hopefully I will be on a different plan soon that provides more flexibility. After my experience with "anti-coagulation therapy" last year I have had no desire to darken their doors. 6 months of warfarin, with close monitoring of blood clotting rate. They they pronounced me "cured" in a telephone call from a technician, with no follow-up. That's the procedure. All they were doing was following a procedure. No thinking required. But then 95% of people with the problem I had have sudden death as the first visible symptom, so I guess they aren't all that concerned (or knowledgeable) about the other 5%.

In theory, non-profits have additional incentive to focus on prevention, but in practice they don't have much freedom to do so. As long as "health care" is a "market" I don't suppose things will change. I am exploring ways that things might change within the medical association that I work for, but it's a little different situation ("safety net" clinics). I am not terribly optimistic but it seems worth a try.

Megan said:
I also have problems with fat digestion, but I am going to hold off on the bile salts for now.

Megan, have you read what Psych has done with her sluggish liver issues? I have done what she did and it worked wonderfully to get my liver back in gear.

Nienna Eluch said:
Megan said:
I also have problems with fat digestion, but I am going to hold off on the bile salts for now.

Megan, have you read what Psych has done with her sluggish liver issues? I have done what she did and it worked wonderfully to get my liver back in gear.

Yes, I am taking a Milk Thistle supplement and it doesn't appear to have any unpleasant side effects. I think I may just need to be a little more gradual in making changes. I dropped my carb intake from 72 to 20 rather abruptly, and made several other changes at the same time. In retrospect, this was possibly a mistake, but it answered a question that I really needed answered, which was whether there was anything I could do that would stop excessive fermentation in my gut. Well, that stopped it so the answer is "yes." Unfortunately, fermentation is not the only thing that stopped. :) It appears that I may have a fiber dependency as described in Fiber Menace.

The other thing that is causing me trouble, besides the digestive aids, is Alpha Lipoic Acid (the "other" ALA). It apparently gives me a mild form of indigestion, but just sometimes. I can't figure out a pattern to it, but I have the problem right now.

Things are indeed moving more normally again, but it is amazing how a small carb boost (from 20 to about 50 g/d) seems to have knocked me out of ketosis. All it actually took was part of one sweet potato, eaten over a couple of days, and maybe a little excess protein. I can really feel the difference, and it's not good. So I fed the sweet potato to the compost barrel. I am aiming next for about 30-40 g/d from non-starchy mostly green vegetables and watching to see if things continue to move, while I experiment (more carefully) with Betane HCl. I will return to the bile acids later.

Psyche said:
Fatty meats has to be emphasized, as they need some 70% calorie intake from fats. Pork seems to be a safer source for fatty meats when we are dealing with secondary food intolerances (when we react to the soy or corn or other grains the animal ate).

Does this mean that industrial pork is alright for eating? I have been on corn-fed pork for the most part of my diet, since organic, grass-fed pork is not available around here. Besides that I've also been able to get goat and lamb which is hopefully fully grass-fed. But the majority so far has been that pork (they say that it's antibiotic free, and fed with lactobacillus). I'm not sure but I think my recent outbreak of acne and greasy forehead may be caused by it? Just a wild guess. I'm upping the omega-3 as recommended on the LWB thread to compensate for all that omega-6.

beetlemaniac said:
Psyche said:
Fatty meats has to be emphasized, as they need some 70% calorie intake from fats. Pork seems to be a safer source for fatty meats when we are dealing with secondary food intolerances (when we react to the soy or corn or other grains the animal ate).

Does this mean that industrial pork is alright for eating? I have been on corn-fed pork for the most part of my diet, since organic, grass-fed pork is not available around here. Besides that I've also been able to get goat and lamb which is hopefully fully grass-fed. But the majority so far has been that pork (they say that it's antibiotic free, and fed with lactobacillus). I'm not sure but I think my recent outbreak of acne and greasy forehead may be caused by it? Just a wild guess. I'm upping the omega-3 as recommended on the LWB thread to compensate for all that omega-6.

I think that the quote was referring to "safety" in the context of food intolerance. The conditions under which "industrial" or "conventional" pork is raised are unimaginable. I doubt that there is any safety in that. Organic pork can be hard to find (I can hardly find any here), but look for products that are humanely raised without antibiotics, and if you suspect a sensitivity then do an elimination test.

For those people suffering now from minor rashes, particularly if accompanied by any of these symptoms:
chronic fatigue; poor or restless sleep; difficulty awakening or grogginess upon awakening; brittle hair; thin, brittle nails; constipation; and dry, flaking skin
- may be sensitive to Arachindonic Acid (AA). AA is found in all meats, especially red meats and organ meats, as well as in egg yolks (and in coconut oil).

Eades quote in Protein Power that AA is located both in the muscle tissue and in the fat. The quantities are higher in red meat because red meat has more fat, which, at least in today’s feedlot animals, contains high levels of AA. Animals have the same eicosanoid synthesis cascade that we do, and when they are grain-fed and fattened, the high-carbonate grain stimulates their insulin just as it does ours. Fats are stored in fatty tissue in the same ratio that they occur in the blood, so cattle – and people – having large quantities of circulating AA will store large quantities as well. The good news is that range-fed cattle and wild game have much less fat to begin with, and what fat they have contains little AA.

It may help to eat more fatty fish, such as mackerel or sardine, along with white meat such as turkey and chicken, supplemented with other fats, such as beef dripping, lard, goose, or duck fat - to add variety and reduce the AA.

Megan said:
It appears that I may have a fiber dependency as described in Fiber Menace.
I think that I may be another one, too, due to age and with it, hemorrhoids.

Trevrizent said:
For those people suffering now from minor rashes, particularly if accompanied by any of these symptoms:
chronic fatigue; poor or restless sleep; difficulty awakening or grogginess upon awakening; brittle hair; thin, brittle nails; constipation; and dry, flaking skin
- may be sensitive to Arachindonic Acid (AA).

[...]

The good news is that range-fed cattle and wild game have much less fat to begin with, and what fat they have contains little AA.

Thank you for this, Trevrizent. I have all of the above symptoms except chronic fatigue, rashes and brittle nails. 50% of my diet is currently red meat. I'm also getting back into lifting weights and exercise because I've lost a lot of muscle over the past few years. Red meat seems the best way to get the protein, creatine and L-glutamine that is otherwise only available in horrible synthetic powder forms. For the last year I've been buying regular red meat from the local market ($7 per kg is a lot cheaper than the supermarket's $14-25 per kg). But all of these options are unlikely to be range fed.

While I'm busy reading the latest diet books (Vegetarian Myth, Life Without Bread, The Art & Science of Low Carb Living), I'm going to hunt down some local butchers and see if I can find some range fed beef!

may be sensitive to Arachindonic Acid (AA)

As AA is an Omega 6, supplementing with lots of (animal based) Omega 3 (such as high strength fish oil) may help balance things out.

Trevrizent said:
Megan said:
It appears that I may have a fiber dependency as described in Fiber Menace.
I think that I may be another one, too, due to age and with it, hemorrhoids.

The good news is that fiber carbs are not metabolized the way other carbs are, so increasing fiber a little will not have a large effect on net carbs. I am thinking (with not a lot of written material or research to go on) that it should be possible, for people with enlarged GI tracts from long-term fiber over-consumption, to find a threshold level of fiber that will allow a low-net-carb diet to work and, hopefully to promote further healing at the same time. I seem to recall that there may be some further relevant details in Fiber Menace; I need to go back and re-read that part.

This is an ongoing experiment for me -- I don't know how much of the above will prove true.

It's important to avoid the kinds and quantities of fiber that cause physical damage through abrasion. This was always a problem for me when my diet was high in bran. I would say that any extra fiber should come only from eating "foundation vegetables" and certainly not from any supplements derived from grains.

Megan said:
It's important to avoid the kinds and quantities of fiber that cause physical damage through abrasion. This was always a problem for me when my diet was high in bran. I would say that any extra fiber should come only from eating "foundation vegetables" and certainly not from any supplements derived from grains.

Well, for the past four weeks that's where my fibre has come from (foundation vegetables). Still playing with Vit C/Magnesium levels, yet to find the right balance.

RedFox said:
may be sensitive to Arachindonic Acid (AA)

As AA is an Omega 6, supplementing with lots of (animal based) Omega 3 (such as high strength fish oil) may help balance things out.

I have yet to find that that is the case, I still take all the high strength fish oils that I was taking before and with lots of animal based fat (lard, dripping, etc). AA is in the meat fat as well as in the flesh, and it is recommended by Eades' to remove as much animal fat as possible to reduce the 'ingrained' AA before eating (difficult when it is organ meat) for those with AA sensitivity.

Trevrizent said:
I have yet to find that that is the case, I still take all the high strength fish oils that I was taking before and with lots of animal based fat (lard, dripping, etc). AA is in the meat fat as well as in the flesh, and it is recommended by Eades' to remove as much animal fat as possible to reduce the 'ingrained' AA before eating (difficult when it is organ meat) for those with AA sensitivity.

I hadn't paid attention to the AA factor. I should try the elimination method (thanks Megan) which I had completely forgotten about, to see whether those poor caged pigs are causing the acne. I had also found that low stomach acid may be causing it. I guess I could implement the elimination method again to find out the cause as well :)

I think that me too I am sensitive to AA. Since a month I am very constipated and feel sad, with fatigue. I have try many things but I was not aware of the AA sensitivity. I feel better now to see that I am not alone with this problem. I will try to eat more fish but since my problem I am afraid to eat, frankly. I don't know what to eat. I have reduce enormously my carb and that is maybe the reason of my constipation. Have to read more and more.

Have a nice day.

Loreta

(Note to mods can you move to the Ultra simple diet thread, made mistake, thanks)
Just a quick update:

I have been eating certain vegetables that I can tolerate, meats, and some fat (NO CEREALS and granola bars lol). My stools have significantly improved after I starting taking HCI, thanks for the tip dugdeep! Though the color of it is light brown, which I looked up on the internet and found that it is caused by low acids in the gut. I have ordered some digestive enzymes, milk thistle, along with some other supplements so hopefully that will facilitate further healing of the gut. Though yesterday I noticed that there was some undigested fat in the toilet, like little blabs floating in the water, probably need some bile. Will probably cut down on the fat a little, too. Other then that I am seeing some improvements with my health, have more energy, and ooo yea I am started to remember my dreams again too :).

For the colonoscopy I decided to postpone it, since seeing the improvement with my stool. I don't know if I really need it, I had a stool analysis done a little while ago and they found nothing. Plus getting sedated, kinda scary. :/

I think I probably need a good month or two, maybe even more of staying grain and dairy free, along with supplementation to really get my body ready for a transition to the low carb diet(72gs). Also need to finish doing all the reading too.

Gee said:
For the colonoscopy I decided to postpone it, since seeing the improvement with my stool. I don't know if I really need it, I had a stool analysis done a little while ago and they found nothing. Plus getting sedated, kinda scary. :/

I would not recommend postponing a colonoscopy. Too many have passed away because of postponement or apathy. Better to know what is going on than throwing darts at a board... I've known people who are no longer here because of not going through that procedure. And don't worry about the sedation, they will give happy/apathy juice. And you shouldn't remember a thing. I get to do the "Scopes" from 2 orifices, Oh-Boy...
:P :P :P

Back
Top Bottom